#1 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 May 2014 - 17:47

Strange that no one, including myself, seems to have reported this (unless I just didn't find).

If I move before Storm has completed casting the animation continues.  The spell itself stops (no more damage and I can still perform any action, including another attack).

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#2 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 18:09

It's always been that way.  I just assumed it's an "in-your-face-you-shouldn't-have-moved-and-now-it's-wasted" sort of thing. :)

8TLwd.jpg

#3 Alteration

Alteration

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 18:10

When you cast a spell, it will finish the animation associated with it, even if you move (which will interrupt the spell).  This is true for all spells.  It's of course most obvious with ground targeted aoe spells like Benediction and Storm.  However, this also applies to instant cast spells such as black fang and detonate.  If you cast it and move before the animation is over, you will fire a shot that deals no damage, and your spell will not go on cooldown.  This also applies to basic attacks; attacking with an essence requires you to stand still for 0.6 seconds (1.66 attack speed) for the animation to finish before you will deal the damage.  This is precisely why a crossbow is the ultimate weapon for kiting, and why bows are absolute trash in comparison.  Imagine you have to stand still for 0.8 seconds each time you do a basic attack while kiting, even slightly longer for "instant" cast spells - you do deal double the damage each attack, but the problem is that whatever you are kiting will kill you in between shots.   

Edited by Alteration, 26 May 2014 - 18:39.

#4 Cygnus

Cygnus

Game Programmer

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Badge

Posted 30 May 2014 - 14:00

The spell effect behavior will vary from spell to spell, shorter cases can come down to lag but for cases like Storm the effects are baked into a scripted sequence.

While this is quite lightweight and better for providing smoother complete animations it does have a downside. There is no way for us to cancel such effects at current so the effect keeps running when you bail out of the attack/channel. There are plans to amend this eventually.

#5 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 15:39

Interesting.

If you need me, I'll be hiding in the forest. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: