Photo

Terms of Use, You must be 13 years or older.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vamunre

vamunre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:15

I was curious the day I started FS, WHY and I repeat WHY HCS do you have to be age 13 to play? kids now days play games by far worse and watch  crazy movies/ tv shows. I always thought that was the parents responsibility to decide if the tv show, game, what ever was to graphic for them. The reason I say this is I have a 12 year old that has watched me play FS off and on  as long as I have played. My son at age 7 as far as I am concerned he was more that capable of handling FS.  He was terminated a couple of times because I reported that he made accounts (in fear of being accused of being a multi). But my point still stands WHY? Times have changed since FS first came out. 

1 of the largest player complaints  we have right now is player activity/ amount of active players. I dont know how this if it was lowered would affect numbers but I have to assume that I am not the only parent that has kids and might consider playing.  Some probably believe that they would be the standard non donators , but I believe that once again this could be false.  My son as I keep saying makes money doing chores and doing random jobs though out the neighborhood, He buys virtual items/in game cash all the time with his own money.

Edited by vamunre, 26 April 2014 - 12:22.

#2 justinian9

justinian9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 13:12

My son (8 yrs old at the time)  is the one that found this game... so i checked it out to see if i would let him play it.  I enjoyed the game but would not allow him to play because of some of the avatars in the game and some of the conversations.  He is 13 now and keeps asking me to let him play. 

You are right this game is much better then the game kids play. Really fun! But where do you draw the line for old enough to play? The game might be a bit complicated for younger players.  If they have a parent that also plays would be helpful.

There are players under 13 in the game now.

#3 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 16:13

there are some lesser elements, in different areas of this site, to which i would not want a young person exposed

3510990+_00b808cd14da07d55dabe132d74e641 mommy why is that man killing Santas' reindeer?

and in a sense you answered your own question...

He was terminated a couple of times because ... he made accounts

Edited by duktayp, 26 April 2014 - 16:14.

#4 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 26 April 2014 - 19:06

From the Terms of Use:

Users under 18

You must be 13 years or older to create and/or use a game account at our Sites. If you are under 18, you must have permission from your legal guardian or parents to create an account and use our Sites in accordance with our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. We may cancel any account if we are not satisfied that such consent has been given.

Player shall use the service in compliance with all applicable local, state, national, and international laws, rules and regulations from the jurisdiction where they are accessing our Sites.

If we are told by your parent / guardian that You have lied about your age when registering for our Sites, We will stop the account provided we have information which satisfies us that the reporting person is indeed the parent or guardian.

Why?  Here's a big reason:  COPPA [Children's Online Privacy Protection Act].

More can be read at the above link, but here's a bit about it:

The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information from children under 13. 
[...]
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and Rule apply to individually identifiable information about a child that is collected online, such as full name, home address, email address, telephone number or any other information that would allow someone to identify or contact the child. The Act and Rule also cover other types of information -- for example, hobbies, interests and information collected through cookies or other types of tracking mechanisms -- when they are tied to individually identifiable information.

This basically means metaphorically jumping through a bunch of hoops in order to allow children to use the site, as it collects an email address and now a name for each user. Not only is it easier to put in place the age restrictions that HCS use, but my guess is that they want the game aimed at an older audience anyway.

There are players under 13 in the game now.

Legally, those accounts should be terminated.

Edited by cyrus7, 26 April 2014 - 19:13.

#5 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:14

I'd also add that --- given the modern concerns about internet grooming, and given that this s a global world game --- it is probably not sufficient for HCS to assume that all parents right around the world are fulfilling their responsibilities adequately in the way they monitor/police their children's activities. To say it is a parent's responsibility doesn't imply that HCS has no responsibility.

I can also understand why they would not wish to take on the responsibility of vetting exceptions.

#6 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 27 April 2014 - 19:47

I'd also add that --- given the modern concerns about internet grooming, and given that this s a global world game --- it is probably not sufficient for HCS to assume that all parents right around the world are fulfilling their responsibilities adequately in the way they monitor/police their children's activities. To say it is a parent's responsibility doesn't imply that HCS has no responsibility.

I can also understand why they would not wish to take on the responsibility of vetting exceptions.

This is true. If my son was still young, I wouldn't let him play. I've seen the conversations in guild chat for almost 7 years, and the innuendos are too risque' for a young child to read.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#7 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 19:59

1.jpg?_r=0

"Junior? why is your door locked?"

#8 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:14

Hey there.

First and foremost, the player has to be able to agree to a legally binding agreement. You have to be 18 to do that, though we will accept a parent of Guardians consent for under 18 to 13.

Next we have to remember that the Community will not automatically ask themselves whether what they say in the GC or on the forums is safe for a child to hear.

Finally, during the course of our games Questlines, we have you, as the hero, do some really horrible things. (Looking at you Lishka arc). There is terrible things happening and a lot of weird and wonderful beasties to kill. We have to ensure that youngsters are not seeing this, as do the kids parents.

So. We have an age restriction. There are a few reasons for it. It will not be changing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: