#1 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:09

Im curious. I want to hear what your opinions.

What is it about PvP that you dont like? Please... be civil, I want this to be a thread to understand the other side of the fence :)

#2 LLAP

LLAP

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:15

I do like PvP :)

#3 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:15

What is it about PvP that you dont like? Please... be civil, I want this to be a thread to understand the other side of the fence :)

Sorry mate, asking replies to be civil probably ain't going to cut it. This is likely to be a hornets nest of a thread if it gathers any momentum. Personally I have no problem with PvP, tis part of the game :wink:

Cheers.

wil72

#4 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:25

Sorry mate, asking replies to be civil probably ain't going to cut it. This is likely to be a hornets nest of a thread if it gathers any momentum. Personally I have no problem with PvP, tis part of the game :wink:

Cheers.

wil72

Honestly, Im hoping (in vain) :P I want to understand the reasons people dislike PvP. Its a very social aspect, it maintains some form of competition, and its fun. The reasons I can think of to dislike are:

1. XP Loss. Everyone wants to be a higher level, and the 10% XP/hit is going to restrict getting 100s of levels quickly >.>

2. Gold Loss. People need Gold to get FSP, and Need FSP for upgrades. I can understand, to a degree why people make such a fuss for gold.

(This next one is only observation/speculation)
3. PvP requires large amount of thought, and planning. You need to know more about this game for PvP than (seemingly) anything else. Balance between buffs, and how they work with each other. Stats, and the patience to understand it all.

Im just curious as to which irks people more, and why they try to shut down PvP.

#5 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:46

(This next one is only observation/speculation)
3. PvP requires large amount of thought, and planning. You need to know more about this game for PvP than (seemingly) anything else. Balance between buffs, and how they work with each other. Stats, and the patience to understand it all.

I completely disagree with this, although you said its speculation :P

PvP is just as easy as leveling, in my opinion, its not rocket science, its all common sense.

Maybe a reason some players dont like PvP, is that it can be forced upon you. A player can not choose to not participate in PvP, where as everything else in the game, they can choose to participate or not.

Also, if you like to level, PvP can take away your levels.

If you like to PvP, players can not take away your PvP, if that makes sense :)

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#6 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:00

I completely disagree with this, although you said its speculation :P

PvP is just as easy as leveling, in my opinion, its not rocket science, its all common sense.

Maybe a reason some players dont like PvP, is that it can be forced upon you. A player can not choose to not participate in PvP, where as everything else in the game, they can choose to participate or not.

Also, if you like to level, PvP can take away your levels.

If you like to PvP, players can not take away your PvP, if that makes sense :)

Im talking about competitive PvP, and/or PvP against a buffed opponent. Unbuffed PvP is painfully black/white. Buffs change the pace of combat drastically, and requires quite a bit of math and logic to do successfully. PvE doesnt have this, though it would be interesting if it did >.>

PvP may take levels... slowly, but it doesnt prevent people from levelling, so its the same both ways ;)

Levelling is forced on EVERYBODY. A PvPer needs to level to maintain their ability to PvP. A PvPer is hindered by delevelling moreso, and faster than a PvE-er ;)

#7 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:02

quite simply ? - read all the other threads about PvP - I think they cover BOTH sides of the argument pretty well before they degenerate into flaming (as, inevitably, this one will ... )

#8 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:06

Im talking about competitive PvP, and/or PvP against a buffed opponent. Unbuffed PvP is painfully black/white. Buffs change the pace of combat drastically, and requires quite a bit of math and logic to do successfully.

Yep, still easy, a bit of math and logic is common sense in my book :mrgreen:

I do see your point about the need to level to continue to have fun in PvP though.

#9 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:09

if your question replaced PvP with farming, arena, titan hunting, SE hunting or merchanting my answer would be the same

it's not fun for me, someone who plays this game as a timekiller

#10 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:14

quite simply ? - read all the other threads about PvP - I think they cover BOTH sides of the argument pretty well before they degenerate into flaming (as, inevitably, this one will ... )

Here's why I made this thread. I want to analyze why people dislike PvP, without drama. Maybe UNDERSTANDING both sides, we (the community) can find a way to fix it. Whether its a change to PvP, or changing the way people see it.

if your question replaced PvP with farming, arena, titan hunting, SE hunting or merchanting my answer would be the same

it's not fun for me, someone who plays this game as a timekiller

OK then, Ill extend my question to you (and other people with your mentality). What makes levelling fun for you? If you dont use your levels to enjoy other aspects of the game, what is keeping you here?

#11 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:15

There are those PVP'rs that do it for all the wrong reasons. They just enjoy the fact that they are torturing their target. Some will do it until the target cries "uncle", and a few others will keep doing just because.

#12 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:17

OK then, Ill extend my question to you (and other people with your mentality). What makes levelling fun for you? If you dont use your levels to enjoy other aspects of the game, what is keeping you here?

It's idiotic but I love watching my character grow... becoming the buffer and not the buffee (in the middle now). becoming a mentor for others learning the game. learning better buffs. fighting more difficult titans. I dunno... it's weirdly addicting... sounds stupid... but it's fun...

#13 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:25

Im talking about competitive PvP, and/or PvP against a buffed opponent. Unbuffed PvP is painfully black/white. Buffs change the pace of combat drastically, and requires quite a bit of math and logic to do successfully.

ISn't that what the ladder is for?

#14 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:27

What makes levelling fun for you? If you dont use your levels to enjoy other aspects of the game, what is keeping you here?

i have answered your question. I am a casual leveler. i may have been mistaken in thinking you were asking for opinions in your OP, not inviting debate

currently, at the rate i am casually leveling and the rate new content is coming out i will never reach the end of content

#15 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:37

ISn't that what the ladder is for?

Personally, I despise the Ladder. Its a moshpit of Medal Farmers, and people hoping to profit with tokens. Rarely, is there skill involved :(

There are those PVP'rs that do it for all the wrong reasons. They just enjoy the fact that they are torturing their target. Some will do it until the target cries "uncle", and a few others will keep doing just because.

Bullies are Bullies. I used to be on both sides of this. I would hit someone hourly for 2 reasons. 1. For being rude, and 2. For having excessive gold. I used to get 100 stammed hourly just because they can. I would hate to think that a bad experience causes people to avoid something altogether, but sadly, this happens all the time (especially at lower levels)

What makes levelling fun for you? If you dont use your levels to enjoy other aspects of the game, what is keeping you here?

i have answered your question. I am a casual leveler. i may have been mistaken in thinking you were asking for opinions in your OP, not inviting debate

currently, at the rate i am casually leveling and the rate new content is coming out i will never reach the end of content

You're right. I was asking for opinions, but im not trying to debate, either. I was just asking :) I am a weird being, sitting between 2 groups, trying to understand both, and looking for balance. I apologize.

#16 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:39

BTW, ops comment and another pvp'rs comment against a player who "may" leave the game in the "Upcoming Buffs" topic really speaks volumes. It shows you don't care for the growth of the game as long as the game evolves to the way you play the game. Too bad if we lose more players... don't let the door hit you on the way out (was the message to that player)...

#17 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:49

Personally, I despise the Ladder. Its a moshpit of Medal Farmers, and people hoping to profit with tokens. Rarely, is there skill involved :(

"Fix" the ladder then you get what you were asking for...

Bullies are Bullies.

And as long as they play within the rules of the game, they can most definitely thrive in this game.

As a vicitim. you lose xp and gold on the first hit. Then you spend more gold/fsp to put them on the board.
As the attacker, you gained gold and enjoyment for causing pain for victim. you MAY get put on the bounty board but as you well know, this isn't a guarantee... You MAY get soft cleared or hard cleared or not cleared at all. You may get cleared by a "Friend" so additional gold/fsp from victim goes to friend. That'll sure make the victim feel good to know that their reward went to the attackers friend.

#18 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:56

"Fix" the ladder then you get what you were asking for...

Bullies are Bullies.

And as long as they play within the rules of the game, they can most definitely thrive in this game.

As a vicitim. you lose xp and gold on the first hit. Then you spend more gold/fsp to put them on the board.
As the attacker, you gained gold and enjoyment for causing pain for victim. you MAY get put on the bounty board but as you well know, this isn't a guarantee... You MAY get soft cleared or hard cleared or not cleared at all. You may get cleared by a "Friend" so additional gold/fsp from victim goes to friend. That'll sure make the victim feel good to know that their reward went to the attackers friend.

Lately, People are farming for Smasher Medal, so its unlikely to get 'soft-cleared'. If you want to make sure your attacker loses levels, make a delevelling party or mercs to do it. Bountying someone has its drawbacks, for both sides.

BTW, ops comment and another pvp'rs comment against a player who "may" leave the game in the "Upcoming Buffs" topic really speaks volumes. It shows you don't care for the growth of the game as long as the game evolves to the way you play the game. Too bad if we lose more players... don't let the door hit you on the way out (was the message to that player)...

I didnt talk down on anybody threatening to leave, but honestly, Anti-PvP players hate anything that may make PvP stronger/better. Forgive us for defending an idea, like anyone who likes any of the other ideas would

#19 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:58

I love PvP, but I also think it is not fair, and too easy to win against an unprepared or offline target.

I wish I could come up with an idea to make it fair for the attacker and the target, but that is a tough one to think of.

This would encourage more to participate in PvP, be they the attacker or defender :)

#20 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:04

Lately, People are farming for Smasher Medal, so its unlikely to get 'soft-cleared'. If you want to make sure your attacker loses levels, make a delevelling party or mercs to do it. Bountying someone has its drawbacks, for both sides.

I would think a PVP guild would love nothing more then for a full scale war to break out with the delevelling party that isn't as well equipped to handle such a thing? And good luck finding mercs... it's a "bad" word amongst pvp'rs and you'll get pvp'd just asking for someone to merc. And in most cases, they are allied with each other.

I didnt talk down on anybody threatening to leave, but honestly, Anti-PvP players hate anything that may make PvP stronger/better. Forgive us for defending an idea, like anyone who likes any of the other ideas would

Don't PVP'rs hate anything that make PVP weaker? It goes both ways and many aren't as articulate as you and will use words like "whiners" and "Crybabies" except when they look in the mirror... lol. If I were you, I would've taken the opportunity to engage the complainer and really learn like you are trying to with this thread. I would have also shut up the other pvp'r as he had the harsher words and it doesn't help your cause. But that's just me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: