Photo

Health Leech on staff not applying to spells?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimecia

Ultimecia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:48

the one on my essence works just fine. Leeches for both essence ranged attacks and spells. but the one on staff only leeches on melee hit which isnt used by mages, is this intended?

#2 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:51

I believe it is,same reason staffs never degrade unless you 1)melee with them or 2) die.  we already have replenish.

Edited by HuMoR, 19 December 2013 - 04:52.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#3 Mojawk

Mojawk

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:07

To gain the life steel I believe you need to attack with this weapon.

John Stewart
Chief Operations Officer

#4 Ultimecia

Ultimecia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 22:57

Why tho it doesn't make sense. I can leech from my essence using magic, bit not staff....?

#5 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 22:59

because essence you are using a ranged weapon directly dealing spell damage,where as a staff you aren't using to apply damage your casting a spell.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#6 Ultimecia

Ultimecia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:02

And im attacking with the weapon. I have it equipped. It's not leeching from anything other than when I auto melee with staff, while my Essence leeches from auto range AND magic...

#7 Ultimecia

Ultimecia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:04

staves give magic dps tho.

#8 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:05

yes,but you don't actually use the staff when casting your spells,you use your hand but get the stat benefits from the staff. where as the essence you actually use it to cast that ranged attack for the healing,also don't melee with your staff lol it will degrade pretty fast, i'm sure you probably noticed that though.

Edited by HuMoR, 21 December 2013 - 23:09.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#9 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:17

but (correct me if i'm wrong) he's saying he is getting the life leach with essence when he's using ranged auto AND when he's using spells like fireball.

i keep reading the replies (correct me if i'm wrong) saying you get the life steal from essence when you use ranged auto and get life from staff when you use melee auto. neither from when using spells such as fireball.

if what i'm reading is correct then seems a logical question if essense is working properly and get life leach when using spells such as fireball because essense add's to the spell dmg even though you are techincaly using your hands to cast and not the essessence... then shouldn't the same aply to the staff as it too ad's spell dmg to your spells.

imo it should aply same both ways. either only life steal on auto attack for both or for auto AND spells for both.

however what i think is happening (and what peopel here might had been meaning to say) is the essence is a spell attack while the staff is a melee attack. therefor mage spells will still trigger the essence and not the staff even though you're not actualy using either to attack.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#10 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:27

when using the essence basic ranged attack you are actually using the essence in your hand thats why your hand glows up to the corresponding cast color the ess gives off thats why you get that health on hit because you are actually using the weapon directly. when using anything else mage based attack you arent using the ess or the staff so you wont be getting health on hit. and if you try to melee attack with your staff you use it directly to attack and gain that life.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#11 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:31

the one on my essence works just fine. Leeches for both essence ranged attacks and spells. but the one on staff only leeches on melee hit which isnt used by mages, is this intended?

i haven't done this myself to test but the above tells me that that part of your statement.....

when using anything else mage based attack you arent using the ess or the staff so you wont be getting health on hit

is incorrect

wich is the reason for the confusion and discussion.... :) he is indeed saying both essence ranged attack and mage spells (such as fireball) give the leach for the essence while you and seemingly the rest say it doesn't.. so perhaps essence leach bug?

Edited by awollsd, 21 December 2013 - 23:32.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#12 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:32

using any mage attack you dont use your staff at all awol,it stays on your back while you use your hands to cast them.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#13 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:34

I feel it was a intentional way to balance classes,not a bug. use your weapon directly for attacks= get the benefit of health on hit, don't use the weapon you wont get the benefit,and i'm sure what ulti was saying is why does the ess ranged attack give health on hit while the staff doesn't give health on hit for using incin.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#14 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:36

so when i cast fireball, frostbite, billizard.... i do use the essence?

it seems everyone here (including you) was saying i dont(or ulti doesn't as he's the one asking)  so if that is true and we dont use the essence to cast these then its one of 2 things.... EITHER the essence leach effect is bugged and shouldn't be triggering like he says it is... OR the essence is suposed to trigger because it adds to the spell damage of these spells and in that case so does the staff so why the discrepency just for balance or an over sight or a bug?

#15 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:42

sounds like the essence is bugged.  should not be leeching unless basic ranged attack is used.

Bryn -  Prophet - lvl 45

Ullr -   Ranger -   lvl 32

Thud - Warrior - lvl 16

Payn -  Templar - lvl 16

Jinx -  Mage -      lvl 10

__________________________________________________________________________________

Foraging - 45 | Farming - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Skinning - 34 | Fishing - 45 | Crystal - 45

Alchemy - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Tailoring - 9 | Leather - 9

#16 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:44

I think you're missing what I am saying, When casting the ranged attack having your ess equipped,your hand glows up and it actives your essence then you are directly using your weapon to cast that ranged attack so therefore you can get the health on hit benefit because you are using the weapon directly. when casting anything else,your essence is not in use at all nor is your staff so when casting incin,blizzard,ignite,fulm,erupt,(any other mage spell) you wont get the health on hit benefit because you aren't actually using any weapon. The reason i feel it is a balance not a bug issue is because as mages we already get the big benefit of replenish. 

and bryn,no one said they received leach life while using ess for anything else,and you cant use a ess to cast anything other then basic ranged attack.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#17 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:50

dude i know what you're saying about the ranged attack/using the essence i knew this already... but... it CERTAINLY sounds like he is indeed saying that he got the leach when using the ranged AND when using the other spells.... read the first post here..

it clearly says the one on my essence works just fun leeches for both essence ranged attacks and spells (meaning fireball, incinerate and the like...) if it was just leaching for the essence ranged then why would he say the word "both"

#18 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 December 2013 - 23:54

Pretty sure that's a typo on ulti's part.

Essence is ONLY applied using basic ranged attack. it CAN'T be used for anything other then basic ranged attack.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk,not meaning to. Just trying to explain it.

Edited by HuMoR, 22 December 2013 - 00:07.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#19 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 00:09

swords,maces,daggars,bows,crossbows,essence= weapons used directly to apply damage and have the benefit of leaching life from the gems.

staff= not actually used in combat at all (yes it applies stats and benefits to the fight) but you never actually use a staff to apply or cast a spell so it isn't used at all unless you use it to melee strike with which then you use it as a weapon directly giving you that benefit of leach life.

IF,this is fully intentional by HCS then what I advise is starting off your attacks with the ranged attack (ess usage) and then start casting so that way in between casts you are using those ranged attacks automatically and getting the possible benefit of extra life gain from that. (although i'm fairly certainly most mages have noticed this by now and are currently using that method).

Edited by HuMoR, 22 December 2013 - 00:13.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#20 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 00:14

yeah i was aware of all that just seemed everyone was overlooking his first statement that he is indeed saying that he is getting leach from his essence when using mage spells... 

if anyone would had adressed that and said "either you are mistaken or thats a type or essences are bugged because both the essence and staff should only give leach when using the apropriate auto basic attack"  then all this confusion/debate would not had happened haha..

dont worry though you're not sounding rude or anything :)  and now its cleared.. just need ulti to come clarify if he miss spoke or if HCS needs to check the essence leach effect. :)

i just wish i could get some help with my issue :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: