Losing a Legend

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 gothador_sirith

gothador_sirith
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 18:40

I never wanted to come back to the Gothador forum like this, but I wanted to share the sad news that our friend (and many, many others') Andy died last night in a car accident. Gothador knew him as Andor, and he was the funniest and greatest guy I ever knew here. He taught me the ropes and tricks-of-the-trade, asked me to be a part of the greatest group of people I've ever known online, and gave me some of the happiest moments the internet could ever hope to offer.

Some of you hopefully may remember his birthday party in 2006...I forget who opened the doors, but I remember Mange played the greatest disco set on the radio and my hangover lasted for a few days. Here's a screenshot I've always hung onto (but a .gif would serve it much better)...

Posted Image

and because I'm feeling really sentimental coming back here, a picture of his old avatar...I hope his character is still floating around out there somewhere...

Posted Image

I'm really going to miss him....because of Andy, Gothador will always have a much warmer, fuzzier place in my heart.

~GmbH

#2 Jem

Jem

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 22:31

Thanks for starting this G not sure I would've been strong enough to start this thread.

It feels particularly right to write this here where I first got to know Andy.

He was an awesome player in this game and one of the reasons why I so wanted to join Melee. Generous, kind hearted, a great listener and a total potty mouth! Voice conferences were always X rated!

I will probably come back when this has sunk in and add to this but for now <3 always Andor

#3 dyscord

dyscord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 22:52

This is seriously crazy to me. He was literally just making inappropriate posts on Facebook less than 24 hours ago. My heart goes out to his family and those who were close to him. I didn't know him very well, but I'm still gonna miss what I did know of him. This is truly a sad day and we are less without him.

He really was a hilariously inappropriate guy. In fact, the last thing he posted was "Andrew Sunderland...Refuses to come between friends. Unless they're like laying on top of each other."

Andrew Sunderland
"The best part about staying with someone that has a 2-yr-old? Wet wipes. *Lovin that spring-fresh feelin*"

Andrew Sunderland
"Apart from opposing teams and lovers , vacuum cleaners might be the only thing we get annoyed with for *not* sucking."

This was shortly following a post he made, quoting a conversation he had with his daughter. He seems like a pretty awesome dad. "Daddy why do they call it poisonberries if they're not poisonous?" "Because they're actually called boisonberries Mariah." "Oh. What's boison?" "A place in Idaho... sorta"

Andrew Sunderland
"Ya know taking 4 kids ages 2-10 and a dog to the park is kinda lame when you're the only "adult." Not one of em wanted to drink beer or smoke, and they weren't the least bit amused by the brilliant pick-up lines I had for the single moms. They were just like "Daddy come swing! Daddy push me! Daddy stop eating the sand!" Next time, they can just go without me. X("

Just wanted to share some good stuff, Because I'm pretty sure he'd prefer laughter over sadness.

Geek for life...yo

#4 gothador_mortll

gothador_mortll
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:37

Andor was the first person to kill me while i was doing a quest in MT braskin . And i loved that Birthday party it was quite awesome. He will be sorely missed.

#5 Loopah

Loopah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:46

R.I.P. you will be missed by most players :(

He would often show up on my Radio Shows. Very funny and had a lot to help out.

loopah.jpg

I used to be BurtonX..but now see if you can find me ;)

We want a Yvew Proving Place http://forums.hunted...showtopic=22755

We'd also like a Tripler https://forums.hunte...ler-to-tripler/

#6 gothador_toneboogie

gothador_toneboogie
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:56

He was an amazing guy. I spent hours with him on the phone and talking on Facebook. I will miss him so much. Just a truly amazing person. I feel terrible for his girls who looked up to him so much. RIP Andy...

#7 lasciel

lasciel

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:13

Wow. No words. We had our beefs but Jesus, that's not fair to him and his family.

Does anyone feel like taking donations to send something to his family as a token of our remberance of him? He's got such young kids and he adored them.

#8 Mysticalme

Mysticalme

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:27

He was an amazing man and will be missed by many. I met him on here and then got the honor of meeting him at the Melee meetup in Tulsa. I've since kept in contact with him on FB and via txt messages. It still isn't sinking in that he's gone. He worshiped his girls and I'm sure he'll always be with them. Words simply fail me at the moment. Be at rest my friend and blessings to the entire family.

#9 OnionGroove

OnionGroove

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:21

I don't even know how to process this right now. A dear friend of mine posted on her blog and I came here, hoping to find there was some mistake. I am so horribly sad for his family...I send them my best, all my healing energy, because they're going to need all they can get.

I am grateful that I had the opportunity to share this virtual world with him for a while, and I was seriously bent when he left, but you gotta live your life. He was one Hell of a player, and knew his way around a Mage better than anyone else I have ever talked to. He was the one of the best merchants I've dealt with, and on more than one occasion gave me some very sound advice, advice that I'm glad I took. A couple of years ago, when we could still sell our characters, I was fortunate enough to pick one of his up; I felt lucky then. I can't even express how I'm feeling right now.

Andy, thank you. For the advice, for the laughs, and for just being yourself.

"In the end, you will always kneel."

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."

#10 insatiable

insatiable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:40

I am dumbfounded....

He was just picking on Isis on FB yesterday, teasing her to get me to talk to him, just yesterday. And I was holding out to watch him squirm, both of us laughing at the annoyance I can be.

Just yesterday... just hours before he was spirited along to the next adventure.

My prayers are for his little ones, I can't imagine how tough this change in their lives will be.

Via Con Dios Andy. Go forth good and faithful servant into your rest.

#11 seasack

seasack

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:35

i didnt know him , and he didnt know me , but when i joined the game in early 2006 , i ran across him a time or two and he was kind and funny and generous.that is the kind of person that we all hate to see pass on. so long andy , we hardly knew ya :(

#12 FrankNStien

FrankNStien

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:04

I didnt have a lot of contact with him, but as I seem to remember (and at my age it can be tricky) I think he was one of the earlier characters I traded FROM, i.e. bought from not sold to.
As non-Mellee I had little other contact other than via Forum (though he may of killed me occasionally).
I cannot "send my blessings" as I am not religious, but I wish his family STRENGTH in these bad times to follow and hope for a swift recovery (as far as it is possible) from this tragedy.

I again make an apeal to ANDREW MULLHOLLAND (aka Hoofmaster) to create a special place in the Gothador realms for fallen collegues.
Maybe a special realm - open to non-subs as well - with theft etc dissabled so no "bad" things can be done there. The characater could then be retired in all its glory.
If in the meantime someone has aquired the character - their copy could be renamed, keeping its inventory.
P.S. One topic of slightly amusing conversation between us was that my wife comes from SUNDERLAND in the UK, assumedly where his family (long ways back) also orriginated.

If someone who has RL contact with the family (it seems Mortl does) decides to take a small collection for (for example) flowers, then I would be willing to donate a few dollars as well.

#13 Visigoth

Visigoth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:01

Just one of many who traded with him.
Always had good advice on the game and I couldn't believe it when he left the game.
I'll never forget that pimp-looking avatar of his.
Definitely one of the legends around here, go with god mate.

#14 Debrutsid

Debrutsid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:30

I did not know him that well aside from forum posts, but he was always a stand up guy. was andor the cop or was that andyln? (w/e i am drunk)

anyway i swear one of them was.

either way i will also help out with a few bucks to a fallen gothadorian

#15 dyscord

dyscord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:46

That was Andalyn. And yeah, if someone will set up the paypal, I'll throw in a few bucks.

Geek for life...yo

#16 FrankNStien

FrankNStien

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:36

I did not know him that well aside from forum posts, but he was always a stand up guy. was andor the cop or was that andyln? (w/e i am drunk)

anyway i swear one of them was.

either way i will also help out with a few bucks to a fallen gothadorian

As the "Lady" says, Andalyn, with the Forum avatar of some pointed ear creature like a 50's Vampire.
And as to the pimp, yes, in fact as I remember he was probably the first to create a userID - "persons"Pimp (i.e. AndorsPimp), something of a fashion for a while afterwards.
He also orriginated (forumwise) the "reacharound" I believe.
(see, Im rememberring other things triggered by others posts)

thread forwarded to Hoofmaster

#17 AlBDarned

AlBDarned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:29

RIP Andy ... deepest sympathies to your family on the loss of a great guy.

#18 Iago

Iago

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 16:04

This is sad news... RIP Andy. :(

Wanted to inform you guys that Merpix is currently having trouble accessing their account, however we're working on helping resolve the issue as soon as possible so they can post their respect here.

Iago
Web Developer, Game Developer.

#19 Bluehaze43

Bluehaze43

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 August 2011 - 18:40

Very tragic and saddening news (but thank you for posting it here Jim).

One of the funnier guys I have ever had the pleasure of talking to.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of his friends and family - and especially his girls.

If anyone knows of a memorial fund for his girls (or family) please post here.

Rest in peace Andy, you will be deeply missed.
Posted Image

"Well I talk loud, and carry a bigger stick! And I use it too!" - Yosemite Sam

#20 gothador_merpix

gothador_merpix
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 21:30

It has been far too long since I have last visited this realm. I am really sorry it has to be under such incredibly sad circumstances. Andor did not know it but his quirky remarks always cheered me up as I was a very broken person when I first started here. It took me several months to even build up the courage to post anything on the forum at all. Andor to me was like the eccentric King of Gothador. He was also kind, sweet and always willing to help and share. I more observed him than communicate however, I had great respect for the character as well as the person even if he sometimes did some amusingly bizarre things. He made me laugh and he showed me a lighter side of the enjoyment of life when my real life was a very dark, dangerous and scary place. He often gave me the strength to carry on when I felt too weak to get up and carry on just by being Andor on here. As did all of my friends on here. It was a great honour when he also added me on facebook and I wish I connected with him more on there now.

He was for me a very inspiring factor in my life and he will always have a part of my heart and I am very glad to see I still have a part of him in my inventory :) he gave it to me himself on a bonding party. He taught me to celebrate life and thus I want to toast him with the Nachtmusic I am drinking in his honour tonight, as I know he will be in a good place for good people.

My heart goes out to his family however, and I hope his little ones will grow up knowing that their father touched so many life’s and inspired them to better them self’s and gave people hope with laughter.

It is indeed a sad day however we have great memories we can cherish forever and he will always live on in our hearts.

Andor, my beloved friend I salute you, may your new realm be one of much joy. I will be less afraid to go there myself now I know I will find you there. I hope you will have the chocolate fountain all sorted by then.

*big hugs, love and chocolate kisses to all*

Merpix

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: