86 replies to this topic

#1 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 00:44

Current Experience Formula (taken from wiki)
  • if potion duration > total skill points

XP = round up [(total skill points / 60) + (total skill points / 500)] * 10;

• else

XP = round up [(potion duration / 60) + (total skill points / 500)] * 10

New Experience Formula
  • if potion duration > total skill points

XP = round up[ [(total skill points / 60) + (total skill points / 500)] * 10] + [Composing Level *5];

• else

XP = round up[ [(potion duration / 60) + (total skill points / 500)] * 10] +[Composing Level *5]

The section in Red is the only simple change and gives a linear progression to XP gained per potion as you level up in composing, and since the XP per level is Exponential it will still take longer to gain each level. Just not as long as it currently does....

Xp for leveling in the game is set up in a similar manner for the 1st few hundred levels when killing creatures then capped. So it just makes sense to me that each time you level in composing you should be able to get a little more XP per potion as well.

The modifier is set at 5, but is something that could go up or down some depending on how others feel? I choose 5 because it did not seem too high and was similar to how the time per level goes down by 5 minuets. This should be beneficial to everyone composing no matter the level as it will allow them to progress at a more reasonable pace and still help those who have gained the levels because they would get a better modifier with their current level.

1 Example:

at level 10 you you would get [the current XP of making a potion]+[10*5] or a minimum of 10+50 XP

#2 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 00:45

I figured I would bring this up after the recent global that was designed to get more people composing. I thought this would be a great compliment to it since leveling speed is another major issue with composing

#3 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:54

<<Edited out due to bad math>>

Edited by Yuuzhan, 06 March 2014 - 03:45.

#4 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:57

How long has composing been around and we already have a player confirmed at 27 and possibly as high as 30. How quickly do we really want everyone at composing eoc?

#5 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:44

Ok, my first math was bad.  Sorry about that!  Here is the revised numbers... which show that this is really not a good idea.

Current system:

current.png

1XP bonus per level of composing:

1xp_bonus.png

5 xp bonus per level of composing:

5xp_bonus.png

#6 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:56

i like the idea of change....i crunched some #'s and mind you i am NO math expert....but to reach even level 20 for an average player...

its roughly 4500 potions@ 20 xp a potion...(i said roughly)....now the average player is gonna make 8-10 potions a day(and thats a HIGH number).  thats WELL over a year to get even close to half of composing....with game numbers dwindling and active players low....most will NEVER make it near even that....

RealmOfTheDead_zps1e8fa1f1.png

#7 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:22

i like the idea of change....i crunched some #'s and mind you i am NO math expert....but to reach even level 20 for an average player...

its roughly 4500 potions@ 20 xp a potion...(i said roughly)....now the average player is gonna make 8-10 potions a day(and thats a HIGH number).  thats WELL over a year to get even close to half of composing....with game numbers dwindling and active players low....most will NEVER make it near even that....

That's a good point... We should apply that logic to leveling so i demand a 16x xp event!

#8 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:38

That's a good point... We should apply that logic to leveling so i demand a 16x xp event!

leveling and composing are two seperate animals good sir. and if the cows expect to see composing really put to use by the AVERAGE players of FS then they may want to look at the leveling formula. I'm not saying make it so we can reach lvl 50 overnight. But by your logic it should take over 2 YEARS to make it level 50 composing? I bet 90% of players quit the game before they make that....thats doing 8-10 potions a day EVERY day for 2+ yrs.....almost 3 yrs.....yup your logic makes comlete sense my good sir

#9 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:01

leveling and composing are two seperate animals good sir. and if the cows expect to see composing really put to use by the AVERAGE players of FS then they may want to look at the leveling formula. I'm not saying make it so we can reach lvl 50 overnight. But by your logic it should take over 2 YEARS to make it level 50 composing? I bet 90% of players quit the game before they make that....thats doing 8-10 potions a day EVERY day for 2+ yrs.....almost 3 yrs.....yup your logic makes comlete sense my good sir

Overnight, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, what is the magic number? So if we were to make everything achievable to the "Average" player that doesn't want to put the time in, there are so many ways we can improve things and not just composing. I will argue that players as you predict quitting within 2 years will never achieve lvl 1600 buffs so the 16x xp event is still a good idea (following your logic). How many average players have secured a titan? We need 20 simultaneous titan spawns every 3 hours so everyone has a chance at their very own secure. We should award all Arena participants with epic rewards since your "average" player may never win arena. Change you want, change we should have to make life easier for the "average" player... don't just leave it to composing but all aspects of the game.

#10 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:29

Granted this is making a potion, but it takes most players a long time to get a high SE medal or high BH medal - just a couple of the few medals that actually take some effort and time to attain.  I'm not one of the high level Composers, but I'm plodding along steadily.  It's nice to level up in something that really doesn't take much time, though tedious -- you just log in, take, reset new pot/s and you're on your way.

By level 11 - you're making AL 200, LF 250 and Conserve 230.  That's pretty awesome.

There are other potions in the game readily available to players that are equal to or exceed the other potions unless you're quite high in Composing.  Personally, I'm not sure why Coordinated Attack and Defense are on the compose list, since we have Blazing Cave Potion and I see no reason to crash that market, which will eventually happen, but it's done and we move on.

If composing was something that we needed in order to play the game, I might have a different view.  Everyone already had a huge supply of frags due to the global event and we're told there will be more in the future, though the rewards a bit scaled back (appropriately) - so it's not like we're all desperate for frags to level.

Just my view point

#11 Ryebred

Ryebred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:42

bounty hunting takes so very long to level up my medals..can I get 5x boost to all clears, and rush the process please.  I want my acheivment to be a mediocre acheivement.....and while we are at it - can I get a SE kill booster..see I hunt my own, and it takes so very long.  Also I don't play ladder, but feel I'm an outstanding PvP player..one could even go as far as saying dominant ...could I start a petition to give Rye Diamond dominance & if I get enough signatures we'll call it good + bypass the sitting in 1st process.  Isn't mediocrity fun & exciting...everyone can do it :)

Edited by Ryebred, 06 March 2014 - 08:46.

#12 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:42

Overnight, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, what is the magic number? So if we were to make everything achievable to the "Average" player that doesn't want to put the time in, there are so many ways we can improve things and not just composing. I will argue that players as you predict quitting within 2 years will never achieve lvl 1600 buffs so the 16x xp event is still a good idea (following your logic). How many average players have secured a titan? We need 20 simultaneous titan spawns every 3 hours so everyone has a chance at their very own secure. We should award all Arena participants with epic rewards since your "average" player may never win arena. Change you want, change we should have to make life easier for the "average" player... don't just leave it to composing but all aspects of the game.

+1

As of now - The Composing System works - it's effective as well - yes - it requires time to make pots - and level it up - this does not need a fix - it's good as it is now.

#13 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:52

How about an XP boost feature.

When you creating your potion (skills/level/duration) you have a checkbox you can tick. By ticking this checkbox it will give you an XP boost say 25% or 50%.

What this will mean is if you made a 20xp potion normally it would now return 25xp or 30xp (depending if it's made to be 25% or 50%). The downside is the Frag cost will be increased (suggest doubled).

This could also be aligned with an increase in gold cost as well.

#14 Ryebred

Ryebred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:57

I think that is a reasonable comprimise - will still take a long time to level - keep it challenging, and sink some frags in the process.

#15 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:59

How about an XP boost feature.

When you creating your potion (skills/level/duration) you have a checkbox you can tick. By ticking this checkbox it will give you an XP boost say 25% or 50%.

What this will mean is if you made a 20xp potion normally it would now return 25xp or 30xp (depending if it's made to be 25% or 50%). The downside is the Frag cost will be increased (suggest doubled).

This could also be aligned with an increase in gold cost as well.

That's nice and simple. I like that a lot. And if the Frags are consumed faster, then the Frag Events can hit more frequently and the Frag Market ought to continue to be a good source of income.

Not sure on the additional gold cost, as I hear rumblings that Composing is quite expensive on that front already. Plus we already have the instant finish feature.

#16 Ryebred

Ryebred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:34

could go as far as making frags an additional form of currency to instant finish...make frags absorbed paralell that of gold costs - just start them at much lower integer - and can offer both -sink frags & gold in one place

#17 Anonemesis

Anonemesis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:47

As far as I see it...no one is going to keep playing this game because of composing...it'll be other factors such as being able to afford/create potions for leveling and other what not activities...so in retrospect...instead of trying to create a roadblock for those who just don't feel or have the time to make 100's of potions in order to level up potions...make the process quicker at least for the first 50 levels...because all the naysayers are people who are hooked into this game and KNOW their going to be here years from now or have been here already for many years...but what we need is to attract more players...take off the fee to instant complete potions...and bam! no level 27 composers...but because people can pay...as its their right too...obviously their going to get to the end quicker which is fine but that's something people need to take into account before posting about leveling to quickly as not everyone has a huge swiss bank account at their disposal

Edited by xAnonemesisx, 06 March 2014 - 11:49.

Hate It Or Love It The Underdogs On Top. 

#18 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 13:32

apparently some folks would rather see players give up and walk away from the game instead of making it more user friendly for the average player.

I still believe a slight tweak is better than no tweak. I don't know about you guys but i spend 3-5 fsp a day instant finishing potions and still am only level 5 composing. i manage to get 10-12 potions a day made. even at that rate it would take me 1.3 years to make level 20....  2.6 yrs to make level 40 and 3 yrs to make level 50. how long do you think the game will hold an average gamers attention? i don't see it being 3 yrs. (yes yes some of us have played FS for 2x that....we're not average players)

#19 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 13:54

i dont think the formula is as bad as when i first saw it, i dont compose as agressively as i was and now it takes me about 12 days for a level give or take depending how lazy i am and ive been like that for about 7+ levels, im now lvl 26, thats after only mere months, activity should always be rewarded and i dont think its anywhere near as slow as it might seem and i dont think bry's compromise was too bad actually :)

EDIT: people should also keep in mind that activity is the way to level fast, its not actually the spending that makes the most difference :)

Edited by Undjuvion, 06 March 2014 - 13:56.

#20 Rocknoor

Rocknoor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 15:55

With regard to DomCorvis's plea to make composing easier...it might carry more weight if you had more than a Crystal Loyalty medal for over 5 1/2 years of playing...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're 1 day away from Ruby, that's still logging in around once every 3 days. Composing was designed to be an involved process that requires consistent effort not something that was designed to  be attained easily.  As far as your figures 10-12 potions a day at 3 to 5 FSP cost and only level 5 Composing...I have absolutely no idea how you come up with those figures or what you are doing.  I spend about 5 FSP a day making about 35 potions and I'm a level 19.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: