10 replies to this topic

#1 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:07

Does anyone use these anymore, outside of special events? 

The reason I ask, I needed a Deathly mold component for a caged imp pot. None in the AH, so I figured I'd grab a few in the caves. 

Long story short...I used 10 million gold before I finally got one. That's an expensive Imp pot. 

Also, with everything I got in something like 500 chances, if they all sell, I'll recoup about 10 FSP's. Hardly worth the effort, I'd say.

So, are the caves that bad, am I doing something wrong (most likely answer, since I'm not exactly a whiz), or is it only beneficial to venture into the caves during events? 

#2 EvilRisen

EvilRisen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:26

with caves from when i used it, there had to be a rough idea of gold being spent in a certain cave to get an item/potion that you were looking for from a specific creature  Ex. your Deathly Mold is dropped by Brotherhood Crusader and you need to spend 20,000 gold to have a chance to encounter this creature, dont get me wrong the chances aren't guaranteed. (not sure if you knew this or not) just trying to help

but me personally to get back on track with this post. no i do not but i know many who use it.

Edited by evilrisen, 06 July 2016 - 07:29.

#3 eagleeyezz

eagleeyezz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:56

the caves usually get used while a LE event is on, i dont think we have had one for a while and i have noticed an increase on some cave pots, UB EW etc... but yea as you say it aint worth scavenging unless there is an event on.

#4 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:05

The caves have more and more added to 'em, diminishing the chances of even FINDING a target creature, let alone actually getting a drop from it if you're lucky enough to find it.

Many suggestions have been made to improve the caves and, guess what, nothing has happened :)

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#5 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:18

A good addition to them would be some sort of "Do not engage" list. I only wanted to kill the brotherhood dude, so I dropped 20K a roll x 50 for each million I used. I probably got him 4 times out of each set of 50.

Maybe set it up so you can pass other critters by, for a nominal fee of course. Perhaps 500 - 1K gold to bypass every target you don't want to engage with, increasing the odds of maximizing your attempts at the ones you do. I'd even suggest lowering the drop rates a touch, that way it's not crazy easy, but still not so difficult to get what you're aiming for. 

#6 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 16:33

It's an interesting topic.

Yeah, spending 10 million for a 2 FSP was probably not that great an idea for you. But, and sorry, I love the gold sink.

I think that's the base thought:

Ease of acquisition would cut down on gold sink and profit for players. It's odd that those two go together.

3JS... from what I remember, people would cut out all buffs except the essentials, use reckoning, FI, 4L (in some cases) and I'd assume nowadays LL.

You're pretty high up there, so, just guessing, you can probably find a setup that beats the mob you're looking for with minimal buffs.

Hope that might help.

#7 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2016 - 22:18

My suggestion was something akin to

1. Create a 3rd cave, where the "specials" go - i.e. the LE's and special pots etc

2. Create some form of "option scale" where, the more you pay / scavenge, the higher the odds of actually finding your target creature are.

3. LOWER the drop rate slightly for those creatures (to compensate for the easier location).

This, I think, addresses the "easier to find and thus more profit" argument AND it would please, I think, players because they actually SEE the critter they want more frequently.

There's nothing more frustrating, when scavenging (personally speaking) than spending loads of gold and only seeing the target critter 1-2% of the time, let alone getting a drop.

• 3JS likes this

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#8 Morgwyn

Morgwyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:57

It can still be viable to enter the caves. If you want something specific, then buff up accordingly.

In your case you wanted the mold only, thus only use reckoning and resource finder and NOT FI or QF. Using those along with RF will lower your chances to get a resource. (the RF roll comes in last and only if FI/QF fail)

#9 michael65

michael65

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 18:08

It can still be viable to enter the caves. If you want something specific, then buff up accordingly.

In your case you wanted the mold only, thus only use reckoning and resource finder and NOT FI or QF. Using those along with RF will lower your chances to get a resource. (the RF roll comes in last and only if FI/QF fail)

+1

As to OP,  check AH for what you are looking for and save search criteria.  Dojo Dummiies, FI-800, and Doubler 750 all come from scavenging. The AH is filled with these items. Add to this the potions requiring drops from caves. Then the AH suggest many are using scavenging.

Another option, get one of the desirable drop item (EW-1500) and trade with AH potion seller (requires trust) to get potion you desire. Where to find seller? search AH for potion desired, click on seller's name, and pm seller. See if seller is open to a deal. Try another seller.

not sure name of potion? search FS WIKI, using close name or name of buff can find potion WIKI page. There should be a search Auction House (AH) feature - can be used to find recipe item in AH.

#10 Uncle Beg

Uncle Beg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 13:39

Treasure that potion! j/k

I use the caves to look for potions too.

Sometime, I get 1-3 UB190 per 1 million gold.

It's a gold sink.

• 3JS likes this

#11 hades8840

hades8840

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 14:04

The caves were once a good idea, you could break even. might even profit a little.

the main problem is there is so much rubbish in there now .

you can make alot of potions from some of the rubbish ..but apart from that you still get diluted down with a ton of crap..

the only thing that takes the edge off is the now and then a LE in there but even then ,that doesn't always  as the sets are now worthless so most wait for when the flasks come into the game then try..

i used to drop 100 mill gold in there most weeks but i stopped doing that long ago as they put more and more rubbish in there diluting the % on drops

Edited by hades8840, 12 July 2016 - 15:06.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: