• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 00:36

I have a few ideas on giving some life back into the Arena and hopefully you all and the Cows will agree :)
I've read all the old postings on how to upgrade the Arena and here is my take on them and a bit more. Let me start by saying a token system is a great idea!!(shindraks idea a few years back) for the Arena but instead of using them for items how about using them for player upgrades(example)what if you were able to acquire tokens in the Arena,in which, let's say a winner of a tournament received 3 tokens and the runner up received 1 and after accumulating so many you can go to the player upgrade section and acquire 1 BP slot or 10 stam etc....you could balance it out by if 1 BP slot is worth 15fsps then you would need 50 to 75 tokens for 1 slot (seeing that most Arenas cost anywhere from 50k to 177k gold to enter). I would also suggest spawning a 2 to 4 token tourneys.
Since a lot of players are deterred by Arena players with a lot of wins, and think we get some kind of advantage(this is so far from the truth) break down the Arena into categories , such as, a beginners level. This would be where all the combat move Arenas, low gold tourneys(50k to 250k), and common Arena items, BUT if you have more than 150 Arena wins you cannot enter them. Then an intermediate level where the gold tourneys are higher and have common Arena items,resources,sprinkled with a few high value items,in which you need to have 151 wins to 750 wins, then there is the Best of the Best(haha) gold tourneys are 500k to 5 million, common items, with a good dash of nice potions.
One last final suggestion...possibly once a month or every so often make a 72 hour weekend Arena Champion Tournament where the players with the most wins receive a chest(like a ruby global chest) and some upgrade tokens to the top 5 players and everyone who participates after so many entries receives at least a bronze chest.

I look forward to reading the responses and ideas that spin off of this :)

Edited by Brice, 12 April 2014 - 02:46.

#2 iceregice

iceregice

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:09

I like the idea of arena revival, and yes there needs to be experience level arenas. I'd say something like 1-50 wins 50-200 wins 200-500 wins ect. The real problem is the lack of players, arenas used to go super fast, bothild stones would go out and pretty much in 5 minutes get 16 joins.

Edited by iceregice, 11 April 2014 - 01:10.

#3 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:50

Why hasn't this already been implemented??? It is a GREAT idea. I've seen various posts like this before and none seem to get much attention. Hopefully this one will get some exposure (considering we have on of the all time greats that started the thread). 

On to my thoughts:

Like I said, GREAT idea. It definitely could do for some refining and clarification though. 

First, my clarification request: Would people from lower brackets be able to join higher brackets? I.E. Would I, (in your definition an intermediate player), be able to join advanced/expert tourneys, or would they be reserved for the elite arena players? If they are reserved then I feel like it wouldn't be very fair to the lower level brackets. The same logic could work in vice versa but still, as you get up to the elite level, you deserve some actual competition lol. 

Second, how would the brackets be set up? IMO, a fair system would be the following:

Novice: 1-150 wins

Intermediate:151-300 wins

Expert: 301-1000 wins

God/Champion: 1001+ wins

Third, the token system is a good idea but it should not be limited to just personal upgrades. It could be that a player (ideally a guild leader or founder), wants to upgrade their guild. Or perhaps we could have a SEPARATE token reward system that would be for guild upgrades alone. This would encourage competition amongst guilds to tag arena sets and increase the competitiveness of arenas. MAYBE, just MAYBE, we could even have a guild ladder for collective arena wins. 

Your thoughts folks? Please explain what you would change about the idea or how you would improve upon it. Or if you don't like it, please at least explain why it wouldn't work or whats wrong with it. 

Just my two nickels.

#4 malphas180

malphas180

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:09

I like the idea of tokens system but with the division through arena wins is slightly difficult. The lack of players makes the arena stagnant for a long time. If we are to divide the arena based on arena wins, that would slow even more the arena. Currently, we have the freedom of joining every tourneys and just like what volcom said, the bracket system would hold some players on joining some tourneys. I'm an arena addict, I'm on for like more than 8 hours and what battles me for arena medals (perhaps wins) is the slow flow of the arena.

Edited by malphas180, 11 April 2014 - 02:10.

#5 gasman45

gasman45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:11

I like the idea of tokens system but with the division through arena wins is slightly difficult. The lack of players makes the arena stagnant for a long time. If we are to divide the arena based on arena wins, that would slow even more the arena. Currently, we have the freedom of joining every tourneys and just like what volcom said, the brackets would hold some players on joining some tourneys due to the bracket system. I'm an arena addict, I'm on for like more than 8 hours and what battles me for arena medals (perhaps wins) is the slow flow of the arena.

I also am a Arena addict but I never win. I only won twice. I am in favor of the token system. 1-50 51-100 101-150 and so on just like Brice said. I also like the upgrading part. 

#6 Brinmoth

Brinmoth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:16

I think a tier system like this would work really well, having a large scale tournament of sorts with prizes based on your result would be really cool. I also I really like the thought of arena tokens being used for uprades too.

I think these ideas would really help activity in the arena!

Edited by Brinmoth, 11 April 2014 - 02:18.

#7 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:19

I am open for all ideas on how to modify my suggestions...in response to Volcom and Malphas...maybe lower win players have the freedom to join any of the higher level tourneys just to be able to keep the Arena moving... This was the main reason Why I posted this was to entice more players to get involved with the Arena because for the last year it does take forever for tourneys to fill up and new ones to spawn, and with a token system implemented not only does the winner receive tokens but the runner up get some too(a great idea from a past posting). By all means all opinions are valued on this topic regardless if they are positive or negative :)

#8 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:19

*null*

Double posts :/ 

Edited by volcom, 11 April 2014 - 02:22.

#9 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:21

I also am a Arena addict but I never win. I only won twice. I am in favor of the token system. 1-50 51-100 101-150 and so on just like Brice said. I also like the upgrading part. 

I was an addict as well up until a few months ago. I think making the brackets increase by 50 would be too tedious for not only the Cows but also for us as players. 

And as for Malphas's post. The bracket system would not necessarily slow down the speed at which players join arenas but rather it would make it quicker. The higher your bracket, the higher the prizes.

Let me clarify a bit. Players in lower brackets would be allowed to join higher level brackets. It would only be the elite players that wouldn't be able to join the lower level brackets.

Also, I understand that there aren't many players at 1000+ wins. I was only offering a hypothetical number. That should be discussed though so what would you say is a good number for the brackets? 

#10 malphas180

malphas180

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:27

I'm not sure, though. Making numbers is difficult. What about, the division only applies to the tokens and not for the items/gold??? Because if you put brackets for items and gold tourneys, that would make it unfair for some, I guess? The arena works by chances and no one surely wins at the point he joins the tourney. My point is players mustn't be bounded in joining arenas because they have lesser or greater wins. Everyone must be free to join tourneys because arena is like a lottery, they have the chance to win.

Edited by malphas180, 11 April 2014 - 02:29.

#11 Shylark57

Shylark57

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:45

Well I have 49 wins..... 45 were Novice wins for the moves... I would like to see some more moves added... The token Idea is great.. Some of my issues now is the high price to enter some with little return for the cost.... But I do still try a few now and then....

#12 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:52

Well I have 49 wins..... 45 were Novice wins for the moves... I would like to see some more moves added... The token Idea is great.. Some of my issues now is the high price to enter some with little return for the cost.... But I do still try a few now and then....

I understand why you would think that more moves would be better but trust me, the arena is already complicated enough as it is haha. More moves added wouldn't help make it any easier for newer players to try it out. 

There used to be a guide by Trackxyj (2nd in Arena wins, was first for a VERY long time) but for some reason when the cows started the new forum, his thread got lost in the process. I learned a lot from it even as a somewhat intermediate player. If I ever find the link to the google docs page, I'll be sure to post it in my bio. 

#13 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:57

I'm not sure, though. Making numbers is difficult. What about, the division only applies to the tokens and not for the items/gold??? Because if you put brackets for items and gold tourneys, that would make it unfair for some, I guess? The arena works by chances and no one surely wins at the point he joins the tourney. My point is players mustn't be bounded in joining arenas because they have lesser or greater wins. Everyone must be free to join tourneys because arena is like a lottery, they have the chance to win.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "the division only applies to the tokens and not for the items/gold". Please explain? Would this mean there would be no brackets but there would be different token rewards for players?

The reason why I think a bracket system would be beneficial is that aspiring players won't be discouraged that someone with 100s of more arena wins than them will be the level of competition they will be facing. (Not sure if that made sense grammatically, but you get my point.

Assuring them that they will be playing against players that are at the same level as them will make the prospect of joining the so called "lottery" more appealing to them.

P.S. Joining arenas costs gold. The more gold we need = lower cost for FSP in Market. We need some way to create a gold sink, this seems as good an idea as any. (At least in my opinion). 

#14 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:22

break down the Arena into categories , such as, a beginners level. This would be where all the combat move Arenas, low gold tourneys(50k to 250k), and common Arena items, BUT if you have more than 150 Arena wins you cannot enter them. Then an intermediate level where the gold tourneys are higher and have common Arena items,resources,sprinkled with a few high value items,in which you need to have 151 wins to 750 wins, then there is the Best of the Best(haha) gold tourneys are 500k to 5 million, common items, with a good dash of nice potions.

Good luck with that idea ;) - I suggested something similar about 12 months ago and some arena players gave it to me with both barrels and no lubricant.

Do I think it's a good idea ? - yes - but these certain other players most definately don't ..

For the most part, I don't comment on arena threads now because I get accused of trolling and knowing nothing about it ( the latter is somewhat true, but still have a medal)  ...

I hope it flies ....

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#15 Command101

Command101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:35

Start it off with a bang IMO to get more people interested.

PM me in game if I get out bid on a piece. Thanks.Thaisetqb1_zpsiu932q47.png

#16 realking

realking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:48

Awesome ideas , I like them it would definately get new blood in them .

I would like to know where to find some resource guides to help us choose gear set ups and moves too .  i am so confused about the what to equip that it angers me a bit . if i use armor do i stay away from mixing it with defense gear stuff , do i use damage , does damage have any effects ? How do i look at this , if this were pvp or gvg's , i know how to choose gear for that as there my opponent is exposed , do the stats i choose for the arenas work the same way ? , Is damage irrelavant in the arenas ? Does attack counter defense ?

Where would info be found on this subjct ?

many thanks for any answers

#17 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:55

Ha!! Point taken Pardoux...but I am a veteran Arena player and if this was implemented I would be limited to what Arenas I could enter, and I'm fine with that. If that is what it would take to get more players back into or to be motivated to play than I'm all for it...I just would like to see more players get interested in the Arena. The Arena is in a bad need of some kind of change or update...unfortunately the last update was ok but it just crashed the value of Arena items,in which, gave a lot of players less incentive to play...personally I don't play the Arena for greed or to make FSPs anyone who knows me knows I post all loot the lowest in the AH and all gold goes to my guild...I play the Arena for the challenge, strategy, and making Arena setups...loved it since the first time I entered one. I do feel that the token system would be an awesome incentive for players to play, and a win tiered bracket could work if implemented correctly.

#18 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:01

To Realking... There are a few links that can help you on gear...a simple way is to just google"Arena gear and tips for Fallensword"... Or you can just PM me and I will gladly give advice for the Arena, but I don't just give out Arena setup's because I've worked hard through trial and error in making mine :)

#19 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:06

Start it off with a bang IMO to get more people interested.

How about do a major update combined with a 72hour Arena tourney! With new pots and 1 mill+ tourneys, and token Arenas!!! :D

Edited by Brice, 11 April 2014 - 04:33.

#20 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:36

Ha!! Point taken Pardoux...but I am a veteran Arena player and if this was implemented I would be limited to what Arenas I could enter, and I'm fine with that. If that is what it would take to get more players back into or to be motivated to play than I'm all for it...I just would like to see more players get interested in the Arena. The Arena is in a bad need of some kind of change or update...

No argument from me there - agree 100%

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: