Photo

wilderness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 SoDox

SoDox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:19

Ok so I have played runescape for about 9 years now. and the best and most exciting thing about that game was the wilderness for pvp the ability to wonder around and "hunt" for players to kill and profit off of in the woods. It was kind of like gambling in runescape because you could die and lose your items to And as you know everyone is addicted to gambling. Will there be something like this in eldevin not necessarily a wilderness but a place for pvp to obtain gold or items off the player you killed.

Or maybe even a duel arena where players can stake gold for fights

#2 XzarDragon

XzarDragon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:58

I believe theres going to be a area similar to the duel arena , something like a Colisseum.

alas theres little info on it yet so we might wait and see until the beta comes out , hopefully very soon and before 2012 ends :rolleyes:

#3 f0xydam

f0xydam

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 16:40

l3fty said so: '' We have an arena in Eldevin City which is set up both as a PVP arena and as a group PVE (Player Versus Environment) encounter. In the PVE mode you fight waves of creatures, mini bosses and boss creatures. It's not limited to daily use, you will likely find people grinding it for loot, money and experience in fact.''
So yes, there will be a PvP place obviously :)

#4 SoDox

SoDox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 17:03

I understand there will be a pvp the duel arena I imagine it like other arenas in other games like drakensang or WOW. you are limited too a 3v3 or 5v5. I am talking about a massive area like the wilderness in runescape where there is no structure or limit unrestricted pvp....you just kill who you see also walking in the area. Almost the same thing has going out of the town or village in medieval days...you get attacked by thugs and bandits it is realistic. :) Another thing is what reward do you get for pvping...Would it be gold..other players items.. etc

This is what made runescape so unique and successful.

#5 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:49

I personally would like to have massive area in the game that is PvP, but it wouldnt' be a good idea to have it near the early levels. It's all still to be discussed, but maybe an idea like main areas outside the 'Nature' zone, such as 'Dark' and 'Blood' could be PvP to enhance their dangerous reputations?
Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

#6 f0xydam

f0xydam

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:24

I personally would like to have massive area in the game that is PvP, but it wouldnt' be a good idea to have it near the early levels. It's all still to be discussed, but maybe an idea like main areas outside the 'Nature' zone, such as 'Dark' and 'Blood' could be PvP to enhance their dangerous reputations?

Yeah why not? I would prefer two different wilderness areas which are big and wide areas, yea, and they would be located one at the northernmost point of the map and the other at the southernmost point of the map. This was just my idea so don't hate. :D Or maybe a HUGE area in the middle of the map? Also the warning signs are needed because of the risk of death.

#7 Crasken

Crasken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 13:49

If the world map is similar to the description of the lore on Eldevin's website, dark area and blood area are both located in far south, therefore making them pretty good choices, they are hard to reach by low level characters assuming that levels of common mobs increase the further you travel from Eldevin city.
And I agree that having large PvP-enabled area would be dangerous and danger always means excitement. Adding some stuff, like story line -supporting quests for high level players in such areas would be very interesting.

#8 Seagull

Seagull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:44

Although I am not a fan of being forced into a PvP enviroment, an optional arena could be interesting and fun (even more so if there is a potential for rewards).

#9 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 January 2013 - 13:26

I'm not a fan of PvP either.
But an area that players can choose to enter to PvP sounds all right to me.
I'm just not a big fan of making it mandatory. So if such an area will be in the Blood or Dark realms then I hope it doesn't encompass the entire area; just part of it which isn't crucial to levelling/questing. ;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#10 Othimos

Othimos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31

Aboslutly PVP must not be thrust upon people who do not like it ..so optional areas .. maybe even an opt in out button so you can travel in areas that contain PVP without the threat of being hit

Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

#11 D4VYJONES

D4VYJONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:59

Aboslutly PVP must not be thrust upon people who do not like it ..so optional areas .. maybe even an opt in out button so you can travel in areas that contain PVP without the threat of being hit

But where's the fun then?

#12 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:50

The fun is that people can choose which parts of the game they play.

A lot of people don't like PvP. For them an area where they have to go AND are forced to PvP is absolutely no fun for them.

If PvP is somehow optional then it can be fun for all kinds of players. ;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49

Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#13 l3fty

l3fty

Senior Artist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:14

I see benefits in both sides of this discussion ;) Finding a middle road if we implement some sort of world based PVP would be ideal. A couple of examples come to mind, EVE and Warhammer Online. Both these games have world based PVP, but isolated to specific areas which players are not required to venture into. In EVE the PVP regions of space are more profitable in terms of ore to mine, enemies to kill and territory to control for various benefits, but there's nothing a regular player would need out in those places. In Warhammer the PVP areas are areas of the map where PVP is enabled ( and clearly indicated ), some quests will lead you in there to perform PVP activities but again they can be completely circumvented by a PvE player. Our PVP realms will only be basically functional during the beta (if they are accessible at all), but we will begin to get an idea during that time what works and what doesn't. Clearly an interesting and controversial topic this PVP ;)
L3fty
Senior 3D Artist

#14 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:40

I see benefits in both sides of this discussion ;) Finding a middle road if we implement some sort of world based PVP would be ideal. A couple of examples come to mind, EVE and Warhammer Online. Both these games have world based PVP, but isolated to specific areas which players are not required to venture into. In EVE the PVP regions of space are more profitable in terms of ore to mine, enemies to kill and territory to control for various benefits, but there's nothing a regular player would need out in those places. In Warhammer the PVP areas are areas of the map where PVP is enabled ( and clearly indicated ), some quests will lead you in there to perform PVP activities but again they can be completely circumvented by a PvE player. Our PVP realms will only be basically functional during the beta (if they are accessible at all), but we will begin to get an idea during that time what works and what doesn't.

Sounds like a good middle road solution. l3fty. ;)

Clearly an interesting and controversial topic this PVP ;)

If you call it controversial based on this thread then apparently you haven't seen PvP discussions in other games. :P

Prophet    
Warrior  

#15 Plexus37

Plexus37

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 00:07

Im with Davy, I am not a big PvPer, but the risk and chance of being attacked, aswell as the opportunity to hunt people as you like does make it far more interesting. These are fighting games at the end of the day.......... there is always scrabble!!!

#16 Leo

Leo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 13:35

let's hope it isn't just a useless arena

#17 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 00:07

I understand there will be a pvp the duel arena I imagine it like other arenas in other games like drakensang or WOW. you are limited too a 3v3 or 5v5. I am talking about a massive area like the wilderness in runescape where there is no structure or limit unrestricted pvp....you just kill who you see also walking in the area. Almost the same thing has going out of the town or village in medieval days...you get attacked by thugs and bandits it is realistic. :) Another thing is what reward do you get for pvping...Would it be gold..other players items.. etc

This is what made runescape so unique and successful.

I don't know how Wilderness works nowadays (it's been a while since I've last played RS), but when it was initially released it actually had a very well thought system: players would enter (after the repeated warning of being about to enter an open PvP zone), and advance through various zones. In the first levels of the wilderness you could only attack players of equal level - so basically it was more like a dueling area. The further you went in, the more the cap lvl between players was stretching so in deep wildy you could end up fighting a player 40 - 50 levels higher, or facing a full archers pack (very common). Ppl were only wearing cheap gear and no gold due to the drop upon death rules. So in the end (apart from the killing) all you could hope for was catching a few stranded high lvl miners coming back to town or looting some runes. Only the idiots would walk in full rune/dragon/god gear - unless you were one of the top PvPers...and even then... :) 

#18 Whane The Whip

Whane The Whip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:36

Ah yes... the PvP thread.

PvP is good end-game material for an MMO; it usually represents the greatest single challenge to the gamer and what's a game without a good challenge. But that certainly does not mean it's not valued from the beginning. The challenge offered by another player is often far more interesting than the challenge offered by game mechanics. PvP is particularly fun for guilds in GvG warfare and friends and enemies alike gives PvP a grand purpose. 

I love open-pvp and I've always felt arenas to be a cheap substitute, it's not the same, not even close. That being said, PvP should be consensual.  One option is to have PvP servers of varying degrees, for example: a server that is 100% open PvP anywhere except instanced zones, or maybe open PvP everywhere except within towns. Those that don't care for open PvP can stick with the "care bear" servers (as they are traditionally named) and venture into arenas from time to time if they wish. Those that want a hard core PvP experience would play on the "red" server(s). I also like the ideas presented by others, like having zones with PvP enabled, provided it isn't just some tiny band aid zone to appease PvP fans. It would only be a viable challenge in my eyes if there were several PvP zones spread throughout including zones needed to complete quests or get crafting materials.... do you need item x to complete your epic sword...? Be prepared to fight, not only NPC's, but players too.

I'm sure it will take time, but I hope that there will eventually be something more than just "arena" type PvP. That's my 2 cents.

Official list of known issues.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

#19 SDGR

SDGR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:54

Forcing PvE players into PvP zones would only result in a regular supply of fresh bait to the PK sharks. PvP needs to be completely separated from PvE. 

#20 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 March 2013 - 15:54

I don't think both should be entirely separate.. 

Just because people don't want to 'die' and lose items does not mean having pvp separate from pve will be fun it could be very bland and boring.. 

I enjoy pvp but not just the one on one where you know you're facing your opponent. I like to be able to sneak up or stealthy attack someone who is being harmless.. It's just a big sense of freedom and opens up more strategies of game play, not to mention some resources may be in the 'Open areas' and harder to obtain making the economy more stable for rarer resources since they will be more risky to obtain.

Yes no one wants to die when they're not intentionally pvping but without any risk it's just a "Fairy game" You will be fluttering through everything with everyone else knowing you are never in danger.

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: