Photo

Brewing Custom Potions (Composing)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
299 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like this idea? (401 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like this idea?

1. Voted Yes (375 votes [93.52%])

Percentage of vote: 93.52%

2. Voted No (26 votes [6.48%])

Percentage of vote: 6.48%

Vote

#1 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:33

I've had a bit of brainwave based on the Composing idea posted up by leos3000 in September last year.

Ok, so the aim of this idea is to add the following to the game:

1) A purpose for items which no longer have a use (or are in abundance)
2) Gold sink
3) Something for players at End of Content or with no stamina to do.
4) A reason to log in more often.

So the concept for breaking down items into 'tokens' based on their rarity will remain similar to the original Composing idea. This means that if you break down a common item, you would get a common 'token'. A rare item would give you a rare 'token' etc. (some items may give you more based on their level / crafting / hellforging etc.).

Now comes to cool part - how would you like to design your own potions? :D

So the idea would be that you would pick skills you would like to add to the potion and the duration for each skill. The game would then calculate a cost using both the tokens and gold and a chance of success. If the brewing failed, you could then try again. If the brewing was successful, the potion would then take 'x' hours to create after which it can be collected and you can start the next one brewing.

We would also introduce a 'Brewing Level'. For each potion you successfully brew, you would get brewing xp which would in turn increase your Brewing Level. This would allow you to use higher level skills, longer durations and increase your chance of success when brewing.

Notes:
1) These would be special potions, so skills such as Distil, Reckoning, Spell Breaker and Spell Leech would not work with them.
2) We could allow more than one potion to be created at once either by adding a new gold upgrade or unlock additional slots as your Brewing Level increases.
3) Some skills would be excluded and there would also be restrictions on the buff levels etc.

#2 jklundt

jklundt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:38

I like this idea...Would like it even more if the potions were bound

#3 gbjoe1

gbjoe1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:39

:P
i like the idea.....lets c how its gonna work

#4 iut044

iut044

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:40

I would prefer if the potions were not bound .

#5 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
  • United States of America

nice idea, I'm in :).

#6 feonix13

feonix13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Badge

Sounds like a good idea. It will add a fun, productive new feature to the game.

I also agree that the potions should be bound, to keep this from being a way the rich can get richer

Creation-byRoan.png

Ahem!!! ... As all the cakes are mine - That is my cake.
All of it.
Every last sprinkle.
Its mine....my precious....

#7 LLAP

LLAP

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:43

Bound for sure!
An amazing idea from the sounds of it, Hoof+team :)

#8 fs_ragingwave

fs_ragingwave
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:43

I'd love to have them bound, since it places more emphasis on checking in on the game rather than being able to just buy potions; buyable epic potions are already all over the place, anyways.

#9 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:45

Interesting concept. So are you saying that some of all the junk drops we get from hunting could be used, or more focusing on gear that once was all the rage, but have been surplanted by new and more powerful sets?

Just seeking futher clarification.

Hmmm, didn't realize the potions would be bound, but if we create our own that enhances our own game play -- I can deal with that and have fun with it. I do wonder though if the part about engaging the EOC players is going to work if they don't have anywhere to go with their new potion.

It's good to explore new ideas for the game.

#10 Tastria

Tastria

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:46

This is something that is going to develop as it grows, I can see it needing to be tweaked a bit here and there. I can also see that the possibilities could be endless. Go for it :!:

#11 Bluetail

Bluetail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:47

Nice job, I have been waiting for this a long time and it has finally arrived! The token system sounds solid and we can now recycle old gear :). The cooldown sounds a bit off setting though it would be better if it worked like regular inventing where Inventor 1/2 could increase our chances, ect and it is instant. On the other hand I like the leveling system involved here, it would be even nicer if medals were given towards this. I will keep an eye on this and see what the rest of FS thinks but overall I am glad to see this feature finally added. And I believe they should be bound to prevent people cashing out big time.

Insanity is when the sobbing slowly turns into laughter...

#12 Devilson11

Devilson11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:48

Anything to foster new players and this game to grow again. I like it, I'm in.

#13 Blixen

Blixen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:48

Nice idea:-)

2 things ->

Why make them "special potions"? Thats just going to complicate it. If you think they will be to powerfull with distil+BM- just reflect this in the level / duration of them instead. Keep it simple.

How about introducing luck to the game? What if the level on the potions where not fixed, but depended on luck - so:

80/100 potions turned out level 100.
10/100 turned out level 175.
5/100 turned out level 200.
5/100 turned out level 250.

My numbers are just examples. You get the idea.

#14 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:49

I like the idea. Finally, quest items will have a purpose :P

I do not see a reason for the pots to be bound, especially if you do not have to deposit the gold all at once. And, everyone can hunt SEs and Elites....

#15 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:49

thinking -- no reason for the concept not to begin as bound potions and over time could always evolve.

Would it be a programming nightmare for people to develop recipes that could be sold?

#16 batboy135

batboy135

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:50

Keep it Bound

#17 Kildek

Kildek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Badge

Hi HCS staff.

Thanks for trying to improve the game.
But instead of starting on yet another project,
i would prefer if you would finish the already started projects.

Just as example:
In the new AH the "Enhancement" filter is broken.
Click on an item to search in AH does not work if the item name
includes special characters like " ' ".
+ many feature requests by players.

There are many loose ends like these.

Regards,
Kildek

#18 fs_ragingwave

fs_ragingwave
  • Guests

Interesting concept. So are you saying that some of all the junk drops we get from hunting could be used, or more focusing on gear that once was all the rage, but have been surplanted by new and more powerful sets?

Just seeking futher clarification.

Hmmm, didn't realize the potions would be bound, but if we create our own that enhances our own game play -- I can deal with that and have fun with it. I do wonder though if the part about engaging the EOC players is going to work if they don't have anywhere to go with their new potion.

It's good to explore new ideas for the game.

My guess is to be for outdated gear, since junk drops from hunting would be of low rarity and thus poor value in brewing, I'd assume.

I'm curious, though. Would a certain level be required for a certain buff? (e.g. 1200 for Smashing Hammer) Or would anyone be able to brew potions for any buff?
It seems like they'd lose a lot of appeal to the lower levels if the level requirement is at the same level as casting the actual buff itself, but it also seems unfair to higher levels if it would allow everyone access to the exclusive buffs of their level.
^ assuming that they're bound for the sake of the theory

If pots aren't bound, we're just creating a new market to be profitted off of. Players with loads of stamina and FSP aren't going to feel any more obligated to be involved with the game than they were before, since whatever new potions would just be purchase-able.

#19 Placeboo

Placeboo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:51

Please god no more Adept learner , librarian, conserve pots . keep these potions non XP related please
Like the idea though

( i agree with keeping it bound - or at least some of them)

#20 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 00:53

Please god no more Adept learner , librarian, conserve pots . keep these potions non XP related please
Like the idea though

( i agree with keeping it bound - or at least some of them)

I think a few AL / conserve/ lib pots isn't a bad thing, it'll all depend on what's needed to invent them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: