Photo

Should HCS implement a third additional Guild XP ranking based on activity?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Active Guild XP ranking? (147 member(s) have cast votes)

Should HCS implement a third additional Guild XP ranking based on activity?

1. Yes (94 votes [63.95%])

Percentage of vote: 63.95%

2. No (36 votes [24.49%])

Percentage of vote: 24.49%

3. No opinion (17 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jenne

Jenne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:38

Nice idea. Could help players without guild or wanting to change guild have a good list.

#22 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 00:34

Busy social schedule and probably out most of Sunday (if not all).

As of right now, I only managed to pm the "GFs" (or first non-brown dot) in each of the top 100 guilds. I tried to avoid those who had already commented here, but apologies to a couple, lol. 

There are a lot of people in some of those that are more active, but I didn't want to do overkill... and hey, 150 at least still to go. Imagine if I contacted everybody, lol.

The trek so far has been curious looking at the top 100. Congrats out to the three guilds in the top 100 that have two or fewer players. I prefer not to dwell on those that have one (or less) brown dots. 

Many "GFs" have replied to my log. Thank you all very much. I say it here... but I hope my log lasts long enough to be able to say thanks to all of you....

Again, only managed the top 100 and my gut says the bottom might be more interested, but I just want everybody to take part.

So, keep it rolling whether your for, against or have no opinion. (o0

Edited by Egami, 06 December 2015 - 00:40.

#23 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:49

The proposal is:

In addition to the current Guild rankings listed by Actual Guild XP and Locked Guild XP, a third ranking based on activity would be added.

This so-called "Active Guild XP" ranking would exclude Guild members’ XP contribution for those players that are “inactive” (currently defined as 30 days without a log in).

Once an inactive account becomes active, the player’s XP contribution would return to the overall count in the Active Guild XP ranking. There would be no “penalty”.

What do you think?

I see the utility of this idea as a useful gauge of what guilds have been doing lately and representing their active efforts.

Does it dilute what it is to be top guild based on XP, by virtue of the same achievement being calculated 3 ways? 

If we have a third metric - which one, if any, should be considered the 'real' one? (you know folk will make judgements about which is the most legitimate measure, even if such an idea is officially discouraged)

This is a good idea I am not passionate about - if HCS want to implement it I'll roll with it, and I do think it would remove dead wood from the guild ladder it would create. In essence this is what was asked for before, but not implemented fully. Depends if it is easy to implement and/or if HCS see benefit to tracking inactive members in each guild and recalculating GXP based on activity. (Remembering that red and brown dots are FSH functions and not part of core game code - it may not be that easy for HCS to recreate in its code-edifice, and then link to GXP level adjustments based on individual player activity)

Thanks for putting this proposal out for discussion. 

Edited by Belaric, 08 December 2015 - 17:23.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#24 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:32

Thank you Belaric and I agree with all of the above and your questions are also relevant and right on, in my opinion.

I'm not a player that really cares about XP, but it does seem that a large portion of the FS population does. 

I ended up deciding on the addition idea instead of the replacement, because I guessed that there are many out there that consider the "legacy" aspect. Personally, I'd scrap the other two and just have this, but... well, I'm not sure that's "right" or would be agreed on.

Whether there would be a benefit from adding this third ranking is definitely questionable. I openly admit that I'm not even sure, hehe. I can only hope that a portion of ulterior motive would pan out. 

I guess we'll see... or not, hehe.

#25 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 14:48

Finally... phew, lol. As promised, I've gone through the entire list of top 250 Guild Actual XP. There were about 3 it was impossible to contact (due to preferences). The trip was interesting.

For the most part, I just pmed the player in the top spot. Went for top grey dot if top spot was long inactive or preferences didn't allow. There were "around" 20 guilds that are "inactive". Even some that were closed down. There's approximately 6 with three or less members where all members are grey. Two (I think) with just one member. That was interesting. I felt weird contacting BG, but hey, HCS is in the top HCS and Hoof's preferences don't allow contact, lol. 

Anyway, I guess that's pretty much it. I advertised today and have to review my ally list. But I think that will be it. 

I just hope people come in and give a vote... no matter which way. Thank you to everyone who participates. 

Prosperous smacking to all! (o0

#26 ironman88

ironman88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 15:12

Think this would be a great motivation for small guilds. Probably outranked by 100 guilds that are almost 100% dead. ++

#27 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2015 - 15:15

Finally... phew, lol. As promised, I've gone through the entire list of top 250 Guild Actual XP. There were about 3 it was impossible to contact (due to preferences). The trip was interesting.

For the most part, I just pmed the player in the top spot. Went for top grey dot if top spot was long inactive or preferences didn't allow. There were "around" 20 guilds that are "inactive". Even some that were closed down. There's approximately 6 with three or less members where all members are grey. Two (I think) with just one member. That was interesting. I felt weird contacting BG, but hey, HCS is in the top HCS and Hoof's preferences don't allow contact, lol. 

Anyway, I guess that's pretty much it. I advertised today and have to review my ally list. But I think that will be it. 

I just hope people come in and give a vote... no matter which way. Thank you to everyone who participates. 

Prosperous smacking to all! (o0

Lies, I received no message.

SD is a top 100 guild.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#28 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2015 - 16:21

i dont think its bad or negative in any way, its something fun i guess, from my perspective :)

#29 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 16:36

Lies, I received no message.

SD is a top 100 guild.

Hehe... I stand corrected. I actually did purposely skip you since you'd already posted before I got around to letting everybody know, lol.

EDIT: (add-on)

@MD: just so you're sure... check out the third line in post #22. ,oP

@everybody: I think I've finished spreading the word. I got to my allies and hopefully avoided pming those that know or that I actually contacted. 

Apologies to everybody for the log-fill and thank you to those that have taken the time so far.

Edited by Egami, 07 December 2015 - 16:42.

#30 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2015 - 16:39

Ahh okay, I'll let you off then. :P

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#31 oucho

oucho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 18:48

I had a thread years ago that had a suggestion in it on guild Exp being teired like schools, that is  triple a , double a and so on to make different categories  you could be first in class A but as you grow end up last in double A with a new challenge :)

#32 donce4kill

donce4kill

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 December 2015 - 21:46

Good idea, dont think we need 3rd guild xp bar though. Like someone mentioned it should just replace current xp.
Kinda off topic but I just wish inactive players were removed from top lists or at least top 100 of your month. That's what really kills motivation.

#33 vamunre

vamunre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 22:53

It would be especially useful for newish low level and probably pretty good for midddle but I think the top  level guilds would remain still top level guilds based upon they have the highest level players and when they hunt they get massive amounts of XP

#34 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 00:19

I had a thread years ago that had a suggestion in it on guild Exp being teired like schools, that is  triple a , double a and so on to make different categories  you could be first in class A but as you grow end up last in double A with a new challenge :)

This too strikes me as an interesting idea. Might even be applicable to player's XP themselves. But one step at a time, I don't want to go crazy.... hmmm, crazier, lol.

Good idea, dont think we need 3rd guild xp bar though. Like someone mentioned it should just replace current xp.
Kinda off topic but I just wish inactive players were removed from top lists or at least top 100 of your month. That's what really kills motivation.

Again, I admit that I opted for the addition instead of replacement for a few reasons.

One of them does kind of deal with last portion of your comment. My personal feelings aside, my read of the FS community was that "legacy" was important to players. I respect that and acted accordingly with this suggestion. For good or bad...

It would be especially useful for newish low level and probably pretty good for midddle but I think the top  level guilds would remain still top level guilds based upon they have the highest level players and when they hunt they get massive amounts of XP

Agreed vam... 

My personal thoughts (which aren't necessarily the right ones):

EOC does have an advantage in this category, but it is also one that has been earned (please don't flame this point). I don't think they have an "extra" advantage since it's mostly the same as the advantage with the Actual XP ranking. 

I didn't jot down numbers as I looked at all the top 250 guilds (the numbers is post #25 are really loose approximations). But there were about 6 of the top 250 (with MD being an example in the top 100) that had three or less active members and were there already in the Actual XP list. 

As for your interpretation of lower and middle being more for it, I also "think" so... to a degree. Comparing my log experience to the top 100, the top 100-250 had a lot more "yes" responses on a rough percentage basis. 

Again, my ulterior motive was activity based. In the first place, hoping the higher levels would push to get some of their inactives backed involved to some "highly-debatable degree". I didn't think there was a negative there. 

Outside the biggies, I thought/hoped the effect would be multiplied. I'd expect an initial shakeup in the difference of the two rankings (Active vs. Actual XP). My expectation was actually that this difference would be nullified over time.

So why bother? Because I think the lower half or newer Guilds still not on the list would "get excited" and keep their eye out. On the upper levels, there would be "more movement". With big stam banks, I figure a lot come in and hunt and then disappear until their stam is supposed to be full. Changes in the Active ranking "might" actually change more often as "inactives" return to do their business or some members become inactive... be it for waiting for stam or RL things such as vacation or hopefully happy stuff. 

Maybe it's just a dream, but IF it happened... well, yeah, lol. 

#35 donce4kill

donce4kill

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:52

Again, I admit that I opted for the addition instead of replacement for a few reasons.

One of them does kind of deal with last portion of your comment. My personal feelings aside, my read of the FS community was that "legacy" was important to players. I respect that and acted accordingly with this suggestion. For good or bad...

Top list by locked xp keeps the legacy alive so I'm sorry but I don't get your point. Maybe I say so just because I'm in a young guild...probably. Even though I don't fully agree with your suggestion, active xp list addition is still better than doing nothing

#36 yghorbeviahn

yghorbeviahn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:37

I think that will work a lot better than what we have now, like I always say to my guildmates, I like a lvl500 active than a lvl2000 inactive...

Of course, some Guild keep some inactives to use their bags, but that should be their choice, the XP I think should be removed anyway.

And I wish the inactives were removed from every top rated list...month, top100, Smasher, bounty, everything...(I know they were removed from some places, but that still need more work)

#37 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 14:05

And I wish the inactives were removed from every top rated list...month, top100, Smasher, bounty, everything...(I know they were removed from some places, but that still need more work)

I'm split here. I definitely feel like you do, but... I see others' point of view.

My metaphor is the high score on  arcade games. They can stay there for decades. I think that's the best way to wrap our head around it since those too are lists.

To a lesser degree, there is also the Guiness book of world records. Or maybe sports, where people follow the history of a team and the number of times it has won something over the years.

I guess adding the Active XP list is kind of likening the whole thing to a new season.

So far looks like "yes" in the general feeling with 66% of the current 80 votes having been placed in that category. I'm not sure what HCS policy is. 

#38 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:19

I'd like to see this hit 100 votes. I guess I might have to advertise some more, lol.

#39 yghorbeviahn

yghorbeviahn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:10

I'm split here. I definitely feel like you do, but... I see others' point of view.

My metaphor is the high score on  arcade games. They can stay there for decades. I think that's the best way to wrap our head around it since those too are lists.

To a lesser degree, there is also the Guiness book of world records. Or maybe sports, where people follow the history of a team and the number of times it has won something over the years.

I guess adding the Active XP list is kind of likening the whole thing to a new season.

So far looks like "yes" in the general feeling with 66% of the current 80 votes having been placed in that category. I'm not sure what HCS policy is. 

I remember someone suggesting to add one more list on every 'Top Rated" list:

- Active: Showing the Active Top Rated players on a category (Medals would count using that list).
- Overall: Showing all the Top Rated players on a category (Medals would NOT count using that list).

For me that is the best option for every Top Rated list.

#40 Blenny

Blenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:29

Interesting stuff as always :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: