• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mraq

mraq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 14:55

I took a short look into forum search results regarding "bronze ore", but no one seem to be confused about it.

You guys are already aware, that there is no such thing as "bronze ore" in nature?

It might be considered alright since this is RPG genre, so magic, unusual things are appreciated. But on the other hand what concerns ores - copper and iron are referring to real ores, but bronze is actually an alloy of copper (primary) and tin (most used).

So, logically I would expect to get bronze bar by smelting one copper and one tin ore piece.

Or if you want to have something unusual in ores since its magic world after all, so think out something fictional like this.

Any of suggested solutions would make game world more consistent.

But "bronze ore" - it's just nonsense.

Edited by mraq, 07 October 2013 - 14:56.

#2 hussey

hussey

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Badge
  • India

Posted 07 October 2013 - 14:59

I had the same doubt ! This can be argued like this -If ores can be obtained just from the surface ingame, why cant 2 metals mix in nature and come as a single metal (lol) . 

PLAYING     ONLY     FOR     PVP ! ! !

#3 mraq

mraq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 15:07

metals are pure elements as in periodic table of elements. You can find an atom of copper or iron, but there are no atoms of "bronze". Simple.

I can accept a fiction world producing any atoms of fictional metals, but with no reference to real world please or if there are referencies, then put them correctly. That is what I mean makes fictional world consistent and living.

Edited by mraq, 07 October 2013 - 15:13.

#4 sdcrichy

sdcrichy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 15:27

lol the only thing i can say about this is:

it's a game. :)

#5 mraq

mraq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 15:46

yes, I fully aware of it.

It's a game in a fiction world, yes.

It's like with any fiction books, you know.

There are good fantasy books and not so good.

Some are just garbage, author read different things in different books, heard something, saw something, then gathered it together in his own book. Is it a good book? Particularly not, it's just a lot of things put together often with no real relation one to another. It's no living world, it has no relations between things in itself, it can just one thing - fall apart.

You need to think your fiction world through to make it consistent, to make it inner logical, working and living.

That is what makes difference between a good fiction world and a bad one, which is just a couple of fictional things gathered together. And if a question comes - there is one answer - it's a fiction (a game).

I like a good one book, a good one game and trying to make it little better (as I understand it) with my suggestions.

#6 ComradeLewis

ComradeLewis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 16:44

ha, you're right. i suppose it would be easy enough to rename the 2 ore needed for smelting to be copper and tin instead of carbon (if i recall correctly). unless... later in the game they make you mine steel ore...Then, apparently we would be mining trash somehow.

11/29/13 - 4/29/14 | 4/25/15 - 5/25/15

#7 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2013 - 22:24

I am not 100% sure.... but I think that Goblins are not real?

Please rename them "little green angry men"... I have seen plenty of these, usually on a Friday Night at pub chuck out time  :P

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#8 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 October 2013 - 23:07

HCS actually did post an explanation way back when.  As I can't find that post, I'll paraphrase as best I can.

First, understand that in the beginning the world of Eldevin was inherently unstable (still is to some extent).  That is why ore is constantly being forced to the surface, where it is easily mined with just a pick axe.

But back in the earliest days of Eldevin, you were required to mine tin and mix with copper to get bronze.  During early testing (pre-beta or first beta, before my time so not sure)  the the game was hit with a cataclysmic event, feared by many, called Game Balance.

That event so reshaped the already unstable Eldevin that, among the many changes, it forced the tin to fuse with the copper underground until there was no more tin to be found, only copper and bronze.

And that is why there is no tin.

(Over time other posts explained how someone can hear you whisper on the other side of the land, or why it takes two logs to make one timber.  And probably a few I don't know about.  Wonder what the odds are of collecting and re-posting them?)

:D

Edited by Irradiated, 10 October 2013 - 23:09.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#9 cowboy

cowboy

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2013 - 00:49

We thought about it, we discussed it, we feared bronze ore isn't real. Then we bought lots of alphabetti spaghetti and took out everything but the O, R and E's and fed them to Hoof along with a mixture of 88% copper and 12% tin, and then bronze ore came out, and we knew it was real. k bye.

Glenn Murphy (cowboy)
Eldevin Lead Programmer

#10 LostinSpace

LostinSpace

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 October 2013 - 00:49

HCS actually did post an explanation way back when.  As I can't find that post, I'll paraphrase as best I can.

First, understand that in the beginning the world of Eldevin was inherently unstable (still is to some extent).  That is why ore is constantly being forced to the surface, where it is easily mined with just a pick axe.

But back in the earliest days of Eldevin, you were required to mine tin and mix with copper to get bronze.  During early testing (pre-beta or first beta, before my time so not sure)  the the game was hit with a cataclysmic event, feared by many, called Game Balance.

That event so reshaped the already unstable Eldevin that, among the many changes, it forced the tin to fuse with the copper underground until there was no more tin to be found, only copper and bronze.

And that is why there is no tin.

(Over time other posts explained how someone can hear you whisper on the other side of the land, or why it takes two logs to make one timber.  And probably a few I don't know about.  Wonder what the odds are of collecting and re-posting them?)

:D

Nice back store! Like this!

Meow!!!!!

Frog lvl 40 - Seeking To3 - TR Grind!

#11 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:11

I was actually looking for some of those the other day. Some of my favorite posts on the forums have been watching the community (and sometimes the dev team!) explain away things like bronze ore. :)

#12 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:42

After a little forum searching, I found these:

:)

#13 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:57

If you mouse over the bronze ore item you should see in the description it says "A lump of Bronze Ore containing Tin and Copper elements, can be refined at an Ore Mill or smelted at a Forge."

It's purely down to design and balance. Originally we had it so 1 tin ore and 1 copper ore would produce 2 bronze bars, that was my implementation on our first draft of the skills. When we came to rebalance the skills "symmetry" was the key idea throughout all skills. A suggestion was to rename Bronze Ore to 'Bronzite' to avoid posts like these!  :P I'm sure this won't be the last time it pops up!  ;)

Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

#14 PhurieDae

PhurieDae

Chief Creative Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:46

Bronzite Worm.jpg

:ph34r:

Louisa Gallie
Senior Concept & UI Artist

#15 Rorke

Rorke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:30

We thought about it, we discussed it, we feared bronze ore isn't real. Then we bought lots of alphabetti spaghetti and took out everything but the O, R and E's and fed them to Hoof along with a mixture of 88% copper and 12% tin, and then bronze ore came out, and we knew it was real. k bye.

PMSL!

I am Warrior, I kill shit!

Tailoring-22: Cooking-30 : Jewelry-21: Alchemy-30 : Weapons-30: Leather-26 : Armor-17
Farming-30 : Prospect-30 : Crystal-29: Foraging-30 : Forestry-30 : Skinning-30 : Fishing-29

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: