Photo

Shields?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 earthguido

earthguido

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:22

So I am fairly new to the game but starting to like it.  Kind of addicted now.

I am trying to build a Templar and started with an axe (or a 1h sword) and the best shield I could craft, but today I got the green-glowing 2h sword (sorry I can't remember the name - it's the one that kills the plagued), and started killing things 3-4 times faster, and not losing much more health than before.

I understand I am using a higher level weapon than before, but this takes me to the question: are shields useful? in the last mmorpg I played shields were useless and were one of the main request from players, I browsed the forums but could not gather much data.

Any opinions? should I keep faith on shields or just respec? Thanks!!!

#2 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:04

many of Templars skills require a shield.. also they are very helpful for survivability in dungeons

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#3 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:14

I guess you need to decide whether you want to be a Templar or a Warrior. You won't be able to keep switching between them, at least it won't be practical/efficient since you need to put your talent points in one or the other talent tree (and if you want to respec for free then you'll have to wait for 60 days). Like awol said, many Templar abilities require a shield, and Warrior abilities require a two-handed weapon. There might be some form of a possible hybrid-build but I wouldn't recommend trying this right now.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#4 Voolf

Voolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:41

Shields are the most important thing for Templar, as whithout it you can not use certain abillities that are needed in dungeons. If you want to be good one, you must have it.

But during normal questing and lvling, noone forece you to use shiled. You can switch to 2handad weapon or two 1h weapons to kill mobs faster. I think its more efficient.

#5 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:02

Shields are the most important thing for Templar, as whithout it you can not use certain abillities that are needed in dungeons. If you want to be good one, you must have it.

But during normal questing and lvling, noone forece you to use shiled. You can switch to 2handad weapon or two 1h weapons to kill mobs faster. I think its more efficient.

Uh. I guess you can try putting your talent points into Templar if that's what you want to be, and switch to using a two-handed weapon when soloing. But I can't imagine how efficient that is without any Warrior talents. And the abilities that you can learn from scrolls get quite expensive so you may not be able to afford scrolls for both classes when you're in lower levels.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#6 Voolf

Voolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:15

im not saying anything about putting points into warrior tree, you just switch shield for extra weapon to deal more dmg. As far as i know tanks do that while grinding to lvl faster. Just because you dont have any warrior talent does not mean you are always weaker.

Edited by Voolf, 28 February 2014 - 09:17.

#7 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:19

I haven't played either Templar or Warrior so I don't know from experience, just guessing.

My alt character is a level 13 assassin, and I recently tried equipping a two-handed weapon, and killed some Brown Deer, one at a time. Then switched back to two one-handed weapons to see how it compares. I've heard from others that it's much easier to level up (kill more creatures in less time) as a Warrior, than Templar or Assassin, so I'm looking to switch to Warrior since I don't want to spend too much time on an alt character.

But with the weapon testing it was evident that using the weapons meant for my class was way more efficient than using the 2H (which had better DPS than my one-handed weapons combined).

I know that it's not totally comparable to Templar vs Warrior, since the Assassin wears medium armor which means less defense, and some talents also depend on the type of armor. What I'm saying is that the OP could try doing the same, pick some creatures and switch what you have equipped and see which way is more efficient (faster kills/less health lost).

EDIT: Okay, I forgot what the first post said, sorry. Basically you still have a choice to make whether you want to put your talent points into Templar or Warrior.

Edited by Akadria, 28 February 2014 - 12:23.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#8 Voolf

Voolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 13:02

You must understand that Templar firstly is the slowest class to lvl, secondly there are some universal skills that dont require any weapon to be equipped, so every class can use them. Assassin switching to 2handed is not good at all. But templar seeking more dmg to lvl faster yes he can.

#9 Praetor

Praetor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 16:58

A lot of people simply level warrior up to the mid 20's, then respec to Templar -- because really once you hit the level 25 dungeons that is where Templar is important. For Vault -- not really -- because Templar is still too weak to hold the aggro at that level.

#10 earthguido

earthguido

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 18:45

A lot of people simply level warrior up to the mid 20's, then respec to Templar -- because really once you hit the level 25 dungeons that is where Templar is important. For Vault -- not really -- because Templar is still too weak to hold the aggro at that level.

ok thanks for all the advice - I get the idea now, I am still level 12, will try to grind to higher levels and see what happens, I really want to use shields!

#11 Voolf

Voolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 20:09

And you should, full fledged Tank is an great asset in group. You will just be pushished with slow lvling, that is sad truth.

#12 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 17:02

Grind xp as a warrior until you are level 20 or 30, then respect or go all the way until level 39 as a warrior, and then respect until tank

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#13 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 01 March 2014 - 20:58

Grind xp as a warrior until you are level 20 or 30, then respect or go all the way until level 39 as a warrior, and then respect until tank

respec  :P

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#14 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 21:22

respec  :P

omg I LAUGHED SO MUCH, thx Respect.... lol ... Not once but twice the same error

Edited by Susej, 01 March 2014 - 21:23.

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#15 Voolf

Voolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 22:32

Don't worry Susej, we still respect you :)

#16 Smallwolf

Smallwolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:41

Again (from other games)... stay as templar (knight), and just use 2h when soloing?!?

"Class": Warpriest (thats my aim). Professions: Cooking lv16 - (self sufficent atm) that includes farming, fishing, foraging etc. Alchemy (lv10) - by product of cooking when gathering mats don't sell. And mine for money.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: