16 replies to this topic

#1 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 15:58

Issue #1 - arena only has like 8 regulars... 16 person tourneys NEVER START and it takes a century for regular ones. What caused this down fall? Alot of things mostly arena tokens. Worst idea ever to do with arena.

Issue #2 - arena previously used to have a range of 1-1200 and you have changed it to accompany 1-4000+ and have kept the amount of arenas spawned to about 50. Thus we dont often get a good spread of arenas in alot of ranges.

Issue #3 - alot of the moves are boring and pointless. Enough said there

Issue #4 - The risk to reward in arena is terrible. With the update to arena your pretty much guaranteed to hardly make a profit.

Issue #5 - games getting smaller and people are cramming into few guilds. The 25% guild member rule is inhibiting arena starting speed. Isnt arena a solo activity?

How do you plan to address this? If there is a plan at all. There have been so many ideas but nothing official stated.

Edited by EpicPiety, 10 January 2019 - 16:23.

#2 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 January 2019 - 22:50

yeah spread could change, its ugly atm for low level arena folks trying for medals, 1 arena for ever 25 or 50 ish levels would be good, eg 3 and 47 and 82 and 105 and 124 and 152 all the way up.

#3 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 22:57

yeah spread could change, its ugly atm for low level arena folks trying for medals, 1 arena for ever 25 or 50 ish levels would be good, eg 3 and 47 and 82 and 105 and 124 and 152 all the way up.

BG Fancied the idea of adding more arenas. He let me know it is not a promise but he wants to.

#4 Alisa

Alisa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:49

50 years and i still don't have bronze, i give up... why josh whyyy

sigma_468x60.jpg

#5 activeh1

activeh1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Azerbaijan

Posted 11 January 2019 - 13:22

dont let lev 4000 enter a lev 200 arena ,cap it to 1000 levs or something

5aZzW0p.png,

#6 activeh1

activeh1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Azerbaijan

Posted 11 January 2019 - 13:23

BG Fancied the idea of adding more arenas. He let me know it is not a promise but he wants to.

why add more if same players going to enter them ,just giving them more tokens

5aZzW0p.png,

#7 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 13:36

why add more if same players going to enter them ,just giving them more tokens

its not like they are starting fast and people dont have a chance to enter. It's the same few people. If you could only join +-1000 the arena would actually die and never start. I don't even think it's possible to make profit and play all arenas. Having to use all that backpack space and forge and craft your gear... a fortune... I only play 3000+ and I haven't put together too many sets but I invested like 500 fsps to compete. Making that back? Yea right will take forever.

Edited by EpicPiety, 11 January 2019 - 13:37.

#8 Josh1404

Josh1404

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 16:39

Adding more arenas to cover the gaps is by far the best solution. Perhaps ensure that these are always going to be below level 1,000. I am no coder so I couldn't begin to tell you how to achieve this but it's likely light work for hoof. Glad BG is considering this option. I am behind it for sure. With the amount of possible ranges now I think an additional 50 arenas would be around the mark. Maybe code it so 20% are 1 - 100, 20% are 101 - 250, 20% are 251 - 500, 20% are 501 - 750 and the last 20 % 751 - 1,000. 

Dumbing down game aspects to give win buttons to players is not a solution. The entire point is it being a competition with all players who choose to enter. As each individual arena has a level cap for the gear that can be used to enter it the level of the entrant is completely irrelevant. Also removing the ability for a lot of the regulars to play will remove a lot of activity from this area of the game. With dwindling numbers as is this will be the nail in the coffin. Not a smart move at all.

I actually like the token system. Making the arena winner takes all is quite severe for some of those playing. I know some players that literally only play because they have a chance to earn at least something back from their entries should they not win. I'd rather the arena remain less profitable overall to allow more people to earn at least something for their efforts should they make progress in the tournament but not come out the victor.

Admittedly making all the arena token items cost relatively little did drive arena token invented items down and therefore severely reduce profit from the arena. And that did in turn reduce activity in the arena. I still remember winning an Icon of Styx and being so happy knowing I just made 100 dots. But I don't necessarily see that change as a bad thing. Makes the gear more affordable for more players to have the sets they want. A few players monopolising markets on sets isn't good for the game. I'm on board with cheaper gear.

The 25% rule is no longer really needed. Agree with epic on this. So many less players now so this rule is very punishing on the bigger guilds. And whilst I understand why it was once there collusion doesn't happen. Even if someone out there is trying it doesn't work. Your competitor in each round is random no matter when you enter the arena. Removal of this rule could boost arena activity in a positive way. 

Edited by Josh1404, 11 January 2019 - 17:53.

#9 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 17:14

Adding more arenas to cover the gaps is by far the best solution. Perhaps ensure that these are always going to be below level 1,000. I am no coder so I couldn't begin to tell you how to achieve this but it's likely light work for hoof. Glad BG is considering this option. I am behind it for sure. With the amount of possible ranges now I think an additional 50 arenas would be around the mark. Maybe code it so 20% are 1 - 100, 20% are 101 - 250, 20% are 251 - 500, 20% are 501 - 750 and the last 20 % 751 - 1,000. 

Dumbing down game aspects to give win buttons to players is not a solution. The entire point is it being a competition with all players who choose to enter. As each individual arena has a level cap for the gear that can be used to enter it the level of the entrant is completely irrelevant. Also removing the ability for a lot of the regulars to play will remove a lot of activity from this area of the game. With dwindling numbers as is this will be the nail on the coffin. Not a smart move at all.

I actually like the token system. Making the arena winner takes all is quite severe for some of those playing. I know some players that literally only play because they have a chance to earn at least something back from their entries should they not win. I'd rather the arena remain less profitable overall to allow more people to earn at least something for their efforts should they make progress in the tournament but not come out the victor.

Admittedly making all the arena token items cost relatively little did drive arena token invented items down and therefore severely reduce profit from the arena. And that did in turn reduce activity in the arena. I still remember winning an Icon of Styx and being so happy knowing I just made 100 dots. But I don't necessarily see that change as a bad thing. Makes the gear more affordable for more players to have the sets they want. A few players monopolising markets on sets isn't good for the game. I'm on board with cheaper gear.

The 25% rule is no longer really needed. Agree with epic on this. So many less players now so this rule is very punishing on the bigger guilds. And whilst I understand why it was once there collusion doesn't happen. Even if someone out there is trying it doesn't work. Your competitor in each round is random no matter when you enter the arena. Removal of this rule could boost arena activity in a positive way.

any ideas how to make half the useless moves situationally good?

#10 Josh1404

Josh1404

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 17:17

any ideas how to make half the useless moves situationally good?

Not really. The only ones I don't use or practically never use are lunge, poison and defend.

I wouldn't know what to suggest in terms of changes to make without effecting the balance of the other moves.

#11 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 17:20

Not really. The only ones I don't use or practically never use are lunge, poison and defend.

I wouldn't know what to suggest in terms of changes to make without effecting the balance of the other moves.

There Is a good 5 moves that are never used. It is my hope maybe they could become situationally useful. But like you I cant think of a way.

#12 Josh1404

Josh1404

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 17:23

There Is a good 5 moves that are never used. It is my hope maybe they could become situationally useful. But like you I cant think of a way.

Any change made will directly effect the way every other move is used. Making a change on any 1 move has a big impact on the arena. I have no clue at all how to go about it.

Edited by Josh1404, 11 January 2019 - 17:54.

#13 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 16:43

Some good QoL in arena would beable to see the set you entered with or atleast the stats.

#14 Alisa

Alisa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:59

I just noticed this in my logs...

It finally happened! I got him!! Well that's
my 2019 accomplishment! 13:16 13/Jan/2019 You were victorious over Josh1404 in PvP Tournament #842185

The throne is now mine!

sigma_468x60.jpg

#15 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 January 2019 - 15:24

Issue #1 - arena only has like 8 regulars... 16 person tourneys NEVER START and it takes a century for regular ones. What caused this down fall? Alot of things mostly arena tokens. Worst idea ever to do with arena.

I don't mind the tokens that much. I do think it was a bad implementation overall but it's nice to receive a rewards for being runner up or making it to the semis. What I would like to see is a new batch of items/potions (perhaps with some of the new 'proposed' buffs that have yet to be added) to be arena rewards that can't be bought with tokens. At least that way they'll retain actual value and won't be mass bought by arena token hoarders.

Issue #2 - arena previously used to have a range of 1-1200 and you have changed it to accompany 1-4000+ and have kept the amount of arenas spawned to about 50. Thus we dont often get a good spread of arenas in alot of ranges.

Agreed. I don't enter really any arenas below level 1000 because there simply aren't enough of them to buy sets for.

Issue #3 - alot of the moves are boring and pointless. Enough said there

Tough one. I mean the moves have been around years. Not really sure what the solution to this one is. New moves? They can be pretty tough to come up with.

Issue #4 - The risk to reward in arena is terrible. With the update to arena your pretty much guaranteed to hardly make a profit.

I mean not everything has to be about making a profit. I like the arena because I like seeing my win count go up (however slow that may be lol). Although what I will say is that it was pretty exhilarating winning an item that was worth 50+ fsp at the time. It would be nice to see something like this again (refer to the first point above).

Issue #5 - games getting smaller and people are cramming into few guilds. The 25% guild member rule is inhibiting arena starting speed. Isnt arena a solo activity?

Agreed. This came up in a separate thread altogether, but yes yes yes get rid of it, or at least increase it to 50%. Only a select few people actually play the arena nowadays and it discourages new players to start when they can't actually join any because their guildmates have already filled up the quota. Forget about the 'abuse' argument - it simply doesn't happen and anyone who actually plays in the arena knows this.

But yeah, great post. Hopefully something gets done about this. Although with most of the attention being spent on this... app... I can't see this being a priority  :(

#16 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 26 January 2019 - 21:12

I just noticed this in my logs...

It finally happened! I got him!! Well that's
my 2019 accomplishment! 13:16 13/Jan/2019 You were victorious over Josh1404 in PvP Tournament #842185

The throne is now mine!

2d077d49d35eff6873027ccfd959c84c.png

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#17 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:20

To be honest, for 80-90% of players, nothing can be added to entice people to play arena. Arena has always been a select few do it and are successful at it. The rest pay the entrance fee and rage haha. Been playing since 2009 and its one of the few medals I don't have and its not due to a lack of trying.

Edited by Windbattle, 19 February 2019 - 04:21.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: