Photo

Game Concept : Shattering, Mutation and Alchemy!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
254 replies to this topic

#1 Mojawk

Mojawk

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:34

We'd like to introduce you to some new concepts that are in development for Fallen Sword here at Hunted Cow Studios. This will be a huge addition to gameplay and is still literally on the drawing board.

First things first, so for the rest of this to make sense we'll start with the definition of the new resource/component type.

Definition of "Elements"
Elements are a new type of meta-resource that will be introduced to Fallen Sword.

There are (at the present stage of design) 3 distinct types of Elements: Shards, Essence and Residue.

Elements will also be split into level brackets e.g. 1-99, 100-199, 200-299, 300-399 etc.

This is just as an example: You will be able to combine several lvl 1-99 Shards into a 1 lvl 100-199. This means that if you collect a lot of Elements in one bracket they will still remain useful once you leave that bracket.

For the purpose of concepting these Elements are represented as the star, diamond and circle in the diagrams below.

Shattering
Shattering is the process of breaking down equipment into a number of Elements. You'll be able to break down any equipment (you own, not tagged) including "Bound" equipment. The number, level and quality of Elements you receive will depend on the quality of the item being shattered. Here are some examples of what you may recieve:
Lvl 50 Common Sword		 0x (T1)Shards, 1x (T1)Essence, 1x (T1)Essence
Lvl 50 Lengendary Sword	10x(T1)Shards, 20x(T1)Essence, 3x (T1)Essence
Lvl 50 Epic Sword			20x(T1)Shards, 35x(T1)Essence, 1x (T2)Essence
Lvl 90 Rare Sword			1x (T2)Shards, 10x(T1)Essence, 3x (T1)Essence
Lvl 90 Rare Sword			10x(T1)Shards, 10x(T1)Essence, 1x (T2)Essence

T1 = Tier1 (lvl 1-99), T2 = Tier2 (lvl 100-200)
As you can see (looking at the two lvl 90 rare swords) there will be a certain degree of randomness to it. There will be many factors in the equation of what you get from shattering.

Posted Image
Fig 1. A concept of the Shattering Interface.

Mutation
Mutation allows you to take any weapon or armor piece and infuses it with Elements with a small monetary cost increasing its potency. It also (more importantly) allows you to attach additional Gem(s) to your equipment further increasing the potency of the equipment. Caution: Mutating your equipment causes it to become "bound" to you.

Posted Image
Fig 2. A concept of the Mutation Interface.

Alchemy
Alchemy is a way to create items from the new resource: Elements. At present the only planned use for alchemy is to create Gems, but there could be lots of uses developed in the future. Gems are a new type of item that you can insert into your equipment which give you bonuses. The bonuses aren't decided at the minute but they could be entirely new too. The main difference between gems and potions is that they have a stamina based duration rather than a time based duration. Meaning you can leave them on over-night (for example) without refreshing them; and they're there just as you left them, when you continue to play.

The potency of the gem and duration are variable, meaning you could use cheap long duration gems for general purpose and high powered short duration gems for more savagery. Well a picture can say a thousand words so I'll talk you through the process.

Posted Image
Fig 3. Select the Item you want to Transmute.

Posted Image
Fig 4. Select the potency of the item. Increasing potency increases crafting time.

Posted Image
Fig 5. Select the duration of the item. Increasing duration increases crafting time.

Posted Image
Fig 6. Select the amount of alchemists you'd like to work on the project. Increasing the number of alchemists increases cost but decreases crafting time.

Posted Image
Fig 7. The transmutation is under way.

Posted Image
Fig 8. The transmutation is complete and ready to be collected (Note: It doesn't go to your mailbox and will stay here indefinitely).

Posted Image
Fig 9. Multiple transmutations at different stages.

As stated at the beginning of this post this idea currently in development so we'd like to hear from the community and get feedback on this idea.

Radneto

John Stewart
Chief Operations Officer

#2 koenvdv

koenvdv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Badge
  • Belgium

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:36

Posted ImageSUGGESTION IN A NUTSHELL:

You will be able to destroy any item to get elements from it, these are the resources.

With alchemy you can use these elements to make better elements, you have the choise between doing this slow and cheap or fast and expensive.

These elements you can use on your items to improve them. (This is called mutation) These improvements will have a stamina based duration, the ywill stay for x amount of stamina usage in stead of x minutes.

+POSSITIVES:
- because the items that you have improved will be bound, the demand for epics, ledgendary and SE items will go up.
- you will be able to put your otherwise uselless drops to good use.
- because these improvements have a stamina based duration they could be used as offline protection

-NEGGATIVES
- because storage for these elements and mutating cost money, the less wealthy will not be able to improve much. This means we will have less coins to improve their character if they want to have these improvements.
possible solution: destroying items gives a current that you can use to improve your items instead of using gold
- it might make gear overpowerfull
- when we no longer need these improved items because they are not usefull anymore for our level, what can we do with it besides destroying it for elements.
- There are other aspects in the game that should get priority over bringing in new content (PvP, Bounty Board, broken buffs, arena, GvG, ...)
- It seems like you will need a lot of slots
possible solution: dont store these elements as idividuental items, but just a list of elements and the amount you have of those, and put some tabs in the list

#3 laptribe

laptribe

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:36

:shock: <--- says it all cos everything you confuses me to no end even after reading it

#4 livingsin

livingsin

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:37

um.....this makes no sense to me....I didn't understand a bit of it...

#5 Mojawk

Mojawk

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:39

What part are you confused with?

John Stewart
Chief Operations Officer

#6 koenvdv

koenvdv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Badge
  • Belgium

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:40

It comes down to: destroying items (all items possible) to get resources use these to invent gems and use these to improve your items

#7 ninjaSlice

ninjaSlice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:42

aw snap

IRmUxin.png

#8 fs_spiralbern

fs_spiralbern
  • Guests

I LOVE it!!! You are are making a great effort as a team to improve the game for everyone!!

JOB WELL DONE!!

#9 livingsin

livingsin

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

let me see if I've got this right

step 1. break down old gear

step 2. take broken old gear(now gems,shards whatever)

step 3.turn into other items

step 4. add gems or whatever to items

step 5. gems act like buffs? with stam costs?

if I've got this right and you say "mutated" items will be bound. Then all i see i the richest players consistently sitting in these pieces of gear that no longer need buffs?

#10 fs_dsjupiter

fs_dsjupiter
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:43

Seems like were taking over powered gear, and making it more over powered...

#11 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

I'm for it right now, but it would highly depend upon how it is implemented.

Because if it becomes a monopoly for a few players and everyone else has to pay a ton, then I am 100% against this. We have plenty of those already.

Also, you have added a CRAP TON of new sets in the past 6 months. The game balance is already out of whack, this is going to make it worse.

P.S Why not add medals beyond Crystal? that would be helpful.

#12 fs_hecate

fs_hecate
  • Guests

um.....this makes no sense to me....I didn't understand a bit of it...

+1 :shock: :? :shock: :?

#13 laptribe

laptribe

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:44

It comes down to: destroying items (all items possible) to get resources use these to invent gems and use these to improve your items

thats the simple way of putting it cheers :D

#14 maxvam

maxvam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:44

i think this would be interesting and good idea to flush out the outdated items.. i like it. cheers :lol:

#15 fs_azylemy

fs_azylemy
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:45

if the gems are not permanent then why items becomes bound? i am against bound item it looks good as long i can use the common drop from a hunt to do something useful, maybe the items from the shops yield more bonuses for more gold sink

#16 koenvdv

koenvdv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Badge
  • Belgium

Seems like were taking over powered gear, and making it more over powered...

There will be a higher demand for items because bound they will be stronger than unbound.

#17 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

i think this would be interesting and good idea to flush out the outdated items.. i like it. cheers :lol:

Would not have been outdated if they didn't flood the game with sets. :twisted:

#18 fs_liuskoj

fs_liuskoj
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:47

Sounds cool, just a bit complicated :? could be pretty interesting...

#19 koenvdv

koenvdv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Badge
  • Belgium

I'm for it right now, but it would highly depend upon how it is implemented.

Because if it becomes a monopoly for a few players and everyone else has to pay a ton, then I am 100% against this. We have plenty of those already.

Also, you have added a CRAP TON of new sets in the past 6 months. The game balance is already out of whack, this is going to make it worse.

P.S Why not add medals beyond Crystal? that would be helpful.

Because it is time based you can invent those cheap and slow or fast and expensive, less rich people like us will be able to go for the first ;-)

Most of those new sets were for higher levels, and they were needed over there.

They will not add new sets.

#20 fs_azylemy

fs_azylemy
  • Guests

just hope you don’t make us store the gems shards and thingy into the already cramped backpack :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: