28 replies to this topic

#1 cheekysob

cheekysob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:19

Greetings, People of Eldevin!

Just wanted to share my idea and listen to your opinions.

We have a bot problem,and that is really unfair for people who do not cheat.

My suggestion would be that there would be Sheriffs ( either devs or they could assemble a team from Eldevin community) who would scout the mines every 1-2 hours on all servers and check for bots. They could work in shifts.

These people could how a Sheriff Start at the end or beginning of their nickname. How cool is that? :DD

What do you guys think, maybe you could improve my idea or have another one how to effectively get rid of bot players?

Cheers,

RioT

#2 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:26

Greetings, People of Eldevin!

Just wanted to share my idea and listen to your opinions.

We have a bot problem,and that is really unfair for people who do not cheat.

My suggestion would be that there would be Sheriffs ( either devs or they could assemble a team from Eldevin community) who would scout the mines every 1-2 hours on all servers and check for bots. They could work in shifts.

These people could how a Sheriff Start at the end or beginning of their nickname. How cool is that? :DD

What do you guys think, maybe you could improve my idea or have another one how to effectively get rid of bot players?

Cheers,

RioT

There will always be bots, no matter what they do.

Right now bots have no influence on the game and gain very little experience compared to playing, since they're just basic scripts.

If you suspect a bot you can report them here:

https://www.huntedcow.com/support

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#3 cheekysob

cheekysob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:30

Yes you are right, there will be bots always, but we can take some actions to reduce their numbers.

#4 Pros

Pros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:34

Question: How can we tell if they're Bots @ Cheekysob?

zv61ht.png

#5 cheekysob

cheekysob

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:38

What i meant was mining bots for example, they repeat the same action time and time again. And they do not answer to any question. It is really easy to spot one :)

#6 Zixxus

Zixxus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:53

That could just be someone people who do not want to talk. I don't talk whilst mining, I even turn chat off while i'm doing it. Typing one sentence is wasting time by at least a stack of ores. 

While the bots aren't gaining very much experience, they are still gaining large quantities over time. for example, they may have a inventory full of sacks, allwing them hours upon hours of mining before having to stop. even if they are getting  a meager 7 xp every time they swing the pickaxe, 10,000 of those are 3 levels gained and a butt ton of ore to sell to players. 

But yes, bots are everywhere, in every game. no matter what programs you create and unleash to capture them, there will always be somebody to create a version slightly more advanced and slightly more undetectable. 

A game called Dark Orbit had this problem. They somehow managed to wipe the bot problem away. there were thousands. now that the bots have been erased from the game, the game seems barren now.

I'm working to be a Jack of All Trades. If you need something gathered, let me know. I won't charge much for gathering it because I'm raising my skills anyway. For farming, though, I need you to buy the compost, scarecrows, etc.. /w me anytime and i'll gather for you as long as i'm not gathering for someone else at the time. (US server)

#7 sry911

sry911

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Badge

Posted 09 December 2013 - 20:56

We need to find some kind of way to detect and delete bots...

#8 Elnestor

Elnestor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Badge
  • Austria

Posted 09 December 2013 - 21:31

That could just be someone people who do not want to talk. I don't talk whilst mining, I even turn chat off while i'm doing it.

That's ok, But you're still watching your actions on the screen. So, if a Dev shows up at your node, talking in Local Chat, you'll recognize (and better respond to ;) ) that.

The best way to detect and ban botting players is an active community. If you spot somebody, just report this guy to the support. Dev's will check that and eventually ban that player.

Edited by Elnestor, 12 December 2013 - 13:24.

~ Be a friendly Founder. Help Newcomers. ~

Char 1: Kyrion - Ranger - lvl 49

Crystal- 49: Farming- 49 : Fishing- 49 : Foraging- 49 : Forestry- 49 : Prospect- 49 : Skinning- 49 

Alchemy- 49 : Armor- 49 : Cooking- 49 : Jewelry- 49 : Leather- 49 : Tailoring- 49 : Weapons- 49

Char 2: Elnestor - Templar - lvl 49   **** Char 3: Sarakh - Mage - lvl 49 **** Char 4: Razvan - Assassin - lvl 49

Char 5: LordRahl - Warrior - lvl 49  **** Char 6: Hezekiel - Prophet - lvl 49 **** Char 7: Durendal - Ranger - lvl 49

#9 Pros

Pros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 23:41

What i meant was mining bots for example, they repeat the same action time and time again. And they do not answer to any question. It is really easy to spot one :)

I mean like how do they react while mining : P

sorry did not explain what i meant >.<!

and any clue to spot one

zv61ht.png

#10 sry911

sry911

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2013 - 00:06

I mean like how do they react while mining : P

sorry did not explain what i meant >.<!

and any clue to spot one

its easy to spot them.They mine one stone one time then run to other one,do the same and run to the third one(mine each stone only once,they dont mine stone till end)

#11 ComradeLewis

ComradeLewis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2013 - 00:34

Right now bots have no influence on the game and gain very little experience compared to playing, since they're just basic scripts.

I have seen a few that mine a node until it's done and then move to another. You can tell they are bots because if there are no open nodes they will move to the next closest one (that you are on), mine once and move again until they find an open one. 

There is an extremely easy solution to completely removing bots, and that is to allow afk mining at a decreased drop rate.

What this game does not need is more voluntary mall cops running around annoying people by standing in front of their nodes, mining the same node to see if you get angry or not and initiating trade windows constantly. Anyone that does that in game I will report for griefing. So, your sheriff idea is something I cannot support.

11/29/13 - 4/29/14 | 4/25/15 - 5/25/15

#12 Shylark57

Shylark57

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:37

Just because they don't talk doesn't make them Bots.. I see this in every game some one Cries BOT.... If I am mining I don't have the chat box open at all.. Also I move when a node runs out... WHY???  Because I have a gathering pot running most the time... Now if you really suspect a Bot make screen shots.. Put in a ticket with the suspected players name.. Unless you really have proof of wrong doing I would say don't make claims... Just my 2 cents... 

#13 Nature

Nature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:50

May I make a suggestion? I have played another game with similar bot problem. what they came up with is that having a NPC pop up randomly and give you a simple math problem if you failed to answer that simple math problem within 5 mins you will get suspended for botting. and there should be an afk mode for player who afk a lot in game. when stand still and do nothing for more than 5 mins your character will be set to afk mode which the NPC that check for bots will not show up on you. so it will be safe for those who afk a lot in game.

Think... Think hard! Everything you do has an opposite reaction.

#14 sdcrichy

sdcrichy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2013 - 18:57

what happens if like me you just leave yourself online and don't move and some talks to you. if your not there they may think your a bot ( even if your not been there, your character doesn't move).

i leave myself online sometimes just for the cooldown of the homestone if i need to pop out for a hour.

#15 Nature

Nature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 December 2013 - 19:06

what happens if like me you just leave yourself online and don't move and some talks to you. if your not there they may think your a bot ( even if your not been there, your character doesn't move).

i leave myself online sometimes just for the cooldown of the homestone if i need to pop out for a hour.

Simple... if your character stand still and do no action for 5 mins. the system will set you to AFK mode. which the NPC will not pop out on you to ask u questions.

EDIT: And the NPC will follow you for 5 mins before disappear or ban you for botting if you dont answer the question provided by the NPC. if you happen to get the NPC few seconds right after you left the game running and AFK IRL. the NPC will continues to follow your character until the AFK mode kicks in then the NPC will disappear without having you to answer the math question.

You see.. the NPC will follow you until you answer the question.. within 5 mins...
and the AFK mode kick in within 5 mins.... so i dont think the chance of getting falsely ban by the system is high at all... unless your pet can click your mouse for you while you AFK... that would be the problem....

Edited by Nature, 10 December 2013 - 19:14.

Think... Think hard! Everything you do has an opposite reaction.

#16 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:00

For a bot challenge to really work the conversation has to stand out more.  When I'm gathering, I put on music and just click mechanically.  There's every chance I'll miss it when someone talks to me.

So if I'm working one of the small groups of ore in Othalo Mine, over a short period of time what does it look like?  Could someone who hasn't worked with bots spot the inconsistencies?  Or might they jump to a conclusion just because I'm mining in a circle and not noticing chat?

So either the bot challenge should remain on screen in big letters (not rely on chat), or just leave it up to the admins who (presumably) have more experience with this.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#17 Skugga

Skugga

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:27

If you suspect a bot you can report them here:

https://www.huntedcow.com/support

Have you ever heard of a game called RuneScape? They had a cosmicly huge botting problem...they fixed it. They didn't just ban a few and then more and more until all of them were gone, they destroyed them in very large groups. After this fix, I haven't seen a bot since. They can and should get rid of bots. they'd best start now or perish the same way RuneScape did...the game hasn't recovered much at all. Of course, this is all assuming the people in the mines are bots, maybe they are...maybe they aren't. If this is a legit problem I hope Hunted Cow can destroy them as well, it was the beginning of the death of RuneScape, and it will be the death of this game if it is a problem and is allowed to continue.

#18 ComradeLewis

ComradeLewis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:01

I just discovered a bot today. Reported it, and hope that something is done. I have seen bots before in the game, but this one was far too obvious and I felt that I needed to do something about it - fed up you could say. Hopefully, I won't see this player on for a week or so, since that's what's in the rules. If not, well, I would probably lose faith in the game, considering it was so blatant and all.

11/29/13 - 4/29/14 | 4/25/15 - 5/25/15

#19 Lagenia

Lagenia

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 14:58

That's ok, But you're still watching your actions on the screen. So, if a Dev shows up at your node, talking in Local Chat, you'll recognize (and better respond to ;) ) that.

The best way to detect and ban botting players is an active community. If you spot somebody, just report this guy to the support. Dev's will check that and eventually ban that player.

nahh ... i got sent to jail once, because of this ... it was fast cleared out ... but when i am mining i mine with mousekeys from windows and just press 1 button on the keyboard while i watch a movie for example ... so i dont look on the screen, but press every now and then on the keyboard. This is a) no botting B) afkable for guys that like to play that way c) i dont see the chat at all ... 

i got out of jail once i realised it and pmed the gm but yeah ... its not that easy to see weather its a bot or not ...

edit: i really think, that most of you guys here dont really know what bots really are ... just because someone is probably talking, it doesnt mean he isnt a bot ... I am working with bots (because of my RL job) and there are really nice ways of bots, which can for example buffer the chat and send the chat (like a SMS) to the person that is using the bot, and he can chat via this program in the game ... so a speaking person means nothing ....

Bots can only be detected with software ... except for very bad bots, that run against the walls, suicide themself on specific situations and so on ^^ ...

But a good bot, will make you all think its a real person

Just my 50 cents to this topic

Edited by Lagenia, 12 December 2013 - 15:05.

5700658DHjpT.png

6 x Level 40, 8 to go

#20 redsmokeboy

redsmokeboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 December 2013 - 18:22

nahh ... i got sent to jail once, because of this ... it was fast cleared out ... but when i am mining i mine with mousekeys from windows and just press 1 button on the keyboard while i watch a movie for example ... so i dont look on the screen, but press every now and then on the keyboard. This is a) no botting B) afkable for guys that like to play that way c) i dont see the chat at all ... 

This make sound like bot.

Bot programe , or any kind of function that is not human interaction via fingure and mouse / Keybord human interaction!

Macro's auto clicker's other forum of use of macnical mean's , Slabing - Hold key in place or use of manual clicking with out human interaction, AKA Robot - Artifical mean's

3 point's made here that are in line with boting, non human interaction's concepted mean's!

Stated using compture's function, Is still in line with concepted of boting, As not click node your self.

If reading this right!

Note: Game has no auto mine function so have to click mine or node gather!

Edited by redsmokeboy, 12 December 2013 - 18:29.

Frog - Archer - lvl 49

Kazzarat - Templar lvl 49 Skiller

Redsmokegirl - War/sin lvl 49

Q PvP | No repair fee's | 1% EXP of lvl | Valor | Weekly 10 match | Achvemnt's | So much more Join when log | Click on cross sword via mini map Q solo |

Looking for group's RG/BT/ASV/ARG/ICC/CC Boss Killing/Arena 30+/ToC/ Need DPS willing come usly asking in world chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: