BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,817 posts
  • Badge

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:17

Hi there Everyone.

You may have noticed that the Mountain Path has shrunk a little today. We have started working on trimming down the opening stages of the game. This is to make things easier, a little more straight forward for new players while providing a smoother leveling experience.

Bear in mind, this will result in several realms being removed, (like the Narrow Passage and Fire Chasms) while others will be merged together. In the case of realm being removed, anyone in those Realms will be teleported to the Mountain Path, so don't fear for your characters. Quests will be moved, and in some cases, simplified.

We intend to have a daily news post which will link to a forum thread where we can discuss changes and we can post up some of the changes we intend to work through on that day, so check back daily to see what's happening.

~ The Fallen Sword Team.

#2 thisple

thisple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:24

sounds like a great idea to me!

Might help keep some new players around a little longer :-)

#3 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:33

Please don't forget to update the Official Guide as well ,oP

#4 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,817 posts
  • Badge

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:36

The official Guide updates as we change things instantly! So no extra work there! Yay!

#5 onray24

onray24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Badge

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:54

i think it would be a good ideal to provide a list of players who will be more than happy to tutor new players when new players log on that way there is always someone to chat with and the new players can see this game is more of a social game lets say put a new box on the side one for tutors to see the new players and be able to chat with them and one for the new players

#6 CountFxUup

CountFxUup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:10

I like the chat box idea nothing big or flashy just something small and in the corner maybe that way new people can chat and ask any questions instead of thier only communication being guild invites with which they get pelted with. But i guess this idea would kill the shout box and such as people could spam thier stuff in chat instead of paying 1fsp to post it but maybe this would be a good change to warrant the removal of the shout box and front page listings? be cool to log on and chat with the whole FS community i think

#7 onray24

onray24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Badge

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:25

im not trying to help create a global chat i think that would be a good thing and a bad thing good thing is yes it would make this game more socal and the bad thing would be all the spamming some players would do and getting rid of the fs box would be a bad thing in my mind where else can you advertise for one hour at a time sell super elites and your buffs if we did do a global chat i think those things should be against the rules

#8 Grimwald

Grimwald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:31

The official Guide updates as we change things instantly! So no extra work there! Yay!

Hmm just checked the Guide.. wasn't able to see much difference between that map and the map on the wiki.. Are you sure its changed.. and yes, i deleted my cache...

#9 RobM

RobM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • South Africa

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:43

In the back of my head where the little voices live, the idea rolls around that maybe something like what is proposed about tutoring could be integrated with the Karma functionality that isn't "live" in the game yet, just on our profiles and preferences to opt in. It may be killing 2 creatures with one flaming fireball to integrate the two. i.e. one lot of dev as opposed to two dev cycles. Well that's what the voices say. :lol:

#10 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:45

i think it would be a good ideal to provide a list of players who will be more than happy to tutor new players when new players log on that way there is always someone to chat with and the new players can see this game is more of a social game lets say put a new box on the side one for tutors to see the new players and be able to chat with them and one for the new players

The mentor list works great even without karma,, a great place to look for buffers too.

A great update! I hope this means someone read the suggestions to keep new players and especailly dont forget to add something to teach them pvp!!

#11 TreeFrog

TreeFrog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Badge

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:48

This is a great idea! I found the mountain path pretty overwhelming when I started out. Its a bit like over stimulation with a baby, if you give them a room full of toys they wont know which one to play with first.

#12 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:53

Can there be an option to reset the beginning quests (with rewards removed of course) and go through the start again? We could help you with a players feedback on how it works :)

#13 uscx

uscx

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 19:13

I sacked a dot just to go see the new Mountain Path and get back to relic. Me likes. :P

#14 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 19:20

...a list of players who will be more than happy to tutor new players...

on my game screen "find a mentor" is buried under "find player"

maybe "find a mentor" should have its' own tab?

#15 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 20:26

I'm all in favour of the opening of the game being simplified, but wouldn't it be better to do it "stand-alone", all in 1 hit, test it thoroughly and then implement, rather than do it piecemeal where there are too many variables ?

#16 Tastria

Tastria

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 09 April 2013 - 20:28

I have to agree, for a new player its like having to program something without a manual. Way too much stuff to have to look through and remember. As a guildless person during my formative years, I almost quit any number of times. A mentor to call on would have been a HUGE help.

#17 Hoofmaster

Hoofmaster

Company Director

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:02

I have to agree, for a new player its like having to program something without a manual. Way too much stuff to have to look through and remember. As a guildless person during my formative years, I almost quit any number of times. A mentor to call on would have been a HUGE help.

What about if we added a notification (like the log notifications) for new players that linked them to the Mentor List page?

#18 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:15

a notification (like the log notifications) for new players that linked them to the Mentor List page?

might be seen as spam....or might be missed by newbs with multiple pages of being farmed in GvG (just an example, not trying to derail the thread)

#19 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:23

a notification (like the log notifications) for new players that linked them to the Mentor List page?

might be seen as spam....or might be missed by newbs with multiple pages of being farmed in GvG (just an example, not trying to derail the thread)

perhaps something on the left hand menu (like the reserve stam, log message), could be shown for the fist xx days, and when clicked you have the option to disable it (or enable it again in preferences).

*shrugs*

#20 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:31

perhaps something on the left hand menu (like the reserve stam, log message), could be shown for the fist xx days, and when clicked you have the option to disable it (or enable it again in preferences).

*shrugs*

Either evilbry's idea or add a quick link button on the world map that takes you to the mentor page would be best in my opinion.

Note: Have an option in preferences to disable the button when its no longer needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: