Photo

Ranger build -- shield or no shield?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:55

So far I've been running around with a knife and a shield, but I started to wonder if it could be more effective to equip a knife in my off-hand slot as well? I'm not too savvy on how all the stats and numbers work, so. :/ Advice?

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#2 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:47

From beta, keep both a shield and a second knife with you.

The shield is immensely useful for survival solo.  The little bit extra DPS from a second knife was no where near worth it.

In groups where you have a tank to hold aggro switch out the shield and equip the second knife.

(IMO, this makes both shield and a second knife a 'need' roll.)

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#3 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:24

Hmm, yeah, I was thinking about having both of them with me, but I guess I'll keep the shield on me when just running around. Thanks.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#4 Sage

Sage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:34

Shield is very useful definitely even though it is melee based.  I wear both my ranger knifes most of the time, but if I find something to attack that has high defense, I put on shield.  It's saved my life and lowers use of potions greatly.

Gathering:   Crystal Cutting 44 - Farming 32 - Fishing 49 - Foraging 49 - Forestry 49 - Prospecting 49 - Skinning 49

Crafting:   Alchemy 49 - Armorsmithing 1 - Cooking 49 - Jewelry 1 - Leatherworking 12 - Tailoring 1 - Weaponsmithing 1

#5 Loaf

Loaf

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:04

From beta, keep both a shield and a second knife with you.

The shield is immensely useful for survival solo.  The little bit extra DPS from a second knife was no where near worth it.

In groups where you have a tank to hold aggro switch out the shield and equip the second knife.

(IMO, this makes both shield and a second knife a 'need' roll.)

This is great advice except for that last part.  If you take a shield that my tank needs don't expect another invite =)

If you have a spare minute, please rate Eldevin at mmorpg.com

#6 Dillias

Dillias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:31

This is great advice except for that last part.  If you take a shield that my tank needs don't expect another invite =)

You would say something like this hahahahahhaahahahha :')

Selling friendship, 50 ep per hour.

GET IN FAST

#7 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2013 - 19:16

Agreed, and I should have mentioned this myself.  Thank you for this reminder.

In beta I always checked with any templars or templar hybrids before needing a shield, since I didn't need it 'for the group'.  But if they turned it down/were silent/selected 'greed', and it was better then the one in my BP, I would need over players looking to take it for alts/cash.

I also did the same for the second knife if there was another ranger.  Make sure they have a 'first knife' before I need for a second.

Another additonal thought.  All rangers should take the templar talent Righteous Defense for when they are using a shield.

Edited by Irradiated, 22 December 2013 - 19:21.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#8 Orlac

Orlac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:13

If you're in a group with a Templar tank then your need for shield drops is non existent.

Orlac

Templar

Alchemist

Forager

Sexy

#9 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:46

Another additonal thought.  All rangers should take the templar talent Righteous Defense for when they are using a shield.

Should, really? :/ I think I'd rather spend all the points in one tree, unless a talent from another tree is like really really really useful.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#10 Orlac

Orlac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 December 2013 - 18:10

Righteous Defense is a skill to be bought

Orlac

Templar

Alchemist

Forager

Sexy

#11 Hiddie

Hiddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 December 2013 - 19:18

I'm doing fine with two knifes.

This world can't handle me.

#12 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 December 2013 - 19:36

Righteous Defense is a skill to be bought

Oh, a scroll?

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#13 Orlac

Orlac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 December 2013 - 00:12

Yep.

Orlac

Templar

Alchemist

Forager

Sexy

#14 Torval

Torval

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:05

I'm doing fine with two knifes.

I have a sword and axe at the moment. Is there an advantage to two knives instead of swords or other weapons? I've thought of taking assassin skills to augment the ranged stuff when melee mobs get in close. But then I'm not that high level yet so maybe this is a bad direction.

Yep.

Do you mix it up with Templar skills, or just this one, for better solo work? I can almost solo the prison dungeon except for the last boss who kicks my butt in fairly short order. I'm still collecting the purple gear from the vendor outside the jail.

If anyone can point to a more generic ranger build discussion please post the link. I don't want to totally hijack the thread, but I'm interested in build options and experimenting.

#15 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:28

Once again, all my responses are based on my experience during beta, not release.

I have a sword and axe at the moment. Is there an advantage to two knives instead of swords or other weapons? I've thought of taking assassin skills to augment the ranged stuff when melee mobs get in close. But then I'm not that high level yet so maybe this is a bad direction.

The only advantage to knives it the +ranged stat on many of them.  Melee damage is unimportant, the melee weapons are purely 'stat sticks'.

IMO, the only assassin talent worth considering is dual-wield mastery, as it increases ranged AP.  Don't plan on using melee.  The bow has no minimum range, and if you split your attributes between ranged and melee neither provide enough DPS.  There's no benefit to switching to melee up close.

Do you mix it up with Templar skills, or just this one, for better solo work? I can almost solo the prison dungeon except for the last boss who kicks my butt in fairly short order. I'm still collecting the purple gear from the vendor outside the jail.

Only take the one Templar spell.  Again, for the same reasons, you can't split attribute points between ranged and melee.  Even going heavy gear will lose too much DPS.

If anyone can point to a more generic ranger build discussion please post the link. I don't want to totally hijack the thread, but I'm interested in build options and experimenting.

Being such a new game there isn't much yet.  I'm hoping to post my planned build for feedback.  But with the holidays I'm not sure when I'll get to it.  There were a few discussions during beta, you can try searching the forums.

Edited by Irradiated, 25 December 2013 - 03:29.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#16 Lucan

Lucan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:11

I use no shield and use 2 1h weapons with a range bonus but it's better to use a shield for survivability purposes

#17 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:00

What Irradiated said, basically.

If you want to experiment then do what you want. If you want to be as effective in killing and surviving as you possibly could be, then do what's tried and tested.

If you chose to be a ranger then: only use ranged attacks, only equip items with +Ranged points, spend all your talent points in the Ranger tree, don't spend any attribute points on Sorcery or Melee.

If an enemy is standing right in your face, continue to use ranged attacks til they die. If it looks like it will take some time, run away from them by a little, then turn around again and continue attacking. (Or just run away very far if it looks like they're not dying any time soon.  :lol: Rangers have the Fleetfoot ability in their talent tree, it will slightly increase movement speed.) Basically, don't switch to melee, try to keep your distance instead. (Though of course plenty of creatures can attack from a distance too.)

About items:

in the beginning levels you're probably running around with whatever equipment you got from quest rewards or whatever else is affordable and available, and that's fine, but you should seek to gradually replace them with most effective equipment. I held axes in my main hand slot for quite a while, though they don't give +ranged points like knives do.

And some amulets, charms, and rings I got or found gave Melee or Sorcery points but it was better than nothing so I equipped them. Now my amulet and charm give Vitality, Focus, and Energy, and two rings both give Vitality, Ranged and Energy.

There aren't any shields that give Ranged (or Sorcery) points, only Melee, so your shield will be an exception.

EDIT: Don't throw away your last axe, you'll need it for chopping trees.  :lol:

Edited by Akadria, 25 December 2013 - 06:05.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: