Photo

About the loss of Solarfleet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: About the loss of Solarfleet (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play solarfleet if it had the non supporter restrictions removed?

1. Yes (10 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Maybe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 krinton

krinton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 23:30

Logged in a a couple of weeks ago and noticed that Solarfleet no longer exists. Which is a shame because even though as a non Supporter I was confined to a small portion of the game I actual enjoyed playing it and the community that was apart of Solarfleet. I spend my alot of free time in high school playing the game and chatting on the forums, and even after leaving high school I checked up on the forums from time to time.

With it's disappearance and shutdown I was wondering (this is directed at the Cows and the Admins) if you would be kind enough host up the server files and the other files required to host Solarfleet? I've ran into a couple of games/projects that when they go belly up the devs release the tool necessary for fans to continue playing the game and create their own underground communities. (A fine example of this is FOline: 2238). I know your a company and probably have alot of things to worry about, but I would really appreciate an answer. 

If this question offends you or you don't find it appropriate please contact me and I'll remove this post.

Thank you for your time

#2 021962

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:29

Considering they are still pulling supporter money from my bank account and my subscription was active. This I find irritating.

#3 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Australia

Posted 07 May 2014 - 15:32

I used to play Solarfleet years back, Red dwarf fed. (still have a fondness for gomo)

I quit for 2 reasons:

1. I realized there was no way to progress onto any form of actual game, without forking out cash. The starter system is like an extremely limited demo.

2. The loss of data chucking me back into a noob ship, lower level, without a built one from fed available.

Now I've only ever really paid into online based games that have a model where EVERYTHING gameplay related is obtainable through effort.

The most played game in the word, League of Legends, operates off this. They make money off cosmetics, and the unlocks being a paid instead of effort thing.

Thing is, people are willing to pay more when there are more players, it's this odd thing about your money being seen as prestigious in use - when other people see it.

And what's the easiest way to get players? Make it so people can play it without having to pay.

The money grub killed the game. That is all.

I hope it does come back as f2p, or source released.

If the former, it shows a level of business maturity, a gratitude to the players, a want to preserve history. Sentimental stuff people love.

If the latter, HCS might be able to make money from suing someone trying to make a profit off it anyways.

Don't let it die.

#4 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:45

Considering they are still pulling supporter money from my bank account and my subscription was active. This I find irritating.

When the game was taken down we cancelled all the subscriptions. If you still have a subscription active can you please contact our support so we can look into this for you?

Currently we have no plans to release the source code or host the game again but this may change in the future :)

#5 krinton

krinton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 16:17

Thank you for responding Hoofmaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: