• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 lawyergod

lawyergod

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:58

Ignore these ideas of crystalline etc, those are just not going to happen.

No desire for a shouting match or anything of the sort, but I'm kinda surprised at the definitiveness with which you and dismiss the idea, whereas there hasn't been a great deal of actual discussion of the merits. Whether HCS themselves would consider the idea is a different matter entirely, but I'm concerned more with why you, and others, seem to dismiss the idea out of hand, without any talk as to WHY it's apparently a bad idea.

#42 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:08

Ignore these ideas of crystalline etc, those are just not going to happen.

No desire for a shouting match or anything of the sort, but I'm kinda surprised at the definitiveness with which you and dismiss the idea, whereas there hasn't been a great deal of actual discussion of the merits. Whether HCS themselves would consider the idea is a different matter entirely, but I'm concerned more with why you, and others, seem to dismiss the idea out of hand, without any talk as to WHY it's apparently a bad idea.

That's just my opinion of it. I think it just isn't going to happen because in my opinion, it goes against the spirit of Epics and crystalline. Its a nice idea, a new uniqueness to them, but not of the spirit of the Epics and crystalline in my opinion.

#43 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:08

Bump

#44 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:34

That's not a bad idea. I agree with that idea.

Crystalline Epics:
Higher Stamina gain than normal Epics.
Low durability, 50-75 would be good.

Sounds like an idea that might be worth pursuing. We'll think about it.

Adding in recipes using more RP items, combining Epics together, etc.

But what would the outcome look like?

Possibilities:
+1 or +2 on stamina gain or xp gain
New enhancements!
Upgraded stats.

Anything other thoughts?

Also a possibility.

#45 kalish

kalish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:48

Crystalline Epics:

Allow me to vote against this here. Epics are mainly used for stam gain and arena, not hunting or PvP (especially due to epics not working with the Coordinated buffs), so allowing crystalline epics to have greater stam gain doesn't make much sense; they'll never get broken. That is, unless random PvPers like to go around and smash crystal epics for some reason.

Adding in recipes using more RP items, combining Epics together, etc.

But what would the outcome look like?

Possibilities:
+1 or +2 on stamina gain or xp gain
New enhancements!
Upgraded stats.

Anything other thoughts?

Also a possibility.

This is better. I'd still be leery of including all low level epics because I think low level epics being relatively cheap is not a bad thing. Allowing low level players (and those without a lot of FSP) to have the pleasure of owning an epic or two is a good thing in my opinion.

#46 lawyergod

lawyergod

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:55

Crystalline Epics:

Allow me to vote against this here. Epics are mainly used for stam gain and arena, not hunting or PvP (especially due to epics not working with the Coordinated buffs), so allowing crystalline epics to have greater stam gain doesn't make much sense; they'll never get broken. That is, unless random PvPers like to go around and smash crystal epics for some reason.

I actually don't disagree with you, which is why my initial idea had the durability much lower than 50/50. I was thinking more along the lines of 25/25, or even 10/10, the idea being that if you had these things, you'd have fairly ridiculous (compared to normal epics) gain stats, but you would lose the stats after only a few poorly timed PvP hits, or one GvG against you as an idle target. That would be the whole point: incredible stats, with incredible risk.

#47 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:23

I actually don't disagree with you, which is why my initial idea had the durability much lower than 50/50. I was thinking more along the lines of 25/25, or even 10/10, the idea being that if you had these things, you'd have fairly ridiculous (compared to normal epics) gain stats, but you would lose the stats after only a few poorly timed PvP hits, or one GvG against you as an idle target. That would be the whole point: incredible stats, with incredible risk.

Yeah, I'd go down to 25 durability too, or even 10 ...

#48 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:29

Or both, 10 for the lower level Epics, 25 for the higher level. Make it relative to the stats that it gives..

#49 Placeboo

Placeboo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:31

This is a good idea: Maybe some recipe like skally + oggy = Frozen Magma Boots etc etc.

However, these need to NOT be in recipes. Many epic and high end items have been broken due to the INV 500 pots.

#50 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:42

This is a good idea: Maybe some recipe like skally + oggy = Frozen Magma Boots etc etc.

However, these need to NOT be in recipes. Many epic and high end items have been broken due to the INV 500 pots.

If something like this is implemented, I'd REALLY, REALLY hope that the cows implement the feature that was suggested so long ago, the one where any components in the AH which are listed in a new recipe are removed from the AH - so as to prevent the first to get the recipe making a killing.

In this example, I'd say this "kill any auctions" is paramount, because the potential for making money is so great ...

#51 uhsword

uhsword

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:46

If something like this is implemented, I'd REALLY, REALLY hope that the cows implement the feature that was suggested so long ago, the one where any components in the AH which are listed in a new recipe are removed from the AH - so as to prevent the first to get the recipe making a killing.

In this example, I'd say this "kill any auctions" is paramount, because the potential for making money is so great ...

Just like it goes for timeshare and how did that end.. oh wait it hasnt! :roll:

eqnq15.png                  

#52 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:24

There's a good idea, but it would mean that there would need to be a completely new update to the game to support this. We currently don't have anything in the game to just "combine" items with out recipes...

The recipe invent success rate could be placed at 10-20% like the Gnarled series to have some sort of control on it instead of a 100% success rate..

#53 kimbo

kimbo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:43

a very LOGICAL idea..+1 on that :lol:

#54 vamunre

vamunre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 00:03

There aren't as many inventor 500 pots as there once was, so that shouldn't be as big as problem.

#55 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 02 March 2013 - 00:32

Just as long as the cows don't release the omacaz pot again. That would be hell.

#56 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:28

Just as long as the cows don't release the omacaz pot again. That would be hell.

Oh it will come out again with an offer, unless this idea goes through and they create a new bonus box for the $60 offer.

#57 Tazarian

Tazarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Canada

Posted 04 March 2013 - 13:01

A very intresting topic with many avenues that could effect FS's economy in the long run. Done right, it would be a very positive effect (perhaps even getting older players and new ones to join?).

We have (what some say) a dieing thing in the game, GVG that could also be revived from this too. More people wanting certain epics will need to get the RP to get the items to make the epics. This will allow a middle ground cause you could buy the items (with inflated prices) or, go put some elbow grease into it and do it yourself.

As for what you could combine, perhaps epic + epic or, epic + RP item? If epic + RP items is a better idea, then make the invent rate low on it (hey it's a risk you want to take to get something better, then making it easy has no point).

Keeping the invent rate low will make the Invt 500 potions not as effective and, some epics we just have a ton of in game can be used up.

However to be kind, perhaps the lower level epics could have a better chance of making it? KKH + Crystal Skull: Krimson Crystal Skull (L150? epic). O. Firey Grasp + Crystal Skull: Crystal Firey Grasp. We could even use the Deepwater Choaker inplace of the KKH (Deepwater Crystal Choaker?). Only thoughts.

Either which way, any touching of the epics will have an effect on prices. It's best to have a complete global effect (that won't negate the little guy) then to freeze Joe Blow out of being able to get any epic cause of prices being too high.

I for one would love to see epics being used for more then looking pretty and, giving us the Xp/stam gain we all enjoy. If we could stimulate the game to grow from this idea (or part of it) then, so be it.

#58 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2013 - 16:17

Or both, 10 for the lower level Epics, 25 for the higher level. Make it relative to the stats that it gives..

I highly doubt many players will want to buy epics with 10 or 25 durability.
The moment that epics become crystalline a few PvPers will find it their hobby to reduce the durability to 0. And that can easily be done with a few PvP hits over a few days.
And then the crystalline epic is worthless.

The crystalline epic in the example above takes a pair of Skally boots and a pair of Oggy gloves. At the current AH prices that will be worth around 600 FSP. And the idea is that these new epics will increase the price of old epics...

If these epics are used for stam gain then you'll have to wear them a lot and PvP is likely to happen.
For 600 FSP you can buy 15k stamina. So it will have to be an insanely high stam gain to make these epics worthwhile.

If these epics are mainly used for the PvP Arena then people will put them on and off in mere seconds and PvP is not very likely.
But there aren't many players who will buy epics solely for PvP Arena use, so it will hardly raise demand (and thus prices) on the old epics. :roll:

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#59 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:12

The moment that epics become crystalline a few PvPers will find it their hobby to reduce the durability to 0. And that can easily be done with a few PvP hits over a few days.

The crystalline epic in the example above takes a pair of Skally boots and a pair of Oggy gloves. At the current AH prices that will be worth around 600 FSP. And the idea is that these new epics will increase the price of old epics...

If these epics are used for stam gain then you'll have to wear them a lot and PvP is likely to happen.
For 600 FSP you can buy 15k stamina. So it will have to be an insanely high stam gain to make these epics worthwhile.

If these epics are mainly used for the PvP Arena then people will put them on and off in mere seconds and PvP is not very likely.
But there aren't many players who will buy epics solely for PvP Arena use, so it will hardly raise demand (and thus prices) on the old epics. :roll:

Good point, seems like the cost - risk isn't worth pursuing unless the gain is massive.

#60 lawyergod

lawyergod

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:59

Good point, seems like the cost - risk isn't worth pursuing unless the gain is massive.

You're right. The gain would have to be exceptional to be worth the risk. And that's exactly how I would envision it -- incredible stats, incredible risk. The plus-10 gain stats were just an idea; if people think it isn't enough (and it might not be) what WOULD be worth it?

Alternatively, instead of upping the gain stats on the individual items, it could also work to make the items as part of a set -- again, like the old Gurgiss items. Each individual piece gives gain (plus-10 continues to be my baseline proposal, but that's open to discussion), plus the set bonus would give even more gain bonus.

The whole point of my idea is the notion of getting really incredible gain stats, but running a huge risk all the while, which I think would make things more interesting, and require a real sense of trade-off when selecting epics -- are the awesome stats worth all of the hassle and the expense of replacing them. At it's best, it would work as a potential gold sink, and create demand for ... nearly everything, honestly, since the original proposal of this thread was to utilize old epics in recipes to create new ones. Demand for Titan epics, RP epics, PvP Ladder rewards, Arena rewards, things from the Caves -- nearly everything would be in play. And if the items were popular, AND got broken fairly regularly (given the low durability), this demand would be constant, and hopefully spur on action in all facets of the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: