#1 ComradeLewis

ComradeLewis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 March 2014 - 22:10

Quests should tell you where they start. I spent an hour looking for the starting point for "Old ideas, new applications." I still haven't found it either. I asked in world chat 3 times and got answers that lead me nowhere. I searched Google for it and an old post on the forums says "Alchemist Fermii." That does not help at all. You can't do /who Alchemist Fermii, or /where Alchemist Fermii.

Why exactly is it a "cool" feature to make people waste their time checking every NPC in the game for the starting point of quests?

Suggestion: Clicking any grayed out quest in the Quest Journal should both tell you the starting location and allow tracking to the location.

Common sense right?

11/29/13 - 4/29/14 | 4/25/15 - 5/25/15

#2 TheAmazingGuy

TheAmazingGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2014 - 22:27

This would be very helpful and i'd be happy to see it implemented.

#3 zargon

zargon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 22:37

He is in the Arcane Counsel. When you go there, make your first right, follow the path when it turns to the  the south. Then take the last path to your right before you reach the portal that would take you further south. He will be though that door where that path leads.

Edited by zargon, 21 March 2014 - 22:38.

#4 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 22:39

Quests should tell you where they start. I spent an hour looking for the starting point for "Old ideas, new applications." I still haven't found it either. I asked in world chat 3 times and got answers that lead me nowhere. I searched Google for it and an old post on the forums says "Alchemist Fermii." That does not help at all. You can't do /who Alchemist Fermii, or /where Alchemist Fermii.

Why exactly is it a "cool" feature to make people waste their time checking every NPC in the game for the starting point of quests?

Suggestion: Clicking any grayed out quest in the Quest Journal should both tell you the starting location and allow tracking to the location.

Common sense right?

i actualy suggested that back in beta, along with another tab that showed ALL available quests.. as neither of the 2 current tabs we have do.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#5 chase010

chase010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 23:21

I agree

#6 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:39

I'd say its helpful to get to learn a area or areas well,and to tell you where the most common areas for quests are. 1)army barracks 2)arcane sanctum 3)eldevin city 4)area with closest lvl requirement to your current level(or level for the quest I should say).

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#7 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:20

I'd say its helpful to get to learn a area or areas well,and to tell you where the most common areas for quests are. 1)army barracks 2)arcane sanctum 3)eldevin city 4)area with closest lvl requirement to your current level(or level for the quest I should say).

and then all the ones hidden in the little cottege off in the woods, or the lost soldier off by himself, or in a little cave i'ld have no other reason going into....

there was several quests i stumbled on by accedent running the wrong direction heck i'm still finding quests i missed lol... it shouldn't be an easter egg hunt to find the quests to accept  imo....  :) 

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#8 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge
  • Estonia

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:56

Or it could be left up to fansites and such (like this forum) to help you locate quest points that you really can't find on your own. To have it all available in your quest journal might be a little too easy. The Bulletin Board quests already point you towards new quest locations in places you might not think to visit on your own.

The Eldevin Wiki quest articles will all have their starting point listed (example), but most quests don't yet have articles...

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#9 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 March 2014 - 13:17

I don't agree with this.  Maybe it's old school, but for me exploring the world is part of the game, and not spelling everything out encourages it.  You never know what turtles you'll find around the corner (ninja turtles).   (I found the assassin quest back when it was a challenge.)

For quest lines such as this and the Racketeers I periodically check back when passing, especially since the NPC has told me there will be more later following 'Volunteering is Mandatory'.  I wouldn't describe it as a 'cool' feature, but it's part of the the immersion, that I don't magically know that the NPC is ready for my return.

I'd even take it a step further (both these suggestions were originally made by others).  It makes sense to know exactly where you're going when delivering a letter.  But some quests call for searching ('more then meets the eye' -> 'find the iris').  For these quests I'd make sure the clues were sufficient and skip the marker.

I'd also add hidden quests.  Where the starting point moves around randomly and only a few lucky people get it.  Or where you have to perform some minimally or undocumented action (the claw on Crystal Coast is an example of this).

Edited by Irradiated, 22 March 2014 - 13:25.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#10 EJK

EJK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 18:25

I agree fully with Humor, Akadria and Irradiated!

You already can track many quests, which makes you just blind follow the arrow. 

I would even go as far as Irradiated says, but as there are people like you I think this system is good!

IGN: Player. I usually think in longevity point of view.

#11 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:10

In my opinion the issue is lack of continuity. Some quests tell you where to go - some show you - some tell you to come back later - some don't - some aren't marked. The ones in Illaneska are especially difficult to figure out if you're going through them for the first time.

Guild Founder of The Golden Horde

Zshmaendal - Level 45 Prophet | Superfluous - Level 35 Warrior | Ulysses - Level 13 Ranger

Louis - Level 8 Warrior | Ephemeral - Level 12 Assassin | Connotation - Level 8 Mage

Crystal Cutting - 9 | Fishing - 10 | Forestry - 10 | Skinning - 8 | Farming - 19 | Foraging - 28 | Prospecting - 16

Alchemy - 36 | Cooking - 11 | Leatherworking - 4 | Weaponsmithing - 5 | Armorsmithing - 7 | Jewelry - 6 | Tailoring - 16

#12 ComradeLewis

ComradeLewis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 23:26

It's not a matter of exploring. A person's mind generally can't remember the location of every NPC in the game. That's simply not practical. If the general location is not provided, it's nothing but frustration. No player should have to walk around for 1-2 hours to start a quest.

11/29/13 - 4/29/14 | 4/25/15 - 5/25/15

#13 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 23:44

or realize after they are capped they stumble upon quests that was never listed in remote locations they'ld never go to... 

then ontop of that having to open every door and walk in ever building... 

#14 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:13

I remember doing a level 13 quest at level 37...

I just stumbled on it...

And it was a fetch and deliver... and it gave me a lot of exp.

Edited by Susej, 25 March 2014 - 08:13.

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#15 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 March 2014 - 16:26

It's not a matter of exploring. A person's mind generally can't remember the location of every NPC in the game. That's simply not practical. If the general location is not provided, it's nothing but frustration. No player should have to walk around for 1-2 hours to start a quest.

I suppose it is theoretically possible to track all the quest details.  We all do it in life with appointments and such.  And the game does provide the information (come back when you are level xx).  But you're right, I don't want to pull out my appt. book for a game.

Instead, like a well trained rat looking for food, I make a point of visiting each quest NPC every 1-2 levels (wish there was a faster way to get to the Junction Inn), the price I pay for not remembering details.  So, I propose a compromise.

* When receiving a new quest line stay with the current system.  Except for a very few hidden or puzzle quests they already tell you where to go.

* Quests that call for finding have adequate clues in the description, but do not receive a map marker (there is still an item marker when close).

* When you are supposed to return to an NPC (as would have applied in this case) you receive a new quest reminding you when it is time.  Essentially an 'if you have completed the last set of A. Fermii quests, add a new quest at the appropriate level to return'.  The quest text could give details.  I believe this may also be easier to implement then changing the functionality of the quest log.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#16 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 March 2014 - 16:42

Game that has all quest locations listed and noted and npc locations noted but no detail or info on what to do in your quest?
or.....game that tells you everything to do when you start your quests with a arrow to point out which direction to go in?
You decide the red pill or the blue pill :o

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: