Zorg

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:01

Today we've removed all animated avatars from players and guilds, rendering them down to 1 frame PNG images instead. It was never our intention to allow animated images to be uploaded and due to a lack of support by most browsers (except Firefox) we've decided to remove them.

Some of them were really well made and we're sorry to see them go, although most of the really good ones still look good without animation. We enjoy looking at the avatars you guys come up with so hope this wont dissuade you from continuing to make them in the future.

~ Chief Technical Officer
Wayne 'Zorg' Robinson

#2 josh42

josh42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:03

Too bad some of us had to pay a lot of FSPs to get those avis that we can't even use now.

#3 hades8840

hades8840

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:05

some was ok the rapid flashing ones where a nitemare to view and was way too many to try and avoid

#4 tyskersejt

tyskersejt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:07

some was ok the rapid flashing ones where a nitemare to view and was way too many to try and avoid

I agree. And it most likely haven't helped on the game speed either.

#5 fs_labronnoc

fs_labronnoc
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:09

All because someone complained it hurt their eyes...what a crock!
I do think that people who payed for their legal avi's should be compensated by HCS for them in some way.

#6 Wesleysdf

Wesleysdf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:11

Thanks for the update. Really apreciated =)

#7 tyskersejt

tyskersejt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:12

I do think that people who payed for their legal avi's should be compensated by HCS for them in some way.

The cows just said that they never wanted to support animated avis so it wasn't because it 'hurt someones eyes'.

#8 fs_labronnoc

fs_labronnoc
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:14

The cows just said that they never wanted to support animated avis so it wasn't because it 'hurt someones eyes'.

Did not mean that they did anything to stop it before it happened....
It is funny how they did not care until someone complained.

#9 dew1631

dew1631

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:16

You have animated gear, why not animated avatars?

And so what if they are only supported by Mozilla? So what if some can't see them? It doesn't hurt the game, doesn't reduce functionality, and they were a gold/FSP sink so...?

I don't even have one, but you guys make no sense. Your reasoning is full of what cows produce. Come up with a VALID reason and I'll respect it.

#10 mimdala

mimdala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:16

If it had been something that was provided/sold by HCS, then they would (possibly) be responsible for compensation. But it wasn't, so they aren't.

mimdala_zps719aa5bc.png

#11 hades8840

hades8840

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:17

shut up about compenstation your like an ambulance chaser as for someone complaining where does it say that was the reason..ppl choose to have a animated avi so why should hcs pay them cause now they cant ..

also as it goes rapidly flashing avi can cause a siezure so ppl if they did complain over flashing images do have a valid point and not a crock as you put it

#12 uscx

uscx

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:19

You have animated gear, why not animated avatars? Your reasoning is full of what cows produce.

Milk? Their reasons are full of milk? I don't understand.... :shock:

#13 aaarnio

aaarnio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:20

Thank you, MOST of them were far from well-made. Too bad for those who bought one, but purple dots come and go.

#14 uscx

uscx

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:21

Having different features across browsers is stupid anyway. Maybe you keep your animated avatars on Firefox but Chrome users get 10 fsp per day for signing on. Fair?

#15 fs_labronnoc

fs_labronnoc
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:21

shut up about compenstation your like an ambulance chaser as for someone complaining where does it say that was the reason..ppl choose to have a animated avi so why should hcs pay them cause now they cant ..

also as it goes rapidly flashing avi can cause a siezure so ppl if they did complain over flashing images do have a valid point and not a crock as you put it

If you are afraid of having a seizure from looking at a 1"x1" avi, then
A. dont look at it.
B. You might want to see a Dr.
C. you just need something to complain about.

#16 MummRa

MummRa

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:22

While I was never fond of the animated avitars, I sympathize with those who paid fsps to have one made. Especially since from what I noticed the going rate was quite expensive.

#17 Zorg

Zorg

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:22

Leave this with us, I think we've come up with a better solution.

~ Chief Technical Officer
Wayne 'Zorg' Robinson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: