Photo

Linux Java Firefox Plugin?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:57

Hi,

I am new to the game, never had a chance to play yet. I tried to, and it wouldn't work, just showed a install Java screen. Which I already have installed Java 7 from within my Software Center thing on Zorin OS 9 (a Linux distro). I looked around the net and everything suggests I install the plugin manually, and it's all a major headache, I don't understand what I'm doing and it's scary.

Is there not an easy way to get the plugin to work? The plugin doesn't exist in the browser, and everything suggests that I have to do it manually, I cannot find an easier way on my own. I am still new to Linux myself. I only recently switched from Windows 7 to Mint then from Mint to Deepin, then from Deepin to Zorin OS 9. Zorin is designed to look and function a lot like Windows 7 but with better design language. I know that it's easier on Windows, however for some odd reason when I had a friend build my gaming computer for me, he used a key that eventually became invalid for Windows 7, and when I called Microsoft about it, they said I had to buy a new one - I refused because I already spent a lot on Windows 7 before, when I gave the money to my friend to get it. I came to the conclusion he probably pocketed the money and installed a pirated copy of Windows 7 with a fake key... so, instead of getting a new copy of Windows I decided to switch to Linux.

Is anyone able to help me with this please? Hopefully guide me on what to do, in an easy way, step by step please? I know it can be a bit complicated to get me to understand everything, when it comes to this code centric OS... but I don't intend to be a coder or anything of that nature, so that's why. I can't really help it, my mind isn't able to understand some things very easily. But if you're willing to help me, I'd very much appreciate it.

Note: Some things I may say, might come off as a little bit of an attitude or too direct - but that's because I don't have any proper communication skills, so I don't realize they always come off that way and I don't know how to fix that. It is never my intention to be rude, or disrespectful in any way though, and if you take it that way I am sorry - and no offense is ever intended - I am a neutral person, because of my lack of social skills and I am always trying to improve - I was sheltered at a young age and never really learned those things, please forgive me.

#2 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 February 2015 - 14:02

Unfortunately I can't help with Java install on Linux.  But that may not be necessary.  While I know the game can be successfully played on Linux through the browser, that's probably not the best way.

Better then struggling with this issue, I suggest you avoid the whole issue by using the stand alone client.  The Linux players I know of all made the switch.  Can be downloaded here:

https://www.eldevin.com/play

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#3 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 14:59

I suggest you listen to @Irradiated's suggestion. Just use the stand alone client and as long as you have java installed it will work. [make sure it is up-to-date]

Also, the plugins depend on what browser you are using. Some of them are different and provide different functionalities.

#4 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 15:15

I already have the client downloaded, but it's just a .zip file. I don't see an install file inside of the zip. I don't know how to install it...

#5 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 15:32

I already have the client downloaded, but it's just a .zip file. I don't see an install file inside of the zip. I don't know how to install it...

Unzip it and inside will be "gbloader.jar" go to your command line and cd to the current directory then "java -jar gbloader.jar"

#6 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 15:34

Unzip it and inside will be "gbloader.jar" go to your command line and cd to the current directory then "java -jar gbloader.jar"

I don't understand that... I am new to linux. I know how to use sudo in the terminal to update a few things, but that's about it. I am using Zorin OS 9.

Did you mean run that file with Java? I tried to do that, and this is what it said: The file '/home/russ/.cache/.fr-555Bc3/gbloader.jar' is not marked as executable.  If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.  For more details, read about the executable bit.

Edited by rmrockit, 04 February 2015 - 15:36.

#7 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 15:51

I don't understand that... I am new to linux. I know how to use sudo in the terminal to update a few things, but that's about it. I am using Zorin OS 9.

Did you mean run that file with Java? I tried to do that, and this is what it said: The file '/home/russ/.cache/.fr-555Bc3/gbloader.jar' is not marked as executable.  If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.  For more details, read about the executable bit.

Yes so here is what you are going to type in:

"/home/russ/.cache/.fr-555Bc3/gbloader.jar"                 [are you sure this is what it extracted into? The path looks like it contains hidden folders that hold the cache for eldevin (the .cache is a hidden folder). I personally think you have the wrong folder on this one. When extracted it should go into a normal folder named eldevin_linux and inside will be the gbloader.jar you want to use.]

1. cd /home/russ/.cache/.fr-555Bc3/gbloader.jar   [or wherever you have it]

2. chmod +x gbloader.jar         sets the executable bit for all users so they can run it.

3. java -jar gbloader.jar            tells java to run the jar :)

Edited by 3kings, 04 February 2015 - 15:53.

#8 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 16:26

Yes so here is what you are going to type in:

"/home/russ/.cache/.fr-555Bc3/gbloader.jar"                 [are you sure this is what it extracted into? The path looks like it contains hidden folders that hold the cache for eldevin (the .cache is a hidden folder). I personally think you have the wrong folder on this one. When extracted it should go into a normal folder named eldevin_linux and inside will be the gbloader.jar you want to use.]

1. cd /home/russ/.cache/.fr-555Bc3/gbloader.jar   [or wherever you have it]

2. chmod +x gbloader.jar         sets the executable bit for all users so they can run it.

3. java -jar gbloader.jar            tells java to run the jar :)

I guess I didn't have it extracted, I opened it from within the archive manager. I extracted it now, and it's in Downloads folder, it made a folder of everything from the zip file and named it "eldevin_linux". I will try what you said.

EDIT: I changed the directory from "1." that you gave me, so it reflects where it is, and it told me no such directory exists, but it does. But I went in to the folder and right clicked on that file, and then went to properties from the tooltip that showed up, and went to a tab that had a little box I could tick to have it run as a program, then it worked. The games launcher showed up once I ran it. I think I'm good to go now. Thank you.

Sorry I have been a pain at understanding.

EDIT2: Well, I got into the game, and the client just freezes. I can't close it, or anything except minimize and resize it. I don't know how to force close it in Linux, this distro doesn't have a taskmanager like Windows does that lets me see processes and kil them... I don't know what to do. Should I make a new post about this?

Edited by rmrockit, 04 February 2015 - 16:38.

#9 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 16:47

EDIT2: Well, I got into the game, and the client just freezes. I can't close it, or anything except minimize and resize it. I don't know how to force close it in Linux, this distro doesn't have a taskmanager like Windows does that lets me see processes and kil them... I don't know what to do. Should I make a new post about this?

Are you sure it is freezing? Are you pressing the play button? Where does it get stuck? Can you take a screenshot? :)

Also you will have to use the "kill" command to force close it... or i think xkill will work as well. (Try typing xkill and then click on the eldevin window (make sure you click on the eldevin window and not anything else... it may do bad things :))).

#10 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 16:58

Are you sure it is freezing? Are you pressing the play button? Where does it get stuck? Can you take a screenshot? :)

Also you will have to use the "kill" command to force close it... or i think xkill will work as well. (Try typing xkill and then click on the eldevin window (make sure you click on the eldevin window and not anything else... it may do bad things :))).

It gets stuck during the "Splash" part of the loading into the game world, after making a character.

EDIT: I just tried again to run the games launcher and before I could click on the Play button, an error popped up, here is a screenshot of what I saw: http://i.imgur.com/OzEzdSR.png

It's quite large of a screenshot so I just gave you the link to it instead of putting it in the window here.

Edited by rmrockit, 04 February 2015 - 17:04.

#11 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:06

It gets stuck during the "Splash" part of the loading into the game world, after making a character.

I don't get it when running on linux. So there is 2 things i want you to do:

1. Go to the terminal and type: "java -version"  and paste the output back here

2. Go to the folder when you ran gbloader.jar from and it should... contain a log.txt file. Open that and post the contents here!

Thanks!

#12 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:09

Java Version:

java version "1.7.0_75"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.4) (7u75-2.5.4-1~trusty1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)

gbloader.jar log:

Version information loaded successfully
Header loaded successfully
Checksum loaded successfully
Loader is up to date
Library Path: /home/russ/Downloads/eldevin_linux
Attempting to update misc. libraries.
Local Cache: true
Net Cache: false
Updated Temporary Directory
<12:01:33:415> WARNING [GBApp-><init>: 44] No file for graphics config found at: graphicsConfig.ini
<12:01:33:425> WARNING [c-><init>: 50] No file for graphics config found at: graphicsConfig.ini
<12:01:34:148> WARNING [g->d: 38] Hardware attempt: 1
<12:01:34:188> MESSAGE [g->d: 38] Success on hardware attempt: 1
<12:01:34:377> MESSAGE [NativeConstructorAccessorImpl->newInstance0: -2] Launching Newt
<12:01:34:377> MESSAGE [e->start: 100] Start
<12:01:34:378> MESSAGE [bje->D: 102] Creating animator
Animator start on GLGLNewtProcessor.WindowThread-AWTAnimator#00: [started false, animating false, paused false, drawable 1, drawablesEmpty false]
<12:01:34:503> MESSAGE [GLDrawableHelper->init: 640] init
<12:01:34:506> MESSAGE [biu->u: 176] Initialising
<12:01:34:507> MESSAGE [c->c: 311] Internal resize request [1024x600]
<12:01:35:195> MESSAGE [ddz->b: 116] Login call 6
<12:01:35:595> MESSAGE [dhd->a: 67] Login call 7
<12:01:36:315> MESSAGE [deb->c: 91] Login call 8

#13 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:13

Everything looks good... No idea of the problem. Sorry.

#14 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:15

Everything looks good... No idea of the problem. Sorry.

I've had a problem with running some games through Wine too. Someone on another forum somewhere said they think it might be because my OS uses Compiz, but I don't even know what that is. I could try it on Mint, but I prefer Zorin OS 9.

Should I make a new post about this, and see if someone can help me?

Thank you for trying.

#15 livingtarget

livingtarget

Senior Programmer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:21

You'll want to assign more memory by default and use the same command that the .sh file uses:

java -Xmx1024M -jar gbloader.jar

There may be some problems with the OpenJDK version hanging when loading, so please try to install the Oracle Java version manually from here:

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

#16 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:22

Possibly just do that, and running games through wine is a complete Nightmare! It could be that your OS uses compiz... It is an OpenGL component... You need to install a different one and that is going to be quite the lengthy process. 

http://www.compiz.org/

or just do what he said ^^, might be a memory issue.

Edited by 3kings, 04 February 2015 - 17:23.

#17 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:27

You'll want to assign more memory by default and use the same command that the .sh file uses:

java -Xmx1024M -jar gbloader.jar

There may be some problems with the OpenJDK version hanging when loading, so please try to install the Oracle Java version manually from here:

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I have looked at that before I made the post actually, and was seeing about how to do it, but - it's a mess - I just don't understand. It's the most confusing thing I've seen yet for Linux. I am new to Linux. I don't intend to do anything with my machine but play games, and browse the web. I am not sure what to do. But I really wanna try this game and it seems nearly impossible for some reason, same as with Regnum Online, I can't play it either - I tried - it freezes up the entire system, and when I try to install games through Wine, same thing. It doesn't work, I have yet to be able to play games that aren't installed via the Software Manager built into my OS.

#18 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:32

I have looked at that before I made the post actually, and was seeing about how to do it, but - it's a mess - I just don't understand. It's the most confusing thing I've seen yet for Linux. I am new to Linux. I don't intend to do anything with my machine but play games, and browse the web. I am not sure what to do. But I really wanna try this game and it seems nearly impossible for some reason, same as with Regnum Online, I can't play it either - I tried - it freezes up the entire system, and when I try to install games through Wine, same thing. It doesn't work, I have yet to be able to play games that aren't installed via the Software Manager built into my OS.

Linux certainly takes some time to get used to, I can certainly help you more when I am done with classes/work. If you have a skype pm the name and i will add you! Also did you try @livingtarget's suggestion? It might fix the problem.

#19 rmrockit

rmrockit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:46

Linux certainly takes some time to get used to, I can certainly help you more when I am done with classes/work. If you have a skype pm the name and i will add you! Also did you try @livingtarget's suggestion? It might fix the problem.

I don't know how to do what he suggested. Neither option actually. It's confusing to me. I won't go back to Windows, so Linux is my only option. I just don't see the point in having to buy a new copy of an OS after a certain amount of time. Once I have an Os, I should be able to keep it - I don't understand that.

I don't have a Skype, or have it installed either. I have a headset with a mic though. I don't know if it works on Linux or not though, the sound seems to - but I don't know about the mic. Never tried. I haven't used any kind of voice chat for about a year now. Friends that use to be friends, are no longer anymore - and so I just have no one to use the features with.

#20 3kings

3kings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 17:56

I don't know how to do what he suggested. Neither option actually. It's confusing to me. I won't go back to Windows, so Linux is my only option. I just don't see the point in having to buy a new copy of an OS after a certain amount of time. Once I have an Os, I should be able to keep it - I don't understand that.

I don't have a Skype, or have it installed either. I have a headset with a mic though. I don't know if it works on Linux or not though, the sound seems to - but I don't know about the mic. Never tried. I haven't used any kind of voice chat for about a year now. Friends that use to be friends, are no longer anymore - and so I just have no one to use the features with.

Do what i said to do before:

1. cd /user/russ/pathToJar

2. [you won't need to chmod as you already did]

3. java -Xmx1024M -jar gbloader.jar

[the value 1024 can be changed if it still doesn't work... change it to:

java -Xmx2048M -jar gbloader.jar

and if that doesn't work then it is a completely different problem 2GB of memory is quite enough for the space :)]

Also to install skype on linux: 

apt-get install skype

or

yum install skype

Should work..

[I forget if your version uses yum or apt-get]

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: