Photo

My mage build (posted per request)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 13:27

Here is the link to my  mage build.

http://talenttheory....4J1N2O2V1Pd3g2/

2ef2jnn.png

Hope this helps.

If there are any questions about the talents I chose or skiped feel free to ask here or ingame.

Ok since some were wondering ingame I decided to post a short FAQ here:

Q: How did you spend your attribute points?

A: I have all atribute points are invested into sorcery.

Q: Overload is one of the best spell for mages, why did you skip Overpowered talent?

A: I dont like Overload very much. It has a 1.5 secound casttime and with owerpowered it does 865% dmg to up to ONLY 5 monsters. While with Bitting cold talent my instant Frostbite does 550% dmg to 5 targets and it has no upper limit meaning its already better if you pull 8 monsters.

Q: Why did you choose the Static discharge talent if you dont like Overload?

A: I find Overload useful for soloing elite creatures becuse with Static discharge talent Overload slows the target for 30% for 12 secounds + the little bonus of 8% more crit is usefull in dungeons.

Q: Why did you skip Essence of Magic?

A: This one is abit harder to justify. But here I would still choose Free Your Mind. Yes that extra auto attack you leave in after every cast does 10% less dmg but I usually have Free Your Mind active throughout the whole of longer fights. It proces every 10 spells and in 15 secounds - unless you are casting Overload - you cast around if not more then 10 spells. Since I have a rather low mana pool the 1% from every essence hit gives me less mana then a 50% reduction on spells cast.

Q: Why did you skip Replenishment talent?

A: Well I find Replenishment rather underwhelming. It looks decent on first look, but if you take a closer look you notice it only gives you 0.5% of your total HP every secound. So even if I crit every spell (Incinerate has damn near 100% crit becuse of Pyromania) it only heals for around 30 hp per secound while a single cast of Rejuvinate heals for 300 hp per 3 secounds. Not to mention Lifeleech gems if you decide to socket them in your essence.

Q: Why choose Blazing Embers?

A: If Incinerate is your bread and butter spell with occasional Ignite and Overload you will have the Blazing Embers debuff active for more then 90% of the boss fights and that is a straight up 15% increase in your overall DPS. ( It does 10% of the spells *meaning Incinerates* total dmg, Incinerate does 150% Spell DPS.)

Q: What about your accuracy? If you skip Mathemagical and avoid focus attribute how will you ever hit anything?

A: At the moment without ANY accuracy gems I have a 105.99% chance to hit against a level 40 monster.

Q: What about Intense Focus talent?

A: Intense Focus talent has a diminishing returns. Meaning more focus you have the smaller your gain from focus will be. Besides 10% might seem alot but even if the talent counts focus gained from items and not just your base focus, the gains from 10% focus when you have lets say 300 is around 0.5-2% crit and a few points in accuracy.

More will be added if they araise :)

Updated to 1.04!

Edited by Webeg, 12 February 2014 - 16:47.

#2 ZombieFreak

ZombieFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 January 2014 - 16:19

my build :)mj8e83.png

Edited by ZombieFreak, 11 January 2014 - 16:19.

#3 Nynaeve

Nynaeve

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 22:03

A: Well I find Replenishment rather underwhelming. It looks decent on first look, but if you take a closer look you notice it only gives you 0.5% of your total HP every secound. So even if I crit every spell (Incinerate has damn near 100% crit becuse of Pyromania) it only heals for around 30 hp per secound while a single cast of Rejuvinate heals for 300 hp per 3 secounds. Not to mention Lifeleech gems if you decide to socket them in your essence.

Assuming your health is as high as Zombies it should be around 277 HP per second. .05 x 5540=277 per second.

A: Intense Focus talent has a diminishing returns. Meaning more focus you have the smaller your gain from focus will be. Besides 10% might seem alot but even if the talent counts focus gained from items and not just your base focus, the gains from 10% focus when you have lets say 300 is around 0.5-2% crit and a few points in accuracy.

Shouldn't that mean the opposite? The more focus you have the more that 10% is multiplied.

Edited by Nynaeve, 11 January 2014 - 22:07.

#4 Nynaeve

Nynaeve

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 22:06

Is Flame Lash a waste of points? Seems like we have plenty of other options for AoE before we would have to resort to using Incinerate/Ignite for AoE. Plus 25% isn't a lot of damage.

#5 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:21

Thank you for this post.  Be a very long time before my mage hits 40, as it's my secondary character.  But I like planning ahead and already put together my future specs.  Looking at your post, I have to say some of your choices look extremely interesting.  I'll have to rethink my plans :)

Question about the mechanics of two talents, perhaps you have some insight?

Fissure:  Is that 15/30 per tick, or over the full 5 seconds, making it 3/6 per tick?  The initial spell does 25% per tick, so the later case seems very trivial.  If it's the former that could make for some impressive DPS for an instant cast AOE.

Lasting Supplication (prophet):  The description makes it sound like a longer lasting benediction, but less healing per tick.  Benediction does 210% over 6s.  Lasting says it adds 6s, but only 140% healing.  Is it still worth it in the second case?  Or is it primarily used for backup healing?  Grouping, I assume the prophet will cast Enlighten.  In beta, I found my level 40 mage pretty durable without it.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#6 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:55

Is Flame Lash a waste of points? Seems like we have plenty of other options for AoE before we would have to resort to using Incinerate/Ignite for AoE. Plus 25% isn't a lot of damage.

flame lash is completly useless

Assuming your health is as high as Zombies it should be around 277 HP per second. .05 x 5540=277 per second.

.5% would be times .005 not .05  (move the decimal 2 places)

Thank you for this post.  Be a very long time before my mage hits 40, as it's my secondary character.  But I like planning ahead and already put together my future specs.  Looking at your post, I have to say some of your choices look extremely interesting.  I'll have to rethink my plans :)

Fissure:  Is that 15/30 per tick, or over the full 5 seconds, making it 3/6 per tick?  The initial spell does 25% per tick, so the later case seems very trivial.  If it's the former that could make for some impressive DPS for an instant cast AOE.

Lasting Supplication (prophet):  The description makes it sound like a longer lasting benediction, but less healing per tick.  Benediction does 210% over 6s.  Lasting says it adds 6s, but only 140% healing.  Is it still worth it in the second case?  Or is it primarily used for backup healing?  Grouping, I assume the prophet will cast Enlighten.  In beta, I found my level 40 mage pretty durable without it.

fissure  and lasting suppication bith increase it by that % like benediction heals for 210% then increase that another 140% with the talent

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#7 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:07

Why did you get starfall?

Wouldn't potions and prophet buff (while maintaining your auto attack in rotation) be enough to satisfy damage with out using to much mana?

www.soundcloud.com/marrow-machines

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#8 Dillias

Dillias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:54

Build: 4/10

Selling friendship, 50 ep per hour.

GET IN FAST

#9 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:07

Wouldn't potions and prophet buff (while maintaining your auto attack in rotation) be enough to satisfy damage with out using to much mana?

when i was mage i still found i need star fall though i didn't get any of the other mana talents prophet buff, a potion ever now and then, and star fall was always good. also the star fall gives the attack boost so not bad for 1 talent point.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#10 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:21

I have starfall becuse I dont use ANY potions AT ALL :)

Everything that is not a spell and you use is wasting your gold...

Plus it is a nice little 30% dmg increase on instance bosses if you bother to use it before fight while waiting for your tank to get agro up.

#11 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:36

Shouldn't that mean the opposite? The more focus you have the more that 10% is multiplied.

About the first question its 0.5% that means you multiply it with 0.005. 0.05 would be 5%.

About number two.

Its like this YES you get more FOCUS from the 10% the more focus you have. BUT the more FOCUS you have the less stats you GET from that FOCUS. Example: lets say 10 focus gives you 2% crit with 100 focus total. At 500 total focus the 50 focus you get would give you less than 2% crit. Try it out. The more focus you have the LESS crit you get per focus point.

Oh man Ive seen awol pretty much anwsered everything before me :>

Edited by Webeg, 12 January 2014 - 08:37.

#12 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:54

I am not quite sure about Fissure. I might do some tests.

About my Lasting Supplication talent in my lvl 45 build it is becuse I am planing to be able to do some solo healing in dungeons. I will see how it works out. Plus I need atleast 1 more point to reach Enlightenment buff. 

If the Supplication talent works anything like the Overpowered at mages it should be or I hope it is 210+140% over each 6 secounds.

But dont quote me on that it is pretty much guess work at the moment. :>

#13 Nynaeve

Nynaeve

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:20

.5% would be times .005 not .05  (move the decimal 2 places)

Arghhh. You're right, I messed up and did it as 5% lol.

#14 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 January 2014 - 19:00

I don't see any use for starfall at least until the fights become a bit longer. Potions do the trick just fine, especially with a more mana conscious build (but you don't really need them in a group from my experience). But i see what you're talking about. Why did you neglect the void portal talent?

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#15 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:59

I don't see any use for starfall at least until the fights become a bit longer. Potions do the trick just fine, especially with a more mana conscious build (but you don't really need them in a group from my experience). But i see what you're talking about. Why did you neglect the void portal talent?

Well for the void pet does about 17% of your DPS per secound which by itself is not that bad, but its single target and lasts only untill the pet gets splatened by some boss, then you can waste 8 secounds to channel him again ofc (but in that 8 secounds Im likely to do more dps then the void elemental does while alive) :>

For solo play I did not find that I needed him.

Edited by Webeg, 13 January 2014 - 10:00.

#16 Telivar

Telivar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 January 2014 - 18:41

Well for the void pet does about 17% of your DPS per secound which by itself is not that bad, but its single target and lasts only untill the pet gets splatened by some boss, then you can waste 8 secounds to channel him again ofc (but in that 8 secounds Im likely to do more dps then the void elemental does while alive) :>

True, I some what regret specing into that talent do to those reasons. Solo farming is nice IF he's able to stay alive. Though in pvp it seems to provide a decent distraction. but then again, that's all it's good for.

^electronic music page^

My mixtape is fire fam.

#17 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 18:46

well he can be healed so he'll stay out longer also with threat management you get him to tanks or sometimes when fighting miniboss quest mobs i could keep the mob bouncing between me and the pet so neither of us really took any dmg. so yeah he can be usefull but eh i could also see reason to skip getting him. i think this one is player prefrence

#18 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 January 2014 - 22:38

How long do you find the void lasts in group boss fights?

I was looking at this talent myself, strictly for groups vs. solo boss.  I figured if it lasts even one minute that 1000% DPS.  Cast once before the fight, don't recast if/when it dies.  Seems pretty good, especially since the initial cast is before the fight so it's all free DPS.

Edited by Irradiated, 13 January 2014 - 22:38.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#19 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 23:28

How long do you find the void lasts in group boss fights?

I was looking at this talent myself, strictly for groups vs. solo boss.  I figured if it lasts even one minute that 1000% DPS.  Cast once before the fight, don't recast if/when it dies.  Seems pretty good, especially since the initial cast is before the fight so it's all free DPS.

Depends on the boss tho... If he gets random agro he is mostly toast :)

Ill agree with awol_lsd here its pretty much up to your preference. I personally dont see myself using/needing it, so its a waste of a talent point pretty high up in the tree.

You could maybe swap Starlight for it I guess, but if you happen to die in a boss fight and get ressurected one Starlight can fill your mana right up with a nice little dps boost as a bonus.

#20 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 16:37

Updated to fit the 1.04. :)

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: