• Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 16:32

Bump to the bumpity bump. ;)

#24 gothador_andor

gothador_andor
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 17:09

:shock:

There's actually some damn good stuff in this recommendation.

:shock:

Insat ftw?

:shock: :shock:

:lol: ;)

#25 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 20:07

me ftw????

seems andor caught my fever!!!!!! :shock:

/me shows my bondy the video... so not my fault!!!! 8)

#26 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 20:12

I love this idea. The turn to stone ability has been suggested before but I hope hoof thinks seriously about this suggestion. The earth magic also sounds interestinganother alternative is make it amagic, not sorcery spell, with the limits set with your mining/smelting level, the higher those levels, the higher your magic spell can go.

exactly my thought, the spells should be leveled like 1/200 and the code is already there for spell dmg, changing the earth class to be based off mining/smelting levels would be cool, and likely pretty easy...

i'd hope the spell dmg could be increased by some % by wisdom, since alot of the miner/mages have spent ap to up their wisdom as well, but it would need to be a small %, to keep it fair...

turning a creature to stone? 2 ap

killing it with dmg based on mining/smelting? various ap per kill

ability to compete with the other subclasses based on your class strengths? Priceless

#27 gothador_isisxotic

gothador_isisxotic
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:40

Posted Image

MINERS!!! and anybody else ;)

Feel free to put this in your sigs! Make Hoof See!!!

[url=http://forum.gothador.com/viewtopic.php?t=45786][img]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/Isisxotica/infectedbanner.png[/img][/url]

#28 gothador_kayliquinn

gothador_kayliquinn
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 13:33

Don't kick me to death for this suggestion but...

Couldn't the turn to stone be an enchantment? The miners would be best at it but like miners can do melee and magic, the mages and warriors would be able to do it too... just a thought.

If the above was done, despite the obvious inconvenience, it would mean the 'Shatter Earth'/'Extract Ore' or whatever spell would be cast more often by the miner anyway so they are more likely to up it than a mage who has to hire a miner... and whats the point of that since any potential reward (aka ore) from the mined creature is useful mostly to miners...?

Then again, whats the point of a spell when the Mine Creature option isn't really melee anyway and could be based on the mining/smelting/orbing levels rather than attack etc levels...

Okay, sorry, this was just intended to be a bump but hey ho...

#29 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 19:32

Don't kick me to death for this suggestion but...

Couldn't the turn to stone be an enchantment? The miners would be best at it but like miners can do melee and magic, the mages and warriors would be able to do it too... just a thought.

i went with the turn button, instead of the enchantment, do to the AP to complete.. a turn button means 2ap used to hunt, enchantments mean mining, smelting, orb issues, and much more AP in the long term. i wanted to keep it class skill based, and less ap leeching.

If the above was done, despite the obvious inconvenience, it would mean the 'Shatter Earth'/'Extract Ore' or whatever spell would be cast more often by the miner anyway so they are more likely to up it than a mage who has to hire a miner... and whats the point of that since any potential reward (aka ore) from the mined creature is useful mostly to miners...?

with an "earth magic" scenerio, HCS could add "earth" res to all creatures (remember the base water res% add??) this way the magic is available to all, mages can make earth spells and use them too, but the primary beneficiaries are the miners who can turn the creatures.... (btw, turning them to stone should nearly fully negate the res% to earth, since they have become earth... again, easy to code, and effective...) also, they would only drop the ore once they were turned earth class, so regular hunters wouldn't be able to stockpile ore, reducing the miners sale options

Then again, whats the point of a spell when the Mine Creature option isn't really melee anyway and could be based on the mining/smelting/orbing levels rather than attack etc levels...

melee built miners could still use melee, just not for this, i went with "earth magic" because i feel thatr building a melee model off of mining/smelting levels is a full system rebuild, where the magic is just an add on to the existing system, thus easier on HCS, and therefore, more likely to happen, despite some opinions, HCS have a very full plate currently ;)

also, since casting this "earth class" of magic is upping their mining/smelting anyways, both melee and mage played miners still see benefit on both sides, they continue to gain mining/smelting levels, which in turn keeps them effective as miners, and it makes their damage better as they build... as it ups their spell dmg in turn

Okay, sorry, this was just intended to be a bump but hey ho...

ty for the bump, and the thoughts, any good thoughts on this are appreciated, its a fix long over do, and if we point out all the angles, then hoofy can make the best choices from what he sees... in theory ;)

also, if you want to join the cause, grab the banner info isis posted, and get your miner buddies to wear the banner till hoofy notices, and reads the thread!!!

#30 gothador_twily

gothador_twily
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 18:47

Seems like a fantastic idea to me, and from what I can see, the miners like it, so it's got my full support!

(translation: Bump :P)

#31 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 00:02

thump a bump bump

#32 gothador_balnazzar

gothador_balnazzar
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 15:53

i like it. and i'd like to see a use for the dynamite in mining.

#33 gothador_darkndeadly

gothador_darkndeadly
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 18:44

This is probably the bestest suggestion I have heard yet! :D

Doesn't need it yet, but what the hay...BUMP! :?

#34 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 23:36

ka thunka thunk thunk

bump ;)

dooo it hoofy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 MummyGossip

MummyGossip

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:17

Posted: 03 Feb 2007 00:44 Post subject: my take on the miner situation...

:shock: Haven´t noticed for so long...but changed my Signature to show that I have noticed now and support this suggestion 8)

#36 gothador_narf

gothador_narf
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:22

It's definately a good idea, but I'm confused on the Earth Magic. Would you still gain as much wisdom as normal (i.e. a miner with 600 wisdom would gain about 650 casting exp/cast, or something like that)? Or would you gain less wisdom, but more mining levels? Or how does that work?

It seems to me that wisdom should still be the main function of gaining more wisdom and casting damage. Maybe the Earth Magic damage should be based on wisdom, and the ore extraction should be based on mining. So a miner mage would do the exact same amount of damage when using magic, but would have a chance to magically pull out "soul ore" and gain mining exp. And every successful cast would then give you a chance to gain ores. Then soul ores would have to be smelted at a very high level into soul bars.

And in your method, the "melee" miners would do damage based on mining and smelting, not based on their melee damage. I say that's backwards. Have Melee miners also do damage based on their attack/damage, and after they turn the creatures to stone they have a % chance to "mine" soul ores from them, which would then have to be smelted. And the % chance to mine the soul ore would be high, so it would be 2% until you reached a certain level. Every time you "hit" the creature you would have a chance to "mine an ore". So it would read like this:

Magic 07:02 23/Mar/07
You successfully casted Soul Reaver.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4458 HP. (No Specials)
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4671 HP. (Mana Surge)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 3801 HP. (No Specials)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4411 HP. (No Specials)
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4507 HP. (Mana Surge)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 3929 HP. (No Specials)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4071 HP. (No Specials)
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 3837 HP. (No Specials)
You hit Stone Wolf (20,36) for 39653 HP and killed it. (Overcharge)
You gained 3754914 xp. (975302 + 2779612 xp bonus, Dark Rage, Rage, Mage Frenzy, Storm)
You gained 12096 Soul Reaver casting exp.
System 07:02 23/Mar/07
You attempt to mine 9 times and extracted 2 x Soul Ore. You gain 16400x2 = 32800 mining xp (Master Miner). 1 of the ore(s) were obtained from your Skilled Miner advanced skill.

So the base chance to "mine" the ores from the creature would be -8150%, and every "hit" from melee or mining would give you a chance to mine ores from them. So now a miner mage still has a purpose for having wisdom, and a melee miner still has a purpose for adding attack and damage.

But we could make it so only 4th tier players could "turn to stone" so that only higher level miners could do this. Or maybe Hoof could just add creatures into level restricted realms that are minable and smeltable. Or else make it a skill that you can only acquire at level 3,000 and mineworker level 1000 (so you non-miners could get it but you'd have to earn it).

Anyway, just some thoughts. It's a very promising idea.

#37 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 17:44

It's definately a good idea, but I'm confused on the Earth Magic. Would you still gain as much wisdom as normal (i.e. a miner with 600 wisdom would gain about 650 casting exp/cast, or something like that)? Or would you gain less wisdom, but more mining levels? Or how does that work?

I'm thinking the major gain is to mining/smelting levels, which is where that magic dmg would be based on, the higher your mining/smelting, the more dmg you do, the bigger the creatures you can hunt.

It seems to me that wisdom should still be the main function of gaining more wisdom and casting damage. Maybe the Earth Magic damage should be based on wisdom, and the ore extraction should be based on mining. So a miner mage would do the exact same amount of damage when using magic, but would have a chance to magically pull out "soul ore" and gain mining exp. And every successful cast would then give you a chance to gain ores. Then soul ores would have to be smelted at a very high level into soul bars.

doing anything other than "turn" becomes a major drain on AP, and the goal was to make them playable characters, so enchants and souls become too AP expensive quickly. Also, to split the dmg/ore gain becomes a major overhaul of the system, and makes it less likely for HCS to approach it. the goal is to not make the miners overpowered (the other class got something??? syndrome could be avoided i hope) so it would be a set amount of ore received, if they want large amounts of ore, they'd still need to go mine/smelt, the added ore is a small bonus, not enough to live off of.

And in your method, the "melee" miners would do damage based on mining and smelting, not based on their melee damage. I say that's backwards. Have Melee miners also do damage based on their attack/damage, and after they turn the creatures to stone they have a % chance to "mine" soul ores from them, which would then have to be smelted. And the % chance to mine the soul ore would be high, so it would be 2% until you reached a certain level. Every time you "hit" the creature you would have a chance to "mine an ore". So it would read like this:

Melee miners could still use melee, they would just now have the added option of some magic based on their mining/smelting levels in addition

Magic 07:02 23/Mar/07
You successfully casted Soul Reaver.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4458 HP. (No Specials)
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4671 HP. (Mana Surge)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 3801 HP. (No Specials)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4411 HP. (No Specials)
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4507 HP. (Mana Surge)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 3929 HP. (No Specials)
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 4071 HP. (No Specials)
Sorcery failed.
Sorcery failed.
Damaged Stone Wolf (20,36) for 3837 HP. (No Specials)
You hit Stone Wolf (20,36) for 39653 HP and killed it. (Overcharge)
You gained 3754914 xp. (975302 + 2779612 xp bonus, Dark Rage, Rage, Mage Frenzy, Storm)
You gained 12096 Soul Reaver casting exp.
System 07:02 23/Mar/07
You attempt to mine 9 times and extracted 2 x Soul Ore. You gain 16400x2 = 32800 mining xp (Master Miner). 1 of the ore(s) were obtained from your Skilled Miner advanced skill.

it wouldn't be sorecery, it would be magic, hoof would release spells specific to this Earth magic, and the players would level them up as they used them.

So the base chance to "mine" the ores from the creature would be -8150%, and every "hit" from melee or mining would give you a chance to mine ores from them. So now a miner mage still has a purpose for having wisdom, and a melee miner still has a purpose for adding attack and damage.

the idea is that the miners still have melee/sorcery as they choose, this presents an option for them that makes them a little more competative along the way, a chance to build a new form of fighting up, that is good for all classes, just benefits the miners the most, as it is exclusive to the mining/smelting levels. warriors or mages could build it too, but they'd need to cast it, same as any other magic spell to build it up. non miners, say in the top 100 would not likely gain much off this, as it would require building mining/smelting levels and casting xp on the magery spells, but they could if they chose, the main gain is for the miners already mining/smelting and hunting.

But we could make it so only 4th tier players could "turn to stone" so that only higher level miners could do this. Or maybe Hoof could just add creatures into level restricted realms that are minable and smeltable. Or else make it a skill that you can only acquire at level 3,000 and mineworker level 1000 (so you non-miners could get it but you'd have to earn it).

i have a miner who is only level 1k, but is 3 years old, and he is what i based most of this on. i think it should be available to anyone at any level same as any spell, but obviously, he could only use it on creatures his stats would let him kill... he could use earth magic on a necro with his def, but with his low mana, he'd take half a day to kill it, see the beauty in it? he'd go hunt takoths or something, just as any other player at his level, until he could add to mana/atk/dmg/def to be able to face other creatures...

this doesn't replace sorecery/melee, as i said, its just a nice addition that makes miners viable levelers...

Anyway, just some thoughts. It's a very promising idea.

tyvm, i worked on it for quite a while before putting it out there. :)

#38 gothador_andor

gothador_andor
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 18:23

I like most of the content in this suggestion as i previously stated, but if I were HCS, I wouldn't re-tool the entire combat system for miners.

Rather: I might allow mining / smelting to count as a small bonus towards magic and melee attacks. Pretty similar conceptually really, just different implementation.

PvP is a bit of a concern, however, as their Def bonus is extremely potent (shadow miner anyone? :shock:). So it couldn't be a powerful bonus, but any help in that area would be nice to see.

#39 gothador_narf

gothador_narf
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 20:18

doing anything other than "turn" becomes a major drain on AP, and the goal was to make them playable characters, so enchants and souls become too AP expensive quickly. Also, to split the dmg/ore gain becomes a major overhaul of the system, and makes it less likely for HCS to approach it. the goal is to not make the miners overpowered (the other class got something??? syndrome could be avoided i hope) so it would be a set amount of ore received, if they want large amounts of ore, they'd still need to go mine/smelt, the added ore is a small bonus, not enough to live off of.

I think I've got the rest of it. But just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that it take any more AP to "mine" the creatures. I was saying that every successful hit on a creature turned to stone (or whatever) would also count as an attempt to mine. So it would be 1 hit, 1 mine attempt, X damage to the creature, and only cost 1 AP. So it would be mining while you did damage. Misses wouldn't count as a mining attempt, only hits. It's definately a different concept than the one you suggested, I was just throwing out another idea that was similar but didn't change the combat system. That way Miners could level both Mining and levels at the same time. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully Hoof likes one of the ideas in the thread.

#40 gothador_mrmarvel

gothador_mrmarvel
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 17:53

it wouldn't be sorecery, it would be magic, hoof would release spells specific to this Earth magic, and the players would level them up as they used them.

*remembers blood rage* Well that was good for a short time, then it became obsolete due to a slow leveling rate, better XP:AP with sorcery or melee, soon blood rage became very obsolete. Magery is capped to a maxed spell, so how would that work around a quick end of the earth magic spell?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: