Zorg

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:12

Having reviewed our decision about allowing animated avatars we've decided to try a new approach. All avatars have been converted to single frame static PNGs as I mentioned before. However, if you wish to re-upload your animated avatar you may now do so now.

Please bear in mind these will only be visible to players using browsers that support animated PNG files. We will also be removing avatars from players who upload flashy / annoying images so please report any you find.

As an added option users who find such avatars annoying will find a new setting in their preferences pages called 'Disable Animated Avatars'. Please use this if you do not wish to see any animated avatars across our site.

In other news we're planning to update the game tomorrow with the bounty board changes we posted in the news last week. We don't expect any downtime, however if this changes we'll let you know in advance.

~ Chief Technical Officer
Wayne 'Zorg' Robinson

#2 Josh1404

Josh1404

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:16

As an added option users who find such avatars annoying will find a new setting in their preferences pages called 'Disable Animated Avatars'. Please use this if you do not wish to see any animated avatars across our site.

Thank you so much. I will definitely be disabling these annoying avatars. :)

#3 Lutrafs

Lutrafs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:20

Having reviewed our decision about allowing animated avatars we've decided to try a new approach. All avatars have been converted to single frame static PNGs as I mentioned before. However, if you wish to re-upload your animated avatar you may now do so now.

Please bare in mind these will only be visible to players using browsers that support animated PNG files. We will also be removing avatars from players who upload flashy / annoying images so please report any you find.

Thank you for the update, but I still think there shouldn't be animated avatars because it does put that much more on the servers and slow the game down that much more.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#4 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:23

any thoughts on being able to disable map gifs like the waves on the kraken levels?? if i got a purple for every time i got seasick hunting that titan i would have a life supply of rum to hold me over..

#5 gvderzee

gvderzee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:26

any thoughts on being able to disable map gifs like the waves on the kraken levels?? if i got a purple for every time i got seasick hunting that titan i would have a life supply of rum to hold me over..

+1000

#6 januatu

januatu

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:41

You can disable gif animations in the browser settings, on most android phones it is a option in the browser menu.

And yay for adding a shorcut to an already existent option :twisted:

#7 RobM

RobM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • South Africa

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:44

Hello Zorg,

Thank you for the option to disable these when we feel it gets a bit much. I hope these animated avatars do not affect the performance of the game.

... Please bare in mind these will only be visible to players ...

My OCD (or CDO in the correct alphabetic order) itch returned when I saw bare instead of bear.

So not only is my CDO itching me, but I get an itch elsewhere thinking of bare, um .... stuff!

:roll:

#8 robinbanks

robinbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:49

Very good sensible approach :D .. cooler heads have prevailed.
thanks !!

#9 JBKing89

JBKing89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 11 July 2012 - 16:59

We will also be removing avatars from players who upload flashy / annoying images so please report any you find.

I believe this is a slippery slope we are headed down. Now, we can report images that are annoying? I can understand vulgar/offensive images being reported, but now, if someone thinks an avatar is of poor quality, it can be reported? Huge potential for abuse here.

Kudos for allowing a preference to turn off seeing animated images. Surely that is enough to satisfy everyone.

#10 callmeabc

callmeabc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 17:13

Thank you for keeping animated avatars while giving the option for people who don't like them to be removed. I am curious though, do animated avatars cause an increase on the server load? I would thank not since the file size limits are the same

Avatar upgrade - http://forums.hunted...showtopic=55576

GvG tracking ideas -

In the advisor - http://forums.hunted...showtopic=55250

In a building - http://forums.hunted...showtopic=53004

#11 boeffie

boeffie

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 17:18

Thanks a lot for allowing them again, i usually do not see them with chrome, but i do like to go watch svil's running devil on firefox, just to make me laugh.

I also agree with the post on the animated maps like the kraken, I understand it must have given the artist satisfaction, but they used to slow me down, and I do find them way more annoying than any avatar, as there is really no need to stare at anyone's avi if you don't want to, but maps can't always be avoided.

#12 YouNoSeeMe

YouNoSeeMe

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 17:53

Thank you love this feature "Disable Animated Avatars"

11ilrurjpg_zps06178485.png

#13 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 18:00

We will also be removing avatars from players who upload flashy / annoying images so please report any you find.

I believe this is a slippery slope we are headed down. Now, we can report images that are annoying? I can understand vulgar/offensive images being reported, but now, if someone thinks an avatar is of poor quality, it can be reported? Huge potential for abuse here.

Kudos for allowing a preference to turn off seeing animated images. Surely that is enough to satisfy everyone.

Looks like HCS have taken on board what you have said as the word *annoying* has been omitted from the rules that govern the upload of apng and only if they are overly flashy will they be removed. Them cows is learning :D

#14 Zorg

Zorg

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2012 - 18:13

Hello Zorg,

Thank you for the option to disable these when we feel it gets a bit much. I hope these animated avatars do not affect the performance of the game.

Our servers are fine, the only increase would be in bandwidth and the same file size limits are in place that we always had anyway.

Looks like HCS have taken on board what you have said as the word *annoying* has been omitted from the rules that govern the upload of apng and only if they are overly flashy will they be removed. Them cows is learning :D

I included the word annoying to cover other "annoying" animations like swirling, wavey lines, optical illusions, etc. It will of course be at our support departments discretion, we have no intention of removing poor quality avatars only ones deliberately designed to annoy players.

~ Chief Technical Officer
Wayne 'Zorg' Robinson

#15 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 July 2012 - 18:46

sounds like you just flip flopped on your decision ... ?!?!?!?! Guess it doesn't matter, since I have the preference to block them. thanks for that.

#16 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 18:59

I included the word annoying to cover other "annoying" animations like swirling, wavey lines, optical illusions, etc. It will of course be at our support departments discretion, we have no intention of removing poor quality avatars only ones deliberately designed to annoy players.

Fair enough Zorg, canny argue with that :)

#17 tyskersejt

tyskersejt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 19:21

While I'm not really for those animated avatars I think it is very nice to see the cows listening to feedback so quickly. And then just adding a button to disable those animated avatars for us who don't want to see them. Definitely the best way to do it! Thanks :)

#18 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 July 2012 - 19:31

Very good sensible approach :D .. cooler heads have prevailed.
thanks !!

To quote me in my youth, "no gough"! Please take a look at my avi, made by Beanopoly.
I'm rather proud of it. If done thematically and tastefully, they are great. I have others if you're interested in some more of Bean's work, take a look periodically. Static crap avis are done by me.

Thanks Cows. A vocal few should not rule the roost...and why do some players complain so bloody much?

btw...take a look at Ryebred's, hilarious [once he reuploads it].
Swearing, even starred out, is not acceptable on the forums. Cheers!

#19 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 July 2012 - 20:09

Amen to this!!!

I enjoy the ani-avi's. I won't lie and the ones that I find annoying, I simply don't look at, as I have the intelligence and eye coordination to do so, but I get violently ill when I hunt the kraken and I can't look anyplace else, as I can with an Avi.

#20 Splash

Splash

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:04

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess some things don't change. :wink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: