#1 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 20 March 2014 - 18:07

The Army and Mage quests need a bit of attention.

I believe that I read somewhere the players were, initially, going to pick one of the two quest lines - and if that's the case it sure seems that way. There are a number of times where these two questlines become cumbersome or difficult to players or decrease the strength of the storyline.

For example

1) Getting into Illaneska: It seems as though people taking different questlines were originally going to get to Illaneska at different levels (one via the main boat, one via the ferry guy just north of Crannoch) - which is cool. However, when doing both quest lines it becomes a bit strange. You can travel to Illaneska one way but not the other. Then you're doing quests to get into Illaneska when you already can get there. Which is weird.

2) Illaneska plague quests: These become strange because the quests are literally exactly the same. While in the warehouse you click on each plague barrel one time through for one quest, and then one time through for the second quest. When talking to NPCs (like the harbormaster who gives the quests) you essentially tell him you did something once and get a reward, and then tell him the same thing again and get another reward.

3) Enziostein: In two times of playing through these quests I've managed to go long enough in the army questline to "break" the wall in his room, but then I have to come back for the mage quest to talk to Enzio - and the wall is back. I remember there being a glitch in beta because of this - I think it's fixed now, but it's still weird to see the wall there, and then return again.

In addition there are a few more instances that I've forgot but were similarly weird. (Edit: I remember that the Yaroda Grove quests were weird, too. You essentially destroy the plagued thing twice - and the room changes when you go in. Bad for cohesion/realism.)

Possible fixes: 

1) Make players pick one or the other and double the xp gain of both. This might be the best idea. Add in some melee/ranged/mage rewards in the other line incase players decide to choose one and then switch spec. This would also enhance replayability for new players as they would have a somewhat different experience playing through as mage or as melee/ranged.

2) Remove some of the egregious double quests and add their xp and rewards to the "other" quest (i.e., make just one "visit the plagued warehouse" quest that rewards mage/melee/ranged ring). This destroys some of the roleplay of picking to side with army vs. mage. I'm sure that, since it seems like HCS changed the way the army/mage quests worked during development, that this was the intended way for things to go.

Either way I think they need a bit of TLC. :) Thanks.

Edited by Zshmaendal, 20 March 2014 - 18:08.

Guild Founder of The Golden Horde

Zshmaendal - Level 45 Prophet | Superfluous - Level 35 Warrior | Ulysses - Level 13 Ranger

Louis - Level 8 Warrior | Ephemeral - Level 12 Assassin | Connotation - Level 8 Mage

Crystal Cutting - 9 | Fishing - 10 | Forestry - 10 | Skinning - 8 | Farming - 19 | Foraging - 28 | Prospecting - 16

Alchemy - 36 | Cooking - 11 | Leatherworking - 4 | Weaponsmithing - 5 | Armorsmithing - 7 | Jewelry - 6 | Tailoring - 16

#2 EJK

EJK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 15:54

I might have understood you wrong, but my suggestion is that you can only choose EITHER army or council. NOT both. You should also be able to hop to the other line IF you have done everything in that chapter i.e. If you have been with the council before vault, you could change to army. Now you can make both, so they should buff the rewards if they make the change.

Also my brother who is ranger has been disappointed when at army you get a great sword and at council you get a great staff, but why can't you choose to get a BOW? They could make it possible to choose to take a bow after giving the sword to Major Rothar, in dialog: [at end] "or would you prefer a bow? My weapon-smiths have succeeded to get the effect on bows.".

IGN: Player. I usually think in longevity point of view.

#3 Akadria

Akadria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge
  • Estonia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:18

The storylines contradict each other because they weren't originally meant to be available at the same time; I would rather have these contradictions rather than being limited to only one of these story lines per character.

siggy2_zps0bcfeb13.png

#4 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:24

The storylines contradict each other because they weren't originally meant to be available at the same time; I would rather have these contradictions rather than being limited to only one of these story lines per character.

They could then just remove the few quests that are contradictory or troublesome and double the xp from the other quest (or a little more than double, taking into account things like extra kills that would happen because of two quests). I prefer the single route where you pick army or mage, but I'm fine with the above, too.

I might have understood you wrong, but my suggestion is that you can only choose EITHER army or council. NOT both. You should also be able to hop to the other line IF you have done everything in that chapter i.e. If you have been with the council before vault, you could change to army. Now you can make both, so they should buff the rewards if they make the change.

Also my brother who is ranger has been disappointed when at army you get a great sword and at council you get a great staff, but why can't you choose to get a BOW? They could make it possible to choose to take a bow after giving the sword to Major Rothar, in dialog: [at end] "or would you prefer a bow? My weapon-smiths have succeeded to get the effect on bows.".

I'd prefer to only choose one - seems like better roleplay to me. But I'm not too worried about it.

And yes, a bow (and 1h sword) would be really great.

Another annoying thing about current setup is that you have to carry a 2h sword around as mage (and vice versa) to finish the plague quests.

Zshmaendal - Level 45 Prophet | Superfluous - Level 35 Warrior | Ulysses - Level 13 Ranger

Louis - Level 8 Warrior | Ephemeral - Level 12 Assassin | Connotation - Level 8 Mage

Crystal Cutting - 9 | Fishing - 10 | Forestry - 10 | Skinning - 8 | Farming - 19 | Foraging - 28 | Prospecting - 16

Alchemy - 36 | Cooking - 11 | Leatherworking - 4 | Weaponsmithing - 5 | Armorsmithing - 7 | Jewelry - 6 | Tailoring - 16

#5 Rolantis

Rolantis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:03

I have to agree that it's very confusing when you choose both.  Just up the exp and have players choose only one.

#6 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:08

I have to agree that it's very confusing when you choose both.  Just up the exp and have players choose only one.

Agreed. Issues with players changing spec while leveling could be addressed by having quest rewards for each in each group. In addition (this might be harder to do and not especially useful), there could be a few levels where people are allowed to switch to the other group - say, level 20 and 30.

#7 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:37

Forcing the player to choose means F2P players cannot experience both quest lines.  This would go against the HCS goal of making all content available to both F2P and P2P.

After all content is complete (including endgame and PvP) then I could certainly see HCS going back and rewriting those quests.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#8 Susej

Susej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:00

Forcing the player to choose means F2P players cannot experience both quest lines.  This would go against the HCS goal of making all content available to both F2P and P2P.

After all content is complete (including endgame and PvP) then I could certainly see HCS going back and rewriting those quests.

I dont agree WB and ASV give enough money(chests) so that you can trade enough ep-gold even yesterday  i bough 100ep for 140 gold, in 4 weeks a player that only does asv and WB can do a new char.

There are many ways to make gold. a few hours and you can have 1k of cotton i have seen players paying 7ep per 100 cotton, that is 700ep ....

That being said i agree with him and disagree, since for new players there are 4 classes that would  be prone to the eldevin army quests and only 2 for the arcane council.

Not that it is a problem i agree that doing both is very odd

Edited by Susej, 24 March 2014 - 08:08.

OCD POT BREWER HOUSE

Need level 32 pots order here

Need level 40 pots order here

Need Draft pots order here

Need Elixir pots order here

#9 Silitas

Silitas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Italy

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:26

Yeah, I think the best thing would be let the player choose only one faction and storyline (so or army or council) with double exp and gold reward! This would make the story much more enjoyable for me! ;)  

Silitas returned to Fallen Sword after a lot of years!

Italian Player of the guild Esercito Degli Italiani!

#10 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:33

I don't really think so. First off, the two quest lines are nearly identical, the main difference really being who gives you the quest. Second, as others have said, they can easily trade for EP.

#11 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 14:27

Just an fyi.  My previous comment had nothing to do with quest rewards or EP.  Not sure what I said to imply this, but I apologize. 

To clarify, I was referring to a statement HCS made a while back that all areas and quests would be available for F2P players.  With only a single character, I took it to imply that character would have the ability to experience every quest.  And of course, a player does not have to do both.

On further reflection, some back tracking.  Saying all are available but the player must choose is a fair interpretation.  I have to agree it has several advantages; improving the story, encourage players to buy a birthstone, and opening the possibility for more leveling quests later (after most other aspects of the game are complete).

In short, I'm saying I like the idea, but not sure how to interpret 'all quests available'.  If time allows someday, the best solution is rewriting the quests so they make sense side by side.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#12 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 March 2014 - 14:33

Just an fyi.  My previous comment had nothing to do with quest rewards or EP.  Not sure what I said to imply this, but I apologize. 

Not at all! Thank you for participating in the discussion. :) What you said about the HCS comment is true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: