• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 NarTaurenPally

NarTaurenPally

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 23:14

How do I gain karma? Ive helped a new player buffed them welcomed them gave advice here and there and it doesnt say ive gained karma? how would i go about receiving it?

#2 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 23:16

pretty sure it hasn't been implemented yet..but from the way they 'introduced' it, was the new player you helped basically awards you with it. it will be a tricky thing to put into the game..if they want it to actually mean something lol

#3 NarTaurenPally

NarTaurenPally

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 23:18

Well even though im gonna get something yet I feel good for it..I cant wait for hcs to keep up the great updates and introduce the amazing button of karma to player to pus-tow upon me. XD

#4 RogueReven

RogueReven

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2012 - 14:17

Will there be both positive and negative karma?

If so you could get some idiots dumping a load of negative karma on your head.

#5 NarTaurenPally

NarTaurenPally

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:05

Didnt think of that..thats true man. I dont wanna help someone and get neg..haha

#6 IzzyDead

IzzyDead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 13:07

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 hbklives

hbklives

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 13 August 2012 - 14:54

How do I gain karma? Ive helped a new player buffed them welcomed them gave advice here and there and it doesnt say ive gained karma? how would i go about receiving it?

Just because you did all this does not instantly give you Karma. The whole point is to try and retain that player until they get a feel for the game. Then, when they get a certain point.. You would get Karma.

But, don't let Karma convolute the whole reason of helping new players.. Help them for the good of the game. The more players we have, the better. When Zukira & I thought up the Mentoring System, there was no Karma. The whole point was just to give new players a list of people to chat with for help.

I still don't quite understand the Karma as its been a few months & nothing has happened with it yet.

tumblr_ohmmkinSKX1siy7m0o1_540.png

#8 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 23:48

Just because you did all this does not instantly give you Karma. The whole point is to try and retain that player until they get a feel for the game. Then, when they get a certain point.. You would get Karma.

But, don't let Karma convolute the whole reason of helping new players.. Help them for the good of the game. The more players we have, the better. When Zukira & I thought up the Mentoring System, there was no Karma. The whole point was just to give new players a list of people to chat with for help.

I still don't quite understand the Karma as its been a few months & nothing has happened with it yet.

I just hope that when (IF) Karma gets implemented, it remains as it was declared, in that there were no automatic rewards given from it :)

#9 hbklives

hbklives

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 00:10

I just hope that when (IF) Karma gets implemented, it remains as it was declared, in that there were no automatic rewards given from it :)

I hope they keep the rewards random and not market breaking.

tumblr_ohmmkinSKX1siy7m0o1_540.png

#10 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:00

Karma and all (superfluous) efforts surrounding it is absolutely unnecessary. All that is needed is a persistent forum thread containing useful links and in-game "mods" (I would suggest a gent such as Belaric). Too much discussion has been wasted already on this idea from the 2 originators.

Ridiculous.
Swearing, even starred out, is not acceptable on the forums. Cheers!

#11 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:39

Karma and all (superfluous) efforts surrounding it is absolutely unnecessary. All that is needed is a persistent forum thread containing useful links and in-game "mods" (I would suggest a gent such as Belaric). Too much discussion has been wasted already on this idea from the 2 originators.

Ridiculous.

Actually, we thought it was a good idea, thus we implemented the Mentor system. Just because you don''t like it, does not mean you get to rag on people for it and tell them it's ridiculous.

Please try to be civil and courteous on the forums.

#12 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:53

Ridiculous.

Actually, we thought it was a good idea, thus we implemented the Mentor system. Just because you don''t like it, does not mean you get to rag on people for it and tell them it's ridiculous.

+1, that was a very negative response to a simple question thread.

BG when is karma going to get implemented? now that were on the topic ... :twisted: :twisted: (BG's feet start to feel the fire, jk).

I like the idea but some new players just want tons of gold / FSP from you instead of trying to learn the game. Just giving gold / FSP, doesn't teach them anything.

#13 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:30

Ridiculous.

Re-reading my post, it does sound on the harsh side, but there is no ragging going on here :). I obviously disagree with all things karma, as I feel it shouldn't be rewarded, it's implicitly good for the game. Let's keep the forums available to contradictory viewpoints, if even negative in nature (but I agree, not harsh, bad on me).

#14 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:36

Ridiculous.

Re-reading my post, it does sound on the harsh side, but there is no ragging going on here :). I obviously disagree with all things karma, as I feel it shouldn't be rewarded, it's implicitly good for the game. Let's keep the forums available to contradictory viewpoints, if even negative in nature (but I agree, not harsh, bad on me).

It would have been interesting to hear HCS view on the use of the Forums as an aid to helping new players. There is already a wealth of information in there and due to debate between players the correct information is pretty much always given. A revamp of the Forums maybe an answer, to make finding certain information easier. Is it mentioned in the tutorial?

This would be my preference in helping new players rather than karma and a mentor system. I fail to see where any abuse can be made if new players are helped by others in the Forum. Where as the karma and mentor system seems to have a few pit falls, as mentioned in one reply.

Just one other thing, negative comments do have there place in the Forum, its a place for ideas, debate, suggestions, announcements and dare I say it critical argument. Removing or condemning negative posts makes the Forum nothing more than an announcement board. Negativity is part of a Forum as long as its done in the best possible taste :lol:

#15 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:58

Just one other thing, negative comments do have there place in the Forum, its a place for ideas, debate, suggestions, announcements and dare I say it critical argument. Removing or condemning negative posts makes the Forum nothing more than an announcement board. Negativity is part of a Forum as long as its done in the best possible taste :lol:

Indeed. They just have to give reasons, in a constructive manner. Just saying something is crap is unacceptable.

#16 2good4u222

2good4u222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:02

People, I've observed, often learn through a more hands on experience. Receiving knowledge from well-read players is a good way to pass on a legacy of information learned only through vast game-play. Whereas forums, such as this sub-category, would spontaneously criticise and belittle new players (I've seen it many times before). It is also a lot more boring to learn through solid reading, no one wants to join a game and read for an hour.

Though, like Parrot said, I don't think passing on knowledge should be rewarded too much. Nothing game changing, just something small such as a secondary type of prestige buff system.

#17 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:35

The idea behind Karma is that once in a blue moon, we'd reward people with Karma with a wee potion or something as a small thank you. However, karma received will only have a finite shelf life, expiring after time. So those who make a habit of helping people who can give karma will be fine. Those liking to try and use it as some kind of currency, will not. Indeed, we have said several times that demanding karma for buffs on your bio or anywhere else wil not be allowed.

#18 MummRa

MummRa

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:57

Indeed. They just have to give reasons, in a constructive manner. Just saying something is crap is unacceptable.

Love this response Grim

#19 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:36

Pretty much what I alluded to.

#20 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:22

People, I've observed, often learn through a more hands on experience. Receiving knowledge from well-read players is a good way to pass on a legacy of information learned only through vast game-play. Whereas forums, such as this sub-category, would spontaneously criticise and belittle new players (I've seen it many times before). It is also a lot more boring to learn through solid reading, no one wants to join a game and read for an hour.

Though, like Parrot said, I don't think passing on knowledge should be rewarded too much. Nothing game changing, just something small such as a secondary type of prestige buff system.

Very well put 2good4u222. The intent behind the mentor system/karma is a noble one, it deserved some inspection, however, we seem to want to either reward or quantify everything we do here in FS. I appreciate that its a game of bits and bytes and most actions are data-driven, however, one of the truly "altruistic" and intangible successes of this game (judging by its lifespan) is the guild system. Our guild system is not only encouraged, but near-necessary to fully excel. Why? Because of the quote above. The passing on of information, friendship, help, understanding is what makes FS more than bits and bytes. In my humble opinion (I'm trying!), quantifying something that makes the game great, cheapens these efforts and trivializes those that lend a hand either within a guild or outside of a guild.

Example, I requested buffage yesterday and a certain player (we're both above level 500 and I've NEVER had contact with him prior). He in turn buffed me and "threatened" me in a kind joking way NOT to pay. I sent back a semi-funny remark and now count him as a true Droog of the game. Sending karma to him? It would just trivialize his kindness. How do you rate and determine the points? Will there be a inter-guild chart for every action? Another player who helps without such innate kindness might be disgruntled at me not sending appropriate karma his way, similar to the restaurant tipping system (see what happens the next time you go to a restaurant after not tipping the prior visit, at least in Canada). If the system isn't in place, there's no possibility for abuse.

Anyways, I hope that was a wee more eloquent than my first post here. Thanks.

DeadParrot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: