25 replies to this topic

#1 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 21:50

I wrote this a while back in my old guild and decided to break it out and post it on the forums. Hope you find it useful.

Before You Begin
You've got some FSP's burning a hole in your pocket and you're ready to strike out on your own so you can be the boss and do things the way YOU want to do them. Before you take the plunge off the deep end, let's take a look at what it takes to make a guild successful. There really aren't any big secrets to building a guild, it takes players and lots and lots and lots of FSP's so let's get started with a little breakdown of your new guild.

Getting New Members
You want to attract all those high level players to your guild but before they join, they will need to see that your guild will be able to help them along the way. After all, you can't expect all those high level players to leave their current guilds unless you can offer them something better. So let's start out with a few lower level players and work our way up to the higher levels. If you want more than 8 people in your guild, and I'm sure you do, you will have to buy more member slots at 20 FSP's each.

Member Ranks
Once you get some players to join you, they are going to need a rank. Those ranks only cost another 10 FSP's each. While we're discussing ranks, are you going to assign ranks or give players their own custom rank? Those custom ranks surely are attractive but they're still 10 FSP's each and can only be assigned to one player at a time.

Structures
Now you're going to need some structures. Structures and gear are what really draw people in, especially the higher levels. In order to build all those structures you will have to pay 75 FSP's for each structure slot. Once you've paid for the structure slot, then you can pay to actually build the structure. This is like buying an empty lot and then building a house on it, you have to pay for the lot and house and, just like a real house, there will be upkeep on your structures. Upkeep is charged hourly and taken directly from your guild bank so you'll need plenty of money in there for bills.

Guild Bank
Speaking of the guild bank, you'll need to have some extra money in the bank as a rainy day fund to cover your expenses just in case some of your new players are slackers and don't carry their weight as much as they should. A couple of million gold should get get you started but you'll need more as you grow.

Taxes
It would be nice if the members would donate enough gold to run the guild but since many members can't or won't donate very much one thing you can do to bring in more money is raise your tax rate. The higher the tax rate, the more money your guild gets for every kill your members make. Your new guild will start with a 0% tax rate and you can max it out at 25%. It will only cost you 10 FSP's per point to raise your tax rate(or 250 FSP's max).

Gear
Now that you've got your tax rate up and some structures in place, let's talk about gear. Remember, this is the other thing you will use to attract new members to your guild. Gear costs FSP's and lots of them. How much and what kind of gear you provide will largely depend on how much you want to spend and what kind of player you want to attract. Clearly, you want your players to have only the best gear but costs will vary considerably with higher costs for better gear and higher levels.

Gear Tagging and Storage
Once you've purchased some gear for your guild members to use you won't want them running off with it so you will have to enable guild tagging. This will only set you back 50 FSP's plus the gold cost to tag each item, a small price to pay to keep the thieves away from your gear. Now you're going to need a place to store that gear when members aren't holding it. Your new guild will start with 2 guild store slots. That's not very many to hold all that gear you're going to need so you'll have to buy more guild store slots at 50 FSP's each.

Miscellaneous
There are a few more odds and ends you'll want to complete your guild. Guild Advisor for 75 FSP's will allow you to see who's contributing gold, FSP's, and XP to your guild. More than 3 members per group attack will cost you 50 FSP's each. If you want to tell people a little about your guild on your history page, that will cost you 5 FSP's for every 20 characters (telling you that took 127 characters and would cost 35 FSP's). You'll want to advertise your new guild so people will know it's there and that will cost you 10 FSP's for a 24 hour rotating home page feature spot or 1 FSP for each 1 hour ad in the FSBox or Shout Box.

The Rest of the Story
In conclusion, I took a quick and lighthearted look at what it takes to get a guild up and running but the fact is that a guild takes a lot of money and hard work to make it successful. My intent is not to discourage you from starting your own guild but to ensure you make an informed decision before you strike out on your own. Anyone interested in what it took to get your current guild to the point it is can look at the Guild Advisor page to see what has been contributed. Subtract what you currently have and you will know how much has been spent by the guild on itself but please remember, the Guild Advisor page does not include the hundreds, if not thousands, of private FSP's spent by members to donate gear to the guild. Add that to the mix and you have a pretty hefty sum and untold hours of work.

I hope you found this post both fun and educational.

#2 fs_tal6727

fs_tal6727
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 22:09

not a bad guide, might be better though set up in point mode,Easier to read

#3 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 July 2010 - 22:15

Great entry level post Yotekiller, but I have a few suggestions:

1) You need to use some spaces in between paragraphs.

2) Headings would be useful.

3) I think your thread is somewhere between starting a guild and taking your guild to number 1 status.
I don't know if you need all the upgrades you mentioned, but you do need most of the ones you mentioned.

*** Hopefully this cuts down the number of guilds being created, because there are far too many inactive guilds out there right now. It is VERY HARD to recruit high level members, so don't underestimate the difficulty (everyone wants that level 200, 300, 400, 500+, etc. member not in a guild)

#4 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 22:17

not a bad guide, might be better though set up in point mode,Easier to read

I see what you mean but not really something I can add numbered points to and make it a checklist so I added spaces between paragraphs. Better?

#5 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 July 2010 - 22:18

spaces make it a lot easier to read, thanks.

***Think this thread is sticky worthy due to how much awesome information is available in it.

#6 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:48

guilds start with 2 guild store spots, unless this has changed very recently

#7 Tegger

Tegger

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:54

I'd just add one thing to this:

Decide what kind of guild you want to be before you start it. The majority of successful organizations have a "business plan" before opening, not after. I'm pretty certain that Microsoft wasn't founded by Bill Gates and his partners coming up with a name and renting office space, and then saying "Now what?" If you can't be clear on what you want to accomplish, you can't expect your guildmates to help you accomplish it.

This is the reason why rules and a mission statement for the guild are important, along with good communication. A guild website helps to accomplish this. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, one of the free forum sites is plenty good enough for a place to list rules and allow for guild communication. The problem lies in getting new members to buy into this. If they can't be bothered with agreeing to your rules and/or bothering or being able to effectively communicate with the rest of the guild, do you really need or want them?

#8 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 17:43

guilds start with 2 guild store spots, unless this has changed very recently

Oops, you are correct. Edited. :oops:

#9 jsustin212

jsustin212

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 17:47

Great entry level post Yotekiller, but I have a few suggestions:

1) You need to use some spaces in between paragraphs.

2) Headings would be useful.

this would b great

jsus_zpsa8d5d247.png

#10 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:53

OK, had a few minutes so I added headers. Also let me know if you see any other corrections that need to be made. Thanks.

#11 Roan

Roan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:55

Looks great now! Good job!
Much easier to follow then first time you posted lol :wink:

Firesinged_zpsd6b00c6e.png

#12 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 19:49

bump

#13 fs_door23

fs_door23
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 23:24

i feel a sticky comin' along or maybe thats a sing-a-long :lol:

#14 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:19

bump

#15 FORN

FORN

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:35

stickied!

#16 Skethz

Skethz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 November 2010 - 23:37

Good guide (=

#17 fs_cristobal7

fs_cristobal7
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:33

Looks great thanks :)

#18 fs_icefira

fs_icefira
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 21:46

who can tell me how much xp it takes to level up like from lvl 1 to lvl 2 to lvl 3 etc. etc. thanks

#19 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:54

who can tell me how much xp it takes to level up like from lvl 1 to lvl 2 to lvl 3 etc. etc. thanks

Here you go - http://wiki.fallensw...index.php/Level

Screenshot everything!

#20 fs_icefira

fs_icefira
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:20

thanks that was very helpful, any advice about gvg?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: