Photo

Choices and factions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dalvin

Dalvin

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:32

First off, hello all, yes I'm new, however I've been looking at this game for a little while now.

I"m going to start off with a few things that get me interested in certain games over others, so you get a bit of a feel of what I like and don't like.

I've played many games over the course of my 20+ years and it's gotten to the point that I need some kind of choices in game to feel i'm making a bit of difference. It gets bland if i'm force to save this town because i'm the hero. This is where choices come in, I'd like the idea of being able to become the enemy or side with them, or at least act mean to a person (NPCs of course, not actual people, i'm always nice to nice people)

The choices i tend to like the most are those simple black and white choices, as gimmicky as it is, they tend to have a greater draw, then games with those grey choices.

Now I saw in the trailer put up that there are these stone devices which hold the elements and one of them flew off to the bottom right and the trailer stated would you help defend the realm or send it further into corruption (or something similar, been a while since i've seen the trailer)

I also noticed the line your choices will have an affect on the future in the feature list.

Now i was wondering if it was possible to go into a little more detail on how this would play out in game and exactly how much I can change either of my character or the world, or what kind of factions are out there for the player to join and how those work.

Thanks,
Dalvin

#2 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 November 2012 - 13:39

Indeed, the trailer mentions that players can help the Kingdom or be corrupted by the power of the Spheres.
But I read that as "are you a successful adventurer <help the Kingdom> or will you fail <be corrupted by the power of the Spheres>" and not as a sort of choice. Though it would be a very interesting aspect of the game.

I haven't heard anything about being able to choose which side you're on. My best guess is that the main goal for all players is the same (help the Kingdom), but that the end justifies the means so if you feel that things like necromancy, torture, thieving, murder and assassinations are the best way to help the Kingdom then you're free to do so.

If it's not already in the game then I wonder if there is enough time to have multiple factions (with different story and quest paths). But maybe they will release the first 30 levels where you have to help the Kingdom (it mainly takes place in the middle of the Kingdom within the Nature Sphere if I'm not mistaking), and then add more levels after that where you can choose to align yourself/get corrupted with a Sphere. ;)

Usually I'm not the one who'd align myself with evil/death, so to me a single faction in the very beginning is not a problem. But I often want to choose a less common faction.
Playing as an Ice Paladin who'd focus on anti-Fire and sometimes helps Light or Blood would be fun. Or a Nature Ranger that acknowledges the importance of Light, Dark, Fire and Ice as important to Nature, but hates the Blood creatures and actively hunts them (as well as too extreme creatures from the other spheres; for example a bit of death is good to Nature but never too much). B)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#3 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:59

The idea when we made the animated trailer (wow, that was a long time ago now!) was that the player would start off in Eldevin Kingdom with everyone else. The entirety of this first release counts on the idea that you are under the service of the Eldevin Army or the Arcane Council. What the trailer refers to is that we had planned to give you more start points as we release more content. I don't know if this is or isn't still the case, we're pretty focused on release of the main game for the moment.

There's no faction choices at the moment in the way you mean. For example, I can't decide I'm going to run off and fight for the holder of the Dark Sphere. Nature all the way! :D

That being said, there are several factions in the game that you will be able to earn reputation with and will reward you for helping them out by giving you access to things like unique equipment, pets, or other bonuses.

There might be more scope for actually joining different factions as we progress into updates and content past our initial release, however it's not something we've discussed just yet.

Hope that helps! If not, just fire away with more questions. :)

#4 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:32

I don't think it's a problem if there aren't any factions in the first release.
But I guess a lot of players would like it if there will be some in the future. People just really like to play as certain characters and would like to have the game support that with factions, quests, etc. :)

It's probably quite some work to add them, but I imagine that new factions can use many of already existing features and graphics (they may use partly the same items, the same cities, the same realms), but will have different quests with perhaps some new creatures and other things.

But I guess it will or won't come up when the game is being Beta tested. ;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#5 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:33

I think it's definitely something we'll have as we introduce the other 5 "zones" into the game. Like Anakiro mentioned, the first 40 levels is purely focused on finding you're feet serving under Eldevin (nature sphere) against the impending attacks from the Infernal Empire (dark sphere). We've always had the idea of leaning towards the other main factions after that. It's still very much up for debate in our future planning meetings.

If you have any ideas that you think might work well feel free to let us know. We'll be going into that topic with open minds.
Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: