37 replies to this topic

#1 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 November 2012 - 21:33

Warning: The author of this post is biased in every way, shape, and form. He resides in a small guild.

As my guild is inching ever so slowly towards the Top 250 guilds, I've noticed and pondered about the Top 250 guild list, T250 hereafter. I'll number each point so as to avoid a wall of text.

Observations about the T250:
1) The list is a prime location for recruitment, new players would rather go with a winner to be sure, generally.

2) The list is chock full with dead or abandoned or inactive guilds, just sitting there taking up space. I could name a few as examples, but wouldn't want to embarrass those long-gone folks.

Ponderings about the T250:
1) How would new players react in seeing so many guilds in the game....wow, activity. How would new players react when they realize most of them are inactive....wow, back to ____. Who wants to sift through a bunch of dead guilds?

2) Should the T250 not consist of mainly active and thriving guilds? Would this not indicate to all where the true successful guilds reside?

3) The reason "stale" guilds become stale is due to kicked/leaving players and inactives.

4) How could this list become a true indicator of the top 250, and not just dead guilds hampering smaller guilds from prime advertising? Behold!

- The decay rate on inactive and vested guild XP is TOO SLOW.

- The decay rate on inactive members should increase or be implemented (I don't believe there is any decay on inactives at this time, but I could be wrong).

- The decay rate on guild xp where by the members jump to another guild should be increased.

- All vested guild xp should decay (at a slower rate than above) where by the only way to replace it is fresh leveling activity. I don't have accurate information regarding the current decay situation, but if these relative measures are taken, the desired effect would take place.

Before you spew, "he's from a small guild, this would only benefit his kind", ask yourself:

-Don't we need to reward current and active guilds?
-Do we need a top 250 list that represents top guilds from 2007?
-Don't we need some jockeying and movement in the list to represent current efforts?
-Don't we need to provide an accurate state of the nation to new players? Seeing all these dead guilds is depressing, but there are many new ones that will never get a chance to be noticed as the big ole dead ones are lingering around. Bury them, or get active.

-DeadParrot.
Swearing, even starred out, is not acceptable on the forums. Cheers!

#2 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2012 - 21:57

There are two Top 250 guild lists ;) One based on "ACTUAL GUILD XP" and one based on "LOCKED GUILD XP"

2 yrs ago, I suggested a guild xp decay system viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98602 and the two top 250 lists came about from that request :- viewtopic.php?p=1168627#p1168627

#3 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:19

Pardoux, I've seen the actual, still rife with dead and inactive guilds. This does not solve my dilemma, decay rates must be increased from the current rate. Then the Actual List will be more meaningful.

DP

#4 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:25

Pardoux, I've seen the actual, still rife with dead and inactive guilds. This does not solve my dilemma, decay rates must be increased from the current rate. Then the Actual List will be more meaningful.

DP

Ah, I think I know what you're meaning here - guilds full of inactive mules ...

Yes, I'd like to see their XP decay too (even though I have some in my guild)

Easier solution tho ? - just discount any players contributed XP in ANY guild if they are inactive for more than 7 days and, of course, count it again if/when they log in again.

#5 fs_centus

fs_centus
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:30

DP

^+1

I think this could be solved by "guild lock" the XP from a player as soon as they're inactive (30 days off)... Will be regenerated as soon as the player log in (less than 30 days inactivity)

#6 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:32

DP

Easier solution tho ? - just discount any players contributed XP in ANY guild if they are inactive for more than 7 days and, of course, count it again if/when they log in again.

Interesting. However, those offline should have their guild XP decay, so if they contributed x when they logged off, upon logging on their contribution should be x minus some decay algorithm. I like the idea.

#7 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:36

DP

Interesting. However, those offline should have their guild XP decay, so if they contributed x when they logged off, upon logging on their contribution should be x minus some decay algorithm. I like the idea.

We're all offline tho (other than those on 24/7 auto-refresh) so should EVERYONE start to lose XP ? - Nope, don't think I could sign-up to that ...

#8 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:39

Instead of decay why not when you go offline for more then X days your exp no longer counts until you log back on???

#9 fs_cramertaz

fs_cramertaz
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:43

How about just get rid of the xp lock all together and create an "auto kick" of players who have been inactive for x amount of days?

#10 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:48

How about just get rid of the xp lock all together and create an "auto kick" of players who have been inactive for x amount of days?

HAHAHA - can you imagine the outcry ??

#11 fs_cramertaz

fs_cramertaz
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:56

But it sure would shake things up and give a truer list of the top guilds.....just my worthless opinion :wink:

#12 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:02

i wonder how difficult it would be to expand (all) top lists to 500, or 1000 even

#13 iambrad

iambrad

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:07

We have touched upon this topic before. What usually follows: Players inactive after 30 days-guild goes into xp lock as if they left or been booted. Players add, "well, if they go into xp lock then all their guild tagged items they are carrying go into the 'guild mailbox,' " so they can't be mules anymore for their guilds. More players add, "well, then they should be gvg targets still if their guild wants to keep them around and make use of them as mules/afraid of xp loss, or honorary members." If player becomes active again, then they can hold guild tagged items, guild regains xp and so forth until they go inactive again. To which I agree to all of these.

#14 fs_cramertaz

fs_cramertaz
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:13

We have touched upon this topic before. What usually follows: Players inactive after 30 days-guild goes into xp lock as if they left or been booted. Players add, "well, if they go into xp lock then all their guild tagged items they are carrying go into the 'guild mailbox,' " so they can't be mules anymore for their guilds. More players add, "well, then they should be gvg targets still if their guild wants to keep them around and make use of them as mules/afraid of xp loss, or honorary members." If player becomes active again, then they can hold guild tagged items, guild regains xp and so forth until they go inactive again. To which I agree to all of these.

I can agree with that but I still feel the xp lock still doesn't truly reflect the top guilds. If you want to be on top and stay on top you should have to work to keep what you have. I mean no offense to any of the guild currently ranked T250 but the system should reflect activity not just past players contributions. Once again, just an opinion :?

#15 iambrad

iambrad

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 23:18

Oh, I do agree with you on this.

#16 kevon218

kevon218

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:10

We're all offline tho (other than those on 24/7 auto-refresh) so should EVERYONE start to lose XP ? - Nope, don't think I could sign-up to that ...

i think he means that like every hour or everyday everyone's guild xp will decay(kind like Stam gain being every hour but with opposite effects on guild xp). so it doesnt matter if you are on or not

#17 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:09

i think he means that like every hour or everyday everyone's guild xp will decay(kind like Stam gain being every hour but with opposite effects on guild xp). so it doesnt matter if you are on or not

Still don't agree with that at all ... by all means, discount inactive players contributed XP in the rankings (until they log in again at least), but that's as far as I'd personally go.

#18 koenvdv

koenvdv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Badge
  • Belgium

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16

How about splitting the guild xp ranking in total and monthly?

#19 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 November 2012 - 13:13

The current splitting of the T250 serves no purpose but to confuse new players. The increasing decay model as inactive time increases along with a reverse recharge when players log back on seems to encourage time in game. Forbin in my guild suggests a slow but exponential decay as inactives are offline, then a slow recharge for those returning from inactivity, gaining exponentially as consistency is shown. I like it.

I would also support the expansion of the list to top 500. Especially if no action is taken with decay. Either way, this mechanism is very broken and antiquated.

DP.

Ps pardon the errors, I don't have an iPhone app for FS yet.

#20 hbklives

hbklives

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:45

i wonder how difficult it would be to expand (all) top lists to 500, or 1000 even

I actually like the idea of a Top 500 list for guilds. You'd have a lot more to choose from and it'd probably easier to break into that Top 500. It could be a competition of sorts really.

Seeing smaller guilds get more active as they fight to keep their spot alive, kinda like the Top 100 for monthly.

tumblr_ohmmkinSKX1siy7m0o1_540.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: