132 replies to this topic

#41 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:59

LolLOLLOL Hoof stated quiet clearly the alternative character will be able to play fs as it currently stands but loaded on a seperate server. IT WILL NOT BE  A NEW GAME>

#42 tuvok77

tuvok77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:05

LolLOLLOL Hoof stated quiet clearly the alternative character will be able to play fs as it currently stands but loaded on a seperate server. IT WILL NOT BE  A NEW GAME>

As the thought at first was of hoof, it would have been a seperate server. The server would have been with a slightly different map design, so in a way it would have been a new game, depending what your criteria are for a new game. Idea got put on hold and I consider it good they adressed it. I am hopeful they will just focus on improving the current game and making it more accessible on alot of devices, thats what this should have been all about.

#43 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:15

As the thought at first was of hoof, it would have been a seperate server. The server would have been with a slightly different map design, so in a way it would have been a new game, depending what your criteria are for a new game. Idea got put on hold and I consider it good they adressed it. I am hopeful they will just focus on improving the current game and making it more accessible on alot of devices, thats what this should have been all about.

Why not make it a beta server?

#44 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2017 - 13:08

This wasn't what I was thinking, I was thinking more that it would be exactly the same as the current instance of the game so that updates could be applied to both. Like I said before it's something we'll have a think about - it may indeed be better to keep it all to the same game world.

The main thinking for having a separate world would be to not have the vast level range of players which may put new players off, but we could maybe look at how the top rated etc. is presented on the app to make make this a non-issue. For example the focus could be on the monthly top rated so there is a challenge for the top rated relative to the players join date.

#45 xxlooperxx

xxlooperxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 13:39

This wasn't what I was thinking, I was thinking more that it would be exactly the same as the current instance of the game so that updates could be applied to both. Like I said before it's something we'll have a think about - it may indeed be better to keep it all to the same game world.

The main thinking for having a separate world would be to not have the vast level range of players which may put new players off, but we could maybe look at how the top rated etc. is presented on the app to make make this a non-issue. For example the focus could be on the monthly top rated so there is a challenge for the top rated relative to the players join date.

Why not have 2 separate top rated lists then. 1 before the mobile release and 1 for after the release

XXLOOPERXX%20SIG.png

#46 TSDaedalus

TSDaedalus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 05 January 2017 - 13:44

When I hunt, I like using a dual monitor setup, keyboard, mouse, fast Internet, etc. This way I can have the guide open and Mowglik's maps, my profile, log, world screen, buff market, and other pages all open and accessible at the same time. Also, it's considerably easier to buff on aPC. So I'm not excited about being able to move on the map and attack creatures through the app at all. I am excited about being able to easily do daily stam upgrades, composing, using the auction house, using the buff and fsp markets, PvPing including doing bounties, watching sponsor videos, etc... basically everything BUT hunting on the mobile app. I'd like to see the app be a companion to the game on PC rather than try to replace it altogether. That said, I like the possibility of having a second character, but I'm not sold on the benefit of having two versions of the game. I wonder if diverging would cannibalize users and water down the experience.

#47 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2017 - 14:24

When I hunt, I like using a dual monitor setup, keyboard, mouse, fast Internet, etc. This way I can have the guide open and Mowglik's maps, my profile, log, world screen, buff market, and other pages all open and accessible at the same time. Also, it's considerably easier to buff on aPC. So I'm not excited about being able to move on the map and attack creatures through the app at all. I am excited about being able to easily do daily stam upgrades, composing, using the auction house, using the buff and fsp markets, PvPing including doing bounties, watching sponsor videos, etc... basically everything BUT hunting on the mobile app. I'd like to see the app be a companion to the game on PC rather than try to replace it altogether. That said, I like the possibility of having a second character, but I'm not sold on the benefit of having two versions of the game. I wonder if diverging would cannibalize users and water down the experience.

You'd be able to use it as just a companion if you wanted to  - but you'd also be able to hunt while you're waiting in the queue for a coffee too :D

#48 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2017 - 14:25

Why not have 2 separate top rated lists then. 1 before the mobile release and 1 for after the release

I think that's essentially what the monthly top rated is already, but open to ideas of course.

#49 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 17:58

World 2 lets go... A world without inventor 2 500/uber pots... etc...please

#50 tuvok77

tuvok77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 19:59

You'd be able to use it as just a companion if you wanted to  - but you'd also be able to hunt while you're waiting in the queue for a coffee too :D

I dunno many people who have the time to maintain 2 characters, hardcore gamers usually are on the road with shiny graphics and those AAA titles that get finished after under 30 hours.  As far as I see it the major of the community is casual and most of the people playing have jobs and are a bit older than the average gaming age. This game has a somewhat old school feel to it, which many kids these days cannot really get into. Theres virtually no vital advertising for this game, and it lacks relateable game mechanics as known from the hundreds of other MMOs. That being said I love this game and it was my actual first game I signed up when I was younger. So Im clinging to it kinda because It reminds me of 2007 and how I used to be.

*This game needs more diverse Events, like limited edition weapons, who are only inventable/findable/buyable during a one time course, like scavenging caves.

*Or super rare crystalline items that are kind of an overkill but theres only at any given moment a handful of these ingame, the game would limit through mechanics this.

*Critical hellforge: you can go outside the box and try to overforge your items to a point where they increase in 10% of their stats each critical hellforge (you need 2 items of the same kind in the same forge state and only fully forged items can be "overforged". It has a 50% chance of breaking both items and turning them into frags in the process or if your lucky you will recieve one overforged item with 1 red forge dot. Kinda like the idea was with the infernal hammer. This would make all items coveted and make them useful for those willing to go that path. :3

*PvP-seasons should be brought in again, its been over a year now.

#51 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 00:54

I'm looking forward to the app. Seeing as how for the past 2 years, I have played exclusively via a mobile device, and there are many stumbling blocks to playing the game in it's current form... with more of the world using the internet in the same way as I do, it's heartening to know that an app is being made with us in mind. I have signed up to be considered for the beta, and look forward to hearing when I can install this on both my phone and tablet.

BP... you are exactly the type of player I was talking about in my request for intelligent, hands-on knowledge in post #27. 

What do you want to see? 

The main thinking for having a separate world would be to not have the vast level range of players which may put new players off.

Please quit listening to players who actually play the game, for reasons I can't understand, that believe this to be true.

Personally, I am unaware of any game out there that says... "please come play our game and be number one in a day. If you play everyday for a week, you can beat those that have played for years". 

Monthly top player was already instituted. I liked that. Personally, and it should be obvious, I think the whole idea that a level 3k player "drives players from the game" is ludicrous and counterlogical. 

If any logic would be applied, then you could expand ranks to include a monthly top everything. 

Seriously, top player scores have been involved in games for FOREVER... Nobody ever went to a pinball game or Galaxia or something like that and looked at the top score list and then said, "Oh wait, I'm not going to spend my quarter here cuz I'll never be able to get the top score". 

So tired of this ridiculous argument. Sorry, but yes... it's annoying. 

Check out TSD's post at #46

They gave a similar response to mine. 

Hoof: Do you really go to a coffee place that you have to wait 30 to 60 minutes to get your coffee?

That's really why I don't see this functioning on the hunt level and want some serious input. 

That said, I do bet there are peeps that hunt solely from their phone... or will try to. 

If it does function well without lag, I could possibly hunt on my commute in public transport to work. I can't see myself doing it, but I could imagine others doing it. 

Your coffee example is for me where I see the real attraction to the app. Prioritizing those hourly things that people will log on from phone to do. 

This is kind of why I see the app working for hunting at the beginning and a Tutorial being so necessary. The idea for me is not to hunt from the app, but to get peeps into the game.

Again, I'm def skeptical on the hunting aspect via phone getting peeps into the game. I don't think even a doubler 10k would solve the issue. I could definitely be wrong.

#52 Gutie

Gutie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:56

I'm going to remove the whole 'new world' thing from the timeline for now - it was just a thought tbh. I'm not saying we will or won't do it - just that it isn't the primary focus which is to make the game fully playable on the phone.

(And yeah it is under development, there is a lot of the groundwork done - I just wanted to put up a roadmap to give an idea of what is coming where on the beta) :)

Why are youletting just a couple people (literally) shoot this idea down? I LOVE it. Specifically given so many of us are in guilds where we simply can't leave to join a good fired's guild without drastically harming our own guild. Hoof, I think you are MASSIVELY underestimating how good this would be for the community. I don't think you should let people whose only input has consistently been to bash anything you BG or other devs propose, without ANY ideas of their own.

Simply put, this second server idea would be fantastic for those of us established and who have huge ties to our own guilds to be able to play with good friends in an open and new scenario. I can't say enough how many of us are queitly upset over this "quickly backpedaling". Push forward. There are many players would greatly enjoy this new server with a clean slate. Imagine how it'd be for newbies who feel they have no way to reliably catch up to people like me and others? This is a boon to them as well feeling they won't be able to compete being able to get in on ground level with the rest of us.

If I had a few major suggestions, it would be to have content released in chunks rather than all immediately (to nerf the ability of people like myself to buy our way to the top and EOC)

Increased difficulty of beasties requiring groups, and merc system with good xp payout to group members to encourage that mechanic.

Make the xp of the guild EQUAL 25% of the ACTUAL XP of the players in the guild, to remove the massive penalty temporarily visiting other guilds would cause to first guild.

OLD PvP Rating system, with opt-out not in. 

MAX STAM CAP of 50k. Permanently. Base stam gain of 100. Make this one a faster paced server so people are logging in more to use that stam rather than losing interest between long waits to play. Will keep people more used to more modern styled MMOs attentive to the game.

All stat increasing and decreasing buffs power reduced by half. Increased difficulty of hunting and PvP as a result and use of enhancements/best gear.

GutieGGtsig_zps678d4c8f.png

Are you active? Enjoy playing FS for fun and striving for lofty goals? Looking to join a guild that invests in itself and seeks to improve and grow in all aspects of the game?

Secret Alliance can be your home in FS! We are looking for active, motivated and driven players who have a passion and genuine enjoyment of FS to join us as we continue to rise towards the TOP! If interested feel free to send me a PM.

SA is also looking for one or two guild mergers INTO SA. Feel free to ask for details.

#53 Gutie

Gutie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:01

Nerfing the range of levels would be a big improvement over FS main server hoof.

I've had several people I really pushed to get into FS get turned off when I told them the time+money it takes to get to even mid game content.

3 years to get to not even halfway to EOC won't retain or gain new players imo. It's why I've been chirping about accelerating lower level content more. (Karthak isn't even 1/3 to EOC anymore, lol).

Condensing the levels, capping Max stam and raising the base stam gain can all aid this.

GutieGGtsig_zps678d4c8f.png

Are you active? Enjoy playing FS for fun and striving for lofty goals? Looking to join a guild that invests in itself and seeks to improve and grow in all aspects of the game?

Secret Alliance can be your home in FS! We are looking for active, motivated and driven players who have a passion and genuine enjoyment of FS to join us as we continue to rise towards the TOP! If interested feel free to send me a PM.

SA is also looking for one or two guild mergers INTO SA. Feel free to ask for details.

#54 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:08

I don't think you should let people whose only input has consistently been to bash anything you BG or other devs propose, without ANY ideas of their own.

Definitely not a description I recognise for those who have queried the wisdom of a second world within this thread.

Also, Gutie, this is not a line of argument that sways me to the validty of your cause. (Of course, "I" am not the person who needs to be swayed, and you'll have to decide for yourself whether I am unique in this respect.)

#55 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 16:27

but open to ideas of course.

This is the mentality that we need desperately to return. Thank you for keeping an open mind, a dialogue with players, and spending some coding time on the game, something that is oh so greatly needed. I look forward to the results.

World 2 lets go... A world without inventor 2 500/uber pots... etc...please

The main thinking for having a separate world would be to not have the vast level range of players which may put new players off

As a veteran player I would like to see a world that wasn't developed on these Uber Super pots, which is what continues to contribute to the disenchantment of vast level differences for numbers of players. Simply, so many aspects of the game have become unchallenging. An idea growing on me, like a reset, is the chance of a fresh world leaving behind the bizarro one.

Edited by sweetlou, 06 January 2017 - 18:06.

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#56 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 18:59

A second FS world? We're all talking about it after Hoof got his hooves burned and took off the table.

It sounded like the idea was a copy, with all current FS game conditions and items insitu, but just with new characters. So the power creep would be built in from the start. This would probably be the simplest idea to introduce from a cow perspective. Same game, second server, boom. 

How easy would it be for HCS to have a mirror world with say only the buffs and levels etc. that were created to level 300? Genuine question.

That would provide an old school world, (small doublers only!) with a chance to reset on approaches to buffs and gear. No KE to start the creep towards multiple sets, no SSI, because stuff.

I'm not sure how intriguing it would be to me (come on! I know I'd try it, but would I stay?) - but set it up on a beta server and see how it runs.

My request with a revised world would be to make it more story driven - have the epic quests run through the entire content and give the players a sense that they are fighting through the world to at first defeat the plots of the Shadowlord, then his minions, then his lieutenants/powerful enemies, and finally the man himself, complete with quest to find/rebuild the Fallen Sword and possibly defeat the Shadowlord directly.

There are lots of great partial storylines in FS that could be fused together and built on using epic quests - I'd love to see this done in the current game as a way to make it more addictive to new players all the way up. There are tons of fun things and serious challenges that could be created using elements of existing content, I think.

However, in a new world the story could come front and center and provide a strong driver for players to advance through the realms. But that would take a lot of development in terms of researching the current quests and characters, looking at the map locations, and then building a cool over arching quest line using existing content and building on it. No doubt about it, that is some research time right there.

Anyway, my random 2c on this.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#57 zirxa

zirxa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 January 2017 - 22:51

HELLO FS!! been waiting for this app to come, i truly think it be good for the game, NCS i say focus on this app and the game first!!, before getting this new world going...im down for a new world be cool to start new with every one...

~~DARKENESS IS COMING ... RUN & HIDE OR FIGHT WITH PRIDE~~

CHARACTERS:  ZIRXA = LVL  49RANGER(back to daily's :( :angry:

life saver = LVL 9 healer

( why are there some folks that gang up on me? no need to be scared or jealous we gamers)

Check out my current auctions here!

#58 TxLxS

TxLxS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:47

For one I haven't played fs on a pc since 2008 when I made made my account and I would also support a new world but that's besides the point the main things that are hard playing off of a iPhone.

Backpack Checkboxes Would be one thing make it simple no confusion about moving things to diffrent folders when I first came back I wasted like 6 epic pots trying to move them around on bp wasn't nice >.> so make backpack easy to manage and easy to use pots and the are you sure you want to use feature. 2 would be playing off a cellphone idk about tablet but there's always the fact about zooming in to be able to read or click on anything I kind of already have it memorized but make the screen easy to move around and click things. 3 would be hunting feature or Titan hunting but sometimes trying to zoom in I accidentlly click something and start moving while I was trying to zoom in or trying to walk Square to square if you click on same one you are on you get the can't move more than one square then there isn't a "1-infinity option" when your attacking so you have to click each individual monster and hit attack then x the screen if you don't have it disabled then hit the other ones then you have to refresh screen if your using am which trying to tap tiny squares with fingers on phOne is hard so with that point just make map function easy and as simply without haveing to go to preference and adjusting things "for new players atleast cause this probably happens when people stumble on this game from cellphone online.3 point would be idk how it is on pc but on phone having to zoom out on map or not the whole map being visible while all the way zoomed out especially while Titan hunting they always end up in the blind corner then you have to teleport as far as you can see move to adjust screen then walk to the Titan.4 an important feature to have also not sure if it's been mention skipped through a lot of post but anyways making sure guild report and recall feature is accessible and an easy search bar function to find gear :) to have guild store access and group access to basicly have access to have all guild functions this that is major point of game for most is guild activity oh and like others mentioned please have option for shards on app for many new players to have access to earn fsp while at low lvl so they can get attached to game sorry for sloppy post I probably have more info I will post later if y'all would like to hear :)

Oh yea one last thing for this post would be accesses to guides and wiki from link of coarse:)

Edited by TxLxS, 07 January 2017 - 06:56.

#59 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:17

I remember when the "new" map was introduced, we had a separate server just for testing and development. We all made characters specifically for that server, starting at square 1, and coming to the forum to share our views, observations, and ideas. IMHO, a "new world" is still a good idea, at least until all the bugs are ironed out. Legacy has a dev server, and although some of us play it for the lulz, it's a slightly different environment, and where new things are normally tested until deemed ready for the general population.

By no means should a separate world be kept around after a final release, but until that time, I feel that it's the best way to gauge the best way to organize things so that eventually I can log into the same FS on my app or browser, and grind or whatever I plan to do that day.

There a a few things that are nigh impossible on a mobile device. Titan hunting is a big one, as one doesn't have keyboard controls to travel to wherever the titan may be, then run run run to the other side of the map to hit it when it moves. When hunting on a mobile device, one must move into position, expand the view, kill kill kill, tap refresh, yada yada yada. Then when the critters are all gone, you can't move to the next square until you either a. switch to classic map, or b. zoom back out to "normal", or c. just click the world link (I have it bookmarked) to return to the original sized page. And to make repairs, since I don't have an "R" to press, I have to leave the map and go to the blacksmith, like we did in the olden days on the classic map before the advent of FSH.... So it takes 2-3 times longer to put in a normal hunt, or hunt BG's global critters. Buffs have to be replenished a least once (and I have mediocre max stam). Some DQ's must be skipped, as like most people, I don't have hours to travel around breaking down items or gathering resources to invent an insurmountable number of items.

What I expect from an app is a way to bypass these stumbling blocks, so that I too can secure my own Krumpers Armor or crash through countless mobs to break down 750 items, or go back and do Karthak, which requires much gathering of stuff for seemingly endless inventing.

These things don't need to be fancy or more complicated than the FS that we all know and love, they just need to have 100% functionality so that I'm able to play the whole game rather than just parts of it.

Edited by BadPenny, 07 January 2017 - 10:22.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#60 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2017 - 00:35

Making good progress on the server-side conversion to PHP 7! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: