15 replies to this topic

#1 021962

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Badge

Posted 02 December 2014 - 14:50

Right now crafting is a tedious process with little too no reward. Other than the set items every five levels or so, the in game rare and heroic drops are always better than the crafted item for the same level.

My suggestion then is: While crafting, give a very low random chance to create a heroic item for that level. Only if one is already in game for the item you are crafting. And a low random chance to craft a rare item. Again only if one is already in game for the item you are crafting.

It just seems wrong to me, to craft hundreds of items. And never actually use any of them, because the random kill drop or quest reward is always better. Even leave out the truly heroic items if you want. Just implement something to reward the craftsman. And yes, you can craft a few nice items every few levels. But usually the set reward trumps any benefit of leaving it equipped for more than a level or two. So as it stands right now you may as well just run the dungeons for gold and relics and purchase your equipment. Rather than spending the time to level crafting. You will make way more gold and have better gear.

• PoX likes this

#2 Kedyn

Kedyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:04

Right now crafting is a tedious process with little too no reward. Other than the set items every five levels or so, the in game rare and heroic drops are always better than the crafted item for the same level.

My suggestion then is: While crafting, give a very low random chance to create a heroic item for that level. Only if one is already in game for the item you are crafting. And a low random chance to craft a rare item. Again only if one is already in game for the item you are crafting.

It just seems wrong to me, to craft hundreds of items. And never actually use any of them, because the random kill drop or quest reward is always better. Even leave out the truly heroic items if you want. Just implement something to reward the craftsman. And yes, you can craft a few nice items every few levels. But usually the set reward trumps any benefit of leaving it equipped for more than a level or two. So as it stands right now you may as well just run the dungeons for gold and relics and purchase your equipment. Rather than spending the time to level crafting. You will make way more gold and have better gear.

That's true. I tried to suggest something earlier in beta that would be a crafting system like a chance to HQ an item (+1 or +2 or something, or a randomly generated addition to the item). It would add some diversity, but ultimately, crafting is usually more of a achievement type goal than anything else. It's a nice to have if you're leveling it, but not necessary when so many others have leveled up to the max. 

#3 Mojawk

Mojawk

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:18

This is a nice suggestion, crafting improvements are certainly something we're going to be looking at in the near future!

John Stewart
Chief Operations Officer

#4 Spirit

Spirit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:18

Personally I pretend that the gear is there for "training" purposes... as how else can you learn to do that profession if you don't practice and practice over and over again. That's how I look at it for now anyways.

It doesn't really make sense to me either, why there are like 3 different sets of gear between heroics. And nt really much need for them, with dungeons like every 5 levels in between as well as quests giving odd gear peices.

And the fact that certain items below your level gives better exp, then the ones at your level.

Edit:

And don't forget that craft able gear sets are pretty much one reason to train the professions and the heroics.

Edited by Spirit, 02 December 2014 - 17:20.

9izzGSr.png Feb. 27th 2015 - First level 45 :)

#5 ShadowBane

ShadowBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:56

On this note, and to add what Spirit said, the xp for each item needs to be looked at, as it isn't linear at the moment.

When I was leveling my professions I used a spreadsheet to calculate the best xp per resource used because of this imbalance.

An example would be a level 34 item gives better xp (for resources) than a level 39 item

#6 ernzor

ernzor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 02 December 2014 - 19:10

I still think all crafted gear should have random stats. Give each stat s range, and a total overall stat range. Then we might start seeing some different items being used with some unique rolls.

Naked pirate will be back!

When lvl 50 is here

#7 ShadowBane

ShadowBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 19:58

i don't really like that idea ernzor, unless it was quite a small range, with the possibility of the OP idea thrown in.

#8 Kedyn

Kedyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 02 December 2014 - 20:57

I still think all crafted gear should have random stats. Give each stat s range, and a total overall stat range. Then we might start seeing some different items being used with some unique rolls.

I do like this idea - you can then start playing around with more builds.. tank/prophet.. warrior with some healing abilities.. etc.. seems like a great new way to make some interesting equipment that can be switched in and out in a quick pinch. However - I think to create the randomized stat equipment, maybe the cost should be a little more as you're looking at that point to change up the norm. Personally, if I wanted to create an item based on normal stats, and come up with something completely different, I'd be pretty mad lol.

#9 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 21:07

i like this but add in a like a +0.1% (can be higher but should be pretty low) of getting a x10 multiplier on one of the stats rolled...

so say there was an item the range was 20-50  you got the random 32 and the multiplier triggered so get 320 for that stat :) 

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#10 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 21:09

I do like this idea - you can then start playing around with more builds.. tank/prophet.. warrior with some healing abilities.. etc.. seems like a great new way to make some interesting equipment that can be switched in and out in a quick pinch. However - I think to create the randomized stat equipment, maybe the cost should be a little more as you're looking at that point to change up the norm. Personally, if I wanted to create an item based on normal stats, and come up with something completely different, I'd be pretty mad lol.

i would say have all recipe's random like ern's suggestion but have an OPTIONAL mat able to be used to create it as just a basic item but give more exp for such... 

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#11 ShadowBane

ShadowBane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 21:17

i would say have all recipe's random like ern's suggestion but have an OPTIONAL mat able to be used to create it as just a basic item but give more exp for such... 

Or the other way round would make more sense. A new recipe that requires a new special item to make hybrid weaps with random rolls

#12 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 21:27

Or the other way round would make more sense. A new recipe that requires a new special item to make hybrid weaps with random rolls

personaly i think more randomization = more veriety so the standard recipe's being random would be better imo... 

also to me just creating basic items it's more likely to have veriations/randomness in it.. but add a specialized mat into it and can get more specialized (preset basic stats) gear. 

but i supose either way works. 

#13 ernzor

ernzor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 03 December 2014 - 00:29

I wasnt proposing hybrid weps with my idea, but random rolls on the existing stats.

So for example.

Gothic Blade.

Craftable lvl 45 Heroic 2H Blade

Stats:

+ 37Vit

+ 73 Melee

+ 73 Focus

is 183 total points.

With random rolls on these stats you could get things like

+ 10 Vit

+ 150 Melee

+ 23 Focus

Also, I do like the idea of your very random chance bonus stats awol. Not sure of that HUGE increase though, may be a bit overpowered.

Naked pirate will be back!

When lvl 50 is here

#14 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 00:33

I wasnt proposing hybrid weps with my idea, but random rolls on the existing stats.

So for example.

Gothic Blade.

Stats:

+ 37Vit

+ 73 Melee

+ 73 Focus

is 183 total points.

+ 10 Vit

+ 150 Melee

+ 23 Focus

Also, I do like the idea of your very random chance bonus stats awol. Not sure of that HUGE increase though, may be a bit overpowered.

yeah i thought that's what you meant but after someone else went with hybrid i thought maybe i was wrong haha

also yeah that much would get nutty... like per your example a x10 on the 23 focus wouldn't be HORRIBLE but on that 140 melee it certainly would lol but was just an example and could be adjusted :)

also i still think the idea of having a specialized mat to force the crafted item to be the basic normal item it currently would be and have an exp boost for it.

#15 SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:26

Personally, I'd be a bit leery about crafting anything if it had random rolls (with a high margin like the 73-150 example) due to the initial mess of Diablo 3's randomized rolls on gear and all the "junk" gear that people would get as a result of it. I wouldn't want to run the same dungeon xxxx times to get the remnants I need and then craft a "stronger" item...and it's got worse stats than the incomplete dungeon set or something I'm wearing 2-3 levels below the item level I crafted.

It would also hurt those people who craft items for others (using the buyer's mats) if it turned out to be useless for the buyer.

Tacking on my own suggestion as well (using parts of the previous example)

Gothic Blade.

Base Stats:

+ 40Vit

+ 70 Melee*

+ 70 Focus*

*Randomized when crafting, +/- 15 points

+ 40 Vit

+ 85 Melee

+ 85 Focus

+40 Vit

+55 Melee

+55 Focus

+40 Vit

+71 Melee

+69 Focus

etc

#16 FrancisKinz

FrancisKinz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:16

+1 with the Topic :)

+1 to random rolls during the craft !!! (no items in shop for that or it will kill anything in that game)

+1 to random heroic / rare .. crafts results

+1 to cumulation of both randomly !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: