15 replies to this topic

#1 goolsby7

goolsby7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 15:40

Alright, so here's my thing:

Composing has killed off a lot of invented potions that were at one time a key part to many players play.

sure there are some potions that still get invented and used, but a great many have become obsolete thanks to composing.

Now before y'all start a witch hunt of "oh you just hate composing because your only level 11 and yada yada yada" I think composing was a nice addition to the game.

But i think some of the buffs that were allowed through it killed off a lot of the old potions made with inventing. A lot of people made their income with it sure, and even i did my own potion selling for a stint. But insert old man voice back in my day (lol) a lot of activity was potions makers searching for farmers. maybe not a ton of the time but it was frequent. It was something to do besides hunt that helped me make some friends and also give me a bit of income.

SO! Id like to propose something that i don't think will happen, but will at least give people something to think about and maybe improve on the idea.

Some new recipes (perhaps dropped by various mobs) that take 2 or more potions (say potion of the bookworm for example) and uses some of the ingredients required to make them, or even other ingredients for that matter, and makes a stronger version with maybe a different name.

For example:

~Potion of the bookworm [librarian 225]

~Required items:

• Potion bottle (pillar)

• 1 Jadmare Blossom

• 3 Trinettle leaf

• 2 Bloodbloom Root

• 1 Bloodbloom Flower

There could be a "Potion of the Greater Wurm" [librarian 350]

~Required items:

• 2 (or three even) Potion of the Bookworm

• Potion bottle (Cube)

• 2 grub head

• 3 Amber essence

• 1Goobernoob wing

give it say, at 38-40% success rate :o and maybe even have it tagged so that while components can be saved with inventor 2, the potions cannot :o

again just an idea and an example to try and bring back interest in invention potions.

Maybe ill type something up about inventing gear as well XD

Gold / Kill peaks at about Level 310 or so - and then drops again twice - once at 1601 (from average 300g / kill with no doubler/mer/th to 250g / kill) and then again at at 1626 (down another 50g / kill to an average of 200g / kill)

#2 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2018 - 15:56

Hey.

This is the list of invented potions that I'll have a look at in due time.

- Potion of Lesser Death Dealer
- Potion of Lesser Light Foot
- Potion of Lesser Vision
- Potion of Dull Edge
- Jittery Draft
- Deadly Venom and Crippling Poison
- Potion of Waking Hypnotism
- Brew of the Smiths Hammer
- Draft of Amulet Augmentation
- Potion of Bolstered Boots
- Brew of the Reinforced Ring
- Elixir of Rigorous Rune
- Gut Rot Head Splitter

Whether this is a level increase or a reduction or required resources, I'm not sure yet.

~ Grim

#3 goolsby7

goolsby7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 16:37

Hey.

This is the list of invented potions that I'll have a look at in due time.

- Potion of Lesser Death Dealer
- Potion of Lesser Light Foot
- Potion of Lesser Vision
- Potion of Dull Edge
- Jittery Draft
- Deadly Venom and Crippling Poison
- Potion of Waking Hypnotism
- Brew of the Smiths Hammer
- Draft of Amulet Augmentation
- Potion of Bolstered Boots
- Brew of the Reinforced Ring
- Elixir of Rigorous Rune
- Gut Rot Head Splitter

Whether this is a level increase or a reduction or required resources, I'm not sure yet.

~ Grim

As far as those recipes, I think a level increase is the best course, as the main reason (at least for me) that ive never invented them is that their usefulness is fairly moot :o Gut rot i've made/used a good bit, but its also the only enchant helm pot i think. 

I'm glad to see that you've got plans for some of the older small pots though <3

Gold / Kill peaks at about Level 310 or so - and then drops again twice - once at 1601 (from average 300g / kill with no doubler/mer/th to 250g / kill) and then again at at 1626 (down another 50g / kill to an average of 200g / kill)

#4 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 August 2018 - 17:07

As far as those recipes, I think a level increase is the best course, as the main reason (at least for me) that ive never invented them is that their usefulness is fairly moot ohmy.png Gut rot i've made/used a good bit, but its also the only enchant helm pot i think. 

I'm glad to see that you've got plans for some of the older small pots though <3

For sure. Other invented potions that feel underwhelming can be mentioned/brought up too but they are not likely to be brought up to par with composing as it stands now. Remember, a lot of time and gold goes into leveling that up.

~ Grim

#5 goolsby7

goolsby7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 17:32

For sure. Other invented potions that feel underwhelming can be mentioned/brought up too but they are not likely to be brought up to par with composing as it stands now. Remember, a lot of time and gold goes into leveling that up.

~ Grim

oh i agree, they don't compare. True that people spend a lot of time and gold on composing, just feels like potion making is kinda fading away in general. Gear inventing to really. Its rare to find arena rewards in the AH anymore :o used to take a while but they showed up. even regular gear doesn't show up much anymore, just not made as often :o

#6 atta222

atta222

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:53

I like the idea. I had the intention from the beginning to bring back inventing.

#7 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:26

Just feels like potion making is kinda fading away in general.

Sure. I've tried a few things to try and bring gear back. Needs more work. However, pushing invented potions buff level above composing is not the way to fix things. It just makes composing less interesting.

~ Grim

#8 goolsby7

goolsby7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 00:37

Sure. I've tried a few things to try and bring gear back. Needs more work. However, pushing invented potions buff level above composing is not the way to fix things. It just makes composing less interesting.

~ Grim

Understandable Grim, tis why it was simply just an idea :P I just miss inventing is all :3 most of what i have to look forward to now is arena inventing (gear specifically) but that's so time consuming and even has a smidgen of luck thrown in when the arena is concerned .3. but that's a whole other topic lol.

Another idea that just popped into my head grim:

maybe, maybe, there could be a sort of small npc-sell feature for inventing certain potions?

Hear me out for a second before you crush my wee dreams lol.

an example, say a potion of bookworm with the ingredients above, the bought resources (on 100% extract) come up to about 10k. so say you could sell it to a specific shop somewhere in a realm that would pay you 15k for said potion. [i]if you were successful on extracting the amber plants on your first try this would be a net gain of 5k gold. This isnt a lot, and the extract rates mean its not always a guarantee. take into account stamina usage and extract rates for other resources, and it wouldnt be a massive gold gain, but perhaps a way to get people who dont invent often more into the idea than a daily quest that people spam mystic pickaxes for XD

Now if this idea gets a bit more leeway, the potion prices at the vendor of choice who buys them (or even one of the brothers in the mountains) would reflect on how many components and their rarity, the example above was taking into consideration purchasable plants nothing to pricey,, but enough to be tempting :D

On that note, can we have an inventor medal like composing has TTATT 

#9 atta222

atta222

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 August 2018 - 14:09

Would be great if there was a potion for Rage ... And a higher Inventing Keen Edge Potion. I think Attack stats need an extra buff. It's hard to boost it and Dispel Curse is a Nightmare , not to mention, strategic buffs drains it like NMV and SC X.x

Edited by atta222, 17 August 2018 - 14:09.

#10 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 17 August 2018 - 18:41

KE has an extremely high composed potion.  Rage is inefficient unless you actually have assigned many points to attack.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#11 goolsby7

goolsby7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:38

Would be great if there was a potion for Rage ... And a higher Inventing Keen Edge Potion. I think Attack stats need an extra buff. It's hard to boost it and Dispel Curse is a Nightmare , not to mention, strategic buffs drains it like NMV and SC X.x

Thats the entire point of those buffs, you even said it was strategic yourself lol. and badpenny is right, we have a high enough KE through composing, we've no real need for a new higher tier invented pot for one.

#12 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:55

There is an official HCS thread dedicated to potions.  Those of you who have thoughts, ideas, and impressions should look into it.

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

#13 atta222

atta222

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:11

Thats the entire point of those buffs, you even said it was strategic yourself lol. and badpenny is right, we have a high enough KE through composing, we've no real need for a new higher tier invented pot for one.

I didn't mean higher than the composing one. But an inventive KE. The KE 200 is useless, why not make 250 KE inventable... Non composers can buy them in the AH..

Edited by atta222, 18 August 2018 - 11:12.

#14 atta222

atta222

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:31

There is an official HCS thread dedicated to potions. Those of you who have thoughts, ideas, and impressions should look into it.

I understand. Was just a side thought. I ll try sounding my ideas there.

#15 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:13

I didn't mean higher than the composing one. But an inventive KE. The KE 200 is useless, why not make 250 KE inventable... Non composers can buy them in the AH..

KE is only as effective as you have sets to support it, same goes for SH. 4 two piece sets plus a random 9th piece (from another set if you want coordinated buffs to work) make even 175 quite powerful.  200 isn't all that bad.  If one struggles, then maybe a trip to the set calculator is in order....  

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

#16 goolsby7

goolsby7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:13

KE is only as effective as you have sets to support it, same goes for SH. 4 two piece sets plus a random 9th piece (from another set if you want coordinated buffs to work) make even 175 quite powerful.  200 isn't all that bad.  If one struggles, then maybe a trip to the set calculator is in order....  

heck i wont lie, i use a set calculator to find my base uncrafted/unforged stats for arena for levels i dont know when i test things out XD comes in handy for when i level into new pvp ranges to ;P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: