Photo

Death Penalty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Kaendor

Kaendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Badge

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:43

I have been wondering, since I see alot of conversation about PvP and PvE. What is going to be the Death penalty?. I have seen different kinds of death penalties around various mmorps. What I´ve seen are:

Loose Items - Not my favourite at all since you loose things that might have involved alot of effort to get.

Damages Equipment -  Doable if you can repair your equipment fully on an npc for some money.

Soul Damage - Basically the same Idea of the Equipment damage, but instead of getting your equipment

damaged, you are a bit weaker every time that you die. To fix this, you have to heal your soul, paying to a soul mender to do it.

Loose experience and money - A big pain most of times, and even more at high levels.

I think that the death penalty should balance in how easy/hard would be to be defeated ingame. Of course, nobody likes to loose experience, money and/or items. even less if you die really easy ingame.

SquirrelSig_zps7b59b79d.png

#2 Ziggeh

Ziggeh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 13:09

Good question!

I am thinking it may be similar to WoW with item damage, only guessing but it seems a fair way to do it.

#3 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 13:37

Depends on what end of the blade you are...

If someone force PK you and you get killed it's unfair to get a death penalty - yet for some strange reason some MMOs did/do that making the PKing even more unfair because the victim gets punished for no reason.

If you attack someone and he kills you in self defence, then maybe death penalty might make sense since you get punished for attacking other players.

BUT what I don't understand is why should a death penalty for PvP be implemented? If you don't risk losing xp/items/gold/etc then even if someone wants to ruin your day you won't suffer a bit (except maybe for a free trip to town :P).

What I think is more important is limiting the number of attacks someone could make on a specific player - in order to avoid player griefing. Like after you kill a player, you won't be able to attack him for at least 1 - 2 hours, or maybe you'd be allowed to kill it 1 or 2 times per day. I've seen some idiots killing the same poor guy over and over again simply because they could and that player was too low lvl to retaliate - and that is something that really needs to be sorted out and sanctioned. Now keep in mind that I'm talking about a possible open PvP map/zone, not casual or consented PvP. Arenas, duels, etc should be limitless. 

#4 Seagull

Seagull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:29

I think that damaged but repairable gear (repairable via crafting skills by other players, self, and npcs [for a price]) is the way to go as far as far as death penalties go, but with the possibility of  being revived by a healer in the party; a revival which would negate any damage to the gear (if it occurs within a specified time frame).

This would give crafting skills an additional use.  Rather than only creating things, they also become useful for repairing said creations.  I believe that this would be another feature that would contribute to a flourishing economy and another example of player to player interaction.

#5 Xohn

Xohn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:59

For PvE, I would love if the death penalty was only a durability hit and maybe a respawn timer. For PvP in an arena with a ranking system, I think there should be no death penalty(other than a loss in rating). For PvP in a riskier place, like a Wilderness-type of place, the death penalty could be much more severe(item loss). Just a few opinions.

.meow.

#6 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 02 March 2013 - 18:59

For PvE, I would love if the death penalty was only a durability hit and maybe a respawn timer. For PvP in an arena with a ranking system, I think there should be no death penalty(other than a loss in rating). For PvP in a riskier place, like a Wilderness-type of place, the death penalty could be much more severe(item loss). Just a few opinions.

Durability loss and re-spawn timer is the Diablo death system :P. Not sure if you got it from there but it's an ARPG not an MMO. I don't think durability loss and re-spawn timers would work very well in an MMO. I've seen the durability but I've never seen a re-spawn time increase in an MMO.. It just doesn't seem like theres much 'risk'

--

There has to be risk in some sense if there's not it's just not fun for the good part of players. Personally I wouldn't want a game where if you played pve you could just camp because you knew you were safe, making items worth less and less because they could be obtained easier and pvp would not be fun if you could not get a juicy reward like the opponents items or points to spend on items.

So here I think penantlys should be 'Harsh'.. I mean it is 'Death' you come back to life so it's not all that bad :P

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#7 Xohn

Xohn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 20:19

Durability loss and re-spawn timer is the Diablo death system :P. Not sure if you got it from there but it's an ARPG not an MMO. I don't think durability loss and re-spawn timers would work very well in an MMO. I've seen the durability but I've never seen a re-spawn time increase in an MMO.. It just doesn't seem like theres much 'risk'

--

There has to be risk in some sense if there's not it's just not fun for the good part of players. Personally I wouldn't want a game where if you played pve you could just camp because you knew you were safe, making items worth less and less because they could be obtained easier and pvp would not be fun if you could not get a juicy reward like the opponents items or points to spend on items.

So here I think penantlys should be 'Harsh'.. I mean it is 'Death' you come back to life so it's not all that bad :P

Respawn timer(e.g. you can't play for ~15 minutes unless someone revives you! mwahaha~) was just a little suggestion if the durability loss was too soft. We can have different areas with different death penalties(higher level areas, more risk with warnings before entering of course). But, there shouldn't be a too harsh death penalty for just roaming around a "normal" PvE area and die for whatever reason. Definition of "normal" varies.

.meow.

#8 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:52

Just experienced the server going down in FS, and it made me wonder.  If i am in Eldevin kicking badie butt when the server goes down and am not around when it comes back up, will the badies still be attacking me?  :blink:

Bryn -  Prophet - lvl 45

Ullr -   Ranger -   lvl 32

Thud - Warrior - lvl 16

Payn -  Templar - lvl 16

Jinx -  Mage -      lvl 10

__________________________________________________________________________________

Foraging - 45 | Farming - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Skinning - 34 | Fishing - 45 | Crystal - 45

Alchemy - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Tailoring - 9 | Leather - 9

#9 Vale

Vale

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:41

I personally am fine with  durability damage upon death with the ability to repair your items at a npc or maybe even repair it yourself if you have the right materials or use an extra weapon of the same type to repair it at a anvil maybe? just a slight suggestion.  :P

I am okay-ish about loosing exp and some money upon death but like said before, it gets irritating.

#10 D4VYJONES

D4VYJONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:43

I seriously hope that I won't lose item when I die because I REALLY hate that. :(

Loosing exp and item damage is acceptable. I also like the idea of revival time. Maybe you can make if player A killed you, for example your base revival time is 1 minute, now you need to wait 1 minute 30 sec to revive. If you get killed by player B, the time increase to 2 minutes, and keep on increasing if you get killed by more players. The time will reduce after the player that killed you goes offline. :)

#11 D4VYJONES

D4VYJONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:48

What I think is more important is limiting the number of attacks someone could make on a specific player - in order to avoid player griefing. Like after you kill a player, you won't be able to attack him for at least 1 - 2 hours, or maybe you'd be allowed to kill it 1 or 2 times per day. I've seen some idiots killing the same poor guy over and over again simply because they could and that player was too low lvl to retaliate - and that is something that really needs to be sorted out and sanctioned. Now keep in mind that I'm talking about a possible open PvP map/zone, not casual or consented PvP. Arenas, duels, etc should be limitless. 

But what if the victim retaliate? Will he just take hits and unable to hit back? Also, if he can't attack the victim, the victim will just walk around him and makes him angry but unable to do anything.

#12 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:47

But what if the victim retaliate? Will he just take hits and unable to hit back? Also, if he can't attack the victim, the victim will just walk around him and makes him angry but unable to do anything.

You've made your point when you first killed the guy - regardless of him retaliating or not. If you attack the guy countless times, you're a griefer not a PvPer. Hence my suggestion for limiting forced attacks.

#13 l3fty

l3fty

Senior Artist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:15

Just experienced the server going down in FS, and it made me wonder.  If i am in Eldevin kicking badie butt when the server goes down and am not around when it comes back up, will the badies still be attacking me?  :blink:

If the server goes down, you wont be logged in anymore. When you next choose to login again however you might get attacked by them ;p

L3fty
Senior 3D Artist

#14 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:55

Some MMOs (ex: Hero Online) have a disconnection delay; you were not able to attack the mobs/players anymore, but the "disconnected" message would pop up after at least 10 - 15 sec; during all that time your toon was in reality still logged in and getting dmg. So of course you'd find your char dead when logging back in. Would this also be the case for Eldevin, or the disconnection would instantly log you off? 

#15 D4VYJONES

D4VYJONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:22

You've made your point when you first killed the guy - regardless of him retaliating or not. If you attack the guy countless times, you're a griefer not a PvPer. Hence my suggestion for limiting forced attacks.

Just make a pvp announcement when you kill someone. For example, "Player A defeated Player B in Eldevin Castle (X coordinate, Y coordinate)". Other pvper will join the fight and there'll be no griefing.

#16 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:47

If the server goes down, you wont be logged in anymore. When you next choose to login again however you might get attacked by them ;p

Some MMOs (ex: Hero Online) have a disconnection delay; you were not able to attack the mobs/players anymore, but the "disconnected" message would pop up after at least 10 - 15 sec; during all that time your toon was in reality still logged in and getting dmg. So of course you'd find your char dead when logging back in. Would this also be the case for Eldevin, or the disconnection would instantly log you off? 

Both things have certain benefits.

• Immediately logged out means you will be alive when you lose connection and are logged back in.
  • Delayed logged out means people with less stable connections don't have to log in every few minutes.

How about players can choose their delayed log out time in their preferences?

• That way a player with a slightly unstable connection might choose a fairly high delay, so he/she play the game quite smoothly, but has a little risk of dying if he/she loses connection during a battle.
  • And a player with a very stable connection might choose a short delay (or none) so their gameplay is also very smooth, and there is close to no risk of dying when losing connection.

;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#17 Xohn

Xohn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 00:00

I don't think people should be able to avoid death just by disconnecting(because this will most likely be abused to not be given the death penalty). After someone logs off or disconnects, there should be a delay before the in game character actually disappears from the server. Every time the character takes damage, the delay is reset until it dies. The next time the person logs in, they will find their character dead. Sure it may be frustrating to people who suddenly dc during a fight for whatever reason, but this only makes it fair.

.meow.

#18 livingtarget

livingtarget

Senior Programmer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 March 2013 - 00:22

Hi folks,

I'm here to shed a little bit more light on the penalties associated with death.

We do indeed have a danger time when it detects you are in combat, so you cannot log out to cheat death if you are about to die. This only happens if you are in combat. During this danger time you can still log off but your character will remain on the server for X amount of seconds.

When you die you will receive durability loss. When your items break they will lose all magical stats but retain their damage. You can repair at a variety of places in the world, mostly blacksmiths.

Every time you resurrect at a resurrection shrine you will receive a timed debuff that gives you a slight reduction in experience. This can be removed by the priests of life near the shrines by paying gold or you can unlock the resurrection shrine by completing the associated quest.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

#19 D4VYJONES

D4VYJONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:35

Hi folks,

I'm here to shed a little bit more light on the penalties associated with death.

We do indeed have a danger time when it detects you are in combat, so you cannot log out to cheat death if you are about to die. This only happens if you are in combat. During this danger time you can still log off but your character will remain on the server for X amount of seconds.

But that means we have very high risk to log out in hunting area. In a game that I played before, when you log out there will be loading bar, after it is full you can log out immediately and safely. If you get attacked when logging out, the bar will be interrupted and you have to start over again. If you don't log out properly, for example disconnecting the internet, your character will stay in the game for a few minutes and unable to log in for that period and may get killed by monster or other players.

#20 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:39

Hi folks,

When you die you will receive durability loss. When your items break they will lose all magical stats but retain their damage. You can repair at a variety of places in the world, mostly blacksmiths.

Every time you resurrect at a resurrection shrine you will receive a timed debuff that gives you a slight reduction in experience. This can be removed by the priests of life near the shrines by paying gold or you can unlock the resurrection shrine by completing the associated quest.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Sounds like a thought out system...

Oh God of the Internet, we pray to you for good & steady connections...God help us ^^

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: