• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 23:44

Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

I have noticed that more and more players (including some of my alts) are using single handed weapons and a shield instead of a staff when they have a sorcery based character.

I personally feel if someone is going to be a mage, prohit or similar, they should be equiped appropriately.

I know that the shield will give better defense stats and using hybrid weapons with sorc and spell attack stats can give higher dps.

But, if the staff was changed to spell dps like the essence rather than it being melee dps, this may encourage more players to use them as it could hopefully outway the higher defense points of using a shield and the spell stats from a single handed hybrid weapon.

When in doubt. Blame lag ;)

#2 Blissy

Blissy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:55

honestly never understood having a mage class not using a staff as an actual weapon as I"ve not seen that in other games. 

I"ve seen magical classes of sorts that may include other type of weapons but over all mages, spellcasters have actually wands/staffs to use. 

I have both staff and shield/1h though I equip my staff more now since it gives me higher dps then the shield and 1h I have.

I kind of feel like they opted to have the essc be the weapon so they didn't have to create animations for us to actually use the staff but I wish they would change that.   I feel l ike the you don't actually get the feel of using any weapon on mage class as you don't actually see the essc but the spell animation cast from the hand and the staff merely sits on your character only giving you stat increases.

I"d think they got it backwards and should have made the staff the weapon that we actually weild to fight with and the essc is the secondary weapon that gives us the stats but the staff would be what we see in game using the animations from the various spells.

if a mage uses a shield and 1h, those weapons just sit there mostly anyway as well so I think we lose the fun of mage animations of our weapons.  if that makes any sense.

my ranger uses her xbow, makes sense as she's an archer so why isn't my mage using her magical staff?

Edited by Blissy, 23 February 2016 - 02:56.

Slow but steady wins the race or something like that.

I'm just taking it slow, not sure about the steady.

*Pre-Steam release Player*

*Joined Spring of 2014 *

#3 Removed18058

Removed18058

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:23

Sword and shield is for solo cc grinding and pvp in all other cases peeps will opt for the staff

It gives that insane tankyness for special builds

Fastest asv healer
Fastest rg healer

fastest icc healer in progress

Gotta go fast :P

#4 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:48

Sword and shield is for solo cc grinding and pvp in all other cases peeps will opt for the staff

No they won't,  the majority of  people are opting for swords and shields with spell stats dropped from GC and TR rather than having a staff, unless they are lucky enough to drop on a rolled staff with great spell stats. or have plenty of topaz and agate.

#5 Removed18058

Removed18058

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 February 2016 - 13:41

Like i said sword and shield is for solo (cc) grinding it gives that extra survivability during big pulls.

Most new players still roll with good old staff unless someone shows them the power of shields.

Ita good for leveling solo

Dont think its harmfull to the game to let people use this then.

Pretty much the same topic as limiting the tiers of gems by level.

Fastest asv healer
Fastest rg healer

#6 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 14:19

Like i said sword and shield is for solo (cc) grinding it gives that extra survivability during big pulls.

That is personal preference, with spells such as plasma shield, miasma, frostbite etc, mobs can be pulled just as well with no need for a shield and sword

Most new players still roll with good old staff unless someone shows them the power of shields.

If you look at the newer players, once they reach lvl10 and start getting hybrid weapons with sorc stats, they tend to change to them as the two weapons often outway the spell dps compared to a staff unless they drop on a staff with a very good roll.

Ita good for leveling solo

Exactly my point, the rolls from hybrid weapons are better because the staff is melee dps instead of spell dps. Whats the point of melee dps if your gonna use spells.

Dont think its harmfull to the game to let people use this then.

I didn't say there was any harm with using swords and shields. The post is to suggest making staffs to spell dps rather than having it as melee dps. If your using a staff your casting spells not bludgeoning mobs

Pretty much the same topic as limiting the tiers of gems by level.

The whole point of this post is to suggest making Staffs spell dps rather than melee. Melee dps on a staff is as pointless as a warrior having a two handed sword with range or spell dps

#7 Unlucker

Unlucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 February 2016 - 14:35

They've made shields so OP, it would be foolish not to use them most of the time. They should buff staves so it increases dps more dramatically. Rangers kind of have that... dual wielding gives you more dps. So they should probably add talent that increases your spell dps when using staves to balance it a little bit.

From D&D point of view the spell casting + shield isn't something new - Cleric class, battlemage or perhaps necromancer  for example, but it always comes with disability to cast certain spells or limited damage.

Ranger + shield on the other hand is kind of nonsense.

Edited by Unlucker, 23 February 2016 - 14:39.

#8 kidref

kidref

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 29 February 2016 - 21:27

Maby add to lv 50 talnett Mage when use staff you get X more crit/ spell dammage or haste

on healer lv 50 talent maby get x more spell healing power/haste or crit?

any talent that can boost to use staff?

#9 minddrag

minddrag

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Canada

Posted 01 March 2016 - 19:07

A staff should not be a magic weapon, or else it would make warprophs much more viable.  The whole point of class weaponry is to provide incentives to stick to your class!

2zgi4n8.jpg

My Signature Shop:

https://forums.hunte...e-shop-startup/

#10 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 22:14

A staff should not be a magic weapon, or else it would make warprophs much more viable.  The whole point of class weaponry is to provide incentives to stick to your class!

Can you explain what do you mean by "class weaponry"?

Not sure if i have read something wrong. If you want to stick to a class rather than hybrid, isn't having a staff with spell dps a class weapon for mage and prophet classes as they use spells not melee to attack.

With all hand held weapons being melee dps, doesn't this mean melee chars such as sins and  warriors, get an advantage over range and sorcery chars.

For example;

The inf staff I have on my main has 640.6, melee dps, 461-564 damage and 1.25 attacks per second.  As a mage this is completely wasted as I never use melee, only spells and sorcery.

The inf axe is 640.5 melee dps, 576-705damage, 1attack per second, which means a warrior gets to benefit from that 640dps

#11 Removed18058

Removed18058

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Badge

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:04

Buffing staves would create a severe inbalance in power

Its better for dealing dps to wear staves since it gives more crit dps attack power no need to buff it if you go dungeons you wear staves solo stuff you go sword n shield

Fastest asv healer
Fastest rg healer

#12 minddrag

minddrag

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Canada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 15:03

Can you explain what do you mean by "class weaponry"?

Not sure if i have read something wrong. If you want to stick to a class rather than hybrid, isn't having a staff with spell dps a class weapon for mage and prophet classes as they use spells not melee to attack.

With all hand held weapons being melee dps, doesn't this mean melee chars such as sins and  warriors, get an advantage over range and sorcery chars.

For example;

The inf staff I have on my main has 640.6, melee dps, 461-564 damage and 1.25 attacks per second.  As a mage this is completely wasted as I never use melee, only spells and sorcery.

The inf axe is 640.5 melee dps, 576-705damage, 1attack per second, which means a warrior gets to benefit from that 640dps

lets just look at this for a moment.  This would mean that you should make all dirks ranged dps and all throwing weapons melee dps.  This is a sever inbalance.  The point is that you are to attack with your essense.  To make the staff mage dps is impractical.  Its just really hard to explain.

2zgi4n8.jpg

My Signature Shop:

#13 Steve1973

Steve1973

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:16

lets just look at this for a moment.  This would mean that you should make all dirks ranged dps and all throwing weapons melee dps.  This is a sever inbalance.  The point is that you are to attack with your essense.  To make the staff mage dps is impractical.  Its just really hard to explain.

Yeah after having a look at weapons available, I see your point.

Looking at inf weapons as prime example;

The warriors have melee dps on their main two handed weapon, the inf star that would go with it does have +44 melee but range dps.

Likewise with rangers, the Xbow is range dps and the daggers have +44 range but melee dps.

So yes, I realise now, singling out the staff as the only one to change to match the class would cause an imbalance. Thanks :)

I would say it does seem strange that all the secondary weapons, although they aren't usually used, have a different dps to the class they are itended to be used for, but I guess this allows for more variety and flexibility for hybrid/mix'n'match characters to be created.

#14 minddrag

minddrag

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Canada

Posted 04 March 2016 - 15:50

Yeah after having a look at weapons available, I see your point.

Looking at inf weapons as prime example;

The warriors have melee dps on their main two handed weapon, the inf star that would go with it does have +44 melee but range dps.

Likewise with rangers, the Xbow is range dps and the daggers have +44 range but melee dps.

So yes, I realise now, singling out the staff as the only one to change to match the class would cause an imbalance. Thanks :)

I would say it does seem strange that all the secondary weapons, although they aren't usually used, have a different dps to the class they are itended to be used for, but I guess this allows for more variety and flexibility for hybrid/mix'n'match characters to be created.

I did bring this up in one of my rants I believe, but after going through 45 pages of the suggestions forum, and 50 pages of the general forum, I cannot find it.  Creds to the developers at HCS for making it impossible to find previous posts, as searches cannot find archived posts.

2zgi4n8.jpg

My Signature Shop:

#15 aliadnan12

aliadnan12

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 March 2016 - 19:19

posted before reading u changed ur openion

Edited by aliadnan12, 20 March 2016 - 19:20.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: