• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 20:34

UPDATE:  I'm leaving my original post for reference but there is an updated post a little ways down.

By loot sparkle I mean the color that sparkles from a bag that is on the ground...

Previous System

Blue:  Fusion powder.

Greenish:  Equipment item.

Non Color (Maybe Grayish): Mundane loot or other loot.

New System

Blue:  Fusion powder or mount crafting materials.

Greenish:  Equipment item or potion.

Non Color (Maybe Grayish):  Mundane loot or other loot.

Commentary

The only purpose to having a color system to loot bags to begin with (aside from some vanity function) is to cue the user into what sort of item he can expect in the bag.  Typically, as it works out in the game, the end function is that the user can bypass searching certain bags he isn't interested in taking the loot from.

The main problem with the new system is including the potion drops in the same color category as the equipment drops.  An equipment drop, at higher levels, is often 10-25 gold in value.  Potion drops are as worthless as the mundane loot.  I used to get excited when I'd see a bag color indicating equipment, but now I realize its probably a potion but have to open it anyway to be sure.  This change is leading me to waste time and has taken the excitement out of that bag color.  Please readjust the potions to be the same color as mundane loot (or create a new color if you choose).

Edited by Doja, 29 August 2014 - 06:27.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

#2 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:11

By loot sparkle I mean the color that sparkles from a bag that is on the ground...

Previous System

Blue:  Fusion powder.

Greenish:  Equipment item.

Non Color (Maybe Grayish): Mundane loot or other loot.

New System

Blue:  Fusion powder or mount crafting materials.

Greenish:  Equipment item or potion.

Non Color (Maybe Grayish):  Mundane loot or other loot.

Commentary

The only purpose to having a color system to loot bags to begin with (aside from some vanity function) is to cue the user into what sort of item he can expect in the bag.  Typically, as it works out in the game, the end function is that the user can bypass searching certain bags he isn't interested in taking the loot from.

The main problem with the new system is including the potion drops in the same color category as the equipment drops.  An equipment drop, at higher levels, is often 10-25 gold in value.  Potion drops are as worthless as the mundane loot.  I used to get excited when I'd see a bag color indicating equipment, but now I realize its probably a potion but have to open it anyway to be sure.  This change is leading me to waste time and has taken the excitement out of that bag color.  Please readjust the potions to be the same color as mundane loot (or create a new color if you choose).

Also make a purple sparkling bag for legendary drops that are super rare 1/20000-30000 

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#3 ernzor

ernzor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Badge
  • Australia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 22:50

Also change bag drop colors when you take out an item (say fusion powder) in a bag with more than one items. SO if you get a FP and a mundane and you take the FP. change the color to grey.

Or at least let us destroy bags. Could be another use for torches...

Naked pirate will be back!

When lvl 50 is here

#4 Eloom

Eloom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:01

you forgot gems and the green is disappointing when you are in a hard grind and waste time looting it and now i'm more of a guard buying potions to be sure they are crafted. 

milkyway-pan1.jpg

#5 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:19

Also change bag drop colors when you take out an item (say fusion powder) in a bag with more than one items. SO if you get a FP and a mundane and you take the FP. change the color to grey.

Or at least let us destroy bags. Could be another use for torches...

+1  I've thought of this multiple times before but it escaped my mind when making the post.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

#6 ZeusIV

ZeusIV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:30

i just pick up  everything, you can sell mundane loot and i like to leave the places as nice and tidy as i found them   :)

#7 EJK

EJK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 13:45

Also, quest loot is orange? But that ain't important in this thread.

Edit: they're yellow

Also make a purple sparkling bag for legendary drops that are super rare 1/20000-30000 

This would be very good to have, but I'm not sure about the name, as I don't think level 10 players should have legendary armor, but that's just my opinion, don't start to argue about it.

Edit: Removed what you wanted Irradiated. 

Edited by EJK, 29 August 2014 - 16:39.

IGN: Player. I usually think in longevity point of view.

#8 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 August 2014 - 16:03

Umm, weren't you trying to get rid of green bags with potions? You should change the "or potion(/food)" to the "previous system"?

What Doja said is correct.  The first list is the system Eldevin used when the game went live.  Go check the bag colors in game, it was changed awhile ago.  The second list is the new system Eldevin currently uses.  The suggestions are below that in the text.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#9 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:26

Ok, I realize I didn't have a proper grasp of the loot bag color system when I first made this post.  Loot bag color is clearly associated with item rarity.  Most people reading this thread already knew this.  Anyway, I want to reframe how I addressed this topic.

Loot Bag Sparkle System (Same As Always; No Old and New)

No Color (Gray): Mundane

White:  Common

Green: Fine

Blue:  Rare

Orange: Heroic

Commentary

I should have realized earlier that bag color represented rarity but I never really paid close attention.  What tipped me off tonight was when I opened a blue bag and found a rare item.

The problem is that previously whenever a bag would be green (fine) it would seem to hold an equipment item.  Now, time after time instead of an item it is a potion.  Traditionally, white and gray never generated any excitement but green would, as even fine equipment sells for good money.  Now the color green is usually a dud - a low value potion.

I realize now that creating a solution is more difficult because the loot color system makes good sense: it represents rarity.  But two thoughts come to mind: (1) Perhaps potions shouldn't have a rarity of "fine" since they are so low in value compared to fine equipment; (2) Perhaps fine potions should be removed from monster drops - for 99.9% of players they are no different than mundane loot, yet give off a different sparkle color for some reason.

@ZeusIV - I actually pick up everything too.  Guess I'm OCD like that.  ;)  I just liked the excitement of seeing green and that excitement is now gone. 

But many players do skip the mundane and common loot and would gladly skip fine potions but not fine equipment, so for those player's its a loss of time.

Edited by Doja, 29 August 2014 - 06:28.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

#10 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:21

We were actually planning on reducing the dropped potions to the common (or white) rank for pretty much the exact reasons you mentioned. That should be changed in time for our next update.

#11 TreeFrog

TreeFrog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 August 2014 - 17:15

And is it possible to lower their drop rate, like a whole lot. In an hour of farming fp I got 140 potions, thats just crazy.

#12 KeS

KeS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 September 2014 - 18:06

I want red to be the color of heroics; orange gets me confused between quest items and heroics

• EJK likes this

The world is cruel...as will I....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: