Photo

10 Day Countdown Until March!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#41 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:49

I totally have to disagree with that. WoW became successful through great marketing and availability (low system requirements). That combined with ongoing updates and content helped a lot. Some of the innovations credited to Blizzard were in fact player innovations. For example quest tracking was originally an addon built by a player, Blizzard later adapted that as part of the game.

In terms of content, the o3 (Original 3, UO, EQ, and AC) offered a much better experience. To this day any MMO I see is filtered through my AC experience and AC has essentially spoiled me.

Most 2nd and 3rd generation MMO's were greatly "dumbed down" in order to appeal to a larger audience and hence be able to earn more money. This trend started, sadly, with AC2 (one of the first 2nd gen MMO's) when Microsoft got her claws embedded in the project. How did gamers react?... Well today AC1 is still out and AC2 has long since been cancelled so it didn't work, AC still attracts gamers that want freedom and challenge. But for the most part, MMO developers of other games are making it easier on players and that kills the game for me. In another example, Earth & Beyond was cancelled due to trailing interest in the game. How is that a older game made it while a newer game like E&B didn't? E&B lacked content and thought pretty graphics was all players *really* cared about, it also had *no* PvP. And this was during a time when there were not as many MMO's to choose from (2004).

A good looking game attracts attention, but it's longevity is based on content, and if you have both....

So what was that unique - unheard - unseen of - content WoW came up with?

#42 Whane The Whip

Whane The Whip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:01

So what was that unique - unheard - unseen of - content WoW came up with?

I didn't say it had unique content nor did the context of my post hinge on this.

Official list of known issues.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

#43 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:40

I didn't say it had unique content nor did the context of my post hinge on this.

The argument was originality/uniqueness vs "borrowing" good features/game content from another MMO. The idea was that other games/companies did it and the product was succesful, in spite of not bringing something totally new to the table ;)

#44 Whane The Whip

Whane The Whip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:13

The argument was originality/uniqueness vs "borrowing" good features/game content from another MMO. The idea was that other games/companies did it and the product was succesful, in spite of not bringing something totally new to the table  ;)

Oh I see what you mean. I misunderstood you, I was certain that you were attributing the success of the game to borrowed content so my argument was that the success of WoW is primarily attributed to other reasons as most MMO's have borrowed content, yet only a few succeed. A successful game that has borrowed content does not mean the game succeeded because it has borrowed content any more than a successful person that has white hair does not mean they are successful because they have white hair.

Put in other terms. A best selling novel is not necessarily a good book, best selling novels are often the result of excellent marketing and has little to do with the actual story. If Oprah puts her seal on a book, sales will skyrocket, but that's because Oprah is popular, not the book.

#45 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:30

I agree - that's why a good number of good MMOs flopped: without good marketing and a sharp publisher, any game is bound to fail regardless of its content.

#46 Whane The Whip

Whane The Whip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:11

For anyone that wants to obsess over the countdown to beta launch, here you go:

http://countingdownt...ountdown/251929 (Set to the exact hour)

If you have a site and want to embed the countdown clock, then here is the code:

<div style="background:#000;width:350px; height:260px;font:0px sans-serif;text-align:left;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="cdtw" width="350" height="240" style="outline:none"><param name="movie" value="http://countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="eid=251929" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed name="cdtw" src="http://countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" flashvars="eid=251929" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" style="outline:none"></embed></object><br/> <a href="http://countingdownto.com" style="font:bold 8px Arial;padding-left:19px;color:#444;">WEBSITE COUNTDOWN CLOCK</a></div>

It looks like this:

2s6pzed.jpg

#47 God

God

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:36

Looks like Beta will begin tomorrow....

#48 Whane The Whip

Whane The Whip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:45

Looks like Beta will begin tomorrow....

Yep, at around 9am Eastern some lucky souls will find a way out of the void after all these years.

#49 Xohn

Xohn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:01

tumblr_m3j8f63hRZ1r164byo1_400.gif

OMGOMGOMG1MOREDAYORSOOMGOMG

[also, grats to anyone who is picked tomorrow-ish]

.meow.

#50 Minerexstacy

Minerexstacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:01

Beta will be open at 8 AM for me :P and... ^ LOL

Come join me at my YouTube - Mcflapphypants

153qv6c.png

Come help build the wikia by clicking > HERE

#51 Ziggeh

Ziggeh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:24

Gonna send out the invites at midnight my time lol :P

#52 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:07

It will be 2pm for me.

Not a bad time. :)

*crosses fingers* :P

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#53 wizz

wizz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:36

It will be 2pm for me.

Not a bad time. :)

*crosses fingers* :P

+1 :-)

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

#54 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:10

I'm just curious why a UK company (I believe anyway) Is issuing times in US  :blink:

Something to do with the server I guess idk  <_<

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#55 Whane The Whip

Whane The Whip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:17

I'm just curious why a UK company (I believe anyway) Is issuing times in US  :blink:

I don't recall exactly where, but I believe that they said it was based on the location of the server. I suppose that means the first server is on or near the East coast.

#56 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:29

Apart from the location of the server for the beta, I have no idea.

But I guess it's in line with some of their spelling. They're mixing in a lot of US English, so it's not a big surprise they are also mixing in US time zones now and then... :rolleyes:

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#57 Othimos

Othimos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:36

Wake up in da morning wantin me Eldevin, what do i find in me emails ooooh ooh a beta key.

If only, :D

Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

#58 l3fty

l3fty

Senior Artist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 20:16

Yeah I think we have quite a heavy American user base from the other games, so that's probably why it's been in EST. It'll be about 2pm for us in Scotland so we have the morning to sort out any final issues ;) Also if it's an hour or so late give us a break, nobody likes Mondays ;)

L3fty
Senior 3D Artist

#59 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 21:01

Yeah I think we have quite a heavy American user base from the other games, so that's probably why it's been in EST. It'll be about 2pm for us in Scotland so we have the morning to sort out any final issues ;) Also if it's an hour or so late give us a break, nobody likes Mondays ;)

Mondays are amazzzzzing  :ph34r:

Ahh clears up that question then   :rolleyes:

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#60 Cubaza

Cubaza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 March 2013 - 21:12

Soooo many members online :D .. everyone must be excited :D