Photo

Mage help plz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeMessiah

CallMeMessiah

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 00:09

Hi guys,

Can someone please help me with my mage lvling.  I would like to try AoE levelling, as the quests are getting a bit tiresome now.

What is a good build for this ? I am currently lvl 20.

And what areas/mobs should i be going for ?

And of course...spell rotations.

Thanks in advance

~M~

#2 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:39

for aoe grinding = talents for frostbite and blizzard (and rest that boost spell attack/crit)

cast sequance = run and gather, frostbite to stuck all mobs, drop out of melee range, blizzard... repeat untill mobs are dead.

area's depends on your lvl as you lvl you'll move to different area's.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#3 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:27

You wanna overload and perhaps try engulf, you don't wanna just spam blizzard and frostbite.
Overload is actually your  best spell when AoE grinding, yes SOO MUCH better than blizzard.

You wanna gather them up in a big chunk and overload -> Frostbite -> Blizzard.
I haven't tried Engulf yet but i don't see it being effective if you spec blizzard.

You should try kill those plague mobs at level 18 (North of Nidaros) To practice your AoE farming.
Generally you wanna find monsters that are melee and you should be good to go! Aslong as they're not swift or have charge.

I get really bored of AoE grinding its way to repetitive and with almost no reward in both gold or loot.

Once you get used to it there is plague rogues by the river in Jasperwood, they're level 20. Make sure your accuracy is 100% your own level (Level 20 in this case is the mob you are fighting!) If not.. just try find some mobs lower than your actual level, you cannot AoE grind without having 100% hit rate against the mobs you are fighting. Your rotations will be messed up when your frostbite misses on 1-2 mobs.

Just make sure you take all the talents for Overload/Frostbite/Blizzard, if you have anything extra put it on crit/haste, crit being better imo.

Use tab to get target/s
Remember to purchase Cauterize/Rejuv for healing, Cauterize is a must, it's an instant heal for pretty much all your health.

Edited by Hab, 05 February 2014 - 05:06.

#4 sareth

sareth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:06

You wanna overload and engulf, you don't wanna just spam blizzard and frostbite.
Overload is actually your  best spell when AoE grinding, yes SOO MUCH better than blizzard.

"Overload Deals 175% Spell DPS to first enemy reducing 30% per arc" i wonder how much dps deals to "Enemy" nr5 when fully upgraded :D

#5 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:13

"Overload Deals 175% Spell DPS to first enemy reducing 30% per arc" i wonder how much dps deals to "Enemy" nr5 when fully upgraded :D

25% ;) Note that each hit can crit even the 5th hit.
Don't forget Static Discharge, Overload has so many added benefits. 30% slow and 8% crit which is added on top of your Frostbite/Blizzard damage.

Edited by Hab, 05 February 2014 - 05:18.

#6 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:02

but you dont need the 30% slow or the 8% crit as mage your crit is high enough and with frostbite the mobs don't move... why worry about slwoing them...........

blizzard has no target limit can gather 10mobs all day and out dps your overload every time overload is a waste skill in pve 

any mage i'm telling you all you need is to maximize your dps and learn to use frostbite/blizzard effectivly there are grind spots you can consistantly gather 10+ mobs repeatedly each pull and lvl in no time at all. 

you use that to lvl 39-40 then use your free respec to get a broader talent spec..

(note this only aplies untill they patch the pve/pvp balance update who knows after that)

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#7 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:28

Overload is not a waste, how do you reason?
You're saying 8% crit is useless? Wow, no words.
Blizzard does 90% spell DPS

Overload does 175%, 145%, 115%, 85%, 55%, 25% and applies 8% crit. That's a total of 600%

For you to reach that you need ATLEAST 7 targets and you get NO crit modifier. Do you realise how much 8% crit is? Does 150% more damage to your Frostbite/Blizzard, that's ABSOLUTELY crazy.

When you take distance from them and they're closing into you, you might aswell cast overload there is really no loss in that regard either, if you plan to use blizzard on moving targets you're pretty much wasting DPS even more.

From a pure math perspective you are wrong.

DPS rotations is purely mechanical and math.

Edited by Hab, 05 February 2014 - 06:35.

#8 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:44

thats my point when AOE grinding you always have more than 7 targets.... = blizzard does more...

now take into just playabilty with it....

with a 2 second cast time you'll be getting hit a lot more = forces to gather fewer mobs = less exp per hour when grinding you dont just go what what is best on paper you go with what works best over a set amount of time (like an hour)

he asked for the best aoe grind and that does most deffenently = frostbite/blizzard now you could say use overload in with the 2... but when you going to cast it... you're gathering 10+ mobs so not going to want to stand still and cast they get on you and mage dont last logn with that many mobs so ok frostbite then overload? the overload only going to hit half or fewer of the targerts.. + it will waste 2 seconds of your frostbite freeze making it end BEFORE your blizzard is finnished...

it just all around messes things up and slows you down... same with engulf

now back to math.... lets just use 1000 dps for easy math.. at 90% dps thats 900 base dmg gatehr 10 mobs thats 9,000 total dmg every second for 6 seconds = 54,000 dmg correct?

now 6 seconds = 3 casts on overload (not really because of cooldown wich dont have to worry about with frostbite/blizzard combo but we'll say 3 anyway)

overload at 1000 dps  175% = 1750  145% = 1450  115 = 1150  85 = 850  55% = 550 and 25% = 250 for a total of 6000 dmg right?  now blizzard is 6 seconds so we're saying we cast overload 3 times to = the 6 seconds since 2 seconds cast time thats 18000 dmg total.... 

so in a matter of 6 seconds  we can do 54k dmg to 10 mobs OR we can do 18k dmg to 5 mobs.... now lets say you crit every single overload so double that.... 36k dmg now.... stilll isn't reaching it....  

and this is all ignoreing the fact you have to stand still for 2 seconds to cast while you're being hit instead of standing 1 step out of range taking 0 dmg while blizzarding frozen mobs

(and yeah i'm half asleep so if any of my number are off sorry i'm pretty sure they aren't but yeah sleepy so might be a little either way its clear wich comes out ahead)

#9 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:53

thats my point when AOE grinding you always have more than 7 targets.... = blizzard does more...

It doesn't do more damage, since the crit mutiplier makes you do more damage.

with a 2 second cast time you'll be getting hit a lot more = forces to gather fewer mobs = less exp per hour when grinding you dont just go what what is best on paper you go with what works best over a set amount of time (like an hour)

It's 1.5 seconds cast time, You wouldn't get hit since you are gathering the mobs in the first place and since you already have a great distance you are casting overload and when they gap close on you. You don't TAG mobs with overload..

You do that with your essence and usually you need to run a extra circle to get them really bunched up, you have already created a distance by now which you can use for overload and by the time they close up to you just freeze and  blizzard.

#10 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:02

he asked for the best aoe grind and that does most deffenently = frostbite/blizzard now you could say use overload in with the 2... but when you going to cast it... you're gathering 10+ mobs so not going to want to stand still and cast they get on you and mage dont last logn with that many mobs so ok frostbite then overload? the overload only going to hit half or fewer of the targerts.. + it will waste 2 seconds of your frostbite freeze making it end BEFORE your blizzard is finnished...

it just all around messes things up and slows you down... same with engulf

now back to math.... lets just use 1000 dps for easy math.. at 90% dps thats 900 base dmg gatehr 10 mobs thats 9,000 total dmg every second for 6 seconds = 54,000 dmg correct?

now 6 seconds = 3 casts on overload (not really because of cooldown wich dont have to worry about with frostbite/blizzard combo but we'll say 3 anyway)

overload at 1000 dps  175% = 1750  145% = 1450  115 = 1150  85 = 850  55% = 550 and 25% = 250 for a total of 6000 dmg right?  now blizzard is 6 seconds so we're saying we cast overload 3 times to = the 6 seconds since 2 seconds cast time thats 18000 dmg total.... 

so in a matter of 6 seconds  we can do 54k dmg to 10 mobs OR we can do 18k dmg to 5 mobs.... now lets say you crit every single overload so double that.... 36k dmg now.... stilll isn't reaching it....  

and this is all ignoreing the fact you have to stand still for 2 seconds to cast while you're being hit instead of standing 1 step out of range taking 0 dmg while blizzarding frozen mobs

Your math made no sense ,YOU can't calculate it as pure raw damage with no multipliers, the REASON you cast overload is because of static discharge at a group which amplifies your damage.

What do you do when the monsters are closing up to you? Stand still? Channel a blizzard when they're moving towards you?

1.5 second of blizzard WILL never ever scale better than a overload, unless we are talking about 15+ monsters, but let's be reasonable it'll never reach that stage, you're most likely to run around with 7~

#11 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:02

lol... ok so you're putting all them points into it just for a single cast before you do what your'e going to do anyway....  and you gather 10 mobs you dont have a lot of room to keep running before they start dropping off so cant get THAT much distance....  you stand for 1.5 seconds they are in range to hit and by time you get frostbite cast and able to move you're likely dead so all this becomes mute anyway...

you either dont grind or you do it gathering smaller groups haha 

anyway i NEED to go to bed... not going to continue if you'ld like you can show me tomorrow 

It doesn't do more damage, since the crit mutiplier makes you do more damage.

and i guess you didn't look i even doubled the dmg being done with overloading assuming it crit on every single hit and blizzard didn't crit on any...........  (wich as mage with such high crit chance anyway the blizzard would had but i gave it all to your side just for arguments sake...) so yeah when just compare the 2 skills blizzard is more dmg even if you crit on every overload bounce...  

blah i got to shut up and go to sleep haha... g'night :)

#12 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:13

lol... ok so you're putting all them points into it just for a single cast before you do what your'e going to do anyway....  and you gather 10 mobs you dont have a lot of room to keep running before they start dropping off so cant get THAT much distance....  you stand for 1.5 seconds they are in range to hit and by time you get frostbite cast and able to move you're likely dead so all this becomes mute anyway...

It's 4 points and yes of course you invest 4 points into making your AoE grinding more efficent, where else in the tree are you gonna invest 4 points better? No place is a better investment. 

Usually your movement SPEED is faster than the monsters, otherwise the whole point in AoE grinding is defeated if you get hit by 10 mobs you'll probably die which is never the case since you are running faster than them.

I don't know why I'm repeating myself again, but you have to bunch them up otherwise your Blizzard or Frostbite won't hit them all. You EASILY have 1.5 seconds before reach you.
I dont understand what you do during the time when they're moving towards you? Are you not doing anything?

and i guess you didn't look i even doubled the dmg being done with overloading assuming it crit on every single hit and blizzard didn't crit on any...........

You're math is very wrong, let me correct you..

#13 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:17

(blah just had to check one last time before closing window but dont worry not goint to be long winded... haha) 

simply put

http://talenttheory....1N2O2Q1V1Pd3g2/

right there is where you put them

#14 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22

You wanna overload and perhaps try engulf, you don't wanna just spam blizzard and frostbite.

You wanna gather them up in a big chunk and overload -> Frostbite -> Blizzard.
I haven't tried Engulf yet but i don't see it being effective if you spec blizzard.

Overload is pretty bad for AOE grinding... The problem is long casttime and upper monster limit...

That beeing said I used it while leveling up for the slow on elite monster mini-bosses.

Engulf is kind of ok if you have lifesteal gems it is extra DPS but the main thing is you get healed ALOT.

Overload is not a waste, how do you reason?
You're saying 8% crit is useless? Wow, no words.
Blizzard does 90% spell DPS

Overload does 175%, 145%, 115%, 85%, 55%, 25% and applies 8% crit. That's a total of 600%

For you to reach that you need ATLEAST 7 targets and you get NO crit modifier. Do you realise how much 8% crit is? Does 150% more damage to your Frostbite/Blizzard, that's ABSOLUTELY crazy.

BTW you are wrong here... The 4th and 5th strike dont lose 30% DPS or so Ive been told.

And crit dmg isnt 2x normal but 1.5x normal dmg.

Even so if you compare the two you need to count 2x Blizzard ticks in the 2 seconds you cast Overload...

Here is an example of a build:

http://talenttheory....d3i2m1o2s2t1u2/

#15 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:32

"now back to math.... lets just use 1000 dps for easy math.. at 90% dps thats 900 base dmg gatehr 10 mobs thats 9,000 total dmg every second for 6 seconds = 54,000 dmg correct?

so in a matter of 6 seconds  we can do 54k dmg to 10 mobs OR we can do 18k dmg to 5 mobs.... now lets say you crit every single overload so double that.... 36k dmg now.... stilll isn't reaching it....  "

"now back to math.... lets just use 1000 dps for easy math.. at 90% dps thats 900 base dmg gatehr 10 mobs thats 9,000 total dmg every second for 6 seconds = 54,000 dmg correct?

Yes assuming nothing crits.

overload at 1000 dps  175% = 1750  145% = 1450  115 = 1150  85 = 850  55% = 550 and 25% = 250 for a total of 6000 dmg right?

Yes assuming nothing crits, 6000 damage in 1.5 seconds.

now blizzard is 6 seconds so we're saying we cast overload 3 times to = the 6 seconds since 2 seconds cast time thats 18000 dmg total.... 

I dont understand what you mean here, you mean that 3x overload is 18k raw damage if nothing crits? Ok.

blizzard is 90% which makes it 900 damage per tick, thats 9000 damage on 10 monsters. That's 9000 DPS.
Overload is doing  6000 raw damage in 1.5 seconds and adding a 8% crit multiplier on top of your Frostbite/Blizzard.
Do you understand how flawed your math is?
Crit has a 150% damage multiplier, The more crit you have the more % chance you have of rolling a 150% damage.
The more crit you have the better, unless it goes above 50% than it becomes less efficent.
Crit's has no DR.

#16 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:35

Overload is pretty bad for AOE grinding... The problem is long casttime and upper monster limit...

That beeing said I used it while leveling up for the slow on elite monster mini-bosses.

Engulf is kind of ok if you have lifesteal gems it is extra DPS but the main thing is you get healed ALOT.

BTW you are wrong here... The 4th and 5th strike dont lose 30% DPS or so Ive been told.

And crit dmg isnt 2x normal but 1.5x normal dmg.

Even so if you compare the two you need to count 2x Blizzard ticks in the 2 seconds you cast Overload...

Here is an example of a build:

http://talenttheory....d3i2m1o2s2t1u2/

1.5 second cast time not two seconds.
You don't need healing during AoE; Cauterize is all you need..

Engulf is terrible and yes i know hence why i said 150% and not 200%.

I'm done discussing this matter since I'm probably talking to 12 year olds right now that haven't finished high school yet.

Edited by Hab, 05 February 2014 - 07:36.

#17 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:53

1.5 second cast time not two seconds.
You don't need healing during AoE; Cauterize is all you need..

Engulf is terrible and yes i know hence why i said 150% and not 200%.

I'm done discussing this matter since I'm probably talking to 12 year olds right now that haven't finished high school yet.

Then count 90%+45% DPS if you want...

The thing you are forgeting aswell is that you crit regardless of the 8% buff aswell, so you migth crit 8% more in the end but you would crit with blizzard (8% less of the time) all the same.

Besides I personally hate it when the mobs dont die all at once and you have to waste extra time on the last few straglers so you are basically worse off overall then with constant blizzard spam even when pulling smaller amounts of mobs (5).

#18 Hab

Hab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:08

Then count 90%+45% DPS if you want...

The thing you are forgeting aswell is that you crit regardless of the 8% buff aswell, so you migth crit 8% more in the end but you would crit with blizzard (8% less of the time) all the same.

Besides I personally hate it when the mobs dont die all at once and you have to waste extra time on the last few straglers so you are basically worse off overall then with constant blizzard spam even when pulling smaller amounts of mobs (5).

Not really, In a scale of a hour you'll definitely crit more, you can even notice a 1% crit difference if you go in a longer period of time. Crit exponentially gets better unless you reach like 50%. Crit is very desireable, having 8% crit when you have 30% crit is way better than having 8% crit added on 10%

Regardless of what you do; Monsters will never die at the same time. You have baseline crit chance.

Fuck i forgot i wasn't suppose to comment >_> See you, hopefully someone else gets involved in this discussion that has IQ :(

Edited by Hab, 05 February 2014 - 08:40.

#19 Lagenia

Lagenia

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:43

Ahhh please stop this crap ... Habibi ur Zombie?

Overload crit chance increase only works on the Monster Overload hits, so you only have on 5 monster a higher crit chance, thats what makes it pointless out of dungeons where you have bosses + adds < 7 targets ... Or PvP where overload is OP because of the fact that there are 1-5 people max. and overload has a very high DPS compared to the AOE attacks - but overload is basically called a single target spell, even tho it can hit up to 5 ... 5 target hit make no difference on aoe grinding with pulls of 20+ monster at a time

Overload just suxx for leveling, overload is perfect for dungeons. point!

Best aoe grinding method is engulf urself, start pulling as much monster as possible, frostbite them + engulf a monster in the middle, blizzard -> all monster dead with 1 combo didnt need more than 1 combo most of the times.

At level ~35 or 36 you get dragonbreath and level 40 meteor, which increases your ability of aoe farming.

Doing Frostbite, engulf + dragonbreath or meteor (changing as of the higher cooldowns - as long as you dont own xxx spell haste to make it every pull) no need for blizzard anymore at this point.

Engulf is so OP because of the lifesteal you get for it and the high dmg.

Before level ~36 where you get dragonbreath its very good with the engulf + blizzard tactic, because you have very high life steal when you use a life on hit essence and on pulling you always get hit ... i was healing ~300-400 / second because engulf and blizzard both proc life on hit for every single monster it hits as AOE

Most Mages underestimate the factor of Life on Hit in Essences, but its freaking OP, with lvl 40 i can even tank lvl 40 monsters and burn them to ground without frostbite and just tanking because the lifesteal with meteor / dragonbreath + engulf is so enormous

Edited by Lagenia, 05 February 2014 - 08:46.

5700658DHjpT.png

6 x Level 40, 8 to go

#20 Webeg

Webeg

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:43

Not really, In a scale of an hour you'll definitely crit more, you can even notice a 1% crit difference if you go in a longer period of time. Crit exponentially gets better unless you reach like 50%. Crit is very desireable, having 8% crit when you have 30% crit is way better than having 8% crit added on 10%

Regardless of what you do; Monsters will never die at the same time. You have baseline crit chance.

Fuck i forgot i wasn't suppose to comment >_> See you, hopefully someone else gets involved in this discussion that has IQ :(

They dont die at the same time, but their HP difference is not as extreme as it is in the case of using Overload...

Besides out of x monsters pulled 5 would have considerably lower HP (Overload) and would be running slower so you would have to kite the other x monsters abit longer so you get them all back together with the slower running ones...

All in all it is not worth it... Im speaking from experiance...

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: