#1 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:12

Well it's come to my attention that some people still think the arena is a win button for the rich players and for those who are in guild which have hundreds of expensive sets and epics. To be honest, some of this is true, especially at lower levels considering there are VERY low chances of winning a low level (epic-allowing) tournaments without an epic. There are too many low level epics now anyway.

My idea is to introduce a part of the arena that does NOT allow Legendary/Super Elite/Crystalline/Epic items. Only Common/Rare/Unique. I think this would give more people the chance to think about skill in the arena rather than "what set is most efficient for this level.. OH it's too expensive never mind". I can't really see a down side to this. More use for common/rare/unique items so not everything will be thrown into composing. It will get more people involved as they wouldn't need to have sets worth hundreds of fsps just to stand a chance of winning. And more people involved means more gold sinking, more arena items available, more arena activity. :)

#2 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:21

would give elites more use :D *thumbs up*

#3 Billybob

Billybob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 15:03

Great Idea!!

#4 Noeni

Noeni

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 June 2013 - 15:19

I can say that there are lots of LE sets that can be used to put arena set together as well as common,unique and rare items to mix in if you know how to put the sets together and calculate the stats. I have expensive sets but that doesn't guarantee me a win if I don't know how to use them.I have lost many arena using expensive sets, and have won a few ,there are lots of low level LE sets that are excellent for arena purpose.and am sure many are using them and winning.I don't see where anymore change are needed in the arena ,most people just want an easy win the arena is suppose to prove how good /skilled one is in competing.once you gain experience and knowledge it's enjoyable and addictive.

bannerfans_6199711.png

#5 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 15:31

+1, been asking for something like that for 3 years now...anything to get arena back flowing again..

#6 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 June 2013 - 15:38

I can say that there are lots of LE sets that can be used to put arena set together as well as common,unique and rare items to mix in if you know how to put the sets together and calculate the stats. I have expensive sets but that doesn't guarantee me a win if I don't know how to use them.I have lost many arena using expensive sets, and have won a few ,there are lots of low level LE sets that are excellent for arena purpose.and am sure many are using them and winning.I don't see where anymore change are needed in the arena ,most people just want an easy win the arena is suppose to prove how good /skilled one is in competing.once you gain experience and knowledge it's enjoyable and addictive.

I understand your post. I've been playing in the arena on and off for the last 2 or 3 years. I'm getting close to my silver medal so I have tried A LOT of different set ups for each level. If this idea was implemented then more people would feel confident enough to compete in the arena. If they were persistent enough, they could go on to obtain the more expensive LE and SE sets.

I don't think I've ever seen an all common/rare item set WIN an arena. It's nearly impossible since most of the LE sets nowadays are overpowered for their levels.

#7 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 June 2013 - 16:05

bump - any other opinions?

#8 KrypWalk

KrypWalk

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 20:04

+1 to idea. 

#9 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:43

Why has no one thought of this yet??? Would be a great addition to the arena :) But still players who can get FF common items will have upper hand in the Forge allowed tourneys but if there was no forges allowed it would work well :)

#10 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:14

i dont like to be negative to topics i didnt create so ill start by saying ive liked this idea when its been previously threaded about, personally i dont think this will create the rush to the arena one could hope for or at least not a permanent one, not that it wouldnt make a nice additional improvement/new novelty and create a lil more variety,

if it were me in charge of implementing an arena change id be more inclined to work on shindrak's arena token idea(another thread so i wont derail further),

i think the activity/online numbers in the game is whats causing the slowdown in the arena, itd only take another 10-20 more arena players playing actively to speed it up considerably, the kind of people that would be in this class are the ones who would be joining non-stop with persistence to force their way to the medal, trying to get people who arent very interested cause they always lose(and would find themselves losing again soon enough once this change was mastered) are not likely to say 'im getting the medal no matter what' or they would most likely already be working on it, new blood to the game AND new blood with that determination to suceed no matter the losses they accumulate are the class of player that would speed up the arena, they need to be found and roped into the fs world,

failing that, new items to invent would cause a temporary flurry.

finally, i will say its a good idea regardless :)

#11 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:21

hopefully the new composing thing will help arena, as crystalline items will be sought after again...i cant wait to see what effects composing will do for other segments of the game...

#12 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:23

Undjuvion's assessment is spot on. If I could figure out why I keep losing, I would do arena but I have no clue why I get so dominated. I did well in the beginner arena but my buttocks is being handed to me in regular arena. I guess it takes a special type of patience or there is some secret that no one wants to share (why would they)

#13 morderme

morderme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:34

I think it is a great idea -- regardless of the amount of, or lack of, players available to participate. 

Another thing needs to change as well.  That is, the amount of time it takes to fill a tournament -- some can take days to fill.  I would suggest putting a time limit to join.  First in = first on the tournament.  When time runs out, if you only have 5 signed up, the last one in is dropped off (and entrance fee returned, not unlike losing a bid on the AH) and the tournament is between only the first four to sign up.  You could do this in groups of 4.  That is, a set of 4, a set of 8 and a set of 16.  Any players who joined between those numbers when time runs out, are dropped and their fee is returned.  Another example, if 11 sign up and time runs out, the last 3 to join are dropped and only 8 compete.

A variation of the above would be that the "odd players out" are determined randomly.

Those are my thoughts.

#14 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:59

i dont like to be negative to topics i didnt create so ill start by saying ive liked this idea when its been previously threaded about, personally i dont think this will create the rush to the arena one could hope for or at least not a permanent one, not that it wouldnt make a nice additional improvement/new novelty and create a lil more variety,

if it were me in charge of implementing an arena change id be more inclined to work on shindrak's arena token idea(another thread so i wont derail further),

Yeah I like the arena token idea too! However, it's not going to change some people's opinions that the arena is monopolised by people who have access to the most expensive epics and LE sets that give the best stats. You could still combine the common/rare/unique tourneys with the arena token idea and implement them both. Don't see how that could hurt anybody :)

#15 GFXGUYHALO

GFXGUYHALO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 14:54

Is this a good idea?

Since level 1000's and higher levels enter the pvp arena they are obviously going to win, right? So why don't we have a PvP Arena Band: 25 - 49, 50 - 99, 100 - 149, 150 - 199 and so on.

halo2sig_zps13687e76.png

Check out my Graphics Shop:

http://forums.hunted...showtopic=58996

#16 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 June 2013 - 15:03

Is this a good idea?

Since level 1000's and higher levels enter the pvp arena they are obviously going to win, right? So why don't we have a PvP Arena Band: 25 - 49, 50 - 99, 100 - 149, 150 - 199 and so on.

It doesn't work that way. Only the stats of the items worn are counted. No level up points, no guild bonuses, no buff bonuses etc. If you want, check out the top arena players and some are under level 100. You don't need to be of a high level just to stand a chance, it's all about the gear! :)

#17 GFXGUYHALO

GFXGUYHALO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 15:06

yes I know but level 1000s have the better gear in this game so what about the idea I just said

halo2sig_zps13687e76.png

Check out my Graphics Shop:

http://forums.hunted...showtopic=58996

#18 johnagod

johnagod

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 June 2013 - 15:18

yes I know but level 1000s have the better gear in this game so what about the idea I just said

Well of course they have better gear but that's why there is a maximum equipment level for each tournament.

For example if the maximum equipment level is 132, only gear that is level 132 and under will be counted. If an item is level 133 or above, the stats of that item will not be counted in the tournament.

#19 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 15:26

your idea would be very bad as nothing would ever start.....not enough players and not needed..as said by someone else...nobody has any advantage in arena..level 1700 or level 100....they just have more experience and that helps them...i am only level 319..i beat those level 1000+ players often..it is all about gear and how to use your combat moves..and boatloads of patience from losing many times..but 3 of 4, 7 of 8, or 15 of 16 lose, so dont feel bad abut losing....not easy to win..makes for a challenge..

#20 Dulcharn

Dulcharn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 June 2013 - 22:32

The proposal for implementing rare and common items only tourneys, is an interesting idea to entertain. But it would get really complicated really fast, at an already complicated aspect of the game. I could spend hours deliberating stats and gear for tourneys even today after achieving my silver medal. I still think it's complicated, because your opponents change all the time. Adapting to arena styles is quite complex. I use my intuition 85% of the time, and 15% of the time I count my stats.

In a way, I think adding the rare/common items-only section to the arena will make the future introduction of cool sets less attractive. As in: "I don't need to get myself the new chomper set, because I can play the arena without it." If ya get my drift. But it could be a possible option in the arena. I'd test it out for sure ;)

Undjuvion's assessment is spot on. If I could figure out why I keep losing, I would do arena but I have no clue why I get so dominated. I did well in the beginner arena but my buttocks is being handed to me in regular arena. I guess it takes a special type of patience or there is some secret that no one wants to share (why would they)

Patience mostly, yotwehc. Honest. Patience to find the right stats, the right moves, the right roll of the dice.

As one guru once said, the arena relies 50% on gear and 50% on luck. I believe this. The same guru once said, if you don't participate you won't win. His name is shindrak. He's a legend and he's right.

Trial and error, mate. It's the only way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: