WowRefugee's Content

There have been 91 items by WowRefugee (Search limited from 19-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#871438 "Yes, and I already have it." button for skill dailies.

Posted by WowRefugee on 03 June 2014 - 00:36 in Suggestions

just not do the the ones you dont want to do and leve them on your quest log

Only after HCS adds the long-awaited ability to drop quests, IMO.  Personally, I find unwanted quests on my log highly irritating. I go out of my way to avoid that sort of clutter.

#869922 "Yes, and I already have it." button for skill dailies.

Posted by WowRefugee on 23 May 2014 - 16:11 in Suggestions

Yet another small UI suggestion.

Often, I pre-make the items I need for dailies before I even take the quest.  (In the case of potions, and other small-inventory items, I may pre-make many of them in a single crafting session.) Also, gathering dailies simply serve items up from your inventory.

So when I talk to the trainer, I likely already have the turn-in.  But I have to go through a lot of dialog boxes to complete the transaction.   First one or more to get to the "accept quest" page, and then another set to get to the turn-in screen.   I am suggesting another button on the "accept quest" page saying "Yes, and I already have it." or something similar.  (Text altered to fit the particular quest dialog narrative, I suppose.) Select that button, and the turn-in page pops up right away, skipping everything in-between.

#869915 Quest: A Fallen Sword - no charm

Posted by WowRefugee on 23 May 2014 - 14:08 in Bug Reports

Same here, turn in, no charm.  And it was such a nice quest line too.

#867280 Split stack panel quick-buttons.

Posted by WowRefugee on 07 May 2014 - 15:35 in Suggestions

Yay! Looking forward to it.

I always try to keep in mind the time and resource constraints HCS is operating under when I make suggestions.

#863908 Thread for Typos

Posted by WowRefugee on 20 April 2014 - 00:53 in Bug Reports

The final conversation with Amodi Katran, she says "... you are indeed worthy to be apart of the Gathering ...".  Should say "a part":

capture_amodi_katran_typo.jpg

#861599 Tanning leather gives skinning xp instead of leatherworking, bug or intentional?

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 April 2014 - 04:29 in Archived Bug Reports

Most  gathered mats go through a processing stage that give XP to the respective gathering skill.  In fact, only Foraging mats and mats gathered for Cooking use (from Farming, Foraging and Skinning) do not.

#861598 Profession calc

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 April 2014 - 04:16 in Suggestions

I do this all the time, for Crafting skills (I find Gathering skills tend to take care of themselves, except for maybe Foraging).  You just need a regular calculator and someplace to take some notes:

1) Compute the minimum skill XP to needed reach next level (max - current). Call this value 'T'.

2) Select a "grind item".   Find the plain item in your recipe book that yields the most XP for the least amount of gathered mats (purchased mats are irrelevant to this).  There are usually only a few "golden recipes" per page that are best.  If you are making items requiring mixed mats (WS), or there is there is a clear alternate, pick the one that will benefit the Gathering skill that needs it the most (if you want).  You may need to make a few test items to find out what XP each recipe gives.  (In the old days when the XP gain was a little random, I would do 10 items or so and compute the average.)   Remember that the XP gain for a recipe increases each time you level up, and also to recalculate T after any tests.

Call the XP gain 'X' and the processed mat(s) required per the selected item 'M'.

3) Calculate the number of items needed to level the skill (rounding any fraction up):  N = T / X

4) Calculate the total number of processed mats needed: P = N x M

5) Double that for the number of raw mats that need to be gathered, P x 2.   Note that you will also need P co-factor mats (coal, wool, sap, etc.).

Gather exactly all that stuff and grind away.  Make and vendor the created items to free up space.

Remember to check the the new available daily if you level into it (i.e. into a level that is a multiple of 5) before vendoring your last batch of items, as the grind item is often one of the things needed for the new daily.

Oh, yeah, and I never use crafting pots.  Don't have enough storage to justify using them.

(Apologies to those who consider the above obvious.)

#861593 Transferring Bound Items Between Alts

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 April 2014 - 03:32 in Suggestions

I would love to see that I have a few small backpacks that I would send to alt if I could

This. It would encourage purchase of lesser backpacks as needed, if you were allowed to later hand them down to a lower-level alt and purchase a larger one to replace it.  As it is, because backpacks are character-bound,  it's a disincentive to purchase any but the largest - and wait until you can afford/justify the higher price.

#858591 Available 37 quest is gray.

Posted by WowRefugee on 29 March 2014 - 16:30 in Bug Reports

After leveling to 36, the bulletin board had a 2 level 37 quests available with a yellow '!'.  After I took the first (the "De Valles Inhieritance" quest), the question mark turned gray, even though the remaining quest (the "Peril of the Dryads" quest) was also L37.   This only an issue of the marker color, because the BB menu can still be selected and the quest  still taken.

capture_available_37_quest_is_gray.jpg

#858567 Bad default standing locations when interacting with NPC's.

Posted by WowRefugee on 29 March 2014 - 15:12 in Bug Reports

When you interact with a NPC from a distance, you run up and go to a default location.  Some of these default locations are really inconvenient.  I am thinking especially about the 2 leather NPCs in the LW shop in EC - if you talk to the Skinning trainer, your toon will occupy the same location as the LW trainer,  and vice-versa with talking to the LW trainer making you take the same location as the Skinning trainer.

This is incredibly annoying because when you try to interact with the trainer when someone is standing there (through no fault of their own), the default selection is the player. Double-click selects the player, if you aren't watching closely and open a trade window, it will be with the player (I find random people opening trade windows on me a little disturbing), not the vendor.  Having to click the arrow buttons on the pop-up is an extra step which requires paying attention and alertness - not something I am always up to when I am doing my dailies (I often do dailies at times when I am too tired to actually play content).

Solution: Change the default interaction position for the NPC's in question.

I am sure there are other places where this happens, I will update this thread when I come across them.   Other players might chime in also with places they find where this happens.

#856592 Split stack panel quick-buttons.

Posted by WowRefugee on 20 March 2014 - 13:56 in Suggestions

Just a small UI suggestion.   On the pop-up window that comes up when you do the operation "Split Stack"  (either right-click menu or shift-click), in addition to the numeric entry field and the "Split" button, add 2 more buttons:  "Split 5" and "Split 10" - because these are the among most common actions, especially when doing daily turn-ins.

(The other most common action is just splitting off one item, which you get naturally because the number field defaults to 1.)

I would guess that the above three choices - splitting 10, 5, and 1 item from the stack, makes up >95% of all split actions taken, and making available the above 2 buttons will save people tons of time, because they mostly don't have to futz around with the numeric entry field.

#854445 Map of Illaneska

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 March 2014 - 15:24 in Bug Reports

Also, when you go to the Forestry trainer, the map shows you out in the water.

#853224 Quest confusion!!!!

Posted by WowRefugee on 05 March 2014 - 01:58 in Archived Bug Reports

Another way to deal discover the quest book you are operating in - when you are looking at an individual quest, you have a set of red chevron buttons across the bottom.  This is the "book path" - and you can select the book that your quest is contained in, and see where it fits in.  The "table of contents" quests mentioned above are the first at the top and not indented - the contained quests are below and indented.

#853220 Ancient MMO features rarely seen in modern MMOs

Posted by WowRefugee on 05 March 2014 - 01:35 in Suggestions

These are D&D concepts.  Some of then won't translate well from pen-and-paper to a coded game.  Nevertheless, it's interesting.

#853113 Option to hide helmets/hats

Posted by WowRefugee on 04 March 2014 - 16:36 in Suggestions

I wore a blue bandanna during Beta, was my favorite piece of Vanity gear*.  It's actually a Lone Ranger/TMNT-style upper-face mask.  Looked pretty cool.

FYI, I happen to have a extra unbound yellow paper hat that I really don't like - those things are bag hogs, and they don't look all that good, IMO.   I'll give it to anyone who asks me for it in-game.

(*Come to think of it, I may want to get that again...)

#853112 A tweak on the Pass/Greed/Need system

Posted by WowRefugee on 04 March 2014 - 16:25 in Suggestions

Or this, yeah. Pass and want for gems, rems, and flakes; pass, want and need for equips.

Drop "greed", it's confusing to everyone who isn't familiar with the system.

If the meaning of "Greed" could be clarified by relabeling it "Want", then that should be done too - and it's trivial to code.

#853104 A tweak on the Pass/Greed/Need system

Posted by WowRefugee on 04 March 2014 - 16:09 in Suggestions

IMO, 'Need' should simply be disabled* for Gems, Remnants and Flakes.  That would deal with 90% of the problem, not require a lot of talk-talk for random groups, and it's easy to code.  If you want to give one of the above to a particular group member, then everybody else should "Pass" on it.

(*Or maybe disabled for LFG-mediated random groups only.)

P.S.  I have heard some people claim that "Greed" is bad, and "Need" is good, so people should "Need".  In addition to the category error of bringing RL politics into the game, it just goes to show that some people will just be completely out of sync with the general social context, even while operating in good faith.  So it's better to limit the possibility that they will make a really disruptive mistake (I have seen groups fall apart over these issues).

#853099 Option to hide helmets/hats

Posted by WowRefugee on 04 March 2014 - 15:41 in Suggestions

There is a special feature for hoods (only).   Open up the character display, right click on hood, select "Toggle Hood".  It's almost an emote - because there is an action associated with it.   (And for some reason, it also closes all your windows...  strange that.)

But other headgear you are stuck with, unless you put on some vanity headgear, like the paper hat.

#853077 Account level professions

Posted by WowRefugee on 04 March 2014 - 13:48 in Suggestions

I made a single stack of 10 Sorcery Potions, and haven't used one yet.   If you are in a weak group, why waste it?  (Since you will just wipe and the group will dissolve.) And if you are in a strong group, you don't need it.

These expensive potions only make sense in the context of Guilds/Raiding - i.e. well-established teams taking on hard content.  Not random groups on leveling instances.  So they are really useless now.

Also, these potions would be more interesting/usable if the effect persisted through death.

#849235 Autofill sacks option

Posted by WowRefugee on 14 February 2014 - 15:05 in Suggestions

I think this could really go well with the new craft-all button.  Say you have mined 4000 bronze ore (filling 40 sacks) plus an additional 2000 coal (filling 8 sacks) and now you have maybe one free sack left.  With or without craft all, after you buy your 2000 flux (which can't be put in sacks) you will have to manage your sacks on the fly to capture all the output you will generate, or your inventory will fill up and the processing will stop.  On the other hand, with this change, as sacks are emptied of ore and coal, they will get filled with output bars or ingots.   That means you can take a little break after all that grinding you just did...   :D

#848433 Critique of new features.

Posted by WowRefugee on 12 February 2014 - 17:22 in Bug Reports

A lot of stuff I like, but a few issues:

WASD movement does not combine well with mouse panning.  When moving normally (click-to-move), hold-right-button panning of the POV is smooth and workably slow.   But if you are moving forward with the "W" key, then any attempt to pan causes the world to spin around you, which is useless.  The pan speed should be the same in all cases.

You can't exit full-screen mode after you have logged out.   You have to log back in, enter the game, go into options, and turn it off.   In general, the game needs an exit button on the login and/or character selection screen(s).  The exit button should pop-down full-screen (if set) and close the browser window.

The new craft-all and mine-to-completion features need polish.  They both trigger error messages when they finish.  These messages should be suppressed for this special case.

Otherwise, it's looking good.

#847725 Mounts

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 February 2014 - 15:42 in Suggestions

Re: Nightmare.  In WoW, that would be the Dreadsteed:

Dreadsteed (1).jpg

I got that one the old, hard way, before they made it just another elite mount.

But I'll take any old nag in Eldevin.

#847717 Some suggestions

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 February 2014 - 15:09 in Suggestions

"Pay to Win" means paid players get better gear or other combat enhancements, including access to exclusive content containing the same.  There is none of that in this game.

We pay for convenience and for vanity.  Vanity is irrelevant by definition and convenience factors can be overcome by careful planning and determined grinding.   If you care enough, you can avoid paying a penny and still do all the content.  It's more work, you will spend more time to get to the same place, but "Pay" refers to money, not time.

So check your definitions, please.

#847653 Rest area in personal rooms.

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 February 2014 - 06:12 in Suggestions

For RP purposes, at least.  You personal rooms in the Arcane Sanctum and the Barracks should give rest bonus if/when you go and log out there.

It only makes sense.  Bed == rest.

#847652 Some suggestions

Posted by WowRefugee on 10 February 2014 - 06:07 in Suggestions

Homestone cooldown can be shortened with 25EP - it's on the cooldown's page in the Eldevin Market.

Since it's a money for convenience thing, one of the way HCS makes money on this game (the other is money for vanity), I doubt it will be changed. 

Personally, I am used to strategizing Homestone (*cough* Hearthstone *cough*) use, so an hour's cooldown is no big deal to me.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: