206 replies to this topic

#41 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:28

That's what I am talking about. People judge any situation based on what they are inside.

Are you judging me? :shock:

#42 avvakum

avvakum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:30

That's what I am talking about. People judge any situation based on what they are inside.

No.

#43 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:34

No.

So you must be talking about other "people" then... lol

#44 avvakum

avvakum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:48

Anyway... It is apparent that we have a completely different concept of "challenging". For me it involves micro-managing, whether it's strategy, formation, skill set, move set, unit type, weapons, magic, spacing, terrains, or whatever. Unfortunately, strategy in this game limited to changing gears, buff yourself to mojo, and hope that 2% or other chances buffs doesn't screw you up by activating at the same time. IS. THAT. SIMPLE.

"PvP in this game pretty much sucks. The only significant fun to be had from that side was deleveling people for revenge" ~ Chilon, 09-09-2007

PvP in this game is not about winning one combat. It's about who will hit the last.

#45 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:55

Ridiculously simple and very random.
Period.

That's your opinion. Does not make it a sweeping truthful statement. Don't try to force your opinion on others. If other players find that buffs can make the PvP more complex and interesting, then that's their opinion. And that's fine.

Furthermore, Fallen Sword has always been a PvP-centric game. You claiming otherwise is inaccurate.

Let's try to keep this thread civil, yes?

#46 alexlouis

alexlouis

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:18

Period.

That's your opinion. Does not make it a sweeping truthful statement. Don't try to force your opinion on others. If other players find that buffs can make the PvP more complex and interesting, then that's their opinion. And that's fine.

Furthermore, Fallen Sword has always been a PvP-centric game. You claiming otherwise is inaccurate.

The OP asked for an opinion and she gave her honest opinion. I don't think people are seeking worldly truths in this forum.

As for my personal opinion, I tend to agree that PvP is simple and random. I also think it's more of a vehicle for harassment and other destructive purposes than real competition. Just my opinion....

And also, even though I'm no fan of PvP in this game, it has always befuddled me why a deflected attack can be bountied. Doesn't make sense to me. All risk for zero reward in my view.

#47 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:44

The OP asked for an opinion and she gave her honest opinion. I don't think people are seeking worldly truths in this forum.

Yes. Then she told them their opinion was wrong. Thus my saying keep it civil.

As for bountying a deflected attack, this was explained. The intent to attack the player was there. The fact the attack is deflected is irrelevant.

#48 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 18:31

Period.

Thank you, Grim. I want to keep this thread as civil as possible, and to be honest, as far as a PvP thread goes, its doing well...so far :)

Denyza, your point about FS PvP to be simple and random got me thinking really hard...and in a sense, its true. Combat in Fallensword (whether its PvP or PvE) is about percentages, and chance.

There are constants in combat to remember, though:

Attack vs Defense and Damage vs Armor+HP. If your stats arent high enough, you wont win. There are numerous buffs to make it harder to do so. The buffs that move around stats (but dont show on profile) make it harder to know if you're "safe-hitting", since there's other buffs that change the stat further.

The 'fun' of PvP to me, isnt delevelling, or causing grief...anymore >.> but figuring out how to win. This is more noticeable on the BB and in GvG, when your target is buffed, and/or suited up for combat. It can be quite difficult/strategic, especially when your opponent is online, and 'dancing' with you. I havent had a decent dance in years, now that I think of it :(

#49 PeterOwnz

PeterOwnz

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 18:35

I have always liked it, it is an important part to any mmo, it's a very competitive aspect and that's why i liked it, except ladder attack bounties -_-
ezgif-com-gif-maker-20.png

#50 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 13 February 2013 - 18:52

Attack vs Defense and Damage vs Armor+HP. If your stats arent high enough, you wont win.

The point that Denyza was making though is that the above statement isn't 100% true because of the RNG. There's a 2% chance, regardless of stats, that you'll hit a monster that you shouldn't, or that you'll get hit when it should be impossible. It's called "luck".

#51 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:02

Attack vs Defense and Damage vs Armor+HP. If your stats arent high enough, you wont win.

The point that Denyza was making though is that the above statement isn't 100% true because of the RNG. There's a 2% chance, regardless of stats, that you'll hit a monster that you shouldn't, or that you'll get hit when it should be impossible. It's called "luck".

And MOST, if not ALL games have it incorporated, its not a bad thing -.- some of the 'strategic' games she's talking about, some battles are based entirely on luck, not a 2% margin of error

#52 avvakum

avvakum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:06

there are so many buffs (and enhancements) to survive a 2% chance...

#53 avvakum

avvakum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:20

going turtle is also an option... there are so many interesting strategies in pvp mechanics, you have no idea. It's not that stupid game Diablo, where you are bored after few minutes of playing

#54 uhsword

uhsword

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 20:55

Like others have already said fs does have a lot of instances where luck is invoked in certain areas it doesnt mean that its absolutely unstable and gets radically fragile over time and besides this'll sound off topic to you but are you saying you would get mad whenever you scavenge in the caves back in the days whether the chances of it being there are ascending or not and encounter a monster repeatedly which you dont want at all to see and scold your comp b/c its outrageous you dont have full control over a few things?

eqnq15.png                  

#55 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 21:57

If you really want to pvp at the highest level you will gvg V guilds that will buff up and defend and change gear and sit there for 24 hours until all hits are complete win or lose....until you have done that you have not played the game....GVG at the highest level is the hardest part of the game.

#56 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:04

If you really want to pvp at the highest level you will gvg V guilds that will buff up and defend and change gear and sit there for 24 hours until all hits are complete win or lose....until you have done that you have not played the game....GVG at the highest level is the hardest part of the game.

Definitely. Ive been at the top of the GvG list (guild-wise) several times, and its alot of fun, and alot of work. I love the competitive aspect of GvG, and hate 'easy' targets.

#57 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:54

Oh my, my mind simply boggles at the idea of picking out the main reason I dislike pvp.

I guess if I was forced to say, it'd be the fact that in the entirety of the game pvp is the only aspect that a player can be forced to participate in. (even if the participation is passive/on the receiving end)

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#58 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:58

Oh my, my mind simply boggles at the idea of picking out the main reason I dislike pvp.

I guess if I was forced to say, it'd be the fact that in the entirety of the game pvp is the only aspect that a player can be forced to participate in. (even if the participation is passive/on the receiving end)

Doom, let the floodgates open, and tell all of the reasons... I want to understand thoroughly, and possibly work toward a fix that most can agree to. I think EVERYONE can agree that something needs to change, but nobody can think of something that can be accepted universally

#59 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:47

Doom, let the floodgates open, and tell all of the reasons... I want to understand thoroughly, and possibly work toward a fix that most can agree to. I think EVERYONE can agree that something needs to change, but nobody can think of something that can be accepted universally

You'll never get a universal fix tho..

The game currently has 3 main "camps"

1. Those that love PvP

2. Those that are ambivalent about it, and accept it but want no part in it

3. Those that hate PvP

Getting 1 and 3 to reconcile is impossible .. period.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. <-- quote by John Lydgate, later adapted by Abraham Lincoln

#60 Spitfire666123

Spitfire666123

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:54

You'll never get a universal fix tho..

The game currently has 3 main "camps"

1. Those that love PvP

2. Those that are ambivalent about it, and accept it but want no part in it

3. Those that hate PvP

Getting 1 and 3 to reconcile is impossible .. period.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. <-- quote by John Lydgate, later adapted by Abraham Lincoln

I understand that. However, I think groups 1 and 2 can agree that PvP needs to be changed. Group 3 is just the majority of the population, and tends to out-speak the others :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: