56 replies to this topic

#41 yghorbeviahn

yghorbeviahn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:28

I really HATE levelling, that's the thing I do when I can't hunt titans, or have nothing to smash, levelling is so boring, the only reason for levelling is: Get new buffs, hunt new titans, join more arenas, get more PvP gear, and when I have no time to do those things and need to burn my stamina.

And btw, I was out of the game for almost 3 years, I've joined TED at lvl 451, hunted until lvl 720 and did a epic hunt to lvl 1078, now I'm level 1186 (1189 after my hunt today), and I have never donated any real money on the game, and still without my Guild Loyalty Ruby (so less than 2 years since lvl 451), 738 in less than 2 years, doing a LOT of PvP and Titans...EOc is really not that far away.

btw, I REALLY hate the XP Rate between lvl 1000 and 1220, that's killing me xD

#42 Morgwyn

Morgwyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 21:08

Exactly... having helped come up with the guild tagging concept, I can say it has done nothing but help Fallen Sword, especially for the player with a very thin wallet, that has to scrape to get by.  These players are the majority by far, and we should keep that in mind... These are the very players we need to keep,and if it means "free" gear and the rest, then we should do so.  I'm not saying we need an easy button, but I know we all use our dishwashers and microwaves, do we not?  It's just FS technology ;)

it is a part of the solution, if things would be ballanced out. As I pointed out, having proper champion/elite setups, that are huntable urself at any given time. Say simply (and i am not stating that it must be like that, just an example), champion/elite setups let you 3 hit, with the right buffs 2 hit, LE gear with right buffs 1 hit. I think, that if good gear is available in the game, there would not be such a great need for tagging, as gear would be available.

Regular LE events can be held again, and would have meaning again, instead of just a few days of cheap gear dumping on the AH.

#43 Raku

Raku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:47

I really HATE levelling, that's the thing I do when I can't hunt titans, or have nothing to smash, levelling is so boring, the only reason for levelling is: Get new buffs, hunt new titans, join more arenas, get more PvP gear, and when I have no time to do those things and need to burn my stamina.

And btw, I was out of the game for almost 3 years, I've joined TED at lvl 451, hunted until lvl 720 and did a epic hunt to lvl 1078, now I'm level 1186 (1189 after my hunt today), and I have never donated any real money on the game, and still without my Guild Loyalty Ruby (so less than 2 years since lvl 451), 738 in less than 2 years, doing a LOT of PvP and Titans...EOc is really not that far away.

btw, I REALLY hate the XP Rate between lvl 1000 and 1220, that's killing me xD

So lets say another two years for another 810 levels puts you at 2000. Thats not far away? 

4 years for lvl 2000 is quite the amount of time for a new player to put into this game. Plus in another 2-4 years where is eoc going to be 2500? 3000? So even more time has to be put in. Bottom line is more players are going to stay away from this game then are going to stay simply due to this amount of time.  

Exactly... having helped come up with the guild tagging concept, I can say it has done nothing but help Fallen Sword, especially for the player with a very thin wallet, that has to scrape to get by.  These players are the majority by far, and we should keep that in mind... These are the very players we need to keep,and if it means "free" gear and the rest, then we should do so.  I'm not saying we need an easy button, but I know we all use our dishwashers and microwaves, do we not?  It's just FS technology  ;)

So if reducing the amount of time it takes for the "players we need to keep" helps keep said players, then why would you not be for it?

Edited by Raku, 17 September 2014 - 03:57.

#44 Gutie

Gutie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:01

I'm all in favour of trying anything to increase player retention and helping the game to thrive / survive, but I really DON'T think that this is one of the problems.

Without guild-tagging, a LOT of players would have quit even sooner.

How often are there shoutbox / fs-box messages saying "looking for guild to supply me with all gear necessary" or similar ?. A lot (by NO means all - and this is not reflecting that) of new players these days expect EVERYTHING doing for them - "free" gear, "free" buffs and "free" potions - and a lot of guilds are happy to provide them with it so it's a win/win for those players / guilds

But if all players had to provide their own gear - or, at a minimum, have sufficient BP to store their own gear - how many new players would stick around ?

Agreed, sadly the system is due to the massive amount of gear on hand.... it's such that the norm would be that gear can be provided for most aspects. I mean, even with my guild our gear selection used to be our key aspect for joining us until we started rising the rankings.

We'd have to toally reconsider the aspect of how much value you get for donating to the game, that's a very touchy subject and with good reason. Premium currency that can buy anything in a game will make it so. I don't seek to rock the boat there. Just facilitating players to get to the mid point in content in less than a year (like 6 months... not joking) and grind like the rest of us do after that can solve a large issue of player retention, the feeling of actually getting somewhere with things is the main drag. A lot of players feel that way. I felt that way too when I quit in 2010, and that was with almost 1000 less levels to plow through, with nearly the same perks save for the booster code, and FAR more reserve stam payouts to top it off....

Having more minigames would go a long way for enabling those at EOC to have more fun too. Why not work on a team based mingame, and the gladiator arena concept that's been tossed around? Do that, and acellerate the xp rates for lower levels. 

I've also tossed around the idea of an increase the amount that XP Gain gives or some such thing. XP Gain was never adjusted to move up with content when the nerf was locked in at 500. Maybe remove the reduction for xp gain to facilitate the leveling process through 500? That's a thing that require minimal coding....

So lets say another two years for another 810 levels puts you at 2000. Thats not far away? 

4 years for lvl 2000 is quite the amount of time for a new player to put into this game. Plus in another 2-4 years where is eoc going to be 2500? 3000? So even more time has to be put in. Bottom line is more players are going to stay away from this game then are going to stay simply due to this amount of time.  

So if reducing the amount of time it takes for the "players we need to keep" helps keep said players, then why would you not be for it?

Agreed 100%.+1 many times over.

GutieGGtsig_zps678d4c8f.png

Are you active? Enjoy playing FS for fun and striving for lofty goals? Looking to join a guild that invests in itself and seeks to improve and grow in all aspects of the game?

Secret Alliance can be your home in FS! We are looking for active, motivated and driven players who have a passion and genuine enjoyment of FS to join us as we continue to rise towards the TOP! If interested feel free to send me a PM.

SA is also looking for one or two guild mergers INTO SA. Feel free to ask for details.

#45 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:44

EOC - End of Content - getting there quickly or even at all (no wish to be there) is a path chosen by some.  Many of us appreciate the wandering road in between where PVP, Titan Hunting, GvG, Arena, Potion Making, SE Hunting, etc and did I mention PvP :) are enjoyed.  I actually envy you a bit as your level was such a fun PvP level when I was there.

Look around - enjoy the journey enjoying all the by-roads and then you'll truly find why so many of us are still around and why some of us, like myself, wandered away, but couldn't stay away.

I did not look, so pardon me, be sure you're in an active guild that has people more knowledgeable than yourself, and who are enjoying the game's many aspects.

No game is for everyone it's true, but there's a lot here and getting to end of content isn't the most interesting of them in my opinion.

#46 TheD0n

TheD0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:24

The problem I seem to have is that even to get to a decent point in the game seems to take a year or more. That someone can drop a lot of money and time on this game and not get there in 4+ years is a bit weird. I'll stick around a bit just to see what all happens in this game, but I just find that it's a bit jarring to see 2200 levels of content and with all the super stuff I can't even get to 200... which seems to be a month or more away even if I hop online every day to be truthful.

Edited by TheD0n, 20 September 2014 - 04:25.

#47 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:34

The problem I seem to have is that even to get to a decent point in the game seems to take a year or more. That someone can drop a lot of money and time on this game and not get there in 4+ years is a bit weird. I'll stick around a bit just to see what all happens in this game, but I just find that it's a bit jarring to see 2200 levels of content and with all the super stuff I can't even get to 200... which seems to be a month or more away even if I hop online every day to be truthful.

One tip... sitting with max stam and doing nothing will slow your progress. :)

#48 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:47

(from your bio)

I came back to this game on 9/10/14 and was Level 25 With 750 Stamina Points.

(end cut/paste from your bio)

So, in 20 days, you've gained 112 levels and increased your stamina from 750 to 1605 - I, for one, call that pretty good progress.

I still fail to see why reaching the (current) end of the game is such a "hurdle" for players.

New players have :-

1. MUCH better gear available than when us "old-timers" started

2. MUCH better buffs available

3. MUCH easier upgrades to characters without actually having to donate

4. Better "deals" if/when players donate - there were no epic potions and/or 20% offers back in the day

5. The "starter pack" - a MASSIVE boost for VERY little investment

6. A (albeit still not perfect) "training session" to start the game - we were just "thrown in" - took some of us days to figure out that there was more to the game than killing rats and then being demolished by "The Ethereal Guardian" before he was moved

etc. etc. etc.

The game isn't about a mad stampede to get to the end (well, for some it is I suppose) but if you can't, then sit back and enjoy the journey :)

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#49 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:40

I would also like to add that I have seen players from 2013 join date reach 1200 and beyond in a year or less time frame. They used global potions and titan hunted to gain FSP to increase their max stamina (aka in-game means). so very possible to get to a descent level in this game in a short amount of time, if your active / smart. 

#50 Gutie

Gutie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 September 2014 - 21:41

I would also like to add that I have seen players from 2013 join date reach 1200 and beyond in a year or less time frame. They used global potions and titan hunted to gain FSP to increase their max stamina (aka in-game means). so very possible to get to a descent level in this game in a short amount of time, if your active / smart. 

That guy made MASSIVE donations though. I doubt more than a few per year will do that... just reinforces the point here.

GutieGGtsig_zps678d4c8f.png

Are you active? Enjoy playing FS for fun and striving for lofty goals? Looking to join a guild that invests in itself and seeks to improve and grow in all aspects of the game?

Secret Alliance can be your home in FS! We are looking for active, motivated and driven players who have a passion and genuine enjoyment of FS to join us as we continue to rise towards the TOP! If interested feel free to send me a PM.

SA is also looking for one or two guild mergers INTO SA. Feel free to ask for details.

#51 insaner6

insaner6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 17:13

is there a bigger doubler potion coming?!

#52 douglasj

douglasj

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 20:52

There was more to the game than killing rats and then being demolished by "The Ethereal Guardian" 

Dont want to be off topic but that takes me back. When i was a very small level and BOOM level 1 again :'( 

#53 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 21:16

is there a bigger doubler potion coming?!

Give me a break... 1200 from loyalty is quite large enough.....  So... if he gets one of those, I want bigger TH and Merch.... I love the shiny stuff :P

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#54 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:12

I actually like levelling and it's probably my main source of income in the game. However I do agree with the people saying it simply takes TOO long to get to EoC. I know that EoC obviously isn't meant for everyone to achieve but for people who have been playing for 5-6 years (like myself) and are still at or around HALF WAY to EoC, it's a bit of a joke.

I know, I HAVE spent a lot of time either titan hunting, pvping, SE hunting, farming and obviously if it wasn't for that then I wouldn't be still at level 989 lol.

But the problem I have is even at less than halfway to EoC, it takes me about 3700 stamina (with all necessary hunting buffs like distil 50, AL 200+, Lib 239, Stalker 175, Overkill 175 etc.) just to level up once. My stamina gain and XP gain are both maxed. So with my current stamina rate (+107 per hour), I earn 2,568 stamina per 24 hours. That's on average 0.7 levels per day (and yes this is with max stamina and xp upgrades?)

If I was to take this value and calculate (on average) how long it would take for me to reach level 2275 (current EoC), it would take (2275-989) / 0.7 = 1837 days OR just over 5 YEARS.

Bearing in mind, this value above doesn't include LE events, seasonal events which have quests, global events, etc. And I haven't taken double XP events into account or any global epic pots but with with the other events, I think they both cancel each other out (for me anyway as I don't spend money on current stamina for XP events). Also this is providing that I hunt as soon as my stamina hits maximum value.

So another 5 years for me to reach level 2275 it seems. And it's not like I can upgrade my character any further to make this a shorter time. The only thing I can think of it buying current stamina (which is not really an option considering how much it costs for it to be effective). 3,700 stamina for one level is awfully large, don't you think? It's a bit disappointing that even with max upgrades, all necessary buffs, I can't even make one level per 24 hours.

#55 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 15:52

I actually like levelling and it's probably my main source of income in the game. However I do agree with the people saying it simply takes TOO long to get to EoC. I know that EoC obviously isn't meant for everyone to achieve but for people who have been playing for 5-6 years (like myself) and are still at or around HALF WAY to EoC, it's a bit of a joke.

I know, I HAVE spent a lot of time either titan hunting, pvping, SE hunting, farming and obviously if it wasn't for that then I wouldn't be still at level 989 lol.

But the problem I have is even at less than halfway to EoC, it takes me about 3700 stamina (with all necessary hunting buffs like distil 50, AL 200+, Lib 239, Stalker 175, Overkill 175 etc.) just to level up once. My stamina gain and XP gain are both maxed. So with my current stamina rate (+107 per hour), I earn 2,568 stamina per 24 hours. That's on average 0.7 levels per day (and yes this is with max stamina and xp upgrades?)

If I was to take this value and calculate (on average) how long it would take for me to reach level 2275 (current EoC), it would take (2275-989) / 0.7 = 1837 days OR just over 5 YEARS.

Bearing in mind, this value above doesn't include LE events, seasonal events which have quests, global events, etc. And I haven't taken double XP events into account or any global epic pots but with with the other events, I think they both cancel each other out (for me anyway as I don't spend money on current stamina for XP events). Also this is providing that I hunt as soon as my stamina hits maximum value.

So another 5 years for me to reach level 2275 it seems. And it's not like I can upgrade my character any further to make this a shorter time. The only thing I can think of it buying current stamina (which is not really an option considering how much it costs for it to be effective). 3,700 stamina for one level is awfully large, don't you think? It's a bit disappointing that even with max upgrades, all necessary buffs, I can't even make one level per 24 hours.

You must do a LOT of the other activities you mentioned but I still got you beat on titans :). I have dumped a LOT of stam on titans but it was well worth the investment as it has allowed me to upgrade. I started just under 2 years after you did. I have never donated and I'm on good pace to hit eoc. With all the epic pots and more epicer pots coming out as well as the huge drop in epic equipment prices and the very easy GE event pots, it has never been easier to power level.
HCS can't win. Everyone wants to get to eoc ASAP then everyone complains HCS keeps pushing out more content to appease the eoc'rs.

In the big picture of things, the roadmap and new plans for pvp takes a much higher precedence, no?

#56 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 19:19

I have taken the scenic route in leveling, cuz I find it tedious and boring (well, I like quests).  I play a lot of games, and this is the only one with so many massive levels, and such quick leveling.  In other games, I am about average, and EOC levels for these games averages about 75.  Now, few, if any are as old as FS...

Many of those at EOC  have worked for YEARS to get there. Yeah, it takes time to get there.  BUT, there is so much more to this game than leveling.  If you ask me, it's only a means to an end, and doesn't make the game....  

My level does not make me who I am anymore than yours makes you who you are.  Everybody plays differently, and we all feel our way is best.  There is no right or wrong way to play this game.  Just move along at your own pace, and please, for your own sanity, take a moment to smell the flowers every now and then...

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#57 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:23

I have taken the scenic route in leveling, cuz I find it tedious and boring (well, I like quests).  I play a lot of games, and this is the only one with so many massive levels, and such quick leveling.  In other games, I am about average, and EOC levels for these games averages about 75.  Now, few, if any are as old as FS...

Many of those at EOC  have worked for YEARS to get there. Yeah, it takes time to get there.  BUT, there is so much more to this game than leveling.  If you ask me, it's only a means to an end, and doesn't make the game....  

My level does not make me who I am anymore than yours makes you who you are.  Everybody plays differently, and we all feel our way is best.  There is no right or wrong way to play this game.  Just move along at your own pace, and please, for your own sanity, take a moment to smell the flowers every now and then...

Well said.

Cheers.

wil72

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: