• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Falbal

Falbal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:14

I really miss a brightness setting in the game, or a setting to turn off the darkening of the environment at night.

When it gets dark in the game, there are things that I simply can't see, such as fishing shoals, and shaker plants in the forest. Other things I can barely make out.

It is a nice touch that it gets dark at night, but I don't think it should get so dark, that there are things we cannot do. I would actually prefer to be able to turn it off completely, compared to how it is now. The best thing would be a slider, so we can adjust the brightness ourselves, preferable one that limits how dark it can get.

#2 Blissy

Blissy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 23:31

I really miss a brightness setting in the game, or a setting to turn off the darkening of the environment at night.

When it gets dark in the game, there are things that I simply can't see, such as fishing shoals, and shaker plants in the forest. Other things I can barely make out.

It is a nice touch that it gets dark at night, but I don't think it should get so dark, that there are things we cannot do. I would actually prefer to be able to turn it off completely, compared to how it is now. The best thing would be a slider, so we can adjust the brightness ourselves, preferable one that limits how dark it can get.

omg yes! we really need a setting like this.  my screen is at 100% brightness and contrast and still when I'm in cave areas and alike I can't see stuff.   +infinity to this because we really need a way to see those way to dark areas. 

Slow but steady wins the race or something like that.

I'm just taking it slow, not sure about the steady.

*Pre-Steam release Player*

*Joined Spring of 2014 *

#3 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 March 2015 - 18:48

Going to take a blind shot at what this might be.

Some graphics adapters including some (all?) from Intel and Geforce introduced an auto brightness feature.  This adjusts the brightness level based on the predominant lighting on your screen.  It assumes that to be the background color.  Dark background, it will dim your screen.

Fortunately or unfortunately I don't have that feature on my Radeon so can't give detailed instructions.  All I can suggest is checking the graphics card control panel and looking for this feature.  Or check online and see if you can find instructions for disabling.

Note that this is ~not~ the same as the adaptive brightness feature for laptops in the Windows Power Management settings.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#4 Blissy

Blissy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 22:15

Some graphics adapters including some (all?) from Intel and Geforce introduced an auto brightness feature.  This adjusts the brightness level based on the predominant lighting on your screen.  It assumes that to be the background color.  Dark background, it will dim your screen.

Fortunately or unfortunately I don't have that feature on my Radeon so can't give detailed instructions.  All I can suggest is checking the graphics card control panel and looking for this feature.  Or check online and see if you can find instructions for disabling.

Note that this is ~not~ the same as the adaptive brightness feature for laptops in the Windows Power Management settings.

I have a geforce graphics card but I did go try to change it there and if I make it too bright it makes my desktop washed out looking so even with the little bit of adjustment the areas in game like caves and alike still are quite dark.   basically it just has a slider to adjust the brightness/contrast settings.

Slow but steady wins the race or something like that.

I'm just taking it slow, not sure about the steady.

*Pre-Steam release Player*

*Joined Spring of 2014 *

#5 Falbal

Falbal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:58

No, that is not it. It is the game itself that emulates day and night by making it bright or dark, and it happens several times a day. Don't you get that too when you are playing?

#6 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:37

No, that is not it. It is the game itself that emulates day and night by making it bright or dark, and it happens several times a day. Don't you get that too when you are playing?

Yes, I get the day/night cycle.  And caves are often dimmer then outside.  But it never gets so dim that it becomes difficult to see anything.  Even in the darkest parts of Eldevin there's never a problem.  Just enough to add ambiance.

That's why I thought of the auto brightness feature on some graphics cards.  If it decided to dim the brightness setting as Eldevin faded into night I could easily see it causing the problem described.

I might have the feature name wrong.  Searching for 'auto brightness' brought up links for disabling this on Intel graphics.  'Dynamic Brightness' found this link regarding nvidia http://rog.asus.com/...items-on-screen.  From that thread:

if you go into Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Adjust Video Color Settings", check "With Nvidia Settings:" and use full dynamic range, and disable "dynamic contrast enhancement." Restart computer and voila!! No more dimming on dark pages/programs!

Anyway, this was just a thought and may have no bearing on your issue.  (BTW, the purpose of auto brightness is apparently to improve quality of blu-ray and HD.)

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#7 Falbal

Falbal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:49

I don't think I have such fancy things on my computer. It doesn't even have a separate graphichs card (I ruined that by pouring Cola on it >.<). I am currently using the build in graphics card on the motherboard, and there are no such settings anywhere.

I can post some screenshots when it gets dark, and perhaps find out if mine are darker than normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: