#1 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:36

Hello everyone,

It's been ages since I last posted. Looking at the boards it seems the energy has gone out of the place.

In the roadmap thread some posts by Toreth and others caught my eye. I also saw something in the locked PvP crystal thread I was unaware of.

Quick question then a suggestion I have made before, but maybe could do with being revisited. 

Did I read correctly in Wazzimoto's closed crystal league thread that the PvP Seasons code has been lost? I was going to suggest giving that a second go, as the code should be right there to implement. Grim said

"If you mean the old ranked PvP system we tried to implement, we've stated several times we no longer have the code."

Now, is that the seasons code, or one of the other ladder tweaks lost in the mists of time? I think it would be good to know for sure as I think the seasons now would be a very popular thing to see return, without the initial crazy smash fest, and as an event to opt in to with a decent amount of advanced warning so folk can prepare to participate.

So: just for clarification: has the PvP seasons code been lost completely?

My suggestion: many people say EoC hunting has become very rote. How hard would it be to code levels where certain buffs do not work? (Not ALL of them - unless the designers want to put a TON of thought into the stats of the enemies involved.) But for instance an enemy monster has high attack - flinch does not work. Random high arm/Hp enemies, smashing hammer does not work. Could that be done with a minimum of fuss? We have dark realms that require vision, why not chaotic magic realms where certain buffs that make hunting easier (DC, KE, Flinch, SH, CoAt, Codef, NMV, SW, AB etc.) are disabled? I would argue against the basic stat boosting buffs like Rage, Fury, Evade, Rock skin etc. but they could be included if folk liked the idea.

We already have the Soulless Enhancement that pretty much nerfs wither. So the mechanic could either be specific enhancements on creatures that neutralize some buffs, or, as I would prefer, a level specific toggle in the code that stops the buff working on that level - so it can remain active and be available for the next level/s. But if that is too tricky to manage in terms of code then sure, just switch it off completely and the player would have to recast when the buff can be used again on a higher level. I can hear the howls of protest as high level pot buffs get switched off, but do we want a challenge or not?

And this idea should only be for new levels, not introduced retrospectively.

I think the levels could be introduced with one buff switched off, then, as folk get used to it, combinations to make it harder. Instead of just flinch being switched off when an enemy monster has high attack, shield wall is also removed, etc. etc. Ratchet up difficulty over time.

And I think it would be better not to have runs of levels like that, but a level every say 5 or so with a different buff neutralized. Players say it is rote, let's make the EOC guys work again. The only problem with single levels is players could sublevel past them, which is why having them be obligatory to do via quest locked doors etc would be useful, but that is more work for the design team and I'm trying to keep it simple. So, on second thought maybe it should be 5 level bands of specific nerfs, so sublevelling would be a PITA for the stam economists among us.

Of course, being me, I would like this linked to a story element and/or quest cycle to explain why these levels are harder, but it isn't necessary.  I think of them as the veils in the pattern of Amber - where there is increased resistance to progress. It could be Shadow Lord related, a new incarnation of Xinderoth doing his thing, or a chaotic magic zone as mentioned before, or a new enemy sent to test the adventurers, go crazy. Obviously quest related content does then open the possibility of quest locked doors and narrower bands of obligatory difficult content - but that does mean more development team time, and this is a suggestion that I would hope to not be too hard to implement, hence my being okay without the storyline fluff and quests, though I think they would make the experience far more engaging.

So there you have it folks, a way to make levelling trickier again. What do you think?

Grim/devs: could this be implemented or is buff code/ enhancement coding (if that route was taken)  a nightmare no-one wants to touch?

Thanks.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#2 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • Badge

Posted Today, 12:05

Hey Belaric.

Seasons code is gone, yes. It won't be returning. Sorry.

Creature enhancements that negate buffs could certainly be something we could introduce. The next question is which buffs in particular would be a pain in the bum to negate?

~ Grim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: