Photo

My mage build (posted per request)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 Gunster

Gunster

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 17:26

Hey Webeg I have some questions regarding your new build after 1.04

1. Still going full sorcery or 5 sorcery 1 energy now?

2. Is Starlight worth it? Is Free your Mind enough by itself even with the new update? Between the two, why did you pick Free your Mind over Starlight?

3. What did you drop static discharge for? :)

Thanks!

#22 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:03

Well:

1. Yes I am still full sorvery, Ill explain this later.

2. Starlight is great but only in some limited cases, while Free your mind will be active around 90% of the fight. Before the update I only used Starlight if I died and was revived, now I use a potion. It saves time (no casttime), but you need to have atleast a few mana potions on you now. Between the Prophecy and Free your Mind I rarely run out of mana and when I do the potion is off cooldown way before this happens.

3. I droped static discharge purely out of personal preference. Using it MIGHT boost your single target DPS its up to debate and depends largly on what you would otherwise secrefice - talent wise to obtain it. Personally I rarely use Overload in end-game content and with the nerf to haste its overall benefit from the crit buff has been slightly reduced. As Ive said personal preference.

Hope this explains it all :)

#23 Pathfinder

Pathfinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 22:39

Very nice Webeg!!!! I would like to see more posts like this for diff builds.

Thanks!!!

#24 Gunster

Gunster

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:39

Hi Webeg, two more questions:

1. I still like Overload and would like to put points into static discharge. From your build, what two talents would you drop for that? (I was thinking engulf and plasma shield).

2. With the frostbite cd nerf, mage AoE farming is now a lot harder. Is it still worth investing in the frostbite duration and the blizzard damage talents (and other talents associated with those two skills?)

Thanks for the quick response Webeg, it's been a great help :)

#25 Honza

Honza

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:30

What do you think of this mage build plan?
http://talenttheory....3N2O2Q1V1Pd3g2/
(It's already planned for lvl 45 since I have strong doubts I'd reach 40 before 45 content is published)

It would run full sorcery and the aim is single target (bosses/pvp) annihilation (with some very minor AoE support)

#26 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:14

(It's already planned for lvl 45 since I have strong doubts I'd reach 40 before 45 content is published)

It would run full sorcery and the aim is single target (bosses/pvp) annihilation (with some very minor AoE support)

Looks interesting.  A couple of questions/comments.

1.  I found Flameflash can make soloing painful.  Just not enough DPS to justify the loss of control.  Do you find it really worth it?

2.  I found stun not useful in groups, and the Flame Buffet chance at stun doesn't seem reliably high enough for solo.  Is it (will it be) more useful by that level?

3.  At level 45 you don't need Conflagaration yet, as Fulmination is a level 50 ability.

4.  I've seen posted that Starlight is unnecessary, that Prophecy and Free Your Mind + an occasional potion provide all the mana necessary.  Comments by any level 40 mages?

5.  Based on comments by others (haven't tried PvP myself), I thought Breakdown was a PvP requirement?  Or is this no longer true with the haste reduction?

6.  Skipping talents for both Frostbite and Blizzard.  Interesting idea that may be effective given your aim.  Love to know how that works out.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#27 Honza

Honza

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:01

The major worry I have is such a damage output will make me firing a nuke on boss, pissing him off epically and for the rest of fight running in circles with claws clashing behind my back...

#28 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 13:52

The major worry I have is such a damage output will make me firing a nuke on boss, pissing him off epically and for the rest of fight running in circles with claws clashing behind my back...

Unless the boss trows a rock at you, muahhaha, lol nonetheless a good build.

Edited by Susej, 14 February 2014 - 13:52.

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#29 Honza

Honza

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 16:03

Looks interesting.  A couple of questions/comments.

1.  I found Flameflash can make soloing painful.  Just not enough DPS to justify the loss of control.  Do you find it really worth it?

2.  I found stun not useful in groups, and the Flame Buffet chance at stun doesn't seem reliably high enough for solo.  Is it (will it be) more useful by that level?

3.  At level 45 you don't need Conflagaration yet, as Fulmination is a level 50 ability.

4.  I've seen posted that Starlight is unnecessary, that Prophecy and Free Your Mind + an occasional potion provide all the mana necessary.  Comments by any level 40 mages?

5.  Based on comments by others (haven't tried PvP myself), I thought Breakdown was a PvP requirement?  Or is this no longer true with the haste reduction?

6.  Skipping talents for both Frostbite and Blizzard.  Interesting idea that may be effective given your aim.  Love to know how that works out.

1. Dunno, had it all the time and got used to splash AoE and possible aggro
2. Again, I am getting quite decent amount of stun to seem make it worth consideration at least
3. That is true, can keep it for points from lvl 48-50
4. It should serve as backup when Free Your Mind doesn't fire up. Sometimes even on my current level when I go heavy and FYM doesn't trigger I burn out on mana quite fast...
5. Well, that will have to be tested, frankly I have no slightest idea

6. I am curious myself  :)

#30 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 18:15

Hi Webeg, two more questions:

1. I still like Overload and would like to put points into static discharge. From your build, what two talents would you drop for that? (I was thinking engulf and plasma shield).

2. With the frostbite cd nerf, mage AoE farming is now a lot harder. Is it still worth investing in the frostbite duration and the blizzard damage talents (and other talents associated with those two skills?)

Thanks for the quick response Webeg, it's been a great help :)

Engulf is increadibly useful if you solo with lifesteal sloted, it doubles your HP steal with an extra hit per second. And the new Plasma shield is great beyond words, it allows me to offtank 2nd boss in TR if my group happens to be without a warrior. So if youre planing on getting static discharge I would say its best to drop 2 points from Invocation so you miss out on 4% spell haste? <- not really sure what I would drop TBH

With the frostbite CD nerf not much has changed for me tbh... I can still almost chain snare with around 8.4 seconds CD on my Frostbite. (I have 60% haste with assasin buff with my build)

Np, I like to help out if I can :)

#31 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 18:35

Well I have tried a build simular to this but I had problems with the fallowing:

- The way the game handles stuns currently makes them an increadibly unreliable means of crowd control -> Im talking about the buff we get after we get stuned so it is impossible to chain stun. (Flame buffet)

- 10% focus is a waste of 2 talents if you ask me. I have 138 focus at the moment so 10% would give me 14 bonus focus <- this is really low if you ask me, its less then 2% crit. You dont even need the accuracy that you would get from that 14 focus since you are capped with just 138 focus that gives you +33.67% accuracy. <- You lose 15% accuracy for evey level you are below the mob you are attacking and the world bosses are level 42. With +30% accuracy you will never glance them.

- You are saying you want single target dmg and you skipped Blazing Embers.

- Starlight just for reserve is abit well wierd, as you can use a potion in that case.

- You might want to get the new Plasma shield, quite useful now for PvP.

- Flamelash is not bad but its not really worth it if you ask me.

- Overload with just Overpowered is quite terrible, if you go that route get Static discharge aswell...

Just a few thoughts :)

Edited by Webeg, 14 February 2014 - 19:14.

#32 Honza

Honza

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 19:06

thx for points Webeg, time to go back to drawing board :-)

#33 Valiance

Valiance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 20:15

Hey webeg dont you think miasma is a good talent ? It bends in well with frost bite and blizzard and helps AOE farming .
Like i gather mobs with the plasma sheild and then use miasma to stun them all and frostbite them..... then blizzard . This way i take minimal damage and i dont have to spend time healing myself......  and also why do you invest in crit chance of incinerate , considering that we spend 0 points in mana ! Casting incenarate would mean faster mana drain ! And also dont you think starlight it better than pots becoz if you use Mana pot and then if in an emergency you are have to use a HP pot you wont be able to do so ! And also why did you ignore biting cold (increased damage for frostbite) ? Isint it the main thing used in AOE grinding ?
And why would you have Steal health on hit gems on weps when your a mage ?we can heal ourselves pretty well right ? And also what about the void summon ?? 

#34 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 February 2014 - 21:42

The steal health on hit gem goes into the essence since it works for all your spells.  So, every mob you AoE is giving you free health.

Bryn -  Prophet - lvl 45

Ullr -   Ranger -   lvl 32

Thud - Warrior - lvl 16

Payn -  Templar - lvl 16

Jinx -  Mage -      lvl 10

__________________________________________________________________________________

Foraging - 45 | Farming - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Skinning - 34 | Fishing - 45 | Crystal - 45

Alchemy - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Tailoring - 9 | Leather - 9

#35 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:11

Hey webeg dont you think miasma is a good talent ? It bends in well with frost bite and blizzard and helps AOE farming .
Like i gather mobs with the plasma sheild and then use miasma to stun them all and frostbite them..... then blizzard . This way i take minimal damage and i dont have to spend time healing myself......  and also why do you invest in crit chance of incinerate , considering that we spend 0 points in mana ! Casting incenarate would mean faster mana drain ! And also dont you think starlight it better than pots becoz if you use Mana pot and then if in an emergency you are have to use a HP pot you wont be able to do so ! And also why did you ignore biting cold (increased damage for frostbite) ? Isint it the main thing used in AOE grinding ?
And why would you have Steal health on hit gems on weps when your a mage ?we can heal ourselves pretty well right ? And also what about the void summon ?? 

It is up to you how you farm, but IMO you should stun->blizzard->frostbyte(Kyte)->blizzard-->stun-->blizzard-->...

If you have all talents in frostbyte you dont even need to stun.

Edited by Susej, 17 February 2014 - 08:12.

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#36 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 19:56

Miasma is decent if not good imo, but you have to secrefice something to get it. I belive it helps you with your farming, esspecially since the frostbite nerf.

I dont get what you mean with incinerate crit chance and mana... I never run out of mana even with the updated enlightenment.

Starlight is good, but those are 5 seconds you are not dpsing. I skipped biting cold in this build becuse Ive ran out of talent points. And since the cooldown nerf on Frostbite I dont consider spending those 2 points a good investment dps wise.

Well i have 2 different essences, one is Hoh and the other is haste. I use HoH essence for aoe farming since its next to impossible to die if you know what you are doing. You can always use your curterize if you fail with HoH.

Void summon is not bad, but its not great. It doesnt help with AoE farming at all for instance.

Sorry for the delayed response, I am abroad for 6 weeks and without my computer :)

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: