cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:45

Remember that using out-dated software or plugins can be a security issue.

For example, in the release notes for Greasemonkey 2.0 (the one you guys are downgrading from), it says: 

"For stability, reliability, and security the privileged sandbox has been updated to match the new changes to unsafeWindow for the Add-on SDK."

Looking at the rest of the release notes, this is specifically why the FSH isn't working with GM 2.0 ("these changes will break some scripts. These scripts will need to be updated to work correctly again.").

#22 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02

Remember that using out-dated software or plugins can be a security issue.

For example, in the release notes for Greasemonkey 2.0 (the one you guys are downgrading from), it says: 

"For stability, reliability, and security the privileged sandbox has been updated to match the new changes to unsafeWindow for the Add-on SDK."

Looking at the rest of the release notes, this is specifically why the FSH isn't working with GM 2.0 ("these changes will break some scripts. These scripts will need to be updated to work correctly again.").

So, We can blame the cows? :D

#23 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:33

I downloaded greasemonkey 1.15 from this link ..  Hope this helps

https://addons.mozil...onkey/versions/

thanks - I was struggling to get mozilla to find anything other than version 2

#24 bloody18

bloody18

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:49

thanks - I was struggling to get mozilla to find anything other than version 2

YW! If it werent for PointyHair's post Id still be running in circles :)

#25 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:10

Serious questions for those who are tweaking their browser addon settings to retain helper functionality.

- What will you do, if your computer gets compromised due to a security breach which the later version of the Greasemonkey addon fixes?

- what if this results in the loss of important documents?

- Who will you blame?

- What if it costs you a couple hundred dollars or more to just get the computer running again?

- who covers those costs?

There's so much blind trust that what you do to keep a third party script running, will be safe. You are putting yourself and any others who may use your computer at risk by doing so.

As Yuuzhan has been running Helper, I would strongly suggest people encourage him to update the code to be compliant with Greasemonkey 2.0.

Either that or encourage the cows to implement the features of helper so it's no longer required and thus a risk for those using it.

Edited by evilbry, 12 July 2014 - 11:15.

#26 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 13:37

I am going to miss the guild inventory function. A LOT. But this morning FSH which has been getting twitchier, quit pretty much altogether on me.

I'm not going to go old school on greasemonkey.

To me this is becoming part of the game's genteel decay. I can live with it, but it is sad to see happening.

bry gives good advice. I'm not particularly prepared to risk my wider security for the sake of an old script that needs updating anyway. Should Yuuzhan choose to put the work in and fix it - awesome.

We have for a long time owed the creators of FSH  a huge debt. Now I think more of us will realise how big that debt is/was.

Did I say how awesome Guild inventory was? Losing it blows.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#27 dowuones

dowuones

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 14:00

The sad truth is that we keep loosing FSH features and they are not implemented in game.  And for all those who use it, every time a feature is lost, a piece of FS is lost. Guild inventory is one the most important (honestly i cant survive without it :lol:), but there are many others. Everyone has his own FSH preferred feature, losing it means enjoying the game less. Thats to me what FSH is It has become so much part of the game that losing functions is losing an important part of the game. Its like all of a sudden Arena or Caves disappeared. They are part of the game, without them the whole game downgrades.

#28 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 14:13

So, We can blame the cows? :D

I will only blame the cows for not stepping up and implementing all the great ideas the Helper has/had. This should be on the TOP of their roadmap list!

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#29 lapdragon

lapdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 19:19

THANK you everyone....i just logged on to find my FSHELPER gone.....so i did what you all said to do...and happy to say im back in the groove of it again LOL.....i agree....many of the adds are beneficial to us all...and yes..I personally think many will find their time at FS much more enjoyable if certain things were added from the FSHELPER.  Way i look at it...id rather use a lighter to light a fire...then rubbing sticks together.....lol

#30 PointyHair

PointyHair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:18

What will you do, if your computer gets compromised due to a security breach which the later version of the Greasemonkey addon fixes?

While I very much doubt that this question is aimed at me, I thought I'd just mention that it's up to each individual user to determine what level of security they are personally comfortable with. I believe it is your duty to fully understand the criteria and consequences of any configuration.

You have backups right? You do test restores regularly right? You use multiple security systems to provide defense in depth right?

The recent change to the security model in Greasemonkey moves them to a "secure by default" model which is to be encouraged and I would expect FSH to be updated in short order. Until now the API has been open and I'm unaware of any exploits currently available. That is not to say that they don't exist.

Greasemonkey is reasonably well sandboxed in the first place. Firefox leaves something to be desired in this regard. If you are particularly concerned with browser security you would be better off using Chrome/Tampermonkey. Addons such as ABP, LastPass and NoScript can help to mitigate your exposure.

Risk is a part of life. The better you understand risk, the more fun you can have :P

#31 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 19:58

Risk is a part of life. The better you understand risk, the more fun you can have :P

I thought you were speaking of PvP in the game for a minute.

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#32 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 22:20

I tend to agree that it is probably time we start looking at implementing the most popular features from FSH :)

I seem to remember we put up a poll _ages_ ago as to what was the top 'x' feature people would like to see implemented, however it's most likely out of date now. 

I've posted up a thread about it here:

http://forums.hunted...showtopic=66096

Cheers,

Hoof

#33 lapdragon

lapdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:46

thank you HOOF, sadly i logged in again today to find my FSHELPER gone......again.  im glad you are all looking to implement some of the features....it truly makes the game a bit better......i know you all have alot of work...those pesky levelers reaching EOC so fast LOL...JUST PLAYING!!  i will still play FS with out this help, and if you do decide to put three in, im sure that they will be the best three, then MAYBE three more after that LMAO!!  have a great day!

#34 bloody18

bloody18

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 22:28

thank you HOOF, sadly i logged in again today to find my FSHELPER gone......again.  im glad you are all looking to implement some of the features....it truly makes the game a bit better......i know you all have alot of work...those pesky levelers reaching EOC so fast LOL...JUST PLAYING!!  i will still play FS with out this help, and if you do decide to put three in, im sure that they will be the best three, then MAYBE three more after that LMAO!!  have a great day!

"IF" you are using greasmonkey ( and downgraded for the sake of FSH) you will need to have automatic updates turned off . I only use greasemonkey when I play FS. And click the MONKEY on and off depending on my need for FSH. ..and again this is only a FIX if you are using Firefox and GM w/ FSH :) SO you would have to downgrade again and turn auto updates off on GM.

If you back track on this forum post .. I did a HOW TO on how to do this :)

Edited by bloody18, 14 July 2014 - 22:34.

#35 Placeboo

Placeboo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:35

is there a way to prevent v1.15 to not auto upgrade? that appears to be what is happening

#36 bloody18

bloody18

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:42

is there a way to prevent v1.15 to not auto upgrade? that appears to be what is happeningto not

Turn off auto updates on greasemonkey.. to do  this.. On firefox after you have installed the GM version you wish to use.

CLICK TOOLS , then ADDONS, scroll down to the greasemonkey addon ..WHERE IT SAYS "MORE"( in blue) click that ..and then SET updates to OFF  :) this will take care of that :)

Edited by bloody18, 15 July 2014 - 05:43.

#37 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:05

Serious questions for those who are tweaking their browser addon settings to retain helper functionality.

- What will you do, if your computer gets compromised due to a security breach which the later version of the Greasemonkey addon fixes?

- what if this results in the loss of important documents?

- Who will you blame?

- What if it costs you a couple hundred dollars or more to just get the computer running again?

- who covers those costs?

There's so much blind trust that what you do to keep a third party script running, will be safe. You are putting yourself and any others who may use your computer at risk by doing so.

As Yuuzhan has been running Helper, I would strongly suggest people encourage him to update the code to be compliant with Greasemonkey 2.0.

Either that or encourage the cows to implement the features of helper so it's no longer required and thus a risk for those using it.

wonder when people are going to start blaming HCS.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No issues with my helper.

So as you Say your Version is working perfectly, so that would imply that yours does not need Yuuzhan to Upgrade it So why dont you share yours with everyone?

Edited by katatonic, 18 July 2014 - 10:07.

#38 sohail94

sohail94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:23

So as you Say your Version is working perfectly, so that would imply that yours does not need Yuuzhan to Upgrade it So why dont you share yours with everyone?

Google chrome / tampermonkey has no issues, the issue is with anyone using Firefox and Greasemonkey.

#39 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 18 July 2014 - 13:25

Just letting you guys know that I will be doing a post about FSH within the next few days.

#40 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 17:23

Google chrome / tampermonkey has no issues, the issue is with anyone using Firefox and Greasemonkey.

Really darn wonder why mine is not working then 100% fine...

Edited by BigGrim, 22 July 2014 - 12:55.
No swearing, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: