Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2017 - 18:40

Unfortunately during some server maintenance today, we had to restore the Fallen Sword Wiki database from a backup. 

Due to an issue with the backup setup on the server it was on, we've had to restore it from a much older database backup from 2014.

You may find that a lot of the newer content is missing from the wiki and also if you've changed your password on the wiki since that backup you will need to either reset it or change it again.

#2 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 18:43

Koen i salute you and to all your lost work. It will not be forgotten mate!

#3 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 18:58

So concerned player here. What's stopping this from happening to the game?

Edited by EpicPiety, 28 July 2017 - 19:37.

#4 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 19:45

So much for the wiki. It will be missed. Guess we're stuck with just the UFSG now. What a shame. To think of all the hard work I did adding and fixing in it, for the last two years. So much time wasted. So sad! :(

Due to an issue with the backup setup on the server it was on, we've had to restore it from a much older database backup from 2014.

You may find that a lot of the newer content is missing from the wiki and also if you've changed your password on the wiki since that backup you will need to either reset it or change it again.

Yes Now I am Too worried about the game. What precautions are you taking? To ensure this Doesn't Happen to the game

Edited by cucullainn, 28 July 2017 - 19:49.

#5 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2017 - 19:46

We've checked the game backups and they're all working correctly. It was just an issue with the backup for the wiki.

#6 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 19:50

Well thank God.

< Keeping my fingers crossed

#7 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 19:56

We've checked the game backups and they're all working correctly. It was just an issue with the backup for the wiki.

Still very worried. I just hope the way the game is being backed up is fool proof. IE there's a plan B if plan A fails. Heck even a plan C.

#8 Tazarian

Tazarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Canada

Posted 28 July 2017 - 20:01

Well this really bites (and not in a great way.:)  Kone thanks for the work you put in the Wiki and, after explaining it to you about using a VP (voice program) to access it, making it useable for me to find the cords to move in the FS realm.

Hoof, this means you've just stopped me from being able to play FS since TUFSG doesn't work at all with JAWS (VP, look it up).  Thanks a bunch, unless by some miracle you get the data newer then 2014 working, I'll just be a hansome face in my guild.

#9 Ramendil

Ramendil

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 20:40

Has my message been censored?

#10 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2017 - 20:41

Has my message been censored?

If you encounter an issue with another player, please contact support:

https://www.huntedcow.com/support

#11 Ramendil

Ramendil

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 20:42

If you encounter an issue with another player, please contact support:

https://www.huntedcow.com/support

So in other words "yes".  

#12 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 21:23

We appreciate your contributions to the community ramendil. A shame HCS let this happen. Hopefully they will take note of this and prepare something to prevent this in the future. I sincerely hope. The wiki was a power resource for our new players entering the game. UFSG is more geared towards players who already have a understanding of the game. I hope they understand the severity of what just happened.

Edited by EpicPiety, 28 July 2017 - 21:24.

#13 activeh1

activeh1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Azerbaijan

Posted 29 July 2017 - 00:50

rem reading you were leaving the forums ,seem to be still here

all good here grim have used usfg since it came out ,not had a prob

stuff happens ,things break, get lost eaten by canibals

live with it move on or go else where

rem : you didnt pay for it did you

Edited by activeh1, 29 July 2017 - 00:56.

5aZzW0p.png,

#14 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:04

We appreciate your contributions to the community ramendil. A shame HCS let this happen. Hopefully they will take note of this and prepare something to prevent this in the future. I sincerely hope. The wiki was a power resource for our new players entering the game. UFSG is more geared towards players who already have a understanding of the game. I hope they understand the severity of what just happened.

I have always used UFSG over wiki.   and I recommend its use to all...   Wiki is player authored for the most part  HCS additions come mainly from UFSG....  

What happened to the wiki today was regrettable to be sure, but not the end of the world, and not a threat to the FS db, which has had safeguards in place since 2007-2008  (right Hoof?)

Edited by BadPenny, 29 July 2017 - 01:05.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#15 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:01

No good deed goes unpunished. What a shame for those that have spent time contributing to the wiki's content. My sympathies to you! Now watch content added go to near zero - a death blow for the wiki. C'est la vie.

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#16 uncola

uncola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:55

What the was the server maintenance for? New content or Fs features, maybe an event or over all FS stability, or maybe getting ready to implement more app functions?

#17 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:01

I have always used UFSG over wiki.   and I recommend its use to all...   Wiki is player authored for the most part  HCS additions come mainly from UFSG....  

What happened to the wiki today was regrettable to be sure, but not the end of the world, and not a threat to the FS db, which has had safeguards in place since 2007-2008  (right Hoof?)

Players know more about the game than the cows. Wiki had hand written guides about buffs and how they work with each other. There was a hand written guide for pretty much anything you wanted to know. There were guides that explained how stats worked. Recommended hunting setups which is pretty important. The list goes on. The ufsg has none of this. You have to have a base understanding of the game to use UFSG. Only real thing it's good for is looking up items for arena. Looking up hunting maps. Also quest guides for the new players. The Wiki can't even be compared to the UFSG it's totally different.

#18 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:19

rem reading you were leaving the forums ,seem to be still here

all good here grim have used usfg since it came out ,not had a prob

stuff happens ,things break, get lost eaten by canibals

live with it move on or go else where

rem : you didnt pay for it did you

You played before the UFSG came out? You have been playing for years :). You must of made it up to 88mph in a DeLorean  :huh: . I'm just very disappointed this happened to such a fine resource. Some players have spent hundreds of hours editing the wiki. I just hope they will get some sort of incentive to go through it all again. The cows should offer some sort of contest for the wiki. Maybe one of those +10 stam for 1 fsp flash sales too :).

Edited by EpicPiety, 29 July 2017 - 05:21.

#19 hades8840

hades8840

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:10

the game ending wouldnt be the end of the world either but would prob feel like it to some...the wiki might of been wrong on gear but like the old guide grace myself phool and many others updated it was better then the official guide as stuff was linked the problem with the UFSG is it has more holes then a sieve and no one fixes them..it has no guides the wiki housed the composing guides and scavenging what caves drops what and what composing lvl you got what at some of that has gone now ...

#20 ironlegs

ironlegs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:32

Why wasn't the server for the wiki backed up on a regular basis as all should be because of viruses and other threats from the internet in general . good basic "Server Maintenance" should always include a standard back up to avoid this exact thing from being left to happen and left to chance or happenstance. You all need to stand back and think about what you are doing to protect what is left of a very small loyal player base ... thanks for the chance to see what is important and what is not ..

20994140_10155723503491908_7273483756777894744_n.jpg

Edited by ironlegs, 27 August 2017 - 13:38.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: