#1 Lupp0

Lupp0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 31 August 2017 - 20:30

Hi,

I have wanted to be a mentor in this game for a long time.

Even started a guild 'Training Facilty' which didn't work out that well, since there were not enough new people joining the game at that time, plus hard to get all the new players into 1 guild ofcourse :)

I really want this 'feature' to be more well known in the game for new players.

Give them some sort of personal message whenever they register, as to how many mentors are available in the game at any given moment.. something in this order.

If this game ever launches on steam, there is a WIDE!!! pool of potential new players that can join the game.

And i want to keep them interested after the first couple of 100 levels they can achieve pretty fast.

So please make it more 'well known' to new players that there are others out there that want to teach them the game.

Please +1 this if you feel the same.

We need more players in this game, needed them for years because of people quitting left and right.

As a community we need to keep people interested in it is my opinion.

And the only way to do this is to teach people how to play it properly, in all aspects of the game.

Edited by Lupp0, 31 August 2017 - 20:31.

RYUVWTI.png

#2 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 22:18

I was talking about an option to set your guild to open invite. Meaning you click join and your in without having to wait to be accepted. Will be primarily targeted for new players to get them into a guild fast so they are more opt to stay playing. This will be a preference. I also suggest adding this as a quest in the tutorial island revamp. Optional quest but comes with a good reward. For those already in guilds obv they will get the reward.

A list will be displayed to see which guilds are open invite.

Edited by EpicPiety, 31 August 2017 - 22:33.

#3 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 22:35

the "find a mentor" button is currently buried beneath several tabs:

actions - find player - find mentor

maybe have a button on the main page says "have a question? click here to ask a veteran player!" that takes you to the mentor page

"asking a veteran player" is better than "find a mentor" IMO as a number of people i'm sure think a "mentor"  is a kind of candy ... also, if it were me, i would think "i don't need a mentor, i just have a question"

...We need more players in this game, needed them for years because of people quitting left and right....

or maybe address the reasons for people quitting left and right

#4 MSCruz

MSCruz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 23:03

I believe there is a great number of players tagged as mentor. What about a random button to indicate an online mentor, similar to the mercenaries search button.

Maybe "mentor" is not a good name as @duktayp stated before, I go with his/her suggestion.

dilbert-input.png?resize=538%2C241

"There's no such thing as constructive criticism" by Tony Schwartz for Harvard Business Review

#5 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:10

I have long been a mentor in this game, and new players that wander into global with questions do receive help if I'm there.  Imho, selecting a mentor should have been added to the tutorial  which by the way wasn't part of the game when I started and is actually younger than the mentor program.  I agree, we should be easier to find and should be something all new players be informed about. Alternatively, referral to the mentors  list could be a link here:

Game Help

This is only a small reason why new players are sparse and rarely stay, however, a big part is that it doesn't captivate them like I was 10 years ago..

idk what can be done to fix the attrition rate.... 

Edited by BadPenny, 01 September 2017 - 01:14.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#6 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:14

I have long been a mentor in this game, and new players that wander into global with questions do receive help if I'm there.  Imho, selecting a mentor should have been added to the tutorial  which by the way wasn't part of the game when I started and is actually younger than the mentor program.  I agree, we should be easier to find and should be something all new players be informed about.

This is only a small reason why new players are sparse and rarely stay, however, a big part is that it doesn't captivate them like I was 10 years ago..

idk what can be done to fix the attrition rate.... 

Problem is there is no easy fix it's a complicated formula. Just gotta keep tweaking it until it's what it used to be.

#7 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:15

Indeed

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

#8 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:25

We need more players in this game, needed them for years because of people quitting left and right.
As a community we need to keep people interested in it is my opinion.

According to BG, our numbers are holding fine. He has them. You don't. Other than that. I am also Mentoring any new players I can. If they ask for help in GC. I try to answer their questions as best I can.

I believe if we want our community to grow. We should all try to help new players as best we can

Edited by cucullainn, 01 September 2017 - 03:26.

#9 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:18

in my experience: the #1 negative comment i hear from new players before they quit is in regards to stamina

maybe maybe maybe...with some 3300 levels of content....maybe the time has come to give people unlimited stamina until they reach level ... (enter a number here) ... to give them more time for the addiction to set in

Maybe "mentor" is not a good name as @duktayp stated before, I go with his/her suggestion.

his - this is me speaking at the Wyndham Anatole in Dallas

hvqKNQg.jpg

Edited by duktayp, 01 September 2017 - 04:48.

#10 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:22

I don't think stamina is the problem. It may be a problem for a few until they new players who don't get any advice. I know two players in a guild who flooded their GS with items for low level players. They would get new players to join every day. The first thing they would do is walk them through the tutorial. Then they would help them start the 7 Epic Quest to get the extra stamina. If they go through those quest. One after the other. It is quite the learning experience as far as leveling goes in the game. I believe with the stamina that they can build up just from those 7 quest in the beginning. Is more than enough to get started. I have watched players play for almost 24 hours straight when doing this Quest and first starting. Still, I have seen that maybe 50 percent of them stay. They may reach level 150. Yes, after that they start to complain about stamina. The other half have stayed because they've been coached on how to buy stamina in the gold upgrades. After a few months many of them were still here and right around the level 250 mark. Giving some of the new players a little bit of stamina may help but I don't know if it's going to help them stick around. Unless you're trying to boost new players to the level 400 mark. Or higher. To give them the idea that they can reach EOC quickly and easily. That they may have a chance to be as high as veteran players. I just don't know if more stamina is what it will take to keep new players interested. Maybe a little longer than usual... IDK

#11 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:29

I was talking about an option to set your guild to open invite. Meaning you click join and your in without having to wait to be accepted. Will be primarily targeted for new players to get them into a guild fast so they are more opt to stay playing. This will be a preference. I also suggest adding this as a quest in the tutorial island revamp. Optional quest but comes with a good reward. For those already in guilds obv they will get the reward.

A list will be displayed to see which guilds are open invite.

According to BG, our numbers are holding fine. He has them. You don't. Other than that. I am also Mentoring any new players I can. If they ask for help in GC. I try to answer their questions as best I can.

I believe if we want our community to grow. We should all try to help new players as best we can

Lets just say they are holding... Holding isn't good enough.

#12 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 15:32

world chat is not a reliable way to have a newb question answered

sometimes because the answer is too detailed, and/or link resources are not allowed in world chat because "they appear to contain a url"

newb Qs also sometimes go unanswered because people there are in a conversation and ignore newb Qs...sometimes a question requires a conversation

chat is dead sometimes, while the last activity of "mentors" can be 00:00:02

a link on the main page: question? click here to ask a veteran player! could take them to someone standing by to answer 

#13 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 16:58

sometimes because the answer is too detailed, and/or link resources are not allowed in world chat because "they appear to contain a url"

newb Qs also sometimes go unanswered because people there are in a conversation and ignore newb Qs...sometimes a question requires a conversation

chat is dead sometimes, while the last activity of "mentors" can be 00:00:02

a link on the main page: question? click here to ask a veteran player! could take them to someone standing by to answer 

I don't just answer in chat, I help them find the information in the guide, send  a pm with helpful tips, whatever the situation demands.  But Penny is old and can't be here 24/7, and I agree that global isn't the best place for a new player to turn for help.  So yes, a link is necessary.  But not just on the main page, imho.  On the sidebar, embedded in the tutorial, at the bottom of the map, near [View Chat Rules] even.  It should be prominent and everywhere so it's easy to find.

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

#14 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 19:39

That's what IMs are for

I am not even aloud to use GC LOL

Edited by cucullainn, 01 September 2017 - 19:40.

#15 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 19:49

I'm not allowed either i'd like too but i just pm if i see someone needing help.

#16 uncola

uncola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 20:00

Best way to help the starting players would be :

1. Change 500 stamina to 1250 Stamina

2. Bring back the booster codes so they can get decent items to hunt since everything it overprices at that range ( make them player bound and sent to their Personal mail when they create a character)

3. Increase backpack page by 5 they need more space to compare and understand newly gained items

3. Lead them from tutorial to the first Epic quest ( Basically the tutorial + Signs and portents (epic) + Eternal defiance (these quests should be joined as 1 big tutorial, since it involves all the basic understandings of the game )

4. Introduce a new AI bot in the world map that you can go to which can have basic answers to many questions they may have .

None of this is making it easier or spoon feeding them but helping them adjust better the game environment, other wise if they find it unsuited and a pay to win game, they will leave, also its 2017 guys you have to realize that with consoles and better game graphics out there its not going to be easy to draw in a new crowd with old perspectives. Give them a chance for them to actually play them game, or they log in and log out within 5 minutes.

Edit: Hunted Cow should really look into this and if they want our opinion use the Poll system which is neglected 

Edited by uncola, 01 September 2017 - 20:09.

#17 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 20:02

Step in the right direction Cola

#18 uncola

uncola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 20:04

whole bunch of grammar errors lol 

Step in the right direction Cola

#19 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 20:08

whole bunch of grammar errors lol 

Maybe the AI can come with auto correct and a grammarly add on.

#20 uncola

uncola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 20:12

Maybe the AI can come with auto correct and a grammarly add on.

We go to brother Giles for recipes or whatever , realm shops for equipment, why not a person standing there with answers to basic questions players might need, I'm sure its simple to do, but who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: