RISDMAC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Badge
  • Ireland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 14:46

I was grinding away my level 40 foraging yesterday and got hit with a bit of connectivity issues and ended up disconnecting twice.

Each disconnect lasted approximately 2-3 minutes.

When I logged back in I was in the same spot on TA but my smuggled items had been hit with ~50% reduction.

Should this have happened?

I am not particularly concerned in this instance since both my alchemy and cooking are maxed for that tier so I didn't need the resources but if I had been gathering for crafting purposes and gotten hit with the DC I'd be a little annoyed...

I understand that this may be in place to prevent people from disconnecting to avoid PK'ers but isn't the 20 second logout delay in place specifically for this reason?

Regards,

J

#2 HuMoR

HuMoR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 14:57

the answers are yes and no!

The 30 sec disconnect timing isn't to help you at all :) its basically a hit this button to not see yourself die and lose 100% of your items button :)

also each death or dc is 55%-90% item lossage. just flaws of the game..ive pointed them out before in chels s post about it.

Characters:
Guthix:
Level 40 Mage.
Chelsea's Man<3

#3 Kijjum

Kijjum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 15:00

woah... you're back?  :P

#4 RISDMAC

RISDMAC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Badge
  • Ireland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 15:51

woah... you're back?  :P

Technically I never left.....

I moved house and had a delayed internet installation lasting over a month ;)

But bad Kijjum for going off topic *slaps on wrist* :P

@Guthix: I have no problem with losing smuggled items on death as that is the idea of the area, but a punishment for dc'ing seems harsh and I haven't been able to connect to the internet in a month+ so wasn't sure if this was an issue or not (or even if it had been raised before)

#5 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 August 2014 - 18:05

The issue is someone avoiding death by disconnecting.  I don't believe there is a way for HCS to distinguish between a real DC and one initiated by the player.  Not sure how much coding it would take, another solution uses the 30sec delay after a disconnect.  If no one attacks you in that time you keep your items.

Doesn't solve the issue if there are any PK'ers waiting to attack that 'statue', but it's a bit better.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#6 Samurai

Samurai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 19:22

im pretty sure its bad luck there. Disconnecting is the same thing as afking for 30 seconds. Its really unlikely that you would afk then.

#7 RISDMAC

RISDMAC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Badge
  • Ireland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 22:33

The issue is someone avoiding death by disconnecting.  I don't believe there is a way for HCS to distinguish between a real DC and one initiated by the player.  Not sure how much coding it would take, another solution uses the 30sec delay after a disconnect.  If no one attacks you in that time you keep your items.

Doesn't solve the issue if there are any PK'ers waiting to attack that 'statue', but it's a bit better.

If I got attacked while on a DC well I was unfortunately fair game and such is life, I'd log back in at the res point and understand why I'd lost my items...

But if I re-logged in attacked after 30 seconds and still had my items I'd be happy and go bank my stuff ;-)

I really don't see the need to take the hit in gathered smuggled items (tokens and gold lost wouldn't bother me in this instance, just the resources)

I would assume that when I see the 30 seconds log out at the main screen that I am still attackable in game ->

this would automatically distinguish between someone trying to sneakily avoid death by jumping servers and a genuine disconnect....

Hopefully this could be reviewed at some point  :)

#8 Brioche

Brioche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:31

Honestly, I don't see why people should lose resources when they disconnect or log out on TA. I believe that they should only lose resources if they are killed. To avoid the issue of people forcibly disconnecting, make it such that avatars can still be attacked for 30 seconds after logging out or disconnecting from TA.

Log out/disconnect => Ghost avatar left behind for 30 seconds => Enemy player nearby kills ghost => lose resources => 30 seconds later, log out

Log out/disconnect => Ghost avatar left behind for 30 seconds => Nobody around to kill => log out safely => no loss of resources

Making players lose resources for logging out or disconnecting is an unnecessary penalty.

Edited by Brioche, 07 August 2014 - 01:32.

#9 Kijjum

Kijjum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:43

But bad Kijjum for going off topic *slaps on wrist* :P

:( ow, that hurts ya know

#10 RISDMAC

RISDMAC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Badge
  • Ireland

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:36

Honestly, I don't see why people should lose resources when they disconnect or log out on TA. I believe that they should only lose resources if they are killed. To avoid the issue of people forcibly disconnecting, make it such that avatars can still be attacked for 30 seconds after logging out or disconnecting from TA.

Log out/disconnect => Ghost avatar left behind for 30 seconds => Enemy player nearby kills ghost => lose resources => 30 seconds later, log out

Log out/disconnect => Ghost avatar left behind for 30 seconds => Nobody around to kill => log out safely => no loss of resources

Making players lose resources for logging out or disconnecting is an unnecessary penalty.

Couldn't agree more :D  well said :D

#11 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:04

Unfortunately from our end we can't tell if a disconnect is your internet being flakey or if you pulled the cable out of the wall to avoid losing items. We treat a disconnect as an intentional logout for this reason. If you (deliberately) logout and yet somehow survive the 30 seconds you're still in-game, we can't distinguish whether that's an attempt to avoid losing your items which is why we impose the penalty.

The situation you describe sounds about right and we don't really have plans to change it. Just be careful about going to TA if your internet doesn't seem stable.

#12 RISDMAC

RISDMAC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Badge
  • Ireland

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:14

Unfortunately from our end we can't tell if a disconnect is your internet being flakey or if you pulled the cable out of the wall to avoid losing items. We treat a disconnect as an intentional logout for this reason. If you (deliberately) logout and yet somehow survive the 30 seconds you're still in-game, we can't distinguish whether that's an attempt to avoid losing your items which is why we impose the penalty.

The situation you describe sounds about right and we don't really have plans to change it. Just be careful about going to TA if your internet doesn't seem stable.

Would it be possible to leave the characters avatar permenently attackable if they logout/disconnect in TA until they log back in?

This way a PK'er can come along and kill me if I try to be sneaky (also increase the logout out times for server hoppers to 1 minute so they can't try to be extra sneaky)

This way if it was a genuine disconnect and I havent been attacked, all is well -

If i disconnect and I've been attacked, well I probably would have been attacked anyway (and died in my case as I suck at PVP) so all is still well ;)

And if I was trying to be sneaky I get punished as I should have...

I just think there is a better solution that slapping everyone with hit to their resources.

#13 aliadnan12

aliadnan12

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 August 2014 - 13:20

i also have many issues with my internet and get disconnected a lot of times and sometimes one after the after , this sometimes results in me loosing a nice amount of resources ...what do i do ?

sometimes it reconnects instantly sometimes after a min or so 

Edited by aliadnan12, 08 August 2014 - 13:20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: